Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 71 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
post #2101 of 2107 Old 06-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yup I had the flat RCA and I exchanged it for the leaf 30. I have all of the channels now (and sub channels) except for PBS, which is, of course, the one I want most. I actually got the 13s one morning when I was getting ready for work, but that was apparently a fluke because I haven't gotten them since. I just ordered the Winegard FreeVision Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna to see if that works any better. If it doesn't, I'll just have to watch PBS when I get appleTV. I'm not sure if cableone puts a limit on the amount of internet usage you can have, so that's why I wanted to get PBS with the antenna if I could.

I wondered how the antennas would work with the taller buildings, etc. I had comcast/xfinity in MPLS and LOVED it. Everyone else hated comcast, but I was used to cableone, so that's probably why I thought it was the best thing ever. My wifi was amazing so I was pretty shocked to find out the issues that cableone has with wifi.

Thanks for your help and I'll post back once I get the new winegard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2107 Old 06-11-2015, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you want to pick it up locally, I believe Home Depot has both the flatwave and the freevision on the shelves -- or at least they did about 6 months ago when I was last in there. The Freevision will need some minor assembly. If I recall correctly, the instructions weren't terribly clear - but just using the picture of it as a guide was enough. Hardest was holding the elements in place with one hand while getting the screw tightened with the other. :-)

The 13's are High-VHF, which of course is a challenge for any of the UHF-antennas we've mentioned. In the cities, it was always Fox (channel 9) and KARE (channel 11) that were the hardest to find that one spot where everything would come in. Here - I didn't have quite as much trouble. I mean, it took some experimentation to find the location where everything would come in (and no drop-outs when I got up to walk to the fridge) - but once I found it, I didn't really see any big difference when using rabbit ears (for the VHF elements) vs something that looked a little better like the Flatwave or the HD-Blade wide I'm using in the living room.

Of course -- now that I gave up the cities apartment and moved here full-time, right after I leave, they do some channel reassignment and now there's a completely good UHF-only fox station on their 29 frequency in addition to the VHF 9. :-(
post #2103 of 2107 Old 06-12-2015, 07:36 AM

Ugh I thought I checked everywhere, but I forgot about home depot. It looks like it's in stock and $5.00 cheaper than what I paid

I'm getting the freevision version, so I hope it's not too complicated. It supposedly does good with VHF, so I guess I will find out.

I bet there are a lot more channels to get in MPLS. I miss that place esp. in the summer
post #2104 of 2107 Old 06-12-2015, 09:02 AM

Liked: 1
I live thirty miles south of Fargo and am able to get all local channels (except for that forementioned 4-1 but that is a problem on THEIR end) and I have an attic antenna. Here's the trick I found. I had to buy an amplifier to get the signals. Here's the CATCH. If you buy ANY amplifier, it will help BUT you will NOT get PBS (13-1, 13-2, 13-3 or 13-4) UNLESS you buy an amplifier WITH an FM Trap on it and turn it on. I had a radio engineer guide me on this as one of the radio station frequencies messes with the local PBS signal. Once you use that amp with the FM trap, I get 4 Prairie Public stations... AND 4 additional Pioneer Public channels out of western Minnesota but this is probably due to my closer proximenty to Alexandria & Fergus Falls. I went to S&L Electronics in Fargo for that style ampilfier with the trap on it.
post #2105 of 2107 Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 AM

Liked: 1
Looks like you can try a cheap FM Trap only (no amp) if you can still locate a Radio Shack. They show one online for only $2.99
post #2106 of 2107 Old 06-14-2015, 01:46 PM

So I got the winegard freeevision and am thinking it probably shouldn't be marketed as an indoor/outdoor antenna. In my area, it doesn't work any better than the leaf 30 indoors. When I could get channel 13, I could hardly get any other channels, so I went back to my leaf.

Then on Saturday night around 3am we had a storm and despite the fact that storms aren't supposed to affect OTA reception, I couldn't get any of the channel fours and even the next day, with only slight rain, the channel fours were still dropping out. So I decided to try the winegard again and finally found a spot where all of the channels worked, but I was hanging it from the blinds with wire. Since this probably wouldn't work long-term (the winegard is rather large), I decided to try hanging the leaf from this spot and it works just as good. However, during all this time, the rain finally cleared up, so I wonder if the next time it sprinkles I will be out of luck again

I think I am going to try an amplified antenna before I give up and just stick with the leaf 30 and hope for god weather lol. I'm probably going to try a winegard amplified antenna since it sounds like the leaf amplified isn't too good. I did go to radio shack and see if they had an fm trap, but they didn't and now I don't think I probably need one since it's working for now.
post #2107 of 2107 Unread Today, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
long distance tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT Air View Post
Yep. 4.2 is now H&I Unsure if it's a hiccup or what (COZI being replaced) 4.1 has been blank for a while now. Noticed a few days ago some update screen (looked to be some internet equipment) for a while, then back to programming.
Pembina(?) what are U using for an antenna?
Sorry, but they need a website, with contact info.

Using 91XG Uni-Directional Ultra Long Range TV Antenna with pre amp . Get god reception on tropo bounce a few nights a week late night early morning . no 4.1 though, old box picks the number but no images.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page