Nashville, TN - OTA - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 329Likes

Old 08-01-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 2763
Noticed all subchannels are down on channel 6 (physical channel 7).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
Noticed all subchannels are down on channel 6 (physical channel 7).
I just checked and no problem on my end. They are all coming in. I do have to say that for a time on Saturday that Retro TV was being shown, but now, it is back the way it was with green bars.

NashDigie signing off.

Nashville Digital TV News & More

Old 08-19-2016, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I don't know how, or even if, this will affect our market, but I'll be glad when it's over with.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/dis...ew-bids/407098
Old 08-20-2016, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"What a revoltin' development this is!"
Chester A. Riley
Old 08-20-2016, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrotv View Post
I don't know how, or even if, this will affect our market, but I'll be glad when it's over with.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/dis...ew-bids/407098
I guess it's too early to say whether or not they'll reach their target amount of $88.4 billion from wireless phone carriers for the spectrum being auctioned but they certainly have a long way to go. By close of the first week of the forward auction yesterday, they were 12% of the way there. If they fail to reach the target of $88.4 billion, it sounds to me like the whole process will be repeated on a lesser amount of TV spectrum, first with another reverse auction among TV broadcasters, followed by another forward auction among wireless carriers.

From the perspective of OTA TV viewers, it may be a good thing if a lesser amount of spectrum (114 MHz instead of the current 126 MHz) gets transitioned from TV to wireless phone. But that will mean the whole process drags out longer and that TV broadcasters will get a bit less money. I'm sure all of that will have some impact on how the rollout of ATSC 3.0 -- another huge project facing TV broadcasters -- plays out...
Old 08-31-2016, 03:20 PM

Here's the latest on the incentive auction.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/000...-target/279327
Old 09-17-2016, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
What's happened to THIS network on 6.3? It disappeared for a couple of days and it looks like now it has been replaced with other programming.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrick103 View Post
What's happened to THIS network on 6.3? It disappeared for a couple of days and it looks like now it has been replaced with other programming.
Yeah, I noticed that earlier today. I am going to try and find out, even though I don't watch it much, if any, at all.

NashDigie signing off.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:19 AM

I check those channels sometimes to see what's on & what's not. Looks like that classic movie channel is in place of This TV. 6.2 is blank right now. Don't know if This TV will come back or not. Retro continues to be MIA.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:53 PM

Retro is back, at least for now, & This TV. FYI, Retro is currently on 6.5 where the westerns were. 6.6 is still blank.
hdrick103 likes this.

Last edited by retrotv; 09-20-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:14 PM

Rick currently has a shopping channel on 6.6. Just what we need. It's as if he wants no one to watch his channels.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:22 AM

I noticed yesterday that I was no longer able to tune in NPT 8.1 or 8.2 (PBS) with my antenna, despite both normally coming in great. A check of the NPT website indicates that they're doing work on their broadcast tower. Looks like the signal will be out for the next several days while they do work.

http://blogs.wnpt.org/mediaupdate/20...r-maintenance/

Interestingly, they state that the outage does not affect Comcast or AT&T Uverse viewers, although it does affect DirecTV and Dish viewers (along with us OTA folks, of course). Apparently Comcast and AT&T have a direct wired linkage to WNPT to get the broadcast stream for redistribution while the satellite companies capture the OTA signal and then beam that up to their sats.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I noticed yesterday that I was no longer able to tune in NPT 8.1 or 8.2 (PBS) with my antenna, despite both normally coming in great. A check of the NPT website indicates that they're doing work on their broadcast tower. Looks like the signal will be out for the next several days while they do work.
Thanks, NashGuy! I hope the work will allow me to get NPT again, but the work appears to be structural; fingers crossed!
NashGuy likes this.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post

http://blogs.wnpt.org/mediaupdate/20...r-maintenance/

Interestingly, they state that the outage does not affect Comcast or AT&T Uverse viewers, although it does affect DirecTV and Dish viewers (along with us OTA folks, of course). Apparently Comcast and AT&T have a direct wired linkage to WNPT to get the broadcast stream for redistribution while the satellite companies capture the OTA signal and then beam that up to their sats.
Thanks for this info, I was getting concerned since NPT is one of the better channels but unfortunately one of the weaker channels.
NashGuy likes this.

PC Game Audio - http://satsun.org/audio/
Old 10-23-2016, 08:22 PM

I just checked and WNPT channel 8 is back on the air.

NashDigie signing off.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:59 AM

WNPT-Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashDigie View Post
I just checked and WNPT channel 8 is back on the air.
Yes, and with what seems like a stronger signal.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:22 AM

Subchannel Switch

There has been a switch with the subchannels. They involve Escape, Heartland, and ASN. Escape is now on WSMV 4.2, while ASN is on WKUW-LD 40.3. I don't know where or if Heartland will come back because ASN is on both WKUW channel 40 and WNAB channel 58.
hdrick103 likes this.

NashDigie signing off.

Last edited by NashDigie; 11-01-2016 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:28 AM

It would be a good time to switch some of the LP Dig-networks over to the full power stations, 4.2 and 58.2. Perhaps The Movies! Network and or Decades which is now on LP 31 WJDE. This would expand the viewer base overall, after a while it all becomes repetitive if you know what I mean.
retrotv likes this.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:17 PM

I've heard Heartland has moved to WLLC-LD channel 42.4. I don't know if it is or not, because I cannot receive that channel.

NashDigie signing off.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashDigie View Post
I've heard Heartland has moved to WLLC-LD channel 42.4. I don't know if it is or not, because I cannot receive that channel.
You're right NashDigie!
Old 11-26-2016, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi, I’m new to OTA (but very tech savvy) and gearing up for a trial run next week at cutting the cord. I’m having trouble deciding on an outdoor antenna that will pick up as many channels as possible. I’m in Franklin and my TV Fools report shows everything that I need is pretty much due north of me.

I’m not opposed to omnidirectional, but directional seems to make the most sense for me. My options for mounting are either to the back of a chimney (not visible above the chimney from the street, roughly 15-18' from the ground), off of my DirecTV dish mount which is on the back of my house just below my roof overhang (around 6' from the ground, but can be raised to 12'), or I can put it in my attic which is only 3’ tall due to a flat roof (roughly 12' from the ground). Any suggestions?

I was looking at the RCA ATN751Z or Clearstream 2v or 4v. Will these pick up all of the major networks in the Nashville area? At this point, I feel like I have researched too much and I’m afraid I’m looking at overkill. Please help!
Old 11-27-2016, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi! We cut the cord on cable about a year and a half ago, kept our high-speed internet and have an Amazon Fire TV box with Sling TV for $20/month so we can still watch all of our favorite channels that we had with cable (ESPN, HGTV, etc.). Don't miss cable in the least and we're saving so much money. Like you, I investigated a lot before buying, personally I learned that there's really no way of knowing how something will work until you try it for yourself. Reception varies so much from neighborhood to neighborhood, even from house to house. I bought the RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with 60 Mile Range through Amazon. I live in the Inglewood area, just north of East Nashville. Pretty much all of the transmitting towers are on the west side of Nashville, varying between north & south, and after lots of trips up & down the ladder I adjusted to get the best reception on the channels we would be watching the most. I wasn't getting PBS, and I found that when I raised the antenna just one more foot that did the trick, got a nice strong signal. Later, I installed the Channel Master CM-7777 Titan 2 Antenna Preamplifier (also bought it through Amazon) which helped lock-in signals much better, really happy with it, and we got more channels. It's not always perfect, usually we get a nice strong signal on everything but once in a while due to strong winds or bad weather the signal will occasionally cut out for a moment. We just laugh and say "hey, think of all the money we're saving", then it comes back on and everything's fine. Others will probably have better input but that's what worked for me, we're thrilled and hope you will be too.
tomintn and nebula328 like this.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave TN View Post
Hi! We cut the cord on cable about a year and a half ago, kept our high-speed internet and have an Amazon Fire TV box with Sling TV for $20/month so we can still watch all of our favorite channels that we had with cable (ESPN, HGTV, etc.). Don't miss cable in the least and we're saving so much money. Like you, I investigated a lot before buying, personally I learned that there's really no way of knowing how something will work until you try it for yourself. Reception varies so much from neighborhood to neighborhood, even from house to house. I bought the RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with 60 Mile Range through Amazon. I live in the Inglewood area, just north of East Nashville. Pretty much all of the transmitting towers are on the west side of Nashville, varying between north & south, and after lots of trips up & down the ladder I adjusted to get the best reception on the channels we would be watching the most. I wasn't getting PBS, and I found that when I raised the antenna just one more foot that did the trick, got a nice strong signal. Later, I installed the Channel Master CM-7777 Titan 2 Antenna Preamplifier (also bought it through Amazon) which helped lock-in signals much better, really happy with it, and we got more channels. It's not always perfect, usually we get a nice strong signal on everything but once in a while due to strong winds or bad weather the signal will occasionally cut out for a moment. We just laugh and say "hey, think of all the money we're saving", then it comes back on and everything's fine. Others will probably have better input but that's what worked for me, we're thrilled and hope you will be too.
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to review my choices one more time and pick which one I want to experiment with first. I'll let you guys know when I find out what works best!
tomintn and Dave TN like this.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula328 View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to review my choices one more time and pick which one I want to experiment with first. I'll let you guys know when I find out what works best!
I highly recommend buying an antenna (or two) from local retailers so that you can easily return them for a different model if you're not satisfied. Antenna reception is so dependent on the specifics of your individual location that it's really difficult to know which antenna might work best for you beforehand -- you just have to jump in and try one out and see how it works for you. You may find that putting an antenna in your attic works better for you because you have more freedom to move it around; sometimes shifting an antenna over just a few inches can make a big difference in how it picks up a particular station. If you mount it outside, it sounds like you'll be stuck with only a couple of possible spots (chimney or DirecTV mast).

I also recommend pairing your antenna with a pre-amp such as this one from RCA:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/14554631

I have that pre-amp and I like it because it lets me use two separate antennas for UHF and VHF (which I can position in different spots in my attic for best reception), with their signals combined and amplified in a single coax running from the pre-amp down to my TV.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula328 View Post
just remember, the old TV antenna 30+ years ago will work just like the new ones.
they transmit on the same radio waves. though with digital they can be on channel 24 and shows channel 1.
there is no such thing as HD antenna. that was just hype.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:04 PM

New network launching soon in a few markets on Fox subs. Maybe we will get it sometime.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/roma-dow...ox-1201855425/
tomintn likes this.
Old Today, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It looks like REVN has been replaced by a shopping channel (Jewery TV) on channel 6.2, EBRU (6.7) has been replaced by the old movie channel (public domain movies) that WRTN used to have and Retro TV is back on 6.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement