Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
ESPN fetches $4 per subscriber. That's a LOT of money.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

ESPN fetches $4 per subscriber. That's a LOT of money.

- Trip

Yep, and little old ladies have to pay for it, and the FCC and the FTC looks the other way.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Indeed, a la carte would definitely be nice to see on cable. My point was that it's not an insignificant amount of money. There are a lot of people who would probably drop cable tomorrow if ESPN was available for free.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 AM

let me clarify... Post it notes on with a rotating camera in HD is far better quality programming than what I see on the major networks.
I have no desire to argure the point.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrostation View Post

Post it notes on with a rotating camera in HD is far better quality programming than what I see on the major networks.

Is there anything written down on the Post-It Notes? Maybe local news should be done that way...It would save a lot of stations money...
Old 12-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsandsports View Post

Is there anything written down on the Post-It Notes? Maybe local news should be done that way...It would save a lot of stations money...

They'd just crib stuff from Extra and Entertainment Tonight.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Indeed, a la carte would definitely be nice to see on cable. My point was that it's not an insignificant amount of money. There are a lot of people who would probably drop cable tomorrow if ESPN was available for free.

- Trip

I'm with you. It's that my Mom is at the age where she has to be helped along on her understanding of what she's buying, and it's getting harder to justify the DISH bill, but at the same time she doesn't want to go the route of an antenna, which I've suggested.

Yes, I'd say that ESPN is the big carrot on the stick. (For me, it'd be TCM).
Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 AM

I have never watched a program on ESPN. A couple on TCM.. back in the day, there was a network called SPN, it was nostalgia... but as a thirteen year old, I only remember it a little along with the headline news channel Turner bought to take out competition the headline news. Right now the only reason I will replace the DTA box is purely for DX'ing. And yes, there was a station in Atlanta I saw when I was little. It had a B&w Camera on an turnstile that focused on sheets of paper with beautiful music in the background... it was around 1978.. But even for dx'ing.. digital takes the fun out of it... I think your better off w/o a bill. I quite enjoy Roulette TV out of the UK.. but alas, we cant bet here....
Old 12-28-2010, 11:58 AM

Local news is a joke... WBIR in Knoxville was once a great news station, I think the highest ratings in the country for local news.. produced the Heartland series since 1984.... but no more... Nashville is worse than knoxville... but OMG Memphis... add local news to the list of things that make memphis quite like a small negelected nation with sanctions emposed unto itself.....
Old 12-28-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrostation View Post

....Right now the only reason I will replace the DTA box is purely for DX'ing. And yes, there was a station in Atlanta I saw when I was little. It had a B&w Camera on an turnstile that focused on sheets of paper with beautiful music in the background... it was around 1978.. But even for dx'ing.. digital takes the fun out of it...

Cable in Pulaski TN had basically the same thing - a camera that swept from left to right and back agan, aimed at a wall with a clock, a similarly sized thermometer, barometer and maybe a couple of others that I can't remember, and a placard or two of ads as bookends.

I'll be a little bit of a heretic with DXing. Digital is all or nothing, (minimal signal level), so I see it as just another type of catch, with it's own quirks and learning curve.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving1956 View Post

Cable in Pulaski TN had basically the same thing - a camera that swept from left to right and back agan, aimed at a wall with a clock, a similarly sized thermometer, barometer and maybe a couple of others that I can't remember, and a placard or two of ads as bookends.

I'll be a little bit of a heretic with DXing. Digital is all or nothing, (minimal signal level), so I see it as just another type of catch, with it's own quirks and learning curve.

If only the smart antenna was just 40 or 50 bucks, none of us would have problems with reception...
Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
If only the smart antenna was just 40 or 50 bucks, none of us would have problems with reception...
I'm going to have to be honest here...I've done a little research on the smart antenna but still don't completely understand its practicality and how it works. Could someone explain to a dumb HS English teacher how this actually works (in layman's terms so even I could understand)? Thanks!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuke View Post
I'm going to have to be honest here...I've done a little research on the smart antenna but still don't completely understand its practicality and how it works. Could someone explain to a dumb HS English teacher how this actually works (in layman's terms so even I could understand)? Thanks!
I hope it's a sight better than that "diversity antenna" crap that was in my old '84 Maxima. Retractable antenna on the back, a windshield antenna, and that horrendous "high blend" FM radio.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 AM

If any cell phone companies want to put a tower on my land, I will give you a free month if you allow me to put several antennas of my own up.. say at about 250 ft...
Old 12-31-2010, 04:02 PM

Don't forget to rescan your box at midnight just in case one of our local stations decides to give us a little "New Year's surprise"...hopefully it's Antenna TV on 17.2
Old 12-31-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Don't forget to rescan your box at midnight just in case one of our local stations decides to give us a little "New Year's surprise"...hopefully it's Antenna TV on 17.2

We're about to get it at midnight on WHNT, (replacing RTV), and the one lame ad they've shown looks like TVLand 2, with a little Stooges from AMC.

TVLand's been running All in the Family, Good Times, Three's Company, the Nanny, Sanford and Son, etc, for a few years already, so there's a little bit of irony in a couple of posts made a few days back wishing for ESPN or FOX or some other cable channels OTA.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, I think Telemundo on 4.2 has bit the dust...Haven't seen anything on 4.2 since last night. I took a nap at 11 CT (Midnight ET, so it was already Jan. 1), woke up at about 2 AM to find nothing but blank screen, not "No Signal", but a blank screen. It's been like that ever since. Maybe Meredith Corp. is trying to save some money, or finally figured out they're racist. I took Spanish in high school and I liked Telemundo's programming, especially the coverage of the past few Summer Olympics, soccer from Mexico's top league, and the nightly news.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:32 PM

WSMV 4.2 shows sign off on the guide and is blank. Perhaps there will be a change on that channel.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by air.jason View Post

WSMV 4.2 shows sign off on the guide and is blank. Perhaps there will be a change on that channel.

My guide on my Magnavox box shows what would be on Telemundo at the moment, but blank screen. There was a lot of thunder and lightning last night, but if the main channel is on, the subs should be on too. I think you might be right about a change coming.

There's a few options open:

A) They could go the "NewsChannel 5+" route, much like all the NBC O&O's are doing with their "NBC Nonstop" subchannels

B) Antenna TV is going to 4.2, a decent trade off, but leaving Nashville without a major Spanish-language network (either OTA or subchannel)

C) Antenna TV goes to 4.2 and Telemundo goes to 4.3 (best case scenario)

Hopefully something goes on 4.2 soon...
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

My guide on my Magnavox box shows what would be on Telemundo at the moment, but blank screen. There was a lot of thunder and lightning last night, but if the main channel is on, the subs should be on too. I think you might be right about a change coming.

There's a few options open:

A) They could go the "NewsChannel 5+" route, much like all the NBC O&O's are doing with their "NBC Nonstop" subchannels

B) Antenna TV is going to 4.2, a decent trade off, but leaving Nashville without a major Spanish-language network (either OTA or subchannel)

C) Antenna TV goes to 4.2 and Telemundo goes to 4.3 (best case scenario)

Hopefully something goes on 4.2 soon...

Yes eat away at precious bandwidth for HD even more on WSMV. I think most people would agree that WTVF's HD picture looked better than that was the only thing on it before they added 5.2 and 5.3. Then they want to add mobile too. Antenna TV and stuff like that should be on a channel like 44 which is nothing but SD programming. They have the bandwidth.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by air.jason View Post

I just went to the Telemundo schedule listings on the WSMV page and had the schedule listing translated through Google translator. This is what came up: "Outside air aireFuera (TV-Y) No programming scheduled for this time due to maintenance of transmission, or air time outside the station. Still not sure if it's off for good but at least I found out something. I just wish somebody would get AntennaWeb!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 AM

I have Charter cable and WSMV 4.2 used to be on channel 223. It's no longer showing up nor is it listed in the program guide. They also added 23.2 that country music video stuff.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:21 PM

From what I heard at church this morning, WSMV is not getting enough spots sold to run on Telemundo "local avails", so program manager is considering dropping Telemundo...Adios, Andres Cantor, Jose Diaz Balart, and the rest of the gang on 4.2
Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:

From what I heard at church this morning, WSMV is not getting enough spots sold to run on Telemundo "local avails", so program manager is considering dropping Telemundo...Adios, Andres Cantor, Jose Diaz Balart, and the rest of the gang on 4.2

Well Nashville's hispanic poulation is less than 10% isn't it? And probably less in the surrounding counties. Also isn't there a analog spanish station on Ch 42?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Well Nashville's hispanic poulation is less than 10% isn't it? And probably less in the surrounding counties. Also isn't there a analog spanish station on Ch 42?

It's low-power analog Channel 42: WLLC - (TELEFUTURA)
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Is there any more news at all about RTN's move to 17? They still waiting on Daystar to pay for it?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Just talked with Channel 4 and found out that 4.2 is no more, on TV anyway. The spectrum is going to be used to upload satellite feeds, etc., for internet news and specials. Looks like AntennaTV will still be looking for a home.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuke View Post

Just talked with Channel 4 and found out that 4.2 is no more, on TV anyway. The spectrum is going to be used to upload satellite feeds, etc., for internet news and specials. Looks like AntennaTV will still be looking for a home.

Why don't they just do a deal with Ch 44? The main channel is Jewelry Channel which is in SD and 44.2 is A1 which is also SD. So they have plenty of bandwidth to spare. I mean I can't get it in because the tower is east of Nashville, but people in Nashville shouldn't have any issues.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 PM

I'm in the same boat with the transmitter issue so if AntennaWeb does get here I would LOVE to have it on a tower in west Nashville or in the White's Creek area.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Why don't they just do a deal with Ch 44? The main channel is Jewelry Channel which is in SD and 44.2 is A1 which is also SD. So they have plenty of bandwidth to spare. I mean I can't get it in because the tower is east of Nashville, but people in Nashville shouldn't have any issues.

That won't work because Doc Bryant, as cheap as A1 is, probably is barely hanging on to it. Heck, even the live morning show was hiatus the last time I looked at WJFB's Facebook page. Telemundo takes a lot more money to run than what you think...