Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 08-08-2016, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
I read that KRDK upgraded 4-1 to HD

So what is the new lineup? (not near Fargo)
Good to see another local channel go HD. Now Midco just needs to pick up KRDK and get it added to their system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 45
hmmm...now there is "more to the story" as to why Weigel nets are no longer on KRDK. Weigel pulled them

from KRDK facebook

Dear KRDK viewers,
We really appreciate all of your feedback. It inspires us to do even more!

The decision to remove H&I, Decades and Movies! was not ours alone.

Thus, we encourage you to contact the folks at Weigel Broadcasting: http://www.metvnetwork.com/memorable.php

They decided the Fargo region was not important enough to them at this juncture to find a way to continue our relationship.

It's important your voice is heard since they clearly did not value your loyalty and viewership.
Please let them know their abrupt decision has consequences.

As always, we thank you for your continued support and encouragement.
We continue to have 8 channels of great programming and lots in store this fall and beyond!
Old 08-08-2016, 10:21 AM

I wonder if with KXJB coming back and getting the CW, if Gray is going to get more of the Weigel channels ... being they are already a MeTV affiliate.

Last edited by dandeson83; 08-19-2016 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Error
Old 08-16-2016, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From http://www.northpine.com :
NORTH DAKOTA/MINNESOTA:
The FCC has dealt Gray TV a blow in the Fargo market, saying Gray did not retain the rights to use cable channel 4 when it sold the license associated with that channel number. Gray sold the former KXJB-TV/4.1 (Valley City-Fargo) to comply with ownership caps but retained its longtime "KX4" CBS affiliation by moving it to a subchannel of KVLY-TV/11.1 (Fargo). Channel 4.1 is now KRDK-TV and its new owner, Ravi Kapur's Major Market Broadcasting, sought carriage on Cable One channel 4. Cable One initially rejected KRDK's must-carry request, saying it already had a contract with Gray to carry "KX4" on that channel. Gray contended that KRDK's new owner had agreed not to seek carriage on cable channel 4, a claim which KRDK denied and which the FCC's Media Bureau has now rejected as an "unsubstantiated and self-serving argument." It ordered Cable One to begin carrying KRDK on channel 4, or a channel mutually agreed upon by KRDK and Cable One, within 45 days. The FCC also recently denied Gray's request to move KRDK's virtual channel to 38.1 so that KVLY could use both virtual channels 4.1 and 11.1. KRDK carries Cozi TV and local sports on channel 4.1. (8/14/2016)
This will change the KXJB-LP plans. CW can't be on 4.2 . I wonder what virtual channel KXJB-LP (and the other LPs) will use?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
VNL is advertising their new 9:00 PM newscast on the CW station starting Sept 12th. Those new transmitters don't have much time left to flip the switch and begin broadcasting.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
VNL is advertising their new 9:00 PM newscast on the CW station starting Sept 12th. Those new transmitters don't have much time left to flip the switch and begin broadcasting.
They don't even have an antenna on the tower in East Grand Forks yet, so they are a lot further out than flipping a switch, not sure how they'll feed it, will they just pick off channel 28 from Blanchard, or are they leasing fiber - I think they dismantled their old intercity relay microwave system that used to feed Grand Forks (still used periscope antennas, which were pretty much made illegal in the early 1970s)...One would think 30 days out they would be transmitting test signals and such...Even though I don't watch much on CW, I might complain to CW that OTA reception is no longer available in my area if the new signals aren't on.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Did they decide this after WDAY'Z XTRA announced their 9:00 PM newscast?
Old 08-19-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egftechman View Post
Did they decide this after WDAY'Z XTRA announced their 9:00 PM newscast?
It sure does feel like they are going after each other.

Does anyone know, are they moving CBS over to the new LP channel, or is CBS staying on 11.2? If they are moving CBS, I wonder if they are adding anything to 11.2? Also, is WDAY planning anything to take the space that the CW had?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post
It sure does feel like they are going after each other.

Does anyone know, are they moving CBS over to the new LP channel, or is CBS staying on 11.2? If they are moving CBS, I wonder if they are adding anything to 11.2? Also, is WDAY planning anything to take the space that the CW had?
I think WDAY/Z is planning on adding myNetworkTV. On their Facebook page announcing the DirecTV deal - they noted that one of the sticking points is that DirecTV did not want any of their extra channels - and they listed myNetworkTV as one of those channels. Of further note is that they also must consider WDAZ as a sub-channel - as DirecTV won't take WDAZ either -- only WDAY.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Of further note is that they also must consider WDAZ as a sub-channel - as DirecTV won't take WDAZ either -- only WDAY.
no. The rule is if there is more than one affiliate of a network in the market satellite only has to take one unless either
-the 2 sides reach an agreement
-they are LICENSED in different states

So if WDAZ was licensed to say E Grand Forks then they both would get must carry. That was the quirk in Duluth for a couple years. Both KBJR & KRII were carried even though KRII other than a couple commercials and a 5 minute newscast insert was a straight satellite of KBJR. But since KBJR is licensed to Superior, WI (even though the studio and transmitter are in Duluth) both were carried. Satellite dropped KRII for the (at the time) CW subchannel instead.

There are a few examples where 2 affiliates are carried but in those examples its 2 different owners. The other "big" one like this I can think of is WKYT Lexington and WYMT Hazard Kentucky. Both are in the Lexington market and WYMT is a "semi-satellite" (as defined by FCC) even though they have different newscasts and WYMT has some local programming. Both are owned by Gray and satellite only carries WKYT
Old 08-19-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 AM

I wonder what will happen with KCPM up in Grand Forks? If myNetworkTV is moving to WDAY/Z as slipped by them in their post - what does KCPM do? I assume up north they are still cable-only - having given up on their transmitter long ago.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
They don't even have an antenna on the tower in East Grand Forks yet, so they are a lot further out than flipping a switch, not sure how they'll feed it, will they just pick off channel 28 from Blanchard, or are they leasing fiber - I think they dismantled their old intercity relay microwave system that used to feed Grand Forks (still used periscope antennas, which were pretty much made illegal in the early 1970s)...One would think 30 days out they would be transmitting test signals and such...Even though I don't watch much on CW, I might complain to CW that OTA reception is no longer available in my area if the new signals aren't on.
According to a reply I received - they still think they can be ready. Regarding virtual channel numbers - looking at where they will be on cable, it is impossible to get an idea. Cable placement is all over the yardstick. :-)

VNL' response to me:

Our engineers are working hard to prep all of our new transmitter sites for the launch and we do expect they will all be ready. Depending on where you live you will be able to see Fargo's CW on either channel 30.2 or 28.2. Here are also all of the cable channels available around the area:
Arvig 5
Bagley Public Utilites 18
Barnesville Cable TV 18
Cable One 28
Cable Services, Inc 8
City of Fosston 12
Daktel Communications 132
Dickey Rural Services 8
Federated Telephone 3
Federated Telephone 3
Garden Valley Telephone 14
Halstad Telephone 23
Loretel Systems 5
Midcontinent Communications (Fargo) 14
Midcontinent Communications (GF) 7
MLGC 62
North Dakota Telephone 2
Otter Com, Inc 5
Paul Bunyan Rural Telephone 23
Polar Cablevision 15
Polar Cablevision 15
Red River Rural Telephone 5
Runestone Telecom 3
Sjoberg's Inc. 48
Tekstar 5
United Telephone 9
West Central Telephone 10SD/23HD
Wikstrom Systems 48
Old 08-20-2016, 09:41 AM

The fact they are calling it "Fargo's CW" instead of something like "Valley's CW" tells me not to hold my breath for the EGF translator.They closed their grand forks office, eliminated all the gf staff, except Neil Carlson who works from home, so they really only focus on Cass and Clay counties..
Old 08-20-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder what will happen with KCPM up in Grand Forks? If myNetworkTV is moving to WDAY/Z as slipped by them in their post - what does KCPM do? I assume up north they are still cable-only - having given up on their transmitter long ago.
Doing a little more looking I noticed this
TitanTV shows that the Justice Network sub on KBMY & KMCY has My Network programming from 7-9 central. So its possible they are referring to that instead of Fargo/GF
(zap2it shows justice network the whole time)
Old 08-20-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Runestone Telecom 3
That one is very interesting. All the cities in the Runestone cable area are in the Minneapolis DMA and they carry WUCW CW23 from Minneapolis. The only Fargo station they carry is KVLY NBC (they do carry KARE 11 too)
(My uncle lives in Elbow Lake and has Runestone)

How are they able to do that? (Bump a in market station off cable)
Old 08-22-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
That one is very interesting. All the cities in the Runestone cable area are in the Minneapolis DMA and they carry WUCW CW23 from Minneapolis. The only Fargo station they carry is KVLY NBC (they do carry KARE 11 too)
(My uncle lives in Elbow Lake and has Runestone)
How are they able to do that? (Bump a in market station off cable)
That is interesting. If anything, I would think they would carry KVRR, because their OTA signal is present in that area. Maybe it is because KARE doesn't have a satellite station in out state MN, unlike WCCO (KCCO/KCCW), KSTP (KSAX/KRWF), KMSP(KFTC), so the rural MN submarket is unserved by a full power for NBC.....I know many people in Douglas, Grant, Traverse counties that would like the Fargo stations back in their line up like they had in the early 1990s, when it was fairly common to have both Twin Cities and Fargo stations available.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is interesting. If anything, I would think they would carry KVRR, because their OTA signal is present in that area. Maybe it is because KARE doesn't have a satellite station in out state MN, unlike WCCO (KCCO/KCCW), KSTP (KSAX/KRWF), KMSP(KFTC), so the rural MN submarket is unserved by a full power for NBC.....
KVRR is the FOX for Fargo...you mean KVLY? Grant County (where runestone is) is in the far southern coverage (outdoor antenna) of KVRR...
While KARE doesnt have a full power station in that area they are served in Alexandria by Selective TV and I know the signal reaches most of Grant County (and Runestone can get it in Hoffman also). The northern part they're screwed.
And in most of the rural Northern part of MN ABC is actually on analog translators. Bemidji and Brainerd are analog translators.

Quote:
I know many people in Douglas, Grant, Traverse counties that would like the Fargo stations back in their line up like they had in the early 1990s, when it was fairly common to have both Twin Cities and Fargo stations available.
I wouldnt mind multiple network affiliates. Heck you can get the Fargo paper there in Elbow Lake (along with the Fergus and Mpls papers)

Looking at archives of the FCC Cable Registration forms Runestone actually had as part of the "locals"
KCMT (now KCCO...at the time was NBC/ABC) KDLOTV KFME KMSPTV (ABC at the time) KSTPTV (NBC at the time) KTHITV (now KVLY) KWCMTV KXJBTV WDAYTV

Now the only Fargo station is KVLY and analog only. But what doesnt make sense is how supposedly Gray is going to be able to have the CW that is IN MARKET get yanked from cable.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:06 PM

Midco Grand Forks changes

Dear Valued Midco Customer:

We wanted to let you know about some changes coming to your channel lineup. On or about September 12, the following changes will take place:

KXJB-CBS will move from channel 4 to channel 9.
WDAY/WDAZ-CW (channel 7) will change to WDAY'Z-Justice.

With these channel changes, please remember to check your recordings. If you have any recordings set up on these channels, be sure to reset them so you don't miss any of your favorite shows.

Midco will also add new channels to the lineup in your area on or about September 12:

KRDK-Cozi TV will launch on channel 4.
KXJB-CW will launch in standard definition on channel 17 and in HD on channel 616.

