AVS Forum banner

Nashville, TN - OTA

653K views 6K replies 345 participants last post by  ITGrouch 
#1 ·
Nashville Fox 17 Sinclair owned. Now that Fox network has stepped up to the plate with HD football is there anything we can do to hurry along local Fox affiliates owned by Sinclair. Nashville Fox 17 does not have a clue as to when it will be able to pass HD signals from the network.

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by dwynne
Can you confirm that Fox is also in low power (the 0.5kw figure you mention) and do they only test during the day?

I was exaggerating. They're actually at 24 kW for their digital signal. The actual power that these stations use on their digital broadcast confirms what you're seeing.

ABC (2-1) - 946 kW

CBS (5-1) - 405 kW

PBS (8-1) - 44.8 kW

Fox (17-1) - 24 kW

You can look up their permit info at:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WZTV

Lee

#28 ·
Thanks for the info, Lee

I have not gotten home from work lately in time to catch NPT before they pull the DTV plug - and I know they are off at 6pm. I have not seen anything on ZTV either - and I had a signal when I put the antenna up (and it has not moved) so I am assuming they are shutting down at night during this test phase as well. They are even LESS power than NPT, but as a commerical station should be able to "afford" to pump that up when they get the rest of their stuff ready to go

Dennis

#29 ·
Ok, I checked all of the locals (that I care about) and it looks like this to me - please correct me if I am wrong:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WZTV

17 (Fox) has a "construction permit" to go 1000kw ERP on channel 15 for HD, but are doing 24kw ERP - no wonder I don't get a solid signal

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WNPT

8 (PBS) is 935.6 kw construction, but is doing 44.8 kw now

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WSMV

4 (NBC) is licensed (and broadcasting) 42.4 kw ERP (that does not sound like much to me, but it is VHF)

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WTVF

5 (CBS) is licensed (and broadcasting) 405 kw ERP

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WKRN

2 (ABC) is licensed for (and broadcasting) 946kw ERP (we should be able to get them on a wet string)

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WNAB

58 (WB) is licensed for 350kw ERP and is broadcasting 18.4 kw now (another one hard to get at this power)

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WXUP

30 (UPN) is licensed for 1000kw ERP and appears to be broadcasting 7.6kw ERP (might need a bigged antenna to lock this one until they crank up the power)

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WNPX

28 (Pax) is licensed for 733 kw ERP and is broadcasting 650 kw ERP

Did I read all of that correctly?

Thanks!

Dennis

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by leewcraft
I think so. I'm surprised that NBC is such low power, but I guess VHF must not require as much power as UHF.

Is this why I cant get 4.2? I'm new to Voom from Comcast and still learning OTA's. Thanks.

Jerry

#33 ·
I can get 4.1 okay. I havent been able to receive the HD channell since VOOM put in the antenna. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Jerry

#36 ·
There's no such thing as 4.2. You should get the HD content on 4.1.

We had two subchannels for awhile, but shut down the SD simulcast a few months ago so 4.1 is the only one you should get.

(incidentially, last week we hooked up the 5.1 Dolby audio encoder - some of the Olympics will be in 5.1 surround, along with some other NBC programming - we're hoping all is OK with the audio but if it isn't please drop me a line at dsmith1@wsmv.com ...)

The 42.whatever kw power we're running is the maximum permitted on VHF channel 10. VHF "gets out" a lot better than UHF for the same power. Among analog stations, the FCC limits channels 7-13 to 316kw; UHF stations are allowed up to 5000kw. They figure both stations will have the same coverage. Our 42kw on channel 10 is analogous to about 600kw on channel 27.

At my location in Cheatham Co., our signal is at a par with WKRN's 900kw on channel 27. (WKRN's DTV works a LOT better than their analog!) WTVF comes in second with their 400+kw on channel 56; then, WB on channel 23, then Pax on 36 (there's a lot of interference from Kentucky on 36 up here), then PBS on 46. Fox and UPN on 15 and 21 can be seen under good conditions but it's tough. I've seen the religious station on 38 and the home-shopping on 44 but both only once. I know the religious station on 51 is on with their 400 watts (seen while visiting the base of their tower!) but not a hint up here.

(but UPN has a directional antenna and has less than 1kw in my direction. A 1kw analog on channel 21 would be completely invisible at this distance!)

#37 ·
Thanks for the info, Doug. My CM amp should show up today and I will see if that helps pick up the 4.1 signal - it comes and goes for me, but I have just a UHF up at this point.

Just curious, did you guys have any say-so in the channel you got for HD? With all the others up on UHF it makes having you on VHF a bit of a pain - antenna-wise.

I had never gotten anything on 4.2 either, my HDTivo "knew" based on my location that it was supposed to be there - but I could never find a signal on it even when I had a solid lock on 4.1 . Now I know why

Dennis

#38 ·
Hey Doug,

Here's yet another signal strength report from me (BG, KY).

I picked up a new STB (the MIT MDR-200) and when connected to my VHF attic mounted antenna I can get WSMV perfectly with no dropouts ever. This is a slight improvement from my Tosh DST-3000 which had the occaisonal dropout (and would never give up the idea that there wasn't a channel 4.2 even after it was turned off).

-Reagan

#40 ·
durl,

Are you using a VHF antenna? It makes a big difference for WSMV.

Doug,

Great news on the 5.1. Thanks for the info.

-Reagan

#41 ·
I am going to try to get by w/o a VHF antenna. I will know if this will work after I hook up the 7777 amp (maybe tonight after work).

Questions:

In 7777 amp pictures I have sometimes seen a weather cover for the unused (for now) VHF input. My 7777 did not include such a device, just f connector weather boots. I assume I need to close off this port with something?

Also, anyone knows of a good source for a SMALL channel 10 antenna in case I need one. Stark carries some TACO antennas but they are 5 element - so the channel 10 has a boom of 2' 8". This might be fine for Reagan in KY, but I don't need anything that big

I was thinking just a 2 element antenna would be more than enough and would be a lot smaller.

Dennis

#42 ·
That's the inherent problem with VHF...antennas have to be big to be good. I was able to pick up NBC with one UHF antenna but not with another, so it's sort of a crapshoot whether you can get it with a non-VHF antenna. You can get an indoor VHF antenna, but it's usually the big rabbit ears type.

Lee

#43 ·
I can also get spotty reception of WSMV with a 3x3 foot CM4228 UHF antenna. Given that you're a lot closer to the tower, it may work for you.

-Reagan

#44 ·
Reagan,

I use an HDTV-UHF antenna. It's a Zenith ZHDTV1 indoor. ABC comes in very strong and CBS comes in good as well. NBC falls in the medium range. Fox, UPN, even the PAX locals come in much better than NBC.

I figured that NBC just didn't hit my house as well as the other channels.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by durl
Reagan,

I use an HDTV-UHF antenna. It's a Zenith ZHDTV1 indoor. ABC comes in very strong and CBS comes in good as well. NBC falls in the medium range. Fox, UPN, even the PAX locals come in much better than NBC.

I figured that NBC just didn't hit my house as well as the other channels.

NBC is the only local HD NOT on UHF - they are on VHF channel 10. So you (and I) are trying to fit a round peg into a square hole when we use a UHF antenna to pick them up.

There may be only one channel number difference between VHF channel 13 and UHF channel 14 but there is a BUNCH of difference in the frequencies - 211.25 mhz VS 471.25 mhz! So having an antenna tuned to pick up 471.25 mhz to 801.25 mhz is not likely to make a good antenna to pick up 211.25 mhz.

I am going to have to put up some kind of VHF antenna to go with the UHF CM 4 bay - channel 4 (on channel 10) just does not have a solid signal using the UHF antenna - even with an amp. Sounds like you need to do the same.

Dennis

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by w9wi
The 42.whatever kw power we're running is the maximum permitted on VHF channel 10. VHF "gets out" a lot better than UHF for the same power. Among analog stations, the FCC limits channels 7-13 to 316kw; UHF stations are allowed up to 5000kw. They figure both stations will have the same coverage. Our 42kw on channel 10 is analogous to about 600kw on channel 27.

I think I know the answer to my own question

While being on VHF 10 may not be ideal for folks trying to PICK UP your signal, being limited by the FCC to 42kw is a HUGE bonus to your station in that you have a TON lower costs for amps and electricity.

A friend works at WTVF and he was talking about the water cooled, tons of money stuff they have to run to crank out the power that they have to have on 56. I think they were originally slated to get the channel 10 slot (2 x 5 = 10) but somehow that got changed. We folks trying to watch OTA may be dissappointed, but your station is probably really glad you got the channel that you did

Dennis

#48 ·
Speaking strictly for myself (as I doubt the company has any official opinion on the matter!) the channel 10 assignment was indeed a financial bonus. We were honestly surprised by the assignment; it wasn't anything we asked for. The assignments were made automatically by computer. After the table came out, stations were allowed to ask for changes.

I don't recall why they did it, but the FCC ran the entire assignment table twice. As I remember it, we drew channel 42 the first time around; then, they reran it and we got channel 10. There were a LOT of other changes, nationwide.

Quite a few stations have successfully petitioned the FCC to change their digital assignments. These changes have all happened after the original table was released. If I recall properly there have been no changes in Middle Tennessee; everyone has built on the channel they were originally assigned.

Actually the channel 10 slot is *not* twice channel 5 -- channel 5 is 76-82MHz, while channel 10 is 192-198MHz.

Right now it looks like WTVF will end up moving back from channel 56 to channel 5 at the end of transition; channels 52-69 are going away at the end of analog. However, there may end up being an "out" for that, and they may be able to pick up one of the UHF channels abandoned by one of the other stations.

#49 ·
Durl, what part of town are you in? There are some pretty dramatic differences in reception depending on terrain. And Nashville is unusual in that the transmitters are spread around town. (in most cities, all TV towers are within 2-3miles of each other)

UHF antennas are going to be hit-or-miss on channel 10. Amplified UHF antennas are less likely to work on channel 10 than unamplified ones. (I'm hard-pressed to think of a place in Davidson County where an amplifier should be necessary)

#50 ·
Hey Doug,

You mentioned that channels 52-69 will be going away, what about 2-6? Any new information on that front?

-Reagan

#51 ·

Quote:
You mentioned that channels 52-69 will be going away, what about 2-6? Any new information on that front?

Nope... right now the official line is still that 2-6 will be staying with us.

There has been a release that suggests stations will be allowed to pick a channel freed up by some other station as their permanent DTV channel.

For example, WTVF's DTV channel is 56 and their analog channel is of course 5. WZTV's digital is 15 and analog 17. At the end of transition, WZTV will be required to return either channel 15 or channel 17.

Since 56 is "outside core", theoretically WTVF will be required to move their DTV to channel 5 at the end of transition.

Under the recent releases, it looks like WTVF will be allowed to request either channel 15 or 17, whichever one WZTV doesn't keep. Or, they can stick with channel 5.