You're very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3621 Old 09-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey all, having issues getting WSMV, Channel 4 Nashville from Murfreesboro. Every other major channel (ABC, CBS, FOX, CW) comes in just fine and in HD, but for some reason, I can't get the signal for Channel 4. Kind of sucks since I wanted that channel to watch the NFL game tonight.

I'm using a 50-mile indoor leaf antenna with the USB booster plugged in. Any ideas why this isn't working?
post #3603 of 3621 Old 09-04-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
Hey all, having issues getting WSMV, Channel 4 Nashville from Murfreesboro. Every other major channel (ABC, CBS, FOX, CW) comes in just fine and in HD, but for some reason, I can't get the signal for Channel 4. Kind of sucks since I wanted that channel to watch the NFL game tonight.

I'm using a 50-mile indoor leaf antenna with the USB booster plugged in. Any ideas why this isn't working?
Fwiw, I live about 12 miles from their tower in Donelson and have an antenna on the roof, but that's the one channel I can never get.
post #3604 of 3621 Old 09-04-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcat View Post
Fwiw, I live about 12 miles from their tower in Donelson and have an antenna on the roof, but that's the one channel I can never get.
Sunday Night Football and some shows on NBC may force me to keep some kind of cable after all.
post #3605 of 3621 Old 09-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I see that here in Columbia, charter is going to do away with the old standard plug
the cable into your TV signal and a digital box will be needed later this month.
few realize that the old standard TV outdoor antenna will pick up the over the air
signals just fine. clean your connections and my guess any pre-amp will help.
I see real signal for NBC is channel 10 even though it read 4 on your TV.
that is high VHF and if you are using some after marketed HDTV UHF LOOP that
is amplified it will not work very good, or even at all. wrong frequency antenna it is.
try solidsignal.com and view the many VHF-UHF large antennas they have.
I believe the cable companies bought up the antenna makers and they do not make
the super large arrays any more. they want to sell more dish/cable rather than have you
watch free TV. they want subscription monies.

the small amp powered loop might have worked for a while but when the
old analog signals went away several stations went from the UHF back to VHF,
WSMV was one of them I guess.
UHF was good mostly for the temporary digital change over channels.......

you might get lucky and find a neighbor who has a old style TV antenna to give away.

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3606 of 3621 Old 09-07-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Because you're using an antenna that pretty much useless for VHF.
post #3607 of 3621 Old 09-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 163
post #3608 of 3621 Old 09-07-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Charter is Going Digital Here too

Charter is going all digital here as well. Fayetteville, Tullahoma, McMinnville, and Manchester are all in that all digital area by the end of the month. The FCC ruled last year that they don't have to send an unencrypted local channel to your television set anymore. So, Charter is taking advantage of that and cutting out all encrypted signals along with the analog. The plus side is that they'll offer more programming, and they're supposed to boost everyone's speed free of charge.

As for the cable companies conspiring against the antenna makers, I haven't heard anything of the sort. The best UHF antenna you can buy right now is the Channel Master 4228 at Amazon. It's about $96 and does high VHF band at around 45 miles. So, you might could pick up Channel 4 with it pretty well. I live down in the Fayetteville area, so I can only pick up WKRN at night on it.

The best antenna you could ever buy was the Channel Master 4551 Parabolic UHF Antenna. That baby was 7-foot wide and was good for DXing from what I understand. Unfortunately, they're very rare and very hard to find. They quit making them because they original casts were worn out from years of use.

From what I understand, most stations stayed on UHF after the transition to digital. I don't know why some of the Nashville stations reverted back to VHF. My understanding is that VHF is more prone to multipath, which is a bad thing for the 8-VSB modulation that the new digital standard uses.

I'm looking forward to the next generation of digital OTA that should debut in the next decade. It's already in development now. It's a total bandwidth of 29mbps, not around 19 or 20 like the current standard, will be COFDM modulation (less prone to multipath and interference like 8-VSB), will support MPEG-4 encoding (current standard is MPEG-2, which is less efficient), and it will support 4K resolution for the next generation TVs.
post #3609 of 3621 Old 09-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
Because you're using an antenna that pretty much useless for VHF.
as projectSHO89 says, you are using the likes of a UHF 6" wire to tune in a channel that needs
to be 29" for 198 MHz for VHF.

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3610 of 3621 Old 09-10-2014, 09:53 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrick103 View Post
I am considering putting up an outside antenna to try and receive 31.1, METV out of the Nashville area. Does anyone in the Lebanon area receive this channel or am I just wasting my time and money. Thanks...
I can pick it up on the west side of Lebanon. I have an antenna like this in my attic. Some tuners pick it up better than others.
hdrick103 and tomintn like this.
post #3611 of 3621 Old 09-10-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtribb View Post
I can pick it up on the west side of Lebanon. I have an antenna like this in my attic. Some tuners pick it up better than others.
jtribb,

If you don't mind, would you fill in about your setup? I live in Hermitage, and I can't get MeTV except on occasion at about 4:00 AM. Even then, there is some pixelation.

I have an external attenna at about 15 feet, and one tv.

In the past, when one of the three Northern transmitters was down, I could get it without any flaws!

Thank you!
post #3612 of 3621 Old 09-11-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
jtribb,

If you don't mind, would you fill in about your setup? I live in Hermitage, and I can't get MeTV except on occasion at about 4:00 AM. Even then, there is some pixelation.

I have an external attenna at about 15 feet, and one tv.

In the past, when one of the three Northern transmitters was down, I could get it without any flaws!

Thank you!
I am certainly no expert in any of this, but I will try to expand on my antenna configuration. I have a two story house, so my antenna is approximately 25 ft off the ground. I am on a higher elevation than houses immediately to my west. Downtown Nashville is almost due west.
This is my antenna http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=700112818417 .

The coaxial cable from the antenna leads to an 8 way amplified splitter. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...Amplifiers&sku= .

My house was wired for cable when it was built and all the cables are connected to this splitter. I have a few older TV's with digital converter boxes that receive 31 pretty well. I also have a Dish DTVPal DVR that receives it pretty well. It seems the newer HD TV's do not receive it as well or even at all.

It seems this converter box receives it the best http://www.amazon.com/Zinwell-ZAT-97.../dp/B001DVZXC0 .

I hope this helps.
tomintn likes this.
post #3613 of 3621 Old 09-11-2014, 07:22 AM

Thanks, jtribb!

The higher the antenna, the better the signal!

I was told by a local TV engineer 25-30 feet is better for where I live.

I told him I was going to try to perform improvements to my system; for safety concerns, he recommended I install a new antenna in the attic, and abandon the original system that was at the house when I bought it (1985).

Again, my thanks!
post #3614 of 3621 Old 09-11-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtribb View Post

I live off Blair Ln below the "Jack Lowery Hill". I have a 20' antenna setup & amp getting all the high powered stations but no low power channels/signals from METV or RETRO.
post #3615 of 3621 Old 09-11-2014, 09:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
Thanks, jtribb!

The higher the antenna, the better the signal!

I was told by a local TV engineer 25-30 feet is better for where I live.

I told him I was going to try to perform improvements to my system; for safety concerns, he recommended I install a new antenna in the attic, and abandon the original system that was at the house when I bought it (1985).

Again, my thanks!

The proper height is however high the antenna needs to be mounted to clear any obstructions between your home their tower. Pull up the TVfool website and if it is showing 1-edge or 2-edge you are probably screwed. If it's "LOS" then I would recommend ordering the Zinwell receiver suggested by jtribb before spending any money on an antenna. You can always send it back to Amazon if it does not work out. I own a bunch of receivers and only two of them get MeTV perfectly while the others barely pick it up at all. You might even be able to find an old Zenith DTT901 for cheap. It is another good one.

One thing to consider when using TVfool - it is a nice tool for mapping terrain and signal strength but it does not account for trees and nearby houses which can impact reception at your location.
post #3616 of 3621 Old 09-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrick103 View Post
I live off Blair Ln below the "Jack Lowery Hill". I have a 20' antenna setup & amp getting all the high powered stations but no low power channels/signals from METV or RETRO.
I am a little west and north of you.

The Longley-Rice coverage map from RabbitEars.Info shows most of the Indian Hills subdivision area in a dead area for Channel 31.1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	258362  
hdrick103 likes this.

Last edited by jtribb; 09-11-2014 at 04:28 PM.
post #3617 of 3621 Old 09-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTNN View Post
The proper height is however high the antenna needs to be mounted to clear any obstructions between your home their tower.
At my location that would involve a nuclear blast to level nine mile hill.
hdrick103 likes this.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #3618 of 3621 Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
At my location that would involve a nuclear blast to level nine mile hill.
blow it up good...real good
post #3619 of 3621 Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashDigie View Post
Breaking News! WLLC-LP analog channel 42 has finally jumped on the digital bandwagon. They have finally filed for a digital channel. They have decided to 'flash cut' from analog 42 to digital 42. It will be broadcasting from atop of the L&C tower in Downtown Nashville at 14.9kw. I am posting a link to the proposed broadcasting range (a PDF file) below. That is all the information I have for now.

WLLC-LD 42 Digital Broadcast Range
I rescanned my my TV channels this weekend and I can now pick our WLLC-LP on channel 42.
42.1 Univision
42.2 UniMas
42.3 Bounce TV
post #3620 of 3621 Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM

WUXP 30 appears to be off the air.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version