Nashville, TN - OTA - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4681 of 4694 Old 07-08-2017, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Jake V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia!
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post
My dad, 70 years old and somewhat of a technophobe, lives in the South Nashville Area off Haywood Lane. He has a multidirectional antenna with CM-7778 preamp that pulls in most of the stations, but ones like RF 31 (H&I) only come in on rare occasions (I know because I had it solid for one night when I was visiting him the first week of June).

Right now he also has a CM-7777 preamp that he is testing in place of the CM-7778 to try and pull in the weaker stations, but so far he is having no luck and seems to be getting essentially the same channels (which is odd as I thought the stronger ones would overload and he's lose them, assuming he's doing everything correctly and has everything hooked up correctly).

At any rate, he is about ready to give up and send the stronger pre-amp back, and since I reside in PA I can only try to help him over the phone (which is quite frustrating since he doesn't know much about these kinds of things), and so I was wondering if there was anyone on here who feels confident that they know enough about antenna adjustments, pre-amps, scanning for channels, etc. with no worries about getting up on the roof to make adjustments, and would be wiling (for a small fee of course), to test out the stronger pre-amp for him and see if his setup/antenna could be optimized/adjusted with the CM-7777 to pull in the local low power stations like H&I (without losing the channels he currently receives with the CM-7778) and also perhaps any stations outside Nashville that can be picked up? It would certainly be appreciated, and you could earn a few bucks to boot!
Nwiser: Here is a generic plot of signals at your dad's location: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a48b6d6fce55 It may or may not be valid for his location (a hill or large building between him and the antenna towers could make all the difference. That said...

1. Omni-antennas are not usually very good. What model is it and were is it located (attic? roof?)?
2. RF31 WJDE is a lower power station. It's also has a two edge signal for that location.
3. You may need to replace it with something that has more gain. If this were my plot, I'd try an Antennas Direct Clearstream C2 Max. If you aim it at about 331 degrees for WJDE it will likely pick up all or most of the green and yellow stations from ABC & PBS at 262 degrees to WHTN at 90 degrees. [No matter what antenna you purchase make sure the place you purchase it from has a good return policy.]

You might go to TV Fool, make a plot for his exact location and post it. That would be more useful than the generic plot I used above.
Jake V is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4682 of 4694 Old 07-08-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
Nwiser: Here is a generic plot of signals at your dad's location: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a48b6d6fce55 It may or may not be valid for his location (a hill or large building between him and the antenna towers could make all the difference. That said...

1. Omni-antennas are not usually very good. What model is it and were is it located (attic? roof?)?
2. RF31 WJDE is a lower power station. It's also has a two edge signal for that location.
3. You may need to replace it with something that has more gain. If this were my plot, I'd try an Antennas Direct Clearstream C2 Max. If you aim it at about 331 degrees for WJDE it will likely pick up all or most of the green and yellow stations from ABC & PBS at 262 degrees to WHTN at 90 degrees. [No matter what antenna you purchase make sure the place you purchase it from has a good return policy.]

You might go to TV Fool, make a plot for his exact location and post it. That would be more useful than the generic plot I used above.
You might try this business. I must state I have recently discovered their location on Home Advisor, and have no experience with Home Advisor, or the business. With my poor reception, I am considering trying Watts.

Good luck!

Watts | Lebanon, TN 37090 - HomeAdvisor
tomintn is offline  
post #4683 of 4694 Old 07-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
nwiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I live on the south side of Nashville too (near Harding Place at I-65), a little closer than you dad is to downtown, where the transmitter for WJDE channel 31 is located. When I first switched to OTA TV, I tried and tried various antennas and amps, in all different locations in my house, attic, roof and beside the house, to get a consistently strong signal on all the local stations, including 31. But I never could. There were times when I could get 31 to come in fine with no problems for maybe an hour or more -- if the antenna was located just right -- but I could never get it to stay that way. Sooner or later, the signal would begin breaking up. At least in my location, 31 is harder to reliably receive than any of the other local low power stations. It's just a really weak signal, only 5.3 kW ERP, which is about one-third the power of other low-power UHF stations like WKUW 40 and WLLC 42.

Nashville is generally one of the more difficult cities in the country for OTA reception due to the way the towers are spread out around town, on both UHF and VHF. The rolling hills probably don't help.
Thanks for the info...it leads me to believe its probably not just his setup that is the problem. He's at the bottom of the dip on Haywood lane so he's probably lucky to get the 40 or so channels that he does. Of course that doesn't make it any less frustrating to get a channel he really wants at 100% strength sometimes and 0% the rest of the time. But it's probably the best he can do absent buying another antenna and raising it up so that it scrapes the bottom of Southwest flights as they leave BNA .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
Nwiser: Here is a generic plot of signals at your dad's location: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a48b6d6fce55 It may or may not be valid for his location (a hill or large building between him and the antenna towers could make all the difference. That said...

1. Omni-antennas are not usually very good. What model is it and were is it located (attic? roof?)?
2. RF31 WJDE is a lower power station. It's also has a two edge signal for that location.
3. You may need to replace it with something that has more gain. If this were my plot, I'd try an Antennas Direct Clearstream C2 Max. If you aim it at about 331 degrees for WJDE it will likely pick up all or most of the green and yellow stations from ABC & PBS at 262 degrees to WHTN at 90 degrees. [No matter what antenna you purchase make sure the place you purchase it from has a good return policy.]

You might go to TV Fool, make a plot for his exact location and post it. That would be more useful than the generic plot I used above.
Here's the tvfool plot from his house: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4df302e1346 WJDE is in the green area, but I guess between the hills and his setup its not enough to receive it still.

He has an Xtreme Signal HDB8X-NI 8-Bay VHF/UHF HDTV Bowtie Antenna, mounted about 5 feet above his roofline. He got it because it folds and can essentially act as two 4-bays ganged together pointed in two directions, which, given the spread of the antenna towers there in nashville, seeemed like a good idea at the time.

He's had if for a few months and so aside from not being able to take it back now I don't think he's going to want to buy another antenna for just a few more channels. The stronger preamp was a hopeful swap/drop-in that just doesnt seem to have panned out. Thanks for the advice though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
You might try this business. I must state I have recently discovered their location on Home Advisor, and have no experience with Home Advisor, or the business. With my poor reception, I am considering trying Watts.

Good luck!

Watts | Lebanon, TN 37090 - HomeAdvisor
Thanks for the name. I will let him know!
nwiser is offline  
 
post #4684 of 4694 Old 07-09-2017, 06:11 PM
Member
 
Jake V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia!
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post
Here's the tvfool plot from his house: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4df302e1346 WJDE is in the green area, but I guess between the hills and his setup its not enough to receive it still.

He has an Xtreme Signal HDB8X-NI 8-Bay VHF/UHF HDTV Bowtie Antenna, mounted about 5 feet above his roofline. He got it because it folds and can essentially act as two 4-bays ganged together pointed in two directions, which, given the spread of the antenna towers there in nashville, seeemed like a good idea at the time.

He's had if for a few months and so aside from not being able to take it back now I don't think he's going to want to buy another antenna for just a few more channels. The stronger preamp was a hopeful swap/drop-in that just doesnt seem to have panned out. Thanks for the advice though.
What direction are the panels pointed at? It might be possible to adjust them. And their current aim might be causing issues.

For signals at multiple locations that antenna works best when it makes a right angle. I know people with channels in multiple directions who pointed one panel at the majority of signals (in your father's case about 329 degrees), and then the other (with the reflector removed to make it bi-directional) to 59 degrees (and simultaneously 239 degrees). With the antennas set so that the one facing to 329 does not 'look past' the one facing 59/239 degrees).
Jake V is offline  
post #4685 of 4694 Old 07-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
NashGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post
Thanks for the info...it leads me to believe its probably not just his setup that is the problem. He's at the bottom of the dip on Haywood lane so he's probably lucky to get the 40 or so channels that he does. Of course that doesn't make it any less frustrating to get a channel he really wants at 100% strength sometimes and 0% the rest of the time. But it's probably the best he can do absent buying another antenna and raising it up so that it scrapes the bottom of Southwest flights as they leave BNA .
Yeah. I'm near the bottom of a small dip in my neighborhood too. For what it's worth, I tried not only omni-directional UHF antennas but also a high-gain directional Yagi UHF antenna pointed directly toward channel 31 (both with and without a pre-amp) and it didn't make a difference. While I could get a signal strength as high as 50 (out of 100) for channel 31, and it would initially look rock-solid, it would invariably begin frequently breaking up at some point with the antenna in the same position, regardless of weather, time of day, etc.

