Nashville, TN - OTA - Page 130 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #3871 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I haven't heard anything new about when ME TV will move to 2.3. I sure hope we get a nice surprise tomorrow, but I don't want to get my hopes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 01:06 PM

I'm surprised we haven't gotten Antenna tv too. Rick Goetz said he has tried to get Antenna tv, offering the same deal he had with Cozi. It's beyond me how WJDE has gotten networks to make deals with them.
post #3873 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrotv View Post
I like old cars, but this channel is about as exciting as Live Well.
retrotv, I have to agree with you. Watching a road test of a 1990's Ford Taurus wasn't interesting. But this morning, about 1:00 AM, a show about drag racing had the Dodge Little Red Wagon dragster. It was very interesting to me. It does a wheelstand for the entire dragstrip, using independent rear brakes for the steering.

post #3874 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm believing Rev'n is a fill-in as we look toward the August 1 additions of This and The Works.
post #3875 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood OTA View Post
I'm believing Rev'n is a fill-in as we look toward the August 1 additions of This and The Works.
Hopefully that's the case. Maybe he will put something else on there before too long. I'm wondering if he will be replacing another channel to have the 2 spots for This tv & The Works, or add another channel.
post #3876 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Rick emailed me this afternoon to let me know that REV'N, which I had requested, isn't getting good feedback! He asked if I'd prefer PBJ. I told him that, as I have no kids, that channel doesn't interest me and I asked again about Antenna TV. He said he's begged and begged them to carry but they won't agree to it.

Beyond that, I suggested Justice Network, Escape or FamilyNet. Frankly, there aren't many quality OTA channels out there that aren't already being carried here. (LAFF may be a good one but WTVF has their eye on airing it on 5.3 this summer.)

Any suggestions?
post #3877 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Beg FOX17 to carry it on 17.3 (it's about the only hope we have left). Apparently Nashville television stations don't want to gain viewers at the risk of losing them to network shows. I say get the money where you can!
post #3878 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuke View Post
Beg FOX17 to carry it on 17.3 (it's about the only hope we have left). Apparently Nashville television stations don't want to gain viewers at the risk of losing them to network shows. I say get the money where you can!
I submitted an email request via Fox17.com for Sinclair to add Antenna TV to one of their local stations (17, 30, 58). With COZI going to 4.3 (tomorrow?) and ME-TV going to 2.3 (tomorrow??) and LAFF probably going to 5.3 (August?), and Antenna TV ruling out low-power WRTN 6, you're right -- if we do ever get Antenna TV, it looks like it will be on a Sinclair station (probably 17.3 or 30.3).
post #3879 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Beyond that, I suggested Justice Network, Escape or FamilyNet.

Any suggestions?
Since he's already carrying Retro and Tuff, sounds like he's wanting to stick with Luken networks by adding Rev'n or PBJ. Since the channel is likely temporary anyway, I'd go with PBJ since it is almost summer time and kids will be out of school soon.

Of the ones you suggested I'd go with FamilyNet. Some of the shows on FamilyNet were also on Cozi, which of course he lost. Probably his best bet.

Other possibilities include youtooAmerica, which claims to be the first interactive social TV network, and the new Buzzr game show network, which begins June 1.

Although if it were up to me, I'd like to see him bring back the Classic Westerns channel he used to air.

Last edited by Brentwood OTA; 04-30-2015 at 07:01 PM.
post #3880 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 PM

The Justice Network shows a lot of crime investigation programming. Escape has Unsolved Mysteries & Lifetime type movies. PBJ has some old shows like Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, & classic cartoons. Personally, I wouldn't mind PBJ. I'm surprised we don't already have it since it's a sister station of Retro & Tuff tv.

Really, I wish he could've landed something that WJDE has, like Movies! or Decades.

Last edited by retrotv; 04-30-2015 at 07:15 PM.
post #3881 of 3896 Old 04-30-2015, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Rick emailed me this afternoon to let me know that REV'N, which I had requested, isn't getting good feedback! He asked if I'd prefer PBJ. I told him that, as I have no kids, that channel doesn't interest me and I asked again about Antenna TV. He said he's begged and begged them to carry but they won't agree to it.

Beyond that, I suggested Justice Network, Escape or FamilyNet. Frankly, there aren't many quality OTA channels out there that aren't already being carried here. (LAFF may be a good one but WTVF has their eye on airing it on 5.3 this summer.)

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't mind PBJ. If anything, I would definitely prefer FamilyNet. Now that is, if he is talking about the FamilyNet, or is he talking about the Family Channel? Which one is he talking about? The FamilyNet is with the RFD TV group that only does cable and satellite programming, while the Family Channel is with the Luken family of networks i.e. RetroTV, TuffTV, etc., but if he is saying FamilyNet, then, yes most definitely. Either that or (if he can) Decades, Heroes & Icons, or Buzzr.

May 1st Update - I just got some information that WJDE 31.2 H&I has had no activity in three days. Can someone look at that channel and tell me what's going on?

NashDigie signing off.

Nashville Digital TV News & More

Last edited by NashDigie; Yesterday at 02:21 AM.
post #3882 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

While there is nothing on the web that would indicate FamilyNet is available for broadcasting of any type, it is on low-power channel 46 out of Scottsville, KY, so it must be available.
post #3883 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

Still no ME TV on 2.3.
hdrick103 likes this.
post #3884 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood OTA View Post
While there is nothing on the web that would indicate FamilyNet is available for broadcasting of any type, it is on low-power channel 46 out of Scottsville, KY, so it must be available.
According to Wikipedia, FamilyNet is carried by 1 high-power and 14 low-power stations in the U.S., although it is clearly intended to be mainly distributed by cable and satellite based on info on the RFD website (its owner). I thought that 46 out of Scottsville was carrying it but I wasn't sure (can't pick it up here). Not sure whether RFD is still allowing new OTA broadcast affiliates but, if so, FamilyNet would be far preferable to me than anything Luken offers. They're based here in Nashville--maybe that would help.
post #3885 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrotv View Post
Still no ME TV on 2.3.

Has anyone called WKRN today?
post #3886 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

I just called WSMV and asked when they would begin airing COZI on 4.3. The lady I spoke with said she didn't know why TV listings were already showing that channel to be on the air -- they don't have a firm date yet but expect COZI will go live around June 1! So no COZI for Nashville for the month of May.

As for WKRN, I tried calling but couldn't get hold of anyone. Who knows? At this point, I'm increasingly doubtful that they will switch over from Living Well to ME-TV on 2.3. Media General's stations were originally going to stop carrying Live Well on Jan. 16, then that cut-off date was extended two months to mid-March, another date that was ignored. The last we heard from WKRN was that Live Well would stop being distributed at the end of April, but it's now May and it's still on air on apparently all of Media General's stations, including WBAY in Green Bay, which has publicly stated back in Jan. that they have a deal in place to replace Live Well with the new Decades channel. Besides WKRN and WBAY, Media General has five other stations currently carrying Live Well, apparently none of which have any stated plans to replace Live Well with something else.

I guess if there's another date on the horizon when we *might* think WKRN 2.3 will switch to ME-TV, it would be May 25. That's the official launch date for Decades. Maybe Media General is waiting to make the switch from Live Well to a replacement on both WBAY and WKRN on the same date.
hdrick103 likes this.
post #3887 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

I have emailed Media General. I hope they respond.
NashGuy likes this.
post #3888 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

NashDigie, a friend said this morning they still have some sort of test pattern on 31.2. He said it's been like that for several days.
post #3889 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
I have emailed Media General. I hope they respond.
I saw an email for someone named Courtney Guertin listed under Press Contacts. Maybe if they get enough emails they will at least tell us something, or go ahead & take Live Well off here.
post #3890 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

I passed along to Rick at WRTN your comments that you would like to see FamilyNet added now that COZI is gone. He contacted them and, unfortunately, FamilyNet is no longer allowing any additional OTA broadcasters to carry them. Apparently they want to exclusively be cable/satellite going forward. So I told him maybe he'd get better feedback with PBJ than with REV'N...
post #3891 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Given the options and availability, I think you are right, he will likely get the best feedback with PBJ. At least with it, I can occasionally see an episode or two of Sgt. Preston of the Yukon.

On, King!
retrotv likes this.
post #3892 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
The point is probably to burn off ad contracts that were signed before the cancellation was announced. I'm guessing a number of those advertisers were sold an annual bulk on all of the O&Os. Might be some local annuals that included LiveWell as a value-added buy, too. If you still see commercials - especially local ones - then that's the reason.
I previously posted the Live Well thread that included Dr. Don's suspicion about the Live Well continuation.
post #3893 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
I previously posted the Live Well thread that included Dr. Don's suspicion about the Live Well continuation.
That may well be the case and would explain why ABC O&O stations continue to flog a dead horse by continuing to carry Live Well with only reruns. Although, if a station were going to continue broadcasting with something else in place of Live Well (as is supposedly the case with WKRN and WBAY), why couldn't the contracts for local ads just carry through and air on ME-TV or Decades? These aren't ABC O&O stations, so the point about national ad contracts doesn't apply (I don't think); all stations other than ABC O&O and Media General have pulled the plug on Live Well.
post #3894 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That may well be the case and would explain why ABC O&O stations continue to flog a dead horse by continuing to carry Live Well with only reruns. Although, if a station were going to continue broadcasting with something else in place of Live Well (as is supposedly the case with WKRN and WBAY), why couldn't the contracts for local ads just carry through and air on ME-TV or Decades? These aren't ABC O&O stations, so the point about national ad contracts doesn't apply (I don't think); all stations other than ABC O&O and Media General have pulled the plug on Live Well.
I am not familiar with this business model, but if I was the ABC Network, any O&O would have to support the ads sold by ABC (by contract, of course). There might be a financial incentive for O&O's by the contract?

Again, I'm just guessing.
post #3895 of 3896 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

Well, Live Well Just Keeps Living

The fact that Live Well continues to air on WKRN would not have anything to do with continuing ad contracts. Knowing what I know of deals between groups, stations,and networks, it's likely because Channel 2 may continue to be collecting money from infomercial orders by locals (call that income) or because switching over to MeTV is going to incur for Media General a cost that they are not having to pay now (call that bottom line).
tomintn likes this.
post #3896 of 3896 Old Today, 11:07 AM

This is a little off-topic but since you guys (obviously) watch OTA TV, I wanted to let you know about a special deal that just became available yesterday. TiVo is now offering their Roamio OTA DVR for $299 with lifetime service included. This is a new model they introduced last year. The normal pricing up to now has been $50 up front, and then $15 per month for service with a one-year commitment but no lifetime service option. No one seems to know whether this new $299 pricing is a limited-time experiment they're running or if it will become permanent. You have to use the link below to get the $299 deal. I took advantage a bit ago. Free shipping, but local tax brought the total to $327.74. You can return it with free shipping for any reason within 30 days. (Or you could sell it used on eBay for over $400, the going price for one of these babies with lifetime service!)

I've had my eye on the TiVo Roamio OTA for awhile now. It seems to be the best-quality OTA DVR on the market, combining 4 (reportedly very high quality) tuners with a 14-day program guide (delivered via internet, not PSIP). Even better, it integrates your OTA shows with streaming shows from Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video, Hulu, AOL On, Yahoo Screen, etc. with their OnePass feature. It currently does not offer HBO Go/HBO Now or Showtime Anytime but there are rumors about those possibly being added later on. Plex will be added as a feature very soon. It comes with a 500 GB hard drive (about 75 hours of HD) but I've read that it's pretty simple to open the box and upgrade the drive yourself.

If you have more than one TV, you can buy a TiVo Mini for each additional TV at $149 each (no additional monthly fees).

Here's the link with the special lifetime pricing -- this deal could disappear at any time:
https://www.tivo.com/TLP4

TiVo's site is being very weird with this link. It appears that you will probably get the special $299 page at that link the first time you click through but every time after that, it will redirect you to the normal $50/$15 pricing. If the link doesn't take you to the $299 page, try switching your browser to private mode or switching to a different browser or switching to a different computer/device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception