Nashville, TN - OTA - Page 140 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 178Likes

post #4171 of 4185 Old 08-30-2015, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I hope Channel 5 does a better job implementing Laff on 5.3 than they have done with This TV, although there's no reason to expect they will. They provide so little bandwidth to This on 5.3 (the video feed ranges from 1.75 to 1.95 Mbps according to RabbitEars.Info) that I always see compression-induced macro blocking every few seconds, even when there's hardly any movement on screen. (This has nothing to do with my reception, which is excellent for 5.) The flipside, of course, is that they devote a lot of bandwidth to the HD video on 5.1, which is why it looks better than any other local OTA HD channel. But if you're going to bother carrying a sub channel, you may as well make it watchable. Check out how good NPT2 looks on 8.2 -- sometimes it's hard to tell it's not HD! Channel 4 has done a good job with Cozi on 4.3 as well, with 2.5 Mbps devoted to the video feed.

Laff is offered to broadcasters in both 4:3 and widescreen 16:9 versions. It wouldn't make a difference for older TV shows (which were shot in 4:3) but I much prefer watching movies widescreen, the way Cozi carries them. Hopefully Channel 5 will opt for the widescreen version of Laff, like WSB in Atlanta carries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4185 Old 08-30-2015, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I asked Antenna TV why Nashville was removed from their coverage map. This is their reply: "The station is working on some technical issues. They don't have a date when it will all be fixed. We removed the coming soon until we know when soon will be". So, there you have it. At least it's still suppose to be here sometime.

Have a great week everyone.
NashGuy and tomintn like this.
post #4173 of 4185 Old 08-31-2015, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve615 View Post
I happened to catch a commercial on WTVF channel 5.3 yesterday. The commercial announced the coming of Laff TV on September 21.
Have you checked the programs available on Laff?

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #4174 of 4185 Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
Have you checked the programs available on Laff?
Not yet, but I will check it out later. They keep running a quick commercial on 5.3, announcing that Laff is coming Sept. 21st.
post #4175 of 4185 Old 08-31-2015, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

I did check their lineup and didn't find anything of interest.

post #4176 of 4185 Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Can't say I'm interested in Laff. The schedule looks like slim pickings.

http://www.laff.com/schedule/
post #4177 of 4185 Old 08-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrotv View Post
Can't say I'm interested in Laff. The schedule looks like slim pickings.

http://www.laff.com/schedule/
Agreed.
retrotv, dmarqueset and GrayHair like this.

post #4178 of 4185 Old 08-31-2015, 10:35 AM

Honestly, none of the sub channels has THAT much stuff I care about, other than NPT2 on 8.2, WeatherNation on 17.2 and Nashville WX on 2.2. I see them more as "channel surfing fodder". Some of them have things that I enjoy stopping on for a few minutes here and there while I flip through the channels. I might occasionally watch an episode of Ellen or Drew Carey on Laff, as well as an occasional film. As long as This TV moves to WRTN, I see the addition of Laff as just one more free viewing option.

For me though, the stuff I really care about airs on the major OTA HD networks (Fox, ABC, etc.) or OTT streaming services (Showtime, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO). I subscribe to all of that content for less than the typical cost of a basic cable or satellite package and I have more high-quality viewing options. My TiVo Roamio OTA ties it all together nicely, with the exceptions of Showtime and HBO. Hopefully TiVo will add apps for those new streaming services soon...
post #4179 of 4185 Old 09-01-2015, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm just the opposite NashGuy . I don't think there's much of anything on the major channels; more for me on the minor channels. It's mainly 4.3, 5.3, 8.2, 31.2 and 58.3 for me. Not that I don't turn it off sometimes and read.
post #4180 of 4185 Old 09-01-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHair View Post
I'm just the opposite NashGuy . I don't think there's much of anything on the major channels; more for me on the minor channels. It's mainly 4.3, 5.3, 8.2, 31.2 and 58.3 for me. Not that I don't turn it off sometimes and read.
It's good to have options! And turning off the boob tube now and then to read a book or enjoy the great outdoors is a good thing too! About to hop on my bike for a ride now...
post #4181 of 4185 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
I have noticed that WJFB (44-1 & 44-2) has stopped broadcasting 44-2, which was a duplicate broadcast of 44-1. Could it be a new programming source?
44.2 is back on the air. It is something called TCT kids. I guess it is religous prograning for kids. I did see an old western on it earlier but it has been religous programing since than. It is different from 44.1 though.
post #4182 of 4185 Old Today, 09:50 AM

I was able to tune in 44.2 last night, completely clear and no problems, but had no signal on 44.1, which is really odd. Then later last night, as well as today, I have no signal on either. Is this just a fluke with my antenna/tuner or are those signals going on and off the air?
post #4183 of 4185 Old Today, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I was able to tune in 44.2 last night, completely clear and no problems, but had no signal on 44.1, which is really odd. Then later last night, as well as today, I have no signal on either. Is this just a fluke with my antenna/tuner or are those signals going on and off the air?
As of this entry, I have both completely clear, but I just turned on the TV.
post #4184 of 4185 Old Today, 01:16 PM

OK, thanks, it's just me then, ha! I honestly don't think I've ever seen part of a channel (X.2) suddenly appear perfectly and then disappear with no change in the antenna, the weather or anything else. Weird. Not that I really care about channel 44. Makes me wonder about the tuners in my TiVo though. Oh well, all the main channels (plus WRTN) are coming in fine...
post #4185 of 4185 Old Today, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
OK, thanks, it's just me then, ha! I honestly don't think I've ever seen part of a channel (X.2) suddenly appear perfectly and then disappear with no change in the antenna, the weather or anything else. Weird. Not that I really care about channel 44. Makes me wonder about the tuners in my TiVo though. Oh well, all the main channels (plus WRTN) are coming in fine...
The station could be still making adjustments?

Everybody have a GREAT Labor Day weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception