Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #271 of 3621 Old 11-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone else having problems with the Cowboy's game in HD on 17-1 today? The signal quality is varying widely and I get nothing but freezes, or no picture. I checked all the other locals and they are OK.

Of course, 17 HD is not available on the Comcast DVR - but the HD 2 and HD 5 signals are NOT working properly either, but all the other HD channels are fine.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3621 Old 11-29-2004, 06:35 AM

Any news from anyone on the WB?
Why would they upgrade their equipment and not pass thru the HD from the network?
Anybody have a contact/number over there?
Please post if so and I'll be glad to give them a call about this.
Doesn't seem to make much sense at the moment.
post #273 of 3621 Old 11-29-2004, 08:50 AM

Liked: 13
I called and left a message. Will let you know.
post #274 of 3621 Old 11-29-2004, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Originally posted by stsrep
Any news from anyone on the WB?
Why would they upgrade their equipment and not pass thru the HD from the network?
Anybody have a contact/number over there?
Please post if so and I'll be glad to give them a call about this.
Doesn't seem to make much sense at the moment.

Patience....changing your broadcast station to HDTV is probably not a walk in the park, even if your sister station has already done it. Like with any good project, it needs to be phased in so that they can see how the pieces work before throwing the big switch. And it's very likely that the WB has different gear, and equipment that needs to be installed versus FOX17 in this market, not to mention different policies and procedures.

What will be really interesting is if WB58 will end up on Comcast or not. Sinclair operates but doesn't own this station, so the situation might be different as opposed to FOX17 and UPN30.

All in good time...

Rick
post #275 of 3621 Old 11-30-2004, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

On another note, did anyone notice that on Friday 11/19 WTVF (channel 5/56) had guide data up for primetime? That's the first time I'd seen them do it and they haven't done it since. Probably just in the testing phase, but it was nice.

-Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #276 of 3621 Old 11-30-2004, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Folks,

Pardon the interruption, but I'm wondering if anyone watched the "Seinfeld" special on Thanksgiving Night on WSMV-DT? Did anyone have problems with the audio or video? I'm trying to compare complaints in other markets to see if they also showed up in Nashville. Thanks for your help.

Just post it here, and I'll check back.
post #277 of 3621 Old 11-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

I Tivo'd it, but I can't remember which Tivo I used - but most likely the HD with the off air signal. I can't remember any problems, but I DID have to pause and rewind several times from LAUGHING SO HARD

Dennis
post #278 of 3621 Old 11-30-2004, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hphase
Folks,

Pardon the interruption, but I'm wondering if anyone watched the "Seinfeld" special on Thanksgiving Night on WSMV-DT? Did anyone have problems with the audio or video? I'm trying to compare complaints in other markets to see if they also showed up in Nashville. Thanks for your help.

Just post it here, and I'll check back.

Yes, there was an audio issue on that program. We couldn't find any problem at our end, and I've since learned the same problem (mono sound, bad levels) was noted in other markets as well. Looks like it was an NBC issue. They think they know what happened and have a suggestion to prevent it from happening again.

I'm not aware of any problems with the video.

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #279 of 3621 Old 12-01-2004, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by w9wi
Yes, there was an audio issue on that program. We couldn't find any problem at our end, and I've since learned the same problem (mono sound, bad levels) was noted in other markets as well. Looks like it was an NBC issue. They think they know what happened and have a suggestion to prevent it from happening again.

I'm not aware of any problems with the video.

W9WI, please check your PM. Urgent!
post #280 of 3621 Old 12-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Anybody got word on what's going on with WB and their HD progress? Their signal has been weak/non-existent for quite a while now and I don't know if that has anything to do with their work.
post #281 of 3621 Old 12-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
For some reason, I can't get a signal from FOX-17 at all this evening. WB is coming in strong and clear.

Are there signal issues?
post #282 of 3621 Old 12-30-2004, 07:42 PM

I'm picking up WZTV-DT fine. Nothing HD on right now, though.
post #283 of 3621 Old 12-31-2004, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I was trying out a different antenna, and for some reason it just wouldn't pick up FOX. I went back to my old one, and now it is working fine.
post #284 of 3621 Old 12-31-2004, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dunno about last night, but it is safe to say that Fox17 will be up and running at 10am Saturday.
post #285 of 3621 Old 01-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It's Sunday afternoon.

Fox is doing the Titans in "HD"...480p.

And, for me they've been a solid lock the entire weekend for everything digital.

Thanks WZTV.

Now, if WTVF would only do the same.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #286 of 3621 Old 01-02-2005, 07:40 PM

Anyone in the Marshall Co area getting good OTA signals from Nashville or Huntsville? If so, what antenna?
post #287 of 3621 Old 01-02-2005, 09:36 PM

Welcome to AVS. I don't live in Marshall Co., but a good way to figure out what kind of antenna you need is to go to http://www.antennaweb.org and type in your zip code. It'll tell you how serious an antenna you need for each station in your area.
post #288 of 3621 Old 01-02-2005, 09:40 PM

You are in a challenging location. Years ago I got good reception from Tullahoma, SW Coffee Co. It's about as far away as Marshall Co. I used the largest Radio Shack combo UHF/VHF antenna (VU-190) and a Radio Shack preamp. I could get the main VHF Nashville stations and the three Huntsville UHF stations, although not 100%.

You need the largest antenna possible, as high as possible, with the lowest noise mast-mounted preamp (Channel Master Titan 2 model 7777).

You'll also need an antenna rotator.

In general I'd suggest dedicated UHF and VHF antennas (if you need VHF).

For UHF the AntennasDirect 91XG might work. See www.antennasdirect.com.

You could just give up on VHF, since the only VHF digital station is WMSV-DT in Nashville. If you can get NBC via UHF from Huntsville (WAFF-DT) you wouldn't need it. Otherwise you'd need a huge VHF antenna just for that one Nashville channel.

Unfortunately there's lots of variation with terrain and exact location.
Look around your neighborhood for large antennas. Ask what their reception is. Sometimes that's useful.
post #289 of 3621 Old 01-02-2005, 11:51 PM

Thanks for all the info guys.
post #290 of 3621 Old 01-03-2005, 01:49 PM

What's a good starting point for an indoor OTA antenna in the Nashville area? I am sure I will need to try a few but would like to know what others are using. I live in the Oak Hill area close to Franklin Rd. and Woodmont Blvd. It will be hooked to a Sony 34xs955.

Thanks!

rf
post #291 of 3621 Old 01-03-2005, 01:53 PM

I have now tried to get Fox 17's HD signal using a couple of B&M store antennas. Unfortunately, I live in Forest Hills near Radnor Lake and there is a tall hill immediately north of my home. I fear nothing will pick up the signal. Nevertheless I am willing to try ordering online a more powerful directional antenna if that will make the difference.

Are my efforts in vain, trying to pick up a signal 14 miles away given the moutain behind my home? If not, what type/brand and/or website do you recommend I consider to find an antenna that might work?

I will be really bummed if I cannot watch the Super Bowl in HDTV, especially being a Steelers fan.

JimS

Rough business this movie business. I may have to go back to loan sharking for a rest.
post #292 of 3621 Old 01-03-2005, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Ronnie Ferrell
What's a good starting point for an indoor OTA antenna in the Nashville area? I am sure I will need to try a few but would like to know what others are using. I live in the Oak Hill area close to Franklin Rd. and Woodmont Blvd. It will be hooked to a Sony 34xs955.

Thanks!

rf

Start with the Zenith Silver Sensor. You can find it at Circuit City and likely other places.

Rick
post #293 of 3621 Old 01-03-2005, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jhstn58
I have now tried to get Fox 17's HD signal using a couple of B&M store antennas. Unfortunately, I live in Forest Hills near Radnor Lake and there is a tall hill immediately north of my home. I fear nothing will pick up the signal. Nevertheless I am willing to try ordering online a more powerful directional antenna if that will make the difference.

Are my efforts in vain, trying to pick up a signal 14 miles away given the moutain behind my home? If not, what type/brand and/or website do you recommend I consider to find an antenna that might work?

I will be really bummed if I cannot watch the Super Bowl in HDTV, especially being a Steelers fan.

Your problem sounds like mine. I live in Bellevue and we're the worst place in Nashville for hills. I'm still trying to investigate whether I'm even going to try to put an antenna on the house since the likelyhood is failure is pretty high.

Rick
post #294 of 3621 Old 01-04-2005, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sevenfeet
Start with the Zenith Silver Sensor. You can find it at Circuit City and likely other places.

Hey Rick, How's it going! I've been away from HT/audio forums for a long time. Good to see you are still around!

I'll give the SS a shot. I picked up an el-cheapo $8 rabbit ear/hoop combo from Wal-Mart last night and it is worse than just a peice of coax hooked up. All I need OTA for, like everyone else is Sinclair 17.1, 58.1 and maybe 30.1. I have Comcast limited access and the Sony 34xs955 picks up the rest of the local HD stations, INHD, INHD2, a ton or radio stations and a few other stations that I have no idea what they are yet from Comcast even without a CableCard.

We just moved from Franklin to Oak Hill into a 50 year old ranch style house. If the silver Sensor does not work, I'll bite the bullet and get a CM4228 and put it in the attic.

Take care,

Ronnie
post #295 of 3621 Old 01-04-2005, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Ronnie Ferrell
Hey Rick, How's it going! I've been away from HT/audio forums for a long time. Good to see you are still around!

I'll give the SS a shot. I picked up an el-cheapo $8 rabbit ear/hoop combo from Wal-Mart last night and it is worse than just a peice of coax hooked up. All I need OTA for, like everyone else is Sinclair 17.1, 58.1 and maybe 30.1. I have Comcast limited access and the Sony 34xs955 picks up the rest of the local HD stations, INHD, INHD2, a ton or radio stations and a few other stations that I have no idea what they are yet from Comcast even without a CableCard.

We just moved from Franklin to Oak Hill into a 50 year old ranch style house. If the silver Sensor does not work, I'll bite the bullet and get a CM4228 and put it in the attic.

Take care,

Ronnie

Ronnie, you have PM!

Let's discuss the 4228 offline. I'm thinking the same thing so I'd like to pick your brain.

Rick
post #296 of 3621 Old 01-04-2005, 04:46 PM

Hey guys, share your thoughts with all of us. We too can benefit from your wisdom and experience.

JimS

Rough business this movie business. I may have to go back to loan sharking for a rest.
post #297 of 3621 Old 01-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Someone tell the morons at Fox to flip the "HD" switch. Rebel Billionaire is 4:3 downconvert right now.
post #298 of 3621 Old 01-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

You know it seems like this "forgot to flip the switch" problem happens pretty regularly, and not just on WZTV. Happened the other night when some other station was showing Behind Enemy Lines.

If people here have phone numbers to the control rooms, please post them here for all Nashville stations for the next time this problem happens. (I tried calling the WZTV public number tonight but all you can get is their after hours voicemails system).

So far Rebel Billionaire is still smeared out looking SD right now. Hope they fix this before House comes on.
post #299 of 3621 Old 01-04-2005, 10:27 PM

Is Rebel Billionaire even in HD normally? My understanding is that Fox's HD distribution system is pretty hands-off for the local stations. The "forget to flip the switch" problem is more for the stations that went HD a few years ago and had a manual process to be able to pass the HD signal from the network.
post #300 of 3621 Old 01-05-2005, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jhstn58
Hey guys, share your thoughts with all of us. We too can benefit from your wisdom and experience.

Jim, Sorry about that.

Rick and I discussed grabbing lunch more than we did the CM4228. I met Rick almost 2 years ago on another HT/Audio forum and wound up having him and his wife over for a day of speaker comparison and chitchat. It's a long story but if you are interested here is a recap of the day: Speaker Comparison. (Side note: If you ever meet Rick, you will understand his user name. )

If we do any antenna discussion/trials, we will be sure post the findings back here.

rf
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page