37Likes

post #721 of 3671 Old 07-14-2005, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Quick question for you Nashville folks. Does WSMV multicast?

No...and I hope it remains that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3671 Old 07-16-2005, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTNN View Post

No...and I hope it remains that way.

Excellent, going to order a cut-for-channel yagi. Our NBC affiliate multicasts TWO subchannels, with a possible third on the way. NASCAR looks terrible and the NFL in 2006, grrr, don't even want to think about that.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #723 of 3671 Old 07-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

We live around Hendersonville near Vietnam Veterans Blvd and we get very good signal from all the digital stations...and that's using an indoor antenna. We even picked up a couple new ones that I couldn't get before. We recently moved from a spot about 7-8 miles southwest from where we are now and the signal improved even though I was afraid moving further out would make the reception worse.

If you're curious about digital channels (although not necessarily HD), you can go to www.antennaweb.org and enter a ZIP code and you'll see what's available and how far the ZIP is from the tower.

So good reception and much lower property taxes make our area a nice place to live. :-)
post #724 of 3671 Old 07-18-2005, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

Why is WTVF switching frequencies? And why can't the equipment they purchased be adjusted to the new frequency whenever they decide to switch?

Their original assignment (channel 56) is being removed from TV service. It'll be auctioned for other services. It's not WTVF's choice, the FCC is forcing them to move.

Right now they seem to have chosen to move their digital operation to channel 5.(their current analog assignment) Those frequencies are VERY different, most of the channel 56 equipment is not suitable for use on channel 5. It's kinda like trying to use a CB radio to transmit TV pictures.

It seems likely they will change channel assignments again. "Low-band" channels 2-6 are proving not very suitable for digital operation, most stations are opting for "high-band" channels 7-13 or UHF channels 14-51. An assignment towards the top of the UHF range *might* be able to use some of the existing channel 56 gear. Might not.

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
http://www.w9wi.com
post #725 of 3671 Old 07-23-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyarbie View Post

I've read that 50 Raycom stations in the U.S. are supposed to be multicasting a new channel called the Tube starting this summer. A local affiliate out of Huntsville is multicasting it starting today and it is great. It's commercial-free 24/7 music videos without all that reality crap that VH1 and MTV has. The videos they show are both from today and yesterday. So far I've seen videos that date as far back as the 60s all the way up to some from this year. I just wanted to know if there would be any stations in Nashville that would be multicasting this channel. For more information on The Tube channel, check out this address:http://www.thetubetv.com.

i get it, wish it was in HD
post #726 of 3671 Old 08-06-2005, 12:22 PM

Didn't see this covered yet. Have been having continual problems getting a consistent OTA signal, particularly on the local CBS affiliate. Am in Nashville, farthest OTA broadcast antenna is 12 miles, have tried an outdoor Winegard uni-directional and an indoor amplified Samsung. The Samsung is giving me a signal strength of over 80 on CBS, but am still suffering dropouts. Am on Dish with a 942 receiver.

Funny thing is that wind seems to affect signal locking. No wind, it's usually fine. With any wind, signal dropouts are rampant.

I'm stumped and frustrated as is the antenna guy who has been here three times. Any advice?
post #727 of 3671 Old 08-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbers View Post

Didn't see this covered yet. Have been having continual problems getting a consistent OTA signal, particularly on the local CBS affiliate. Am in Nashville, farthest OTA broadcast antenna is 12 miles, have tried an outdoor Winegard uni-directional and an indoor amplified Samsung. The Samsung is giving me a signal strength of over 80 on CBS, but am still suffering dropouts. Am on Dish with a 942 receiver.

Funny thing is that wind seems to affect signal locking. No wind, it's usually fine. With any wind, signal dropouts are rampant.

I'm stumped and frustrated as is the antenna guy who has been here three times. Any advice?

Most likely multipath is your problem. Try to get a very directional antenna, I like the AntennasDirect X91. How close are you to WTVF?

Alex
post #728 of 3671 Old 08-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Good news for Veronica Mars fans - I got an email from WUXP today saying they plan to start broadcasting HD in the fourth quarter of this year (I'm hoping October, but they wouldn't narrow it down for me), and it should be carried on Comcast too.
post #729 of 3671 Old 08-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
My parents just moved in Clarksville (to the Sango area), and they bought an HD tv for the first time with a built-in tuner. I thought that they were too far away from Nashville to get a signal from an indoor antenna, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that my Silver Sensor picked up all the UHF stations with no problems.

It seemed easier to pick up a signal from their house than from my house in the Percy Priest Lake area of Nashville, which is at least 15 miles closer to the towers.

I ordered E* for them with a 942 DVR, so I hope that it picks up the signal as well as the TV does now.
post #730 of 3671 Old 08-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Is something wrong with WKRN or is it just me? Everything seems in slow-mo.

Alex
post #731 of 3671 Old 08-27-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

Is something wrong with WKRN or is it just me? Everything seems in slow-mo.

It wasn't you. Hopefully it will be working for all of tomorrow's LLWS championship game.
post #732 of 3671 Old 09-04-2005, 01:09 PM

I have been receiving Channel 5's ATSC channel fine since Spring of 2002 but not the signal is dropping out two or three time per minute. I haven't changed anything on my end. Has something changed with their broadcast?

I'm in Hermitage with a roof-top antenna.

Thanks...
post #733 of 3671 Old 09-07-2005, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in TN View Post

I have been receiving Channel 5's ATSC channel fine since Spring of 2002 but not the signal is dropping out two or three time per minute. I haven't changed anything on my end. Has something changed with their broadcast?

I'm in Hermitage with a roof-top antenna.

Thanks...

I check this message board from time to time for information about our local OTA HDTV progress and problems, and I might can help you with your channel 5 problem. I have been working with my OTA HDTV setup for about a year and a half now, and I can tell you that channel 5 is the most difficult of all the Nashville stations to pull in reliably. Because of the high UHF frequency of channel 5's HD signal it is far more prone to problems than the others. Moisture will affect their signal much more than the others. I lost my channel 5 HD altogether back in the fall of last year. The problem turned out to be water in the Balun. You might want to check yours. This water did not affect the other channels but did channel 5 bad enough to completely knock out the signal. Check for water in your coax and booster if you have one also. It could be something else, but moisture is likely the problem. Even with every part of your antenna system perfect, moisture like rain or fog, can knock channel 5 off the air. Fog is actually worse than rain. I have heard that channel 5 has boosted their power level this summer. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have noticed a slight increase in my signal strength from what it has been. I still have problems with it though. In my opinion channel 5 will never be able to deliver a reliable signal with the frequency assignment they now have. It will have to be changed at some point anyway as I understand it, because they are now in the frequency range which will have to be given back to the goverment at the end of NTSC broadcasts. Lets hope it is sooner rather than later.

Steve
post #734 of 3671 Old 09-10-2005, 10:35 AM

I received Channel 5's ATSC channel fine for three years. Can't figure out what has changed. Channel 5 used to be the channel that I received the best.
post #735 of 3671 Old 09-12-2005, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just got an HD tuner, and can recieve almost everything here in Hermitage.

2-1 WKRN-DT 82% locked
4-1 WSMV-DT 60% locked
5-1 WTVF-DT 65% locked
8-1 WNPT-DT 10-20% does lock sometimes
17-1 WZTV-DT 92% locked
28-1 WNPX-DT 86% locked
30-1 WUXP-DT 59% locked
50-1 WPGD-DT 70% locked
58-1 WNAB-DT 81% locked

These are all with the $89 Accurian (Radio Shack) STB, and an old unamplified Winegard Sensar I had lying around. I originally did buy a used a Samsung SIR-T351 which I had a lot of trouble with. It would drop out whenever a plane flew over, or the wind blew hard.
post #736 of 3671 Old 09-12-2005, 09:12 PM

It's definitely something to do with my antenna. I thought that perhaps my in-line amp had failed so I went up to the attic and removed it from the system. No help. I then tried connecting my old Radio Shack set-top UHF antenna up there in the attic and 5-1 is fine.

Obviously, something's wrong when a small set-top antenna outperforms a big roof-top antenna.

Anyone know of a good antenna guy who'll work in Hermitage? (I don't do roofs)
post #737 of 3671 Old 09-13-2005, 07:55 AM

Quote:

It's definitely something to do with my antenna. I thought that perhaps my in-line amp had failed so I went up to the attic and removed it from the system. No help. I then tried connecting my old Radio Shack set-top UHF antenna up there in the attic and 5-1 is fine.

Obviously, something's wrong when a small set-top antenna outperforms a big roof-top antenna.

Anyone know of a good antenna guy who'll work in Hermitage? (I don't do roofs)

It is probably not your antenna but like I said above the BALUN (75 Ohm transformer) that is attached to it. If you don't feel comfortable getting up on your roof then you probably should call an antenna repair company. Antennas are cheap, but hospital bills are not. But if you wanted to try it yourself then go to Radio Shack and buy their best 75 Ohm transformer (The one with gold terminal connectors) about $5. Clean the connectors on the antenna with steel wool or fine grit sand paper, and attach the new transformer. Check the coax connector also, and if it looks clean just reuse it. If not it really should be replaced also. Might just fix you up.

Steve
post #738 of 3671 Old 09-26-2005, 09:23 AM

Now I'm losing the WTVF-DT signal with the set top antena. Maybe it's time to get the HD box from Comcast?
post #739 of 3671 Old 09-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

If you don't have a DVR, you will love the convenience, plus of course yes you will get channel 5 and all the other HD channels.

I do still keep my attic antenna working though as a rarely needed backup.
post #740 of 3671 Old 09-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

WSMV... you've been good for so long, but now tonight the 3rd and 4th acts of Surface were switched to SD.
post #741 of 3671 Old 09-27-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2828 View Post

WSMV... you've been good for so long, but now tonight the 3rd and 4th acts of Surface were switched to SD.

Many shows on WSMV that should be in HD actually start in SD and at some point change over to HD. Sometimes within the program they will switch back and forth. They have some kind of problem with this. I have heard that they have to manually flip a switch to go to HD. I don't understand this, and it seems a recipe for disaster to me. This will never work when everyone is on the HD channels. They would get too many complaints, but there are so few of us now using their HD channels that I think they look at it still as a test channel, and that it is really not a serious problem. Some people have complained to WSMV in the past, but it has had little effect.

Steve
post #742 of 3671 Old 09-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52 View Post

Many shows on WSMV that should be in HD actually start in SD and at some point change over to HD. Sometimes within the program they will switch back and forth. They have some kind of problem with this. I have heard that they have to manually flip a switch to go to HD. I don't understand this, and it seems a recipe for disaster to me. This will never work when everyone is on the HD channels. They would get too many complaints, but there are so few of us now using their HD channels that I think they look at it still as a test channel, and that it is really not a serious problem. Some people have complained to WSMV in the past, but it has had little effect.

My understanding is that when they insert local SD commercials in they have to "flip a switch" to do that, then they forget (?) to flip it back once the local SD commercial insert is done - so we get SD until someone catches the problem and "flips the switch" again.

Which brings up a another point - when are they going to produce HD commercials? I skip them all with the HD Tivos anyway, but an eye-popping HD commercial should help keep the HD viewers from channel surfing when watching live TV.

Dennis
post #743 of 3671 Old 09-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwynne View Post

My understanding is that when they insert local SD commercials in they have to "flip a switch" to do that, then they forget (?) to flip it back once the local SD commercial insert is done - so we get SD until someone catches the problem and "flips the switch" again.

Which brings up a another point - when are they going to produce HD commercials? I skip them all with the HD Tivos anyway, but an eye-popping HD commercial should help keep the HD viewers from channel surfing when watching live TV.

Dennis

Regarding commercials, a few HD ones have been done. Ford has done a few, most recently their new truck commercial. American Express has done a couple.
post #744 of 3671 Old 09-28-2005, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
HD commercials are a little more expensive to produce, which is why you don't see more of them, but they are out there. IBM's latest "Help Desk" ad campaign is produced in HD and is shown on just about any HD show I've seen. If you watch NFL football on Sunday, IBM is often a sponsor. Target also produces many of their ads in HD as well. And Pioneer does their commercials for their HD plasma sets in HD....sometimes they appear on Monday Night Football on ABC.

Rick
post #745 of 3671 Old 09-28-2005, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2828 View Post

If you don't have a DVR, you will love the convenience, plus of course yes you will get channel 5 and all the other HD channels.

I have TiVo but it's not HD. As I understand it, I won't be able to get the HD DVR from Comcast because I don't subscribe to the digital service. I'll just pay the $5/mo for the HD box.
post #746 of 3671 Old 10-03-2005, 09:04 AM

Has anyone here ever measured or happen to know how much bandwidth is used by WTVF's graphic on channel 5-2?
post #747 of 3671 Old 10-04-2005, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I have TiVo but it's not HD. As I understand it, I won't be able to get the HD DVR from Comcast because I don't subscribe to the digital service. I'll just pay the $5/mo for the HD box.

You used to be able to but they shut the door on that some months ago. There are a few of us like myself who got DVRs before the policy change.

Rick
post #748 of 3671 Old 10-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

You used to be able to but they shut the door on that some months ago. There are a few of us like myself who got DVRs before the policy change.

I am thinking that when it fails you will be no longer "Grandfathered" in

Dennis
post #749 of 3671 Old 10-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

So what's up with channel 8.2 showing up on my program guide?

Any chance that this means WNPT will be broadcasting HD?
post #750 of 3671 Old 10-08-2005, 02:53 PM

I've never had any problems receiving 5.1 (WTVF) over the air in Spring Hill. For some reason today, during the UT Georgia game, I can't get a signal lock. It keeps jumping from 69% to 0%. Anyone else having this problem?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page