Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #2161 of 2178 Old 01-06-2016, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by egftechman View Post
I haven't had cable or satellite for over decade...has Cozi or any of the other KRDK streams made it to local cable lineups?
I haven't seen any of the KRDK channels show up on Midcontinent yet. I've sent them a couple of emails requesting it, but so far nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2178 Old 01-08-2016, 11:32 AM

Liked: 0
Anyone else notice that KRDK is 'squishing'* Cozi, Comet, Decades and H&I? Many of the commercials run on these channels are not 'squished'. It's absolutely 100% annoying to have to constantly find the aspect button when tuning to these channels. Then again when another channel is selected.
*vertical blank space on and within each side of the 4:3 frame.
EDIT: I doubt midco will carry any KRDK as none of the channels are a 'major' netork on their own. They'll only carry a sub-channel that's broadcast from a 'major'. --IMHO-- This is, unless KRDK wants to pay 'to play'

Last edited by FaT Air; 01-08-2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: IMHO KRDK midco
post #2163 of 2178 Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 AM

I emailed TitanTv about the inaccurate listing for KRDK, so hopefully soon it's fixed. Here's their reply:
Thank you for your email. We will have a representative contact the station to request they keep us updated with channel changes. We appreciate your care for our guide.

TitanTV, Inc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pastedImage.png
Views:	33
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1214026  
post #2164 of 2178 Old 02-02-2016, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Justice Network on Forum Stations

Justice Network has started on the ND Forum stations (although not officially announced yet). Aspect not quite nailed down yet on the broadcast.

Fargo - 6.4
Grand Forks - 8.4
Bismarck - 17.2
Minot - 14.2
post #2165 of 2178 Old 02-03-2016, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Justice Network has started on the ND Forum stations (although not officially announced yet). Aspect not quite nailed down yet on the broadcast.

Fargo - 6.4
Grand Forks - 8.4
Bismarck - 17.2
Minot - 14.2
Not on WDAZ yet...my guess is this will take the place of the CW
post #2166 of 2178 Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 AM

Liked: 10
I see that Midco has added WDAY Justice on 592, and FINALLY switched Xtra on 596 to the HD signal.
post #2167 of 2178 Old 02-12-2016, 05:52 PM

WDAZ 8.4, Justice, is On the Air
post #2168 of 2178 Old 04-26-2016, 09:05 AM

Anyone in other places in the Red River Valley noticing any activity Gray's LPTVs they purchased last fall? Nothing on channel 30 in Grand Forks yet. I would think we would start seeing test signals soon if they need to be ready to carry CW by September
post #2169 of 2178 Old 04-27-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egftechman View Post
Anyone in other places in the Red River Valley noticing any activity Gray's LPTVs they purchased last fall? Nothing on channel 30 in Grand Forks yet. I would think we would start seeing test signals soon if they need to be ready to carry CW by September
Nothing in the south end of the Valley. Personally - I'm not a fan of this plan. I absolutely do not see how LPTV (even multiple ones) are going to give the same coverage as WDAY/Z. I have a feeling that outside of the metro areas - there will be big chunks that have the CW now ... but won't have it in September.
post #2170 of 2178 Old 04-28-2016, 04:23 AM

Unless they are going to change CBS to SD on kvly and run NBC HD plus CBS, Me and CW in SD, then put CBS HD on the LPTVs.
If only the ATSC spec would have been updated to include H.264 in like 2005, so most of the receivers that purchased for the 2009 switch would have the capability, would've almost doubled the capacity, we could have seen 1080p video and/or more multiplexed streams (maybe 4k video? 6Mhz might be tight for that, even with h.264)
post #2171 of 2178 Old 05-25-2016, 07:11 PM

KRDK sound issue

Anyone else notice the pulsating sound on some of the KRDK channels during some scenes? Just now, Movies channel during 'The Presidio', was most annoying when the background music is playing. it's not all the time. Sometimes when it's voice only, as in the following 'preview', sounds like the announcer has a 'catch' in the throat quite often.
post #2172 of 2178 Old 06-10-2016, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I see Gray made some filings with the FCC earlier this month that clarify the technical parameters they intend to use with the three low-power translators they picked up last year.

• The channel 30 Grand Forks translator will broadcast from a tower just north of East Grand Forks and use a directional pattern directed strongly to the south. The maximum ERP will be 15 kW horizontal (the maximum power permitted for low-power stations) and 6.5 kW vertical.

• The channel 28 Argusville translator will broadcast from the KVLY tower with a moderately directional pattern aimed more to the south than the north. The maximum ERP will be 15 kW horizontal.

• The channel 30 Horace translator, which is also now known as KXJB-LD, will broadcast from a tower at the KVLY studios in Fargo with a non-directional pattern. The ERP will be 15 kW horizontal and 5.2 kW vertical.

The filings don't mention what programming the facilities are expected to carry.

Last edited by agus0103; 06-11-2016 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Corrected description of directional pattern of channel 28 translator
post #2173 of 2178 Old 06-11-2016, 06:50 AM

It will be interesting to see the actual pattern and then find out what they actually intend on broadcasting. Reading above still doesn't shake my fear that people outside of the metro areas (especially those east or west, and not between GF and Fargo) who currently can receive the CW or CBS are going to lose access to those (depending on what goes on the transmitters). My parents who live NW of GF, for example, currently have a fine signal. The patterns described above would leave them in the cold.
post #2174 of 2178 Old 06-13-2016, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kcpm ota

Has anyone actually been able to receive 27-3 Retro TV over the air in Grand Forks. We are up in Pembina and get the church channel once in a while from Grand Forks analogue 3ABN witch uses 9.4kw and 27 suppose to use 11kw. but we never get 27.
Retro TV thinks that kcpm is actually broadcasting ?
Are they?
post #2175 of 2178 Old 06-14-2016, 08:29 PM

Per my parents NW of Grand Forks, they are not receiving it. If they are on the air - it must not be beyond the city limits. RabbitEars had them as off the air for a while -- but in checking now, they changed that. I'm not sure where that info came from - or if it is going to change shortly. I thought they had been off-the-air and cable only for at least the last 3 years.
post #2176 of 2178 Old 06-16-2016, 05:01 PM

Kcpm

No OTA, I was within 1/2 mile of their TX a few days ago and nothing. Cable ONLY. When they were last on the air, it was strong signal at 25+ miles. When they went off the air they quit replying to emails, which was 'spotty' at best before. Their website, www.kcpm.tv also went 'down for maintenance'.
post #2177 of 2178 Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM

Moving to Pembina

So, after time being originally from Grand Forks, a brief year in North Carolina, 12 years in Minneapolis, 2 in Fargo ... it now looks like we're heading up to Pembina. Initially it looked like only KNRR was available OTA when I did a quick search, so we looked into the one-and-only 'cable' provider serving Pembina. Maybe I'm just out-of-touch with 6 years of cord-cutting - but the sticker shock on seeing the cost nearly floored me. I expected that in a small town, costs would be more, but Polar's package of internet, TV, and phone ... oh yes, the taking of a landline phone is mandatory ... totals around $150. And that's before the little extra fees that always show up on the bottom of a cable bill. Their TV is delivered via the CAT-5 line - so no QAM or CableCard, thus making our TiVo's useless up there.

So I've been looking in a little more detail on OTA availability. I don't know if @michaelrodents visits the thread anymore, but he once posted about being up in Pembina. It looks like with a good roof antenna, CKY from Winnipeg and WDAZ would be in play. It looks like there is a very slim chance that CHMI might be a possibility, but I'm not counting on it. KVLY for CBS and NBC is, of course, completely out-of-the-question, and I don't believe any PBS is available up there either.

Is anybody familiar with reception up there that could verify or deny the above? Or have an idea on somebody else available for internet? I haven't found anything other than perhaps invisimax, but I wonder if wireless internet comes with the same pitfalls in performance that satellite internet does.
post #2178 of 2178 Old Today, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 36
running a basic tvfool does yield 3 stations
KNRR
WDAZ
CKY
with a possibility of CHMI City 13 (it shows right around 0.0db)

The one issue I see is all 4 stations are on VHF and in all different directions. KNRR NW, WDAZ SW and CKY NNE

I looked at the Polar site and why not get internet and limited basic? Doing the math on say 10MB internet and limited basic I come up with a price around $72. That includes limited basic, HD and a box...internet with a modem charge (although it says no modem is needed with fibre to the home).....thats where I get confused on the equipment fees. $10 more for 30MB download and $6 more for DVR.

If you want to go OTA only then internet alone you can get. I do see the bundles but of course they want you to get all 3. Thats how they make money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception