Nashville, TN - OTA - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #811 of 3571 Old 01-20-2006, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live 60 to 65 miles from the towers in Nashville and I checked 8-1 & 8-2 around 5:30 late yesterday afternoon. I got nothing as usual. I do remember sometime last year being home in the daytime during the week and getting 8-1 which I thought was strange at the time.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3571 Old 01-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Sounds like a distance problem. We're not more than about 6 miles away from channel 8's tower, according to antennaweb.

John
post #813 of 3571 Old 01-22-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Channel 5 signal died right at the end of the 1st game today ... did anyone else see this?
post #814 of 3571 Old 01-22-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmanky View Post

Channel 5 signal died right at the end of the 1st game today ... did anyone else see this?

Yes. Seems to be back now.
post #815 of 3571 Old 01-22-2006, 04:31 PM

Hi, all. I'm located in the 12 South area of Nashville (37204, inside the I-440 loop). After investing far too much time in my setup, OTA HDTV is more or less working at my house. Here's the equipment:
1) Terk TV32 UHF antenna in the attic, wired through the house cable system. It's pointing due north toward the cluster of antennas north of town.
2) Samsung SIR-T351 ATSC tuner
3) Sony 30" widescreen HD Monitor.

At the moment, I can get 2, 4, 17, 30, and 58 clearly, but channels 5(CBS) and 8(PBS) are rarely strong enough (or unipath enough) to produce a signal. I'm surprised at the clarity of 2 and 4 since the antenna isn't pointed in the right direction for them, but then it's not a strongly directional antenna.

I tried a SmarTenna so that I could pull signal in all directions, but the gain was insufficient (without a preamp).

Does anyone have suggestions for improving 5 and 8? I'm so close to the transmitters that it should be trivial to draw those signals.

DT
post #816 of 3571 Old 01-22-2006, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Maybe you need to try an amp; I'm thinking about it. I live in Hermitage, on a hill facing the main towers. I use a DirecTV H10, an unamplified Winegard Sensar, and a 30" Sony widescreen HDTV.

I almost always get 5, but almost never get 8. 2 and 4 are good, but can break up in high wind. 17, 30, and 58 are usually solid. I usually even get 28 and 50 with its 5 subchannels!

I also used a SIR-T351, but multipath was horrible. I then got the Accurian box from Radio Shack, and had much better results. They both got most channels, even 8 sometimes. I then upgraded to DirecTV HD and started using the built-in ATSC tuner.
post #817 of 3571 Old 01-24-2006, 06:24 AM

The amp might help, but I think your observation about multipath distortion is likely to be the problem, ChrisPC. I've considered getting a second antenna pointed at the PBS transmitter and hooking it up alongside my current one, but that's probably not so helpful. Maybe a more strongly directional antenna would be better? Upgrading my receiver would probably help a lot, but I may wait until they become more ubiquitous and standardized. Is this MPEG4 transition I'm hearing about going to require new OTA tuners, or is that a satellite system-specific issue?
post #818 of 3571 Old 01-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPC View Post

Maybe you need to try an amp; I'm thinking about it. I live in Hermitage, on a hill facing the main towers. I use a DirecTV H10, an unamplified Winegard Sensar, and a 30" Sony widescreen HDTV.

I almost always get 5, but almost never get 8. 2 and 4 are good, but can break up in high wind. 17, 30, and 58 are usually solid. I usually even get 28 and 50 with its 5 subchannels!

I live in Hermitage too, but down in the "valley". I have a CM 4 bow-tie UHF antenna on a short pole stuck in the backyard with a home-made channel 10 (4-1) dipole strapped to the pole below it. I do use a CM7777 amp to combine the two signals and because I have a long (100') run of RG-6 into the house and the HDTivos.

I can get most of the channels pretty solid, except for channel 8. Sometimes during a weekday I can get 8.1 and now 8.2, but almost never at night. 5.1 and even 4.1 and 17.1 can drop out during the "right" conditions - but this is very rare.

The good news for Hermitage is all the stations you want are in the same general direction - antennaweb shows a 73 degree arc from my house. I chose the 4 bow CM since the 8 bow was a lot larger and more directional. The problem is that 2/8 are at one end of the arc, and 5/17/30/58 are at the other.

I am thinking of moving the antenna to the roof or maybe just adding a 2nd pole to the current one to move it up just a bit. Having the simple dipole for 4.1 lets me aim that for best signal, while the CM is aimed about mid-way in the arc.

When I first put it up, I could get 8.1 most of the time but I swear they have reduced output or something since then.

The Winegard Sensar seems like a "gimmick" antenna to me and is likely a lot more directional than the CM bow tie I have, but I really don't know much about it. Randolph and Rice sell (or sold) the CM 3021/4225 4 bow for $22-25 and they normally stock it. The CM4228 has more gain but has a lot narrower beam - it runs about $50. Do you have a rotor on your Sensar? If not, where you point it?

Since I have HDTivos I need to be able to pick all the stations all the time. If you are only watching live, then a YAGI and rotor may work a lot better for you.
The U-75r for $25 from Radio Shack seems to work pretty good from what I have read.

Dennis
post #819 of 3571 Old 01-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabb73 View Post

Is this MPEG4 transition I'm hearing about going to require new OTA tuners, or is that a satellite system-specific issue?

MPEG4 lets them jam more channels in less space, so the idea is that DirecTV will carry the locals in HD on the sats - like they do not for the SD locals.

So the next gen HD boxes may not have any OTA tuner at all, you would pick everything up from the sats.

BTW, the next gen HDTivo was shown at CES and has both OTA and QAM HD tuners in it. One of those plus limited basic ($11-12 a month in Davidson county) would get the locals and be able to record them. "Who knows" what the street price will be when it comes out.

Dennis
post #820 of 3571 Old 01-24-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I thought I had read that Comcast wouldnt allow customer owned boxes to connect to digital cable? Has that changed, or perhaps was never true?

So I could get limited basic with either a standalone tuner or dvr box and not rent it?
post #821 of 3571 Old 01-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

I thought I had read that Comcast wouldnt allow customer owned boxes to connect to digital cable? Has that changed, or perhaps was never true?

So I could get limited basic with either a standalone tuner or dvr box and not rent it?

Check over in the Nashville Comcast thread - they have the locals in HD in clear QAM right now. They are NOT trapped out with the analog trap for the limited basic package ($11.50? a month). You get some other digital channels in clear QAM as well.

You can now rent a cable card from them for $5 a month, if your set has a QAM tuner and the slot. The the cable card and basic (not limited) service you should get several more HD channels like ESPN, Discovery HD, TNT HD, etc. They also rent the HD box for $5 a month, and this TOO can be combined with limited basic. So for $16.50 or so plus taxes you could have the locals in HD w/o putting up an antenna at all.

Of course, Comcast could scramble any of the clear QAM channels at any time - but the feeling is the locals are part of limited basic "must carry" no matter if they are in HD or SD, so those SHOULD always be in the clear.

Dennis
post #822 of 3571 Old 01-24-2006, 05:40 PM

The NPT engineer said that NPT has not reduced the transmitting power.
post #823 of 3571 Old 01-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by durl View Post

I didn't see any other mentions of this, but is anyone else surprised to see WNPT (8) broadcasting HD on 8.1? I noticed it last night.

American Experience (airs on Monday nights) is one of the programs that they get in HD 16:9 format and broadcast in 16:9 SD digitally. I could barely get it Monday night on my OTA antenna, but it was in 16:9 mode. I was surprised when I checked the QAM tuner it was in 16:9 SD on Comcast as well! The program had tons of freezes and pixellization in it - so either the sat d/l was hosed or the feed from 8 to Comcast was - but it was there.

Dennis
post #824 of 3571 Old 01-25-2006, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabb73 View Post

Hi, all. I'm located in the 12 South area of Nashville (37204, inside the I-440 loop). After investing far too much time in my setup, OTA HDTV is more or less working at my house. Here's the equipment:
1) Terk TV32 UHF antenna in the attic, wired through the house cable system. It's pointing due north toward the cluster of antennas north of town.
2) Samsung SIR-T351 ATSC tuner
3) Sony 30" widescreen HD Monitor.

At the moment, I can get 2, 4, 17, 30, and 58 clearly, but channels 5(CBS) and 8(PBS) are rarely strong enough (or unipath enough) to produce a signal. I'm surprised at the clarity of 2 and 4 since the antenna isn't pointed in the right direction for them, but then it's not a strongly directional antenna.

I tried a SmarTenna so that I could pull signal in all directions, but the gain was insufficient (without a preamp).

Does anyone have suggestions for improving 5 and 8? I'm so close to the transmitters that it should be trivial to draw those signals.

Living that close (5 miles?) to the channel 8 tower, you would think a rusted coat hanger jammed into the back of the tuner would work. Try both directional and non-directional antenna and walk it around the property with 100 ft extension cord, tuner and portable TV. A roof top antenna with amp and rotor might be appropriate....or not. It's really difficult to say as digital is flakey and location specific in Nashville.
post #825 of 3571 Old 01-25-2006, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwynne View Post

The Winegard Sensar seems like a "gimmick" antenna to me and is likely a lot more directional than the CM bow tie I have, but I really don't know much about it. Randolph and Rice sell (or sold) the CM 3021/4225 4 bow for $22-25 and they normally stock it. The CM4228 has more gain but has a lot narrower beam - it runs about $50. Do you have a rotor on your Sensar? If not, where you point it?

Dennis

I just had an old Sensar lying around and tried it. It always worked well for analog, and it works pretty well for digital. I have it lying on my roof, without a rotor! It's pointed roughly NNW; pointing it directly at the towers makes multipath worse. It's not that directional, actually. It seems to have a "figure-8" pattern, if anything.
post #826 of 3571 Old 01-26-2006, 05:57 AM

Hello all,I am new to this forum.I am searching for some help with an OTA issue.I am located approx. 60 miles southeast of Nashville,in the Woodbury area.I am a DISH Network sub.I have 2 HD receivers,811 and 921.I have an off-air antenna connected to the 921 currently.I receive channels 2,4,17 and 58 digital with a strong and constant signal.I can't figure out why I'm not receiving channels 5 and 8 digital signals. The 921 picks up the analog signal for all Nashville channels,but,for some reason,will not lock onto channels 5 and 8 digital signals.Any help,comments,suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.
post #827 of 3571 Old 01-26-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve615 View Post

Hello all,I am new to this forum.I am searching for some help with an OTA issue.I am located approx. 60 miles southeast of Nashville,in the Woodbury area.I am a DISH Network sub.I have 2 HD receivers,811 and 921.I have an off-air antenna connected to the 921 currently.I receive channels 2,4,17 and 58 digital with a strong and constant signal.I can't figure out why I'm not receiving channels 5 and 8 digital signals. The 921 picks up the analog signal for all Nashville channels,but,for some reason,will not lock onto channels 5 and 8 digital signals.Any help,comments,suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

I can help you. I live 60 to 65 miles north east of the towers in Nashville. You will not get channel 8 HD because they are on too low power for you and me. You can forget about it until they increase power. As far as channel 5 HD goes it is a problem but can be received most of the time. You will have to have a perfect antenna setup to get it. No moisture can be in the BALUN of your antenna or you will not get it. You may think you don't have any moisture in it but you probably do. You will likely have to replace the BALUN with a new one and seal it to get a signal on Channel 5 that will last. Channel 5 is on a very high UHF frequency and gives more problems for us than the other Nashville stations. Rain an Fog both cause a problem for 5 even if everything else is right.

All this assumes you have an antenna big enough to pull in Channel 5. I use an 8 bay Winegard. A YAGI would be better for channel 5 if that was all you needed, but not for 2 and 17. Channel 4 is VHF of course.

Hope this helps!

Steve
post #828 of 3571 Old 01-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPC View Post

I just had an old Sensar lying around and tried it. It always worked well for analog, and it works pretty well for digital. I have it lying on my roof, without a rotor! It's pointed roughly NNW; pointing it directly at the towers makes multipath worse. It's not that directional, actually. It seems to have a "figure-8" pattern, if anything.

You might call down to R&R and see if they still stock the 4 bow-tie CM antenna. It works pretty well for me down near the ground - except for 4 and 8 - 4 being VHF and 8 being weak. Pretty cheap but you need to pole mount it.

I posted here before, but the single bow-tie $4(?) Radio Shack UHF back of set antenna is almost the perfect dimensions for channel 10 when you cut it and bend it straight. I have one strapped to my pole as proof of concept

Dennis
post #829 of 3571 Old 01-26-2006, 06:08 PM

Has digital channel 17 gone off the air tonight? I get a blank screen.

Steve
post #830 of 3571 Old 01-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52 View Post

Has digital channel 17 gone off the air tonight? I get a blank screen.

Appears to be gone. I can't get it OTA and it is missing from QAM channel 93-6 on Comcast.

Dennis
post #831 of 3571 Old 01-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Appears to be gone. I can't get it OTA and it is missing from QAM channel 93-6 on Comcast.

It was still off this morning, but I checked a few minutes ago and it was back on the air.

Dennis
post #832 of 3571 Old 01-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Does 17/15 run full power? They were pretty solid at my location in Bellevue for a while but now they're iffy at best.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #833 of 3571 Old 01-27-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post

Does 17/15 run full power? They were pretty solid at my location in Bellevue for a while but now they're iffy at best.

Channel 17 digital is at full power. They have been since late last summer I think.

Steve
post #834 of 3571 Old 01-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I posted here before, but the single bow-tie $4(?) Radio Shack UHF back of set antenna is almost the perfect dimensions for channel 10 when you cut it and bend it straight. I have one strapped to my pole as proof of concept

I've got a 4228 that picks up 10 perfectly and it is supposedly a UHF only antenna.

post #835 of 3571 Old 01-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52 View Post

Channel 17 digital is at full power. They have been since late last summer I think.

I thought so too, but if you look at this link (from an older post by leewcraft) it looks like they still have a Special Temporary Authority for a lower power - if I read this correctly.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WZTV

I normally have no trouble with them, and I did when I first put up my antenna. I get them upstairs on a silver sensor, so I think contrary to the way I read the FCC page they are full power.

Dennis
post #836 of 3571 Old 01-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post

I've got a 4228 that picks up 10 perfectly and it is supposedly a UHF only antenna.

I was just reading about that in a 4228 review - that solid back screen makes a good high-VHF antenna they said

Dennis
post #837 of 3571 Old 01-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

That STA shows 15's power at 24 kw...and a look at the polar plot of their antenna shows exactly why Bellevue gets no signal...there's almost a null to the SW.

post #838 of 3571 Old 01-27-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I thought so too, but if you look at this link (from an older post by leewcraft) it looks like they still have a Special Temporary Authority for a lower power - if I read this correctly.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WZTV

I normally have no trouble with them, and I did when I first put up my antenna. I get them upstairs on a silver sensor, so I think contrary to the way I read the FCC page they are full power.

Dennis

I don't know what that is all about. They have been at full power for some time now.

Steve
post #839 of 3571 Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 PM

"WZTV experienced a failure in our DTV transmitter yesterday around 4:30pm and we are doing our best to restore it to the air asap.
Thanks for writing,
Gibson"

I got this e-mail today from channel 17.

Steve
post #840 of 3571 Old 01-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

The STA simply says they requested and got permission to use less than full power. It doesn't necessarily mean they are lower power...but they have permission to be.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page