Nashville, TN - OTA - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 155Likes

post #2161 of 4068 Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post

My experience is the exact opposite of those reporting problems in WTVF's application for a translator on Channel 50. I could never receive their signal on 56 but have a perfect signal on 5.

Similar story here. WTVF and WNPT were the hardest stations to get, even with my rooftop antenna, now they're the easiest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 4068 Old 07-06-2009, 05:32 PM

Liked: 10
WTVF should never have been allowed to use channel 5 for ATSC in the first place! It is the only station in the Nashville market using low band VHF forcing people to have to purchase a low band VHF antenna just to get that station, and many can't get it anyway due to various problems with low ban VHF.

Steve
post #2163 of 4068 Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

NO channel 5 for me anymore. So no CBS in my theater room.
post #2164 of 4068 Old 07-06-2009, 10:50 PM

Arrghhh I'm getting WKRP with 60+ signal but no sound again. Wonder what is wrong with their setup? I know the analog 6 and 19 actually have local commercials for wilson county/lebanon, but they are not feeding that to the digital. Also, if they would press play on that little coby we could see whats on the dvd. ahhahah

but seriously, i'm missing night gallery. Anyone know a contact for them? The phone number just has a recording.
post #2165 of 4068 Old 07-07-2009, 05:00 PM

I am getting WKRP at 58 here in Bellevue on my DTV Pal. I am experiencing the breakup of Sound as well that you described.
post #2166 of 4068 Old 07-07-2009, 06:28 PM

cool thank you glad to know its not just my box.

Hey- I found out what was on the coby.. they showed a low budget show called tuf talk with 2 chicks talking about Nashville fighting matches.. then back to the dvd screen this afternoon on 6.4
post #2167 of 4068 Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrostation View Post

but seriously, i'm missing night gallery. Anyone know a contact for them? The phone number just has a recording.

Try http://www.wkrptv.com/ also check out what appears to be the driving force behind the station http://www.rlmediasystems.com/ they appear to sell all kinds of transmitters and equipment
post #2168 of 4068 Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 PM

fascinating. Well we can expect a country jukebox. I would prefer retro 80's and UK Top 40 but oh well... Wonder if all the classic shows and movies will come from archive.org?
post #2169 of 4068 Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Will be interesting to track the saga of the DT low-banders. Could they be endangering their network affiliations, or is the OTA universe too small for bad reception to matter anymore?

www.therenegaderoadhouse.co Southern rock, pop and country favorites play here!
post #2170 of 4068 Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WTVF wants to light up a channel 50 translator at 100 kW.

Drop VHF 5 and go with UHF 50? Seems like they will lose as many or more viiewers doing that they did going to VHF 5....

Dennis
post #2171 of 4068 Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwynne View Post

Drop VHF 5 and go with UHF 50?

No. They've applied to run both co-located at the current antenna site.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #2172 of 4068 Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

No. They've applied to run both co-located at the current antenna site.

I still don't really see the logic in that. You'd think you'd want the translator in an area where the reception is hard to get not in the area where it's the easiest.
post #2173 of 4068 Old 07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

I still don't really see the logic in that. You'd think you'd want the translator in an area where the reception is hard to get not in the area where it's the easiest.

In distant rural areas, viewers are more likely to be using VHF-capable outdoor antennas. Thus, reception is easier for them.

Closer in, viewers are more likely to be using indoor antennas, which are too small, exposed to lots of electrical noise, and just generally do not work well for VHF digital. Thus, the UHF signal would be easier to receive.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2174 of 4068 Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Locating translator(s) away from the main transmitting site would be a much more costly and time consuming job. Each site would require engineering and construction. The application claims the co-location could be accomplished in less than a month and would fill in the dead spots they are now experiencing.

They were paying through the nose for the electricity to power the transmitter on 56. A megawatt on 50 probably won't save much.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #2175 of 4068 Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Young Broadcasting, WKRN's owner, is in bankruptcy and will be auctioned sometime around the middle of this month. So, chances are spending money on upgrading equipment is pretty far down the list. WZTV's owner is on more solid financial footing but probably not actively pursuing upgrading either.

I talked to a person at WZTV several weeks ago and I was told that they have HD studio cameras on back order and then they will have to rebuid the set. I have also read that Sinclair Broadcasting, which owns WZTV, is in the process of upgrading their stations to produce local news in HD over the next 3 years.
post #2176 of 4068 Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

In distant rural areas, viewers are more likely to be using VHF-capable outdoor antennas. Thus, reception is easier for them.

A) Not when the FCC made it seem that you only needed a VHF only antenna and that's all a lot of store sold. I knew beter but a lot of people didn't.

B) reception easier? Not for me. I still can't get in Ch 5. Even though supposedly it's by far my strongest station out of Nashville.
post #2177 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 02:13 AM

Are 4 and 5 off the air for some reason overnight? Or maybe just tonight? I'm about 80 miles out and I'm getting 2 crystal clear, 95-100%. Also getting 58 at about 80%. Did a rescan and picked up channels 39-1 and 39-2 and 50-1 through 50-5. Nothing at all on 4 and 5 though despite the fact that I usually get them at this time of day.

Well check that, I rotated the antenna another few degrees and got 4 at about 20%, nothing on 5 though.

Anybody have a quick list of Nashville stations that can be posted here?
post #2178 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuzzled View Post

Are 4 and 5 off the air for some reason overnight? Or maybe just tonight? I'm about 80 miles out and I'm getting 2 crystal clear, 95-100%. Also getting 58 at about 80%. Did a rescan and picked up channels 39-1 and 39-2 and 50-1 through 50-5. Nothing at all on 4 and 5 though despite the fact that I usually get them at this time of day.

Well check that, I rotated the antenna another few degrees and got 4 at about 20%, nothing on 5 though.

Anybody have a quick list of Nashville stations that can be posted here?

Well I'm in west tennessee( camden ) and it seems there's some good atmosphere in my area. All channels are coming in much better than normal. About 50% signal boost for most. I even checked analog and got in 20, 24, 34 and 42 in. No way I should get those 70 miles out. 4 seemed to go out for a little bit but is back. 5 still barely comes in even under these good conditions. I always get in 2 at night in the 80-90% range. It's my best channel. Only one worse than 5 is ION. Right now as I speak on my half wave dipole specificy made for Ch 5 on Ch 4 is coming in at around 70% Ch 8 is coming in at about 55%. Ch 5 barely 25-30%. Even on my DB 4 Ch 4 and 8 are coming in almost as good as the dipole. 2, 17, 30, 50, 58 are coming in at between 50%-90% which is very good for me. Even Ch 39 which is 92 miles away from me is coming in at over 50% right now. Only channels giving me a hard time are ION and Ch 5. I get the CBS station out of Memphis( Ch 3, UHF 28 ) more often than I can get Ch 5 here and that tower is 115 miles away from me.

Ch 5 needs to dump VHF and just go with that UHF 50 they are using for a translator and just boost that up to 1000 kW and be done with it.
post #2179 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 AM

Just went back and checked and I'm getting 8 at about 20% and 17 at 90% or better. But then again, I'm getting WHAS 11 out of Louisville too (weak though).

Still nothing on 5.
post #2180 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I get the CBS station out of Memphis( Ch 3, UHF 28 ) more often than I can get Ch 5 here and that tower is 115 miles away from me.

Ch 5 needs to dump VHF and just go with that UHF 50 they are using for a translator and just boost that up to 1000 kW and be done with it.

According to the FCC site, you're right on the edge of WTVF's coverage area. You're probably getting interference from WMC, also.
post #2181 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPC View Post

According to the FCC site, you're right on the edge of WTVF's coverage area. You're probably getting interference from WMC, also.

According to the FCC website WMC coverage area doesn't extend beyond Jackson which is over 45 miles away. So I'm dubious of their coverage maps. Also if you look at the FCC coverage map Ch 5 extends the furthest in my area. Technically according to the FCC coverage map Ch 2 doesn't even extend to my house. Yet Ch 2 comes in at 80-90% all night long. And I can count on getting it in for 12 to maybe 15 hours per day.

I did actually barely get in WTVF for a little bit this morning. Just long enough to see Rachael Ray interveiw Barbara Walters. But all of Nashville stations were coming in greater than normal. Some lasted until 9:30 this morning which is about 2 hours longer than normal( except for Ch 2 which usually goes out about 8:30 or 9 AM ). WSMV Ch 4 just now flaking out and it's 10 AM( on the dipole, no pre-amp). I was getting Ch 4 and Ch 8 on the DB4 almost as good as the dipole.

As far interference I thought of that but WMC out of Memphis is the only Memphis station I have yet to get in at any time. And like Ch 5 Nashville it's supposed to be the strongest station. So is it interference or does low VHF just suck or both? According to TVfool there is WTVF signal all around my house and no WMC signal. That's using overlay maps. My friend live a few miles to the west and the WMC signal is actually just as strong by the looks of it as the WTVF signal so I'm not sure what he can do.

Wouldn't be an issue if the other channels form Memphis had stronger signals. Getting those in are just once in a blue moon type thing. What does one do to block signals from the other station? My Ch 5 dipole is over 6 feet long. The stations are not directly opposite each other but kind of close. WTVF is 80 degrees and WMC is 240 degrees. Opposite of 80 would be 260 so that's within 20 degrees. I think interference could sometimes be an issue but since Memphis stations come in so rarely I'm not sure that's the whole issue. Perhaps both the FCC and TVfool overestimate the ability of low VHF signals to reach areas and low VHF just can't cut the mustard when it comes to digital.
post #2182 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps both the FCC and TVfool overestimate the ability of low VHF signals to reach areas and low VHF just can't cut the mustard when it comes to digital.

TVFool does overestimate sometimes, especially in rural areas. According to the FCC map, Camden is right on the edge of WTVF's protected contour. Most other Nashville stations' contours aren't anywhere near there. WKRN probably works better because it's on the west side of Nashville, and it's UHF. You're stuck between two markets. You can't beat the curvature of the earth, except when DX is good.

I grew up in an area like that, and hated it. Ironically, I just went back there, and DTV works better than analog ever did, even with VHF. Most people there just have DirecTV or Dish, instead of OTA. It looks like Camden qualifies for HD locals, so you can always get WTVF that way.
post #2183 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPC View Post

TVFool does overestimate sometimes, especially in rural areas. According to the FCC map, Camden is right on the edge of WTVF's protected contour. Most other Nashville stations' contours aren't anywhere near there. WKRN probably works better because it's on the west side of Nashville, and it's UHF. You're stuck between two markets. You can't beat the curvature of the earth, except when DX is good.

I grew up in an area like that, and hated it. Ironically, I just went back there, and DTV works better than analog ever did, even with VHF. Most people there just have DirecTV or Dish, instead of OTA. It looks like Camden qualifies for HD locals, so you can always get WTVF that way.

I have cable that isn't the issue. All the Nashvile stations come for the same direction they are at most 12 degrees apart so location shouldn't be an issue. Also Ch 17, 30, 33 and 58 towers are all in the same area as Ch 5 and come in without all the issues. Go look at their coverage maps. No where close to Camden. Heck even Ch 39 comes in more often and that's 92 miles way. So no curvature of the earth is not the issue. Ch 4 and Ch 8 are VHF and come in.
post #2184 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Has anyone ever heard of this antenna; whether it is as good as it claims, etc.? I live close to 60 miles west and can get WKRP at about 58% all of the time so breaking up is usually inevitable. I currently have the channel master 3776CM (?) 25 feet in the air with WG 7777 preamp and rotator. After the DTV switch I lost Ch. 11 from Lexington totally. Before I received it 100% of the time with great picture. I have never received 39 or 66 consistently, although TV Fool says I'm supposed to. All other Nashville stations and Jackson channel 7 are 80-100% all of the time. Any comments or suggestions from anyone familiar with this antenna? Thanks

DAT-75 Outdoor HDTV Antenna

$199.95
Part Number: DAT-75
DAT-75 Outdoor HDTV Antenna
Click to enlarge

Televes DAT 75 UHF HDTV Antenna
MFG Part Number: DAT75

Super Long Distance Over-the-air HDTV Antenna

The finest UHF antenna for fringe reception of digital/HD off-air television signals where durability, precise adjustment, and consistent performance are required. Appropriate for commercial, scientific, master antenna, and residential applications.

This high gain corner reflector 3 Beam Yagi-Uda design has been perfected by Televes for digital reception where digital TV has been on the air for many years, not a just a recent development like in the USA. There's a reason why if you travel through Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, that you'll see the prevalent DAT 75 everywhere. Our Distributer has tested the DAT 75 throughout the United States under all conditions with many, many receivers, not just in the backyard or in the idealized environment of computer simulations like some of the info you'll find online. With clients that include the heads of the world's most well-known corporations, the Saudi royal family, and nearly obsessive-compulsive videophiles, the DAT 75's quality and performance has made it our #1 choice.

As you probably know, there are many factors to obtaining good reception. The DAT 75 delivers a sculpted commercial quality 10-year package with gross gain figures similar to the Blake JBX21 (our 2nd favorite next to the DAT 75, but unfortunately subject to sag and corrosion), the Channel Master 4228 (clunky, heavy, high windage), and the Antennas Direct XG91 (cheap in more ways than one).

The DAT 75 is the only high gain antenna design that includes 2 cast alloy mast clamps that enable you to precisely adjust direction and tilt. When just a quarter inch will change reception quality, this can give you the advantage you need to receive difficult signals simply unattainable with other rigs. Other manufacturers use a cheap stamped metal clamp with teeth that will round off easily that doesn't permit you to adjust tilt, or if it does, is just a stamped thumbscrew that will strip in short order.

Features:

* Made of aluminum alloy for long life in the most stringent conditions
* Robust design with high quality materials
* Junction box supplied with an F connector and a weather proof boot
* Balun installed into a fully shielded diecast junction box with built-in F type connector
* Separate dipole/junction box can be inserted just by clicking after antenna installation is completed
* Captive screws on the reflectors allow secure and easy installation
* Tilting via the mast clamp

Antenna Specs:
Bandwidth: 470MHz - 862MHz
Gain: 19dBi*
Front/Back Ratio: 32dB
Offset Angle: 30 Degrees
Elevation Angle: 35 Degrees
Polarization: Horizontal + Vertical
Length: 71.72 Inches
Wind Load @80mph: 144
Wind Load @93mph: 198

Antenna Stacking:
Two DAT antennas can be stacked to improve reception directivity or to increase overall gain.
3dB extra gain and better directivity (45% more) to increase input signal.

This product was added to our catalog on Saturday 04 October, 2008.
post #2185 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuke View Post

Has anyone ever heard of this antenna; whether it is as good as it claims, etc.? I live close to 60 miles west and can get WKRP at about 58% all of the time so breaking up is usually inevitable. I currently have the channel master 3776CM (?) 25 feet in the air with WG 7777 preamp and rotator. After the DTV switch I lost Ch. 11 from Lexington totally. Before I received it 100% of the time with great picture. I have never received 39 or 66 consistently, although TV Fool says I'm supposed to. All other Nashville stations and Jackson channel 7 are 80-100% all of the time. Any comments or suggestions from anyone familiar with this antenna? Thanks

Ch 11 out of Lexington turned off analog on Feb 16th so the June 12th shut off shoudn't have affected a thing. Tvfool says that Ch 11 is supposedly my strongest signal( it is the closest ), but it isn't the strongest Ch 7 Jackson is and the only one that will come in 24/7. Heck Ch 2 WRKN is stronger than Ch 11 for me.

As far as that antenna just remember it's UHF only. So no 5 and probably no 4 or 8 either.
post #2186 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 01:30 PM

Looks like they are doing some tweaking over at WKRP. A few minutes ago it went from 4 DTV Channels down to 2. RTV is not being broadcast.

Now it is 12.1 Daystar and 12.2 WKRP and 12.2 is a blue screen (minus the COBY logo).
post #2187 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a separate VHF for 4, 5, and 8 which I can still use...it's just that they make the strongest claims of reception of anybody I've ever heard...didn't want to get rooked!
post #2188 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 PM

The only problem I see with that antenna is most of the gain is on the upper channels. Now if 5 puts 50 on it may help there but for any thing under 30-40 it won't be the best.
post #2189 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM

WKRP has 6.1 Daystar, 6.2 RTV, 6.3 Country videos tonight.
Got a preview of the classic movies earlier this afternoon before the switch.
Looking Good, at least there is sound!
Also, running several commercials for stores in Lebanon on the Country..
post #2190 of 4068 Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrostation View Post

WKRP has 6.1 Daystar, 6.2 RTV, 6.3 Country videos tonight.
Got a preview of the classic movies earlier this afternoon before the switch.
Looking Good, at least there is sound!
Also, running several commercials for stores in Lebanon on the Country..

I'm getin nuttin' down here....very weak signal will try to rotate antenna

wait a minute it's coming in at 35 on digitalstream unit nothing on db-2010 what I do see looks good getting 6-1,6-2,6-3,6-4 and 7-5

UPDATE:7/10/09 I came home today and the signal from WKRP had degraded audio wise again it's almost like they are driving it too hard it's only poping and clicking today Maybe it'll get better or maybe sometime they'll be able to increase power.

I am having a smiliar problem with CW58 I am begining to think my amp on mast is causing an overload. All my other stations work fine

I JUST LOVE DIGITAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page