BTW, my Antenna Fool report shows that I'm 6.4 miles from 31's tower downtown, with a 1-edge signal path. That report shows a few other small stations that are supposed to be more difficult to receive at my location than 31, but they aren't; 31 is the hardest for me to get reliably.

Now, all that said, OTA reception is highly location-dependent and it may be possible for your dad to reliably lock in ch 31. But if he chooses to shell out more money in an attempt to do it, he should know it's probably a long shot.
NashGuy is offline  
post #4686 of 4694 Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 3401
For the first time, in a long time, I am receiving WRTN-LD very well!
I guess their power is back to normal?
tomintn is offline  
post #4687 of 4694 Old 07-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
For the first time, in a long time, I am receiving WRTN-LD very well!
I guess their power is back to normal?
It looks like they are. It also looks like they have rearranged their channels again. 6.1 is still Daystar, 6.2 is Retro TV, 6.3 is This TV, 6.4 is Classic TV, 6.5 is ? (I think it is the western channel but am not sure), 6.6 is Evine (A shopping channel) and 6.7 is Jewerly TV. They must have fixed their transmitter today as I was not receiving it this morning.
tomintn likes this.
lug1 is offline  
post #4688 of 4694 Old 07-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lug1 View Post
It looks like they are. It also looks like they have rearranged their channels again. 6.1 is still Daystar, 6.2 is Retro TV, 6.3 is This TV, 6.4 is Classic TV, 6.5 is ? (I think it is the western channel but am not sure), 6.6 is Evine (A shopping channel) and 6.7 is Jewerly TV. They must have fixed their transmitter today as I was not receiving it this morning.
I just saw on channel 6.5 a ad asking the viewer to e-mail if we would like 6.5 to be the Western channel or REVN. It is the Western channel now. I hope it stays that way as REVN is as interesting as watching grass grow.
lug1 is offline  
post #4689 of 4694 Old 07-15-2017, 08:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post
My dad, 70 years old and somewhat of a technophobe, lives in the South Nashville Area off Haywood Lane. He has a multidirectional antenna with CM-7778 preamp that pulls in most of the stations, but ones like RF 31 (H&I) only come in on rare occasions (I know because I had it solid for one night when I was visiting him the first week of June).

Right now he also has a CM-7777 preamp that he is testing in place of the CM-7778 to try and pull in the weaker stations, but so far he is having no luck and seems to be getting essentially the same channels (which is odd as I thought the stronger ones would overload and he's lose them, assuming he's doing everything correctly and has everything hooked up correctly).

At any rate, he is about ready to give up and send the stronger pre-amp back, and since I reside in PA I can only try to help him over the phone (which is quite frustrating since he doesn't know much about these kinds of things), and so I was wondering if there was anyone on here who feels confident that they know enough about antenna adjustments, pre-amps, scanning for channels, etc. with no worries about getting up on the roof to make adjustments, and would be wiling (for a small fee of course), to test out the stronger pre-amp for him and see if his setup/antenna could be optimized/adjusted with the CM-7777 to pull in the local low power stations like H&I (without losing the channels he currently receives with the CM-7778) and also perhaps any stations outside Nashville that can be picked up? It would certainly be appreciated, and you could earn a few bucks to boot!
Hi, just wanted to chime-in on my recent success story of getting in the "31 channels" consistently for the first time in 2 years. I had a different outdoor antenna which a tree fell into and demolished, at best I would receive channel 31 for a few seconds if I was lucky then it would go away for an hour or more so I purchased the multidirectional one in the picture a few months ago hoping for better results. I live in Inglewood (just south of Madison). At first I had the bow ties facing toward each other at a 90 degree angle pointed directly at both clusters of transmitters facing northwest & southwest. It was a huge improvement on all of the channels, except 31 still was spotty (but better). On a whim I decided to try the 90 degree angle with the bowties facing outward from each other instead as pictured. That was the key for me, I get the "31 channels" very consistently now, it cuts out completely when it rains, other than that I get a nice clear signal day & night. I know this won't work for everyone but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case, I love the "H&I, Decades, and Movies!" channels - the best programming in my opinion other than Me TV. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 1.bmp (441.5 KB, 52 views)
hdrick103 likes this.

Last edited by Dave TN; 07-15-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Dave TN is offline  
post #4690 of 4694 Old 07-31-2017, 06:08 PM
Member
 
Scars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hey everyone,

I could use some help deciding which antenna is a good place to start.
Here's my map: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a41225b6d610

I'm current considering starting with either the ClearStream 2V UHF/VFH Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna or the Mohu Sky 60 Attic/Outdoor HDTV Antenna.

The house is currently hooked up with a satellite that I plan on replacing.

I'm open to better suggestions, but the antenna can't look like a "box of wire" or "a nasty birds nest" per the wife.
Warus likes this.

Media Room 5.2: Marantz SR5010; Klipsch RP-280F (L/R), RP-450C (C), RP-250S (SL/SR), R-112SW (2x SW); LG OLED65B7A; Samsung UBD-K8500; Sony Playstation 4 Pro; Roku Premiere+
Scars is online now  
post #4691 of 4694 Old 08-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
NashGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Hey everyone,

I could use some help deciding which antenna is a good place to start.
Here's my map: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a41225b6d610

I'm current considering starting with either the ClearStream 2V UHF/VFH Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna or the Mohu Sky 60 Attic/Outdoor HDTV Antenna.

The house is currently hooked up with a satellite that I plan on replacing.

I'm open to better suggestions, but the antenna can't look like a "box of wire" or "a nasty birds nest" per the wife.
The first thing I would tell you is to purchase antenna(s) from retailers with an easy return process, such as local physical stores like Walmart, Best Buy, etc. You may end up trying more than one to see what works best for your particular location.

Between the two antennas you show, my gut says to try out the ClearStream first, for two reasons. One, it's cheaper. Two, it has a dedicated VHF antenna separate from the UHF antenna and two of our major locals (NBC 4 and PBS 8) are on VHF. (Actually, CBS 5 has their main signal on UHF but also a weaker simulcast signal on VHF too.)

Another thing I'd tell you is that you may find you get the best results, as I do, by using two separate antennas, one for UHF and one for VHF, which you can mount in separate places for optimal reception of channels, and then combine the feeds from the two into a pre-amp with separate inputs for UHF and VHF antennas. I wouldn't suggest that you start out with that complicated of a set-up but it's something to keep in mind in case a simple single antenna set-up doesn't reliably pull in all the channels you care about.
NashGuy is offline  
post #4692 of 4694 Old 08-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
NashDigie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East of Nashville, TN
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Per Just Released Article, Fox could move from WZTV to WNPX

An article just released today said that Fox is in talks with ION Media to operate their stations and in turn, could pull the Fox affiliation from Sinclair stations, including WZTV. A link to the article is below.


Fox is in Talks with ION Media to Operate Local Stations

NashDigie signing off.

Nashville Digital TV News & More

NashDigie is offline  
post #4693 of 4694 Old 08-21-2017, 05:54 AM
Member
 
Scars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
The first thing I would tell you is to purchase antenna(s) from retailers with an easy return process, such as local physical stores like Walmart, Best Buy, etc. You may end up trying more than one to see what works best for your particular location.

Between the two antennas you show, my gut says to try out the ClearStream first, for two reasons. One, it's cheaper. Two, it has a dedicated VHF antenna separate from the UHF antenna and two of our major locals (NBC 4 and PBS 8) are on VHF. (Actually, CBS 5 has their main signal on UHF but also a weaker simulcast signal on VHF too.)

Another thing I'd tell you is that you may find you get the best results, as I do, by using two separate antennas, one for UHF and one for VHF, which you can mount in separate places for optimal reception of channels, and then combine the feeds from the two into a pre-amp with separate inputs for UHF and VHF antennas. I wouldn't suggest that you start out with that complicated of a set-up but it's something to keep in mind in case a simple single antenna set-up doesn't reliably pull in all the channels you care about.
Finally pulled the trigger on this. The ClearStream is picking up CBS (twice), NBC, ABC and PBS with zero issue. Fox, ION and CW are a bit problematic. For a number of reasons, I'm not going to be able to change the physical location on the roof, but I've purchased a 40" extension, versus my current 20". If that doesn't clear things up, I'll get the reflector. If all of that fails, I'll be back here begging for help
NashGuy likes this.

Media Room 5.2: Marantz SR5010; Klipsch RP-280F (L/R), RP-450C (C), RP-250S (SL/SR), R-112SW (2x SW); LG OLED65B7A; Samsung UBD-K8500; Sony Playstation 4 Pro; Roku Premiere+
Scars is online now  
post #4694 of 4694 Old 09-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Member
 
retrotv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Middle Tn
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Light TV is on 44.3.
retrotv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off