Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1081 of 3575 Old 06-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can also sign up for a free account over at TitanTV.com . On the digital OTA they show you the schedule - and the sub-channels. I think they have most of them.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3575 Old 06-28-2006, 06:38 AM

I live in Spring Hill so no transmitter is more than 33 miles from me. With a pre-amp and an old, bent up, large VHF/UHF Yagi laying on the second-story floor, I get digital channels 27 (ABC analog 2) and 10 (NBC analog 4). Both are rock solid. My tuners see all of the other digital stations but rarely lock on for long. I am going to purchase a new UHF antenna to attic mount. One criterion is for it to be able to grab digital channel 10, obviously, a VHF channel. I read somewhere a time ago that one of the ChannelMaster UHF-only models, either the 4228 or the 4248, did a respectable job receiving VHF channels but I forgot which one it was. Does anyone have any experience, knowledge, or an educated guess as to which ChannelMaster model might deliver good UHF performance AND receive VHF channel 10? Actually, I would appreciate the model of any manufacturer's UHF antenna that receives VHF channel 10 OK. Thanks in advance for the response.
post #1083 of 3575 Old 06-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

I would say the 4228 8 bay bow tie antenna would do better on 10 than the Yagi would. Might do better on UHF as well.

I have the smaller 3021/4225 4 bay and works poorly on 10, so I put up a home made channel 10 dipole that works better. I finally spent the money and got a VHF/10 antenna, a Jerrold/Delhi 5Y10S 5 ELEMENT YAGI ANTENNA for Channel 10. It was about $50 delivered from Stark: http://www.starkelectronic.com/delhi.htm . With that antenna, even low on the mast, it is solid - but I live a lot closer than you do

I would get a "mast mounted" pre-amp as well, something like the Titan 2 model 7777. I takes 2x 75 ohm in and out and can be switched for a single (UHF+VHF) feed or for 1 VHF and 1 UHF. So you could use it with a UHF antenna and if you could not lock in 4/10 then add a VHF antenna and flip the switch.

Dennis
post #1084 of 3575 Old 06-28-2006, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

About this time last year I bought a tripod from radio shack and a CM7777 with a DB8 UHF antenna. Stuck it all in the attic and have been fairly pleased. Fox is a little flakey at times, but sporting events on Fox always stay solid. No issues at all with Channel 4.

I'm in Wingate up near the port royal/duplex intersection.
post #1085 of 3575 Old 07-03-2006, 01:54 PM

I live in west ky about 20 miles sw of Paducah. When the atmosphere helps I've seen all the digital channels in Nashville except wuxp digital 21. Are they low power? I've even seen shop nbc digital 44 a little and ctn 38.How can those be stronger than wuxp?
post #1086 of 3575 Old 07-03-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. johnson View Post

I live in west ky about 20 miles sw of Paducah. When the atmosphere helps I've seen all the digital channels in Nashville except wuxp digital 21. Are they low power? I've even seen shop nbc digital 44 a little and ctn 38.How can those be stronger than wuxp?

The KET analog transmitter in Murray is also on channel 21. I'm sure the interference is killing you -- and for the same reason, WUXP is highly directional. It's 1000kw averaged in all directions but far, far less in your direction.

I suppose that's faint consolation given your local UPN station is a LPTV that won't have a digital signal until well after UPN ceases to exist

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
http://www.w9wi.com
post #1087 of 3575 Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. johnson View Post

I would really like to know your antenna setup. I am very curious as to how you get all these channels. I wonder, do you get other channels from other places like this?

NashDigie signing off.

NashDigie signing off.

Nashville Digital TV News & More

post #1088 of 3575 Old 07-09-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Did anyone catch the WNPT article in today's Sunday paper (business section front page). They quote Beth Curley, the CEO of WNPT saying that although they have started their secondary digital channel focused on the intellectual and cultural activities in Nashville, the primary WNPT digital channel will go high definition on September 9th with the coverage of the Nashville Symphony's first night in the Schemmerhorn Center.

Considering a couple of years ago we didn't think we'd ever see WNPT as an HD channel at all, this is good news that we can finally see PBS's HD programming, which will likely increase in the coming years.

Rick
post #1089 of 3575 Old 07-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

the primary WNPT digital channel will go high definition on September 9th

I will believe it if/when I see it. They said they would be in HD by "some date" and it always sails by w/o HD. I was told they would not crank up the power on their current channel, so until the channels get reassigned they are strictly low power.

The good news is that a lot of the PBS content is in HD and if they show it live we get 16:9 SD now and if they DO go HD all of that will be just fine.

The broadcast networks need to step up too - many times I tuned in live sports and found them in SD.

I am a long time WNPT supporter, so I feel I can complain about them

Dennis
post #1090 of 3575 Old 07-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

For those that do not get the Sunday paper, the interview with Curley is posted here.

We have a conversion of our analog signal on our digital channel right now. We will go to high-def on our digital channel on Sept. 9 and our first program that we will broadcast in high-def will be the gala concert at the symphony. That's a big night for us.

Dennis
post #1091 of 3575 Old 07-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wonder where they will get the high def cameras and support equipment. Maybe they are renting one of CBS's trucks.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #1092 of 3575 Old 07-17-2006, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else lost the 5.1 channel designation?

My set has deleted 5.1 from its list of available digital stations but 56.3 and 56.4 do show up. Of course, neither will lock, but they are there.

Wonder why remapping doesn't seem to be working.

post #1093 of 3575 Old 07-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

I just checked and 5-1 is coming in fine on my HD-Tivo.

Dennis
post #1094 of 3575 Old 07-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Dennis. The neighbor's hemlock must be doing an especially good job of swallowing WTVF's digital signal. The always odd thing is that the other digital stations broadcasting from towers within a quarter mile of WTVF all come in fine.

Color me completely confused.

post #1095 of 3575 Old 07-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

One of my receivers is showing 17-4, 17-5, and 17-6 but there's nothing on the channels. Anyone have info on them?
post #1096 of 3575 Old 07-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durl View Post

One of my receivers is showing 17-4, 17-5, and 17-6 but there's nothing on the channels. Anyone have info on them?

That is strange about 17 on your receiver. I am curious as to what receiver this is appearing on. Anyways, I have just noticed this week that at times that WNAB-DT's 58-2 signal will pop up with a picture now and then. I thought they gotten rid of the SD channel but oddly enough I think it is still there. I am posting this to see if anyone else is getting the channel. I have two STBs - Sylvania SRZ3000 ATSC tuner & Samsung SIR-T151. This is happening on the Sylvania tuner. Please let know if anyone is experiencing the same thing.

NashDigie signing off.

NashDigie signing off.

post #1097 of 3575 Old 07-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone in the Hendersonville area?

A friend at work just got his HD-Tivo set up and we are trying to pick an antenna for the locals OTA. He is off of Center Point Rd and lives on a rise in a 2 story house. Antennaweb shows all signals are within a 34 degree arc with distances between 8 and 22 miles.

I let him borrow a Silver Sensor and he was able to get all the UHF based stations (that he cared about) but 4.1 (VHF 10) had lots of freezes.

He wants to put the antenna in his attic, which would put it even higher than his tests with the SS antenna in his 2nd floor room on top of his TV.

I was thinking either the CM 4221 (3021) or maybe the CM 4228 bow tie antennas would work nice for him. They (hopefully) have enough metal to get 4.1 (10) without needed a 2nd VHF antenna. The 4228 maybe be overkill for the full power UHF stations, but would help on 8.1 and the extra size might help on 4.1 as well.

What do you think? What are folks up that way using?

I would let him borrow my 4221, but I am not taking it down off the pole for a test

I do have a Radio Shack U-75R that I am not using that I can let him try, but I found (at my house) the 4221 worked better and I am not sure if the U-75R would be much good on VHF 10.

Thanks,
Dennis
post #1098 of 3575 Old 07-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashDigie View Post

That is strange about 17 on your receiver. I am curious as to what receiver this is appearing on. Anyways, I have just noticed this week that at times that WNAB-DT's 58-2 signal will pop up with a picture now and then. I thought they gotten rid of the SD channel but oddly enough I think it is still there. I am posting this to see if anyone else is getting the channel. I have two STBs - Sylvania SRZ3000 ATSC tuner & Samsung SIR-T151. This is happening on the Sylvania tuner. Please let know if anyone is experiencing the same thing.

NashDigie signing off.

The receiver in question is a Sony HD-200. The channels do NOT show up when I rescan my HR10-250. I thought I'd rescan on the HD-200 and see if they disappear.
post #1099 of 3575 Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwynne View Post

Anyone in the Hendersonville area?

A friend at work just got his HD-Tivo set up and we are trying to pick an antenna for the locals OTA. He is off of Center Point Rd and lives on a rise in a 2 story house. Antennaweb shows all signals are within a 34 degree arc with distances between 8 and 22 miles.

I let him borrow a Silver Sensor and he was able to get all the UHF based stations (that he cared about) but 4.1 (VHF 10) had lots of freezes.

Thanks,
Dennis

I live up in that area and used to live on Center Point Road (in a 2-story house) up until last year.

I use a Silver Sensor (Zenith ZHDTV1 - cheap on Amazon now) in my media room and it works great. I also used it when I lived on Center Point and it did the job just fine. Channel 4-1 didn't come in as strong as others, but it was freeze-free 95% of the time. (Isn't their signal difficult for others to pick up as well?)Reception of the other major networks was very good. I can't recall if the TBN subs or the "i" (formerly Pax) subs were active when I lived there.

Honestly, I haven't researched those other antennas and I don't know their capabilities, but that's one area I've not had to dig into since the Zenith has worked very well for me.
post #1100 of 3575 Old 07-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply.

He was blown away by the Silver Sensor I let him borrow - except for 4.1 (10 VHF) - such a small antenna does a nice job.

His wife wants no antenna on top of the set, so he is going to the attic. Since 4.1 freezes a good bit with the SS we are going to try the RS U-75R and see what happens. He can test it with a short coax near the set and if he gets better results he can head for the attic. If the U-75R does not bring in 4.1 better, then I think (unless someone else has a better idea) I will recommend he try the 4 bay CM like I have. I don't know I see the need for the 8 bay - he gets 90+ on all the channels he cares about - except for 4.1 - with the Silver Sensor.

Dennis
post #1101 of 3575 Old 07-27-2006, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwynne View Post

Thanks for the reply.

He was blown away by the Silver Sensor I let him borrow - except for 4.1 (10 VHF) - such a small antenna does a nice job.

His wife wants no antenna on top of the set, so he is going to the attic. Since 4.1 freezes a good bit with the SS we are going to try the RS U-75R and see what happens. He can test it with a short coax near the set and if he gets better results he can head for the attic. If the U-75R does not bring in 4.1 better, then I think (unless someone else has a better idea) I will recommend he try the 4 bay CM like I have. I don't know I see the need for the 8 bay - he gets 90+ on all the channels he cares about - except for 4.1 - with the Silver Sensor.

Dennis

What kind of display does he have and does he have a center-channel speak on top of it?

On one of my CRT-RPTVs, I painted a small piece of plywood black (to match the tv and center-channel speaker). Put it beneath the speaker, so it holds it down. Then, I put the SS behind the speaker on the rest of the plywood.

Works like a champ and you can't see it.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #1102 of 3575 Old 07-28-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashDigie View Post

I have contacted an engineer at WNAB, and he says that they had terminated 58-2. Well, I have proof of 58-2. Below is a picture I took of it last night. I e-mailed it to him, and I am waiting for a response back from him. I will post his response when I get it. About the channel, I only get pictures popping up from time to time (sometimes with movement and sound). That's all I have for right now.

NashDigie signing off.

Click here for a picture of WB 58-2.

NashDigie signing off.

post #1103 of 3575 Old 07-31-2006, 01:59 PM

Below is the response I got from the engineer at WNAB.

Found out what the issue was, we believe. We had a power surge here
during all the storms we had a while back. Some of our other equipment
had needed to be reset and it appears that our MUX had rebooted with an
old map instead of the current config that had the SD removed. The SD
device was still attached though to had been disabled and it appears it
was allowing the SD channel to pop up. It has been reset.

Dennis Breckey
Chief Engineer
WNAB-TV

NashDigie signing off.

NashDigie signing off.

post #1104 of 3575 Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Home is near the intersection of Stewart Campbell and New Port Royal. According to antennaweb.org, it is between 35-40 miles from most of the Nashville transmitters. Just hooked up a Channelmaster 4228 mounted in my attic using a Direc_TV H10 receiver. Below are the signal strength results (%) taken both with and without a Radio Shack 15-1113C signal amplifier. The results are interesting.

Channel(analog) - With Sig Amp - Without Sig Amp
2 - 100 - 100
4 - 86 - 90
5 - 69 - 79
8 - 69 - 79
17 - 63 - 66
22 - 0 - 0
28 - 90 - 93
30 - 73 - 77
39 - 20 (no lock) - 20 (no lock)
50 - 63 - 69
58 - 69 - 79
66 - 0 - 0

Very perplexing that the signal strength numbers were worse with the sig amp. I repeated the test to ensure that I had accurate numbers. Same results. Actually, the antenna that the 4228 replaced (an old, beaten-up long-range UHF/VHF yagi) did benefit from the amp. I recently moved to Spring Hill from another city where I could not lock on to any stations without the sig amp. Obviously, I am going to pull the sig amp out of the system.

Regarding performance, only 22, 39, and 66 won't lock. I don't really think that matters much, though. I was really surprised that 4 (VHF channel 10) was so strong on a UHF-only antenna. I read many very good reviews of the CM4228 and I guess you can add this one as another one. I have tested seven or eight other antennas of various types, including set-top models but none performed close to the 4228. I am sure there are other fine antennas on the market but for such a small price tag, I find it hard to believe that there is a better value available.
post #1105 of 3575 Old 08-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

I think the design of the bowtie UHF antennas leads to decent performance on VHF - a lot of metal VS a Yagi.

I am surprised any configuration would benefit from the Rat Shack amp, those things are usually garbage

Try something like a Titan 2 amp and you should see a better with amp signal. Like the 7777 from Warren or Solid Signal or other place.

BTW, what angle are you trying to cover? I assume from Channel 2/8 at one end of the arc to 5/17/30 at the other? The 4 bay CM antenna has less gain (and would likely work worse on 4 (vhf 10) but has a wider "beam" ....

Dennis
post #1106 of 3575 Old 08-01-2006, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I found a big RS antenna cheap on closeout and threw out my cheapo amp. The signal strength was better without it!
post #1107 of 3575 Old 08-02-2006, 06:14 AM

I have the antenna pointed at 10 degrees. Antennaweb.org shows all locals, less channel 58 (which I never watch), within a 7 degree arc starting at 6 and stopping at 13. The fact that all of the transmitter locations are in such a concentrated direction saves me from needing a rotor. Luckily, I don't need an amp to receive Nashville locals. If I did, I would use Warren. I usually do.
post #1108 of 3575 Old 08-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like my friend in H'ville - he ended up buying my Silver Sensor from me - everything is in a small arc for him. The SS even gets a signal on 4 (10VHF) for him when properly aimed.

I have a spare RS U-75 Yagi if anyone wants it free of charge, you just have to come get it - and use it

Dennis
post #1109 of 3575 Old 08-03-2006, 08:30 AM

[quote=ChrisPC]I found a big RS antenna cheap on closeout and threw out my cheapo amp. The signal strength was better without it![/QUOTE

hey chrispc, could you tell me what antenna you got on close out from radio shack? I am going to get a big one this weekend and called my local shack and they were still regular price. What store did you go to? thanks for the help.
post #1110 of 3575 Old 08-10-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDesforges View Post

Home is near the intersection of Stewart Campbell and New Port Royal.

Channel(analog) - With Sig Amp - Without Sig Amp
2 - 100 - 100
4 - 86 - 90
5 - 69 - 79
8 - 69 - 79
17 - 63 - 66
22 - 0 - 0
28 - 90 - 93
30 - 73 - 77
39 - 20 (no lock) - 20 (no lock)
50 - 63 - 69
58 - 69 - 79
66 - 0 - 0

Your signal strength is almost dead-on with my numbers. I'm using Media Center PC so It doesn't give number values, only bars.. but when I was using the ATi HDTV solftware, my numbers were about the same.

Corner of Port Royal and Inverness.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page