All channels will launch or remain on Limited cable. You can always find your current listing of available channels, based on your purchased package, at Midco.com/ChannelLineups. If you have any questions, please contact us at Midco.com/Contact.

Thank you for your business!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a heads up Saturdays UND/Bowling Green football game will be on WDAY/Z Xtra (via the American Sports Network)
Old 09-05-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
KXJB-LD is on, blank on 30.1 CBS 1080i HD, 30.2 CW HD and 30.3. H&I
Old 09-05-2016, 05:06 PM

I wonder if K30LR-D or K28MA-D is up yet also?

Quick question - when you say 'blank', are you saying that nothing is broadcasting on the 3 yet, but their PSIP identifies them by the labels you have? Or just that everything is blank with no PSIP yet?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use an indoor antenna, so Im not sure on 28 off the KVLY tower or 30 in GF. All are blank with PSIP info
Old 09-07-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if K30LR-D or K28MA-D is up yet also?
Somebody in South Fargo said they are getting 28.X right now so they must be getting the Argusville tower

28.1 CBS HD (1080i)
28.2 CW HD
28.3 H&I SD
Old 09-07-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think WDAY/Z is planning on adding myNetworkTV. On their Facebook page announcing the DirecTV deal - they noted that one of the sticking points is that DirecTV did not want any of their extra channels - and they listed myNetworkTV as one of those channels. Of further note is that they also must consider WDAZ as a sub-channel - as DirecTV won't take WDAZ either -- only WDAY.
Quote:
well according to Jon Ellis (northpine.com) he mentioned this
"I checked with WDAY's programming contact. They are not adding My Network TV."
Old 09-07-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Somebody in South Fargo said they are getting 28.X right now so they must be getting the Argusville tower

28.1 CBS HD (1080i)
28.2 CW HD
28.3 H&I SD
I wonder if they will all have the same virtual channel? Or how they will brand since 11.2 will also still be carrying the 720p feed (at least for now).
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a feeling they will ID as 28.X and 30.X at least thats what the Forum article says
http://www.inforum.com/news/4102426-...newscasts-9-pm

Adding 30.2 and 28.2 to KVLY's broadcasting family opens the door for earlier weekday newscasts from 7 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. and a simulcast of the noon news on KXJB, he said.

I know hotdogs mentioned above he(?) is getting 30.X and another member posted they are getting 28.X
Old 09-07-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Or how they will brand since 11.2 will also still be carrying the 720p feed (at least for now).
Good question. Dont they broadcast now as KX4? (I'm not near Fargo so dont know)

But that brings up a point. Monday Midco is moving CBS from channel 4 to 9 so they can add KRDK to 4. And just recently Gray lost the right to use 4 on Cable One for CBS. Cable ONe has 45 days (as of 8/15) to put KRDK on 4 (or a mutually agreed to channel) as posted previously (post 2194)

Gray lost the ability to do PSIP 4.1 for the LP's (per the info in post 2194) so what will they call themselves?
I know here in Minneapolis OTA PSIP means nothing when they give their "gimmick" With "My29" on 9.2 and "45TV" on 5.2
Old 09-09-2016, 07:50 AM

The crane came to East Grand Forks yesterday and placed the antenna on the tower and the prefab transmitter building on its footings. K30LR is within sight of being on the air..
Old 09-09-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling they will ID as 28.X and 30.X at least thats what the Forum article says
http://www.inforum.com/news/4102426-...newscasts-9-pm

Adding 30.2 and 28.2 to KVLY's broadcasting family opens the door for earlier weekday newscasts from 7 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. and a simulcast of the noon news on KXJB, he said.

I know hotdogs mentioned above he(?) is getting 30.X and another member posted they are getting 28.X
IMHO, for our market size, the 9PM newscasts are over done as of this fall, and morning news is adequate..What would be nice would be an 11:00PM newscast, sometimes one doesn't get home in time for the 10:00PM news. Instead of simulcasting the noon news, how about an 11:00AM newscast or 1:00PM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement