post #181 of 3627 Old 10-08-2004, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon J
The situation is getting even spookier, but I may have found some answers.

Today, the digital signals for 17, 30 and 58 are booming in...eureka! Still a tiny, unlockable signal from WTVF.

Yesterday, a neighbor took down a big tree that was in the way and this has evidently helped tremendously. But, still nothing on 56 and this confuses me and the assistant chief engineer at WTVF who is an old friend and just spent a few minutes offering ideas, but really nothing seems to make sense. He confirmed they are at 400kw and will probably be there for a while.

BTW, the Fox digital signals on 17-1 and 17-2 are gorgeous.

Interesting...it would appear that Sinclair has been doing some work in upping the signal of all of their channels in this market. If they are going to be serious about this "myfreehdtv.org" stuff, then they should at least be broadcasting at full power. If this keeps up, than this is a good thing. But at my place, not only do I have hills in the way but lots of greenery. I may not be in any better position than before.

All I can recommend to you is to try the Channelmaster amp we discussed earlier and see what that does. The only downside might be that the other channels you get now might get overboosted.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3627 Old 10-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The Fox football games in HD and 5.1 DD sound are really nice this afternoon.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #183 of 3627 Old 10-10-2004, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems these Fox NFL broadcasts are really bandwidth starved with the artifacting and "dancing" turf.
post #184 of 3627 Old 10-10-2004, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in southern edge of Williamson Co.. just on the Maury Co line and the best I can get on WZTV is 66%. It's fine now and isn't dropping a single frame, however I wish they would increase the signal. I get 91% on Channels 2 (ABC) and 4 (NBC) and 77% on CBS (5).

I just installed the Radio Shack 15-2185 on a tripod in my attic and I'm very pleased so far. The roof would probably make the difference, but the wifey poo says NFW to that.
post #185 of 3627 Old 10-10-2004, 07:11 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by dogmanky
...I just installed the Radio Shack 15-2185 on a tripod in my attic and I'm very pleased so far. The roof would probably make the difference, but the wifey poo says NFW to that.

The 15-2185 is a fairly low gain antenna, compared to (say) the RS 15-2160, Channel Master 4221, 4228 or AntennasDirect DB4 or DB8. Any of those would probably fit in your attic and give you a lot better signal. They'd still be out of sight However you might need to use a preamp, depending on the length of cable run.
post #186 of 3627 Old 10-10-2004, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Fox football games in HD and 5.1 DD sound are really nice this afternoon.

The Sinclair stations still booming in?

Rick
post #187 of 3627 Old 10-11-2004, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Yup. Every one of them. Not a peep from WTVF-DT.

post #188 of 3627 Old 10-11-2004, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dogmanky
The roof would probably make the difference, but the wifey poo says NFW to that.

But...but....but....but....the FCC says it's okay.

post #189 of 3627 Old 10-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Word on the street, and by "street" I mean the station engineer, is that WZTV is full power (1000kw) now.

-Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #190 of 3627 Old 10-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Exactly what Dexter King told me last week.

But, oddly enough, I get the same quality signal from the other two Sinclair stations that I don't believe are anywhere near that power.

WTVF-DT is running 400kw and not coming in at all for me.

post #191 of 3627 Old 10-11-2004, 11:33 AM

I'm looking for a good OTA solution. I have done some research and bought a ATI HD wonder PCI card for the pc. It is not very good. Picture and sound jumps. It seems to always be trying to catch up to real time. This may be a limitation of my PC AGP card, but I'm starting to think that an D-VHS with OTA tuner is the best way to go. I also have a comcast account with the motorola 6208 but it is not without problems either. This whole HDTV thing has gotten to be a monster that is totally uncontrollable.

What OTA devices are you folks using? Are you recording HDTV?

Thanks in advance,
JAB
post #192 of 3627 Old 10-11-2004, 11:49 AM

I tried to buy a D-VHS once, but realized right after I bought it that you have to buy a separate OTA tuner to be able to receive the HD signal. I'm using a Samsung SIR-T150 for OTA (Fox only) and the Comcast box for everything else, including recording. I've been pretty happy with Comcast ever since I got my signal strength issues worked out. It takes high quality cable and splitters for Comcast HD.
post #193 of 3627 Old 10-12-2004, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WTVF-DT is running 400kw and not coming in at all for me.

I have been getting 74% - 80% on WTVF-DT until last night. Last night it was 66% - 70%. Is the signal affected this much by weather? Anyone else notice a drop in signal last night on CH5? ABC was Beeming for me at 94%. Go Titans!!
post #194 of 3627 Old 10-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Channel 56 is up about 770 mHz and is indeed affected by weather. Even overcast can decrease the signal.

post #195 of 3627 Old 10-12-2004, 09:07 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by JAB99
....What OTA devices are you folks using? Are you recording HDTV?....

I use a HR10-250 DirecTivo, which is a combination satellite receiver, OTA receiver and hard disk HD video recorder. I upgraded it using www.weaknees.com to 70 hr HD capacity or about 500 hr SD capacity. Antenna is an attic mounted Channel Master 4221 4-bay bow tie.

The HR10-250 works perfectly. I had Comcast HD cable for about six months prior. Without the ability to record, HD isn't very practical to me. Comcast now has a limited HD recorder, but after having the Tivo functionality, I'll never go back.

However there's no current easy way to archive from a DVR at HD quality to external media such as DVHS. Fortunately my main priority is time shifting HD broadcasts for later viewing, not archival storage.
post #196 of 3627 Old 10-14-2004, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I may be moving to Nashville next month and was wondering where the towers are in relation to the Downtown area. I do not know where I will be living because I need to make sure I can get the OTA HD by antenna.

If anyone had a map of some kind it would help.

Thanks,

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #197 of 3627 Old 10-14-2004, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Towers are north, south and west of town. Try going to www.antennaweb.org to find vectors from various addresses you might be considering.

post #198 of 3627 Old 10-14-2004, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the first thread concerning what stations are Digital current for Nashville?

It does not have UPN or WB listed.

post #199 of 3627 Old 10-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

All stations now broadcast a digital signal. Not all are at full power, though. Neither UPN or WB are full power according to my information.

post #200 of 3627 Old 10-14-2004, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All stations now broadcast a digital signal. Not all are at full power, though. Neither UPN or WB are full power according to my information.

I thought you said you could get UPN and WB in addition to FOX? Are they not "booming" too?

Rick
post #201 of 3627 Old 10-14-2004, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rgathright
I may be moving to Nashville next month and was wondering where the towers are in relation to the Downtown area. I do not know where I will be living because I need to make sure I can get the OTA HD by antenna.

If anyone had a map of some kind it would help.

Thanks,

Most of the people in this thread seem to have had decent luck picking up the various broadcast towers in this town except for those of us in Bellevue (west Nashville) where we have a large number of Nashville's hills between us and the towers in the north (CBS, FOX, UPN, WB). I even have issues with the NBC tower out here in west Nashville but I haven't tried a real high gain antenna on the house yet.

Rick
post #202 of 3627 Old 10-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Yes. They are all booming. I'm getting the same signal strength from all the Sinclair stations, but I don't think they are all at the same power.

Again...spooky.

post #203 of 3627 Old 10-15-2004, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sevenfeet
Most of the people in this thread seem to have had decent luck picking up the various broadcast towers in this town except for those of us in Bellevue (west Nashville) where we have a large number of Nashville's hills between us and the towers in the north (CBS, FOX, UPN, WB). I even have issues with the NBC tower out here in west Nashville but I haven't tried a real high gain antenna on the house yet.

I do not know where I will be living at yet, but it sounds like North and East of downtown has less problems with reception.

Are there any local HD forums concerning the Nashville area?

I will be going to a construction job up there and do not know exactly where it is yet. This is why I do not know where I will be living.

Thanks

post #204 of 3627 Old 10-15-2004, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JAB99
What OTA devices are you folks using? Are you recording HDTV?

Thanks in advance,
JAB

I second the vote for an HDTivo. Dual tuners and about 30 hours of HD recording out of the box, add a 2nd drive and you get about 63 hours of HD (with 2 x 250gb drives, more if you get 300gb drives).

If you are a current subscriber you should be able to get an account credit for getting the HDTivo - do don't let the high price fool you. I was able to get a $200 one time credit plus $10 a month credit for 6 months plus free Showtime for 6 months just for asking for it Actually, if you call the D* customer retention department and tell them Comcast will rent you an HD box for $5 a month or $10 for HD + DVR or Voom will install a new system for nothing up front and little each month. You really want to stay with D* but the high cost of the HD Tivo has you thinking you might switch. Others have gotten as much as $250 credit to help offset the cost of the HD Tivo, so YMMV.

If you are a new customer, I would assume you could get an even better deal.

I got my HDTivo "mail order" at a slight discount and didn't have to tithe to the state. I would assume now they are more readily available and with more off the price. I got a 4 pack of triple LNB dishes off of fleabay for $115 delivered and sold 2 of them, put up 1, and have a spare.

I you are a new customer then the dish and install would be free.

I put up a 4 bay CM antenna (cheap from Randolph and Rice) on a 10' RadioShlock pole and made a "Channel 4" DTV dipole antenna out of a RS UHF bowtie. I added a CM7777 amp as well since I have about 100' of coax to the HDTivo.

It would be NICE to be able to archive off shows to DVD, but I don't have anything set up for that yet. I do have a stand-alone DVD recorder that I gave my wife that is connected to "her" D* Tivo so she can save shows. Only PCM stereo audio, but in 2 hour mode looks as good as normal D* does.

Dennis
post #205 of 3627 Old 10-15-2004, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally posted by rgathright
I do not know where I will be living at yet, but it sounds like North and East of downtown has less problems with reception.

Thanks

I live in the southeast part of Nashville (Percy Priest Lake / Antioch), and I get great reception with an indoor antenna.
post #206 of 3627 Old 10-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Much of Nashville lies in a bowl formed by a circle of hills and reception can be great or problematic almost anywhere. Many of us to the south and west can be faced with negotiating both sides of the bowl to receive a signal while some who you would think would be out of luck receive spectacular signals. There's often no rhyme or reason to if/how/how well you can receive digital signals.

post #207 of 3627 Old 10-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

I coming this weekend to Nashville from St. Louis. If I understand right from quickly scanning this thread the Fox affiliate in Nashville does HD.

I'm wanting to watch the Cards/'Strohs NLCS games this weekend while in Nashville. Are there any good sports bars that have HDTV and would be a good place to watch the games?
post #208 of 3627 Old 10-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Yes. The local Fox affiliate does "Fox HD".

Not sure which sports bars may be HD capable. None in my West Nashville area are HD.

Upon further research, the Box Seat on Bandywood in the Green Hills area probably has HD.

post #209 of 3627 Old 10-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dweebe
I coming this weekend to Nashville from St. Louis. If I understand right from quickly scanning this thread the Fox affiliate in Nashville does HD.

I'm wanting to watch the Cards/'Strohs NLCS games this weekend while in Nashville. Are there any good sports bars that have HDTV and would be a good place to watch the games?

The local station passes it along on the NFL games - if the one they show is one of the ones Fox is doing that week in HD. i don't watch baseball, but I ASSUME they pass that along in HD if Fox does it in HD.

I would be surprised if anyone reading this thread went to ANY sports bars We all have HD setup at home with cable boxes, antennas, dishes and stuff to KEEP from having to go to a sports bar to watch what we want.

I did a Google and turned up this place which claims to have HDTV. Another link said Virago 1811 Division St. 615-320-5149 had a "100 inch HDTV". Also
this place . There is a list (from a Dolphin's web page) of sport's bars here . I guess you could call some of the better sounding ones and ask. You should be able to google up more on your own. I would also bet that the bars and lounges at the Orpyland Hotel would have HDTV as well. They have several and they are normally into high tech - and I found a item in the google search that the Gaylord Hotel in TX does have HDTV in the bar.

This is not a baseball town, so I would call all of them to see if they will be playing the game or not. UT is on ESPN2 Saturday night so a lot of screens may be locked on that.

Dennis
post #210 of 3627 Old 10-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replys.

It looks like "Two Doors Down" will be where I will be heading.

Fortunately the NLCS is starting 3pm Saturday and Sunday so there shouldn't be a conflict with UT or Titans football.

I'm shutting down and heading out the door. Will report when I get back.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page