post #3151 of 3306 Old 09-09-2011, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greiland View Post

Yes, still having problems. I think it might be my antenna amplifier. I have another TV that is further away from my antenna and I can now only get channel 6 on that TV. My main TV is getting a signal below 50% for channel 10. I live in Marion (just south of Rochester by I-90). I'm high up on a hill and my antenna is an indoor/outdoor antenna and is located in my attic. It's worked perfectly for the last couple years until now. I may buy a new amplifier and see if that does the trick.

Have you tried the antenna without an amplifier? Double-check your wires. Mice sometimes like to nibble in attics... Your location might make a better antenna a better buy than an amplifier. The Channel Master 4228 comes to mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3306 Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greiland View Post
I live in Marion (just south of Rochester by I-90). I'm high up on a hill and my antenna is an indoor/outdoor antenna and is located in my attic. It's worked perfectly for the last couple years until now.
Hello neighbor. I too live in Marion (just south of Rochester / I-90). I'm not high up on a hill, but I do have an outdoor roof mounted antenna. Reception is fine for me.
post #3153 of 3306 Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 AM

I live in downtown Rochester and have a Antennas Direct 91XG on the roof of my two story house with a CM 7777 preamplifier. My two main concerns are getting KYIN and KTTC reliably. I understand that I need to get a VHF Hi antenna for KTTC, but am wondering ifnthere is anything I can do about KYIN. It seems that i am only getting a signal strength of 68-70 at best. I am having a new roof put on in a couple of weeks and thought that now would be the time to prepare for optimal antenna placement. I am currently using a J shaped mast that came with a Terk antenna I bought several years ago and am wondering if i should invest in a proper tripod and mast, especially if I plan on adding a VHF antenna. Is there a particular way tha i have to mount the two antennas and should I use the preamp for the VHF as well? I will post my tvfool profile next. Thanks in advance for any help!
post #3154 of 3306 Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 AM

I need to post this in order to post my tvfool report.
post #3155 of 3306 Old 09-20-2011, 01:16 AM

My tvfool report is next.
post #3156 of 3306 Old 09-20-2011, 01:16 AM

post #3157 of 3306 Old 09-20-2011, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you getting artifacts or breakups with KYIN? Digital is a forgiving beast as long as the error rate isn't high enough to get those; the picture should be perfect where analog would be a snowy mess. Your results sound similar to mine, yet KYIN is usually fine for me.

Try KTTC without a preamplifier first. A decent antenna should pull it in fine. I have a separate coax run into the house for my VHF antenna and combine them with a UHF/VHF joiner (filters eliminate cross-band problems.

You should mount your VHF antenna at least 3' below the UHF, but 6' or more is ideal. VHF antennas are heavier and the frequencies are not as sensitive to height as UHF, which is why it should be lower. Good luck!
post #3158 of 3306 Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 AM

It comes in perfectly and then cuts out. I would say it cuts out briefly every 3-5 minutes. Given the distance between the two antennas, I'm assuming a mast minimum of 3-4 feet. Does it matter how close the VHF antenna is to the roof? Thanks again!
post #3159 of 3306 Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

If you already have a CM 7777, you might as well just use a pre-amp on it.

Getting a tripod and a 10ft section of mast might not be a bad idea. I'd recommend some 10ft EMT as opposed to antenna mast, as it isn't that much more expensive and is considerably sturdier.

With KYIN, you probably want to get the antenna as high as you can get it and then aim straight at KYIN/KIMT. I would think that one can pull that up to an acceptable level. Sounds like it's just on the edge right now.

Needless to say, aim the VHF antenna right at KTTC. 3-4 off the roof wouldn't be a bad idea.

http://rochestermnhd.blogspot.com/ - Tech 55901. Tech news for Rochester. Authored by mattdp and gjvrieze.
http://tvfmantennas.a.wiki-site.com/index.php/Hardware
post #3160 of 3306 Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpocowboy View Post

It comes in perfectly and then cuts out. I would say it cuts out briefly every 3-5 minutes. Given the distance between the two antennas, I'm assuming a mast minimum of 3-4 feet. Does it matter how close the VHF antenna is to the roof? Thanks again!

You want to be at least one wavelength off the roof if you can help it. 3-4' isn't a bad idea. For KYIN, you might need a higher antenna, but sometimes moving just an inch or two can make a big difference. Once you're about 10' over the local (1/4-mile) tree line, more height won't help.
much.
post #3161 of 3306 Old 10-21-2011, 03:36 PM

ThisTV has arrived on channel 6.2.
post #3162 of 3306 Old 10-21-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

That makes 16 subs for the Rochester area, giving us all of the major and and larger minor networks on TV.

ThisTV looks rather lame. Obscure MGM movies and ancient shows I've never heard of? You'd think they would want to broadcast shows people want to watch in order to get a bigger market share. Other subs like MyNet, MeTV and CW have a fairly appealing lineup and at least in our house, draw more viewing time than the major networks.

http://rochestermnhd.blogspot.com/ - Tech 55901. Tech news for Rochester. Authored by mattdp and gjvrieze.
http://tvfmantennas.a.wiki-site.com/index.php/Hardware
post #3163 of 3306 Old 10-21-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 83
ThisTV basically plays older(but not really old) movies. As apposed to MeTV which seems to play basically older TV programs. We just got MeTV in the MSP market(channel 45 sub, but on the 5's) and so far I'm liking it better than This. My father likes ThisTV for it's movies
post #3164 of 3306 Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 PM

There can be some real gems in their movie lineup.

I just wish they aired them in widescreen instead of pan and scan 4x3. Even letterboxed would be better, but come on, it's the 21st century now. I'm not asking for high def. Just 480 lines of 16x9 would be fine. One of the ATSC standard's modes does it.
post #3165 of 3306 Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I've just about had it with OTA and DirecTV. I could buy a new HR24 DVR for $200 and lock myself into another 2 years with them, and get a DVR that doesn't take 7-8 seconds to respond to remote button pushes, and hope that when they launch a pair of new satellites in 2014 one of them will offer HD LiL here, but I'm seriously contemplating killing the whole package and getting Charter.

KTTC breaks up frequently, thanks to their VHF frequency and the unfortunate habit of airplanes and helicopters to fly directly over my house. (Yes, that is the cause of the breakups. Thank you dynamic multipath.)

KAAL has an audio/video glitch with my DTVPal DVR every 31 seconds, which has been ongoing now for over two years. I get a perfect signal strength and it is not a reception issue.

Anyone care to comment on their experience with Charter's HD DVR? I hear they're getting the Tivo interface soon, which would be nice. I've had minimal problems with their Internet service (other than a frayed cable that my new roof material caused.)
post #3166 of 3306 Old 11-10-2011, 06:14 AM

I recently switched from an HR20 to an HR 24 with AM21 ATSC add on tuner.The tuner integrates the local channels into the guide just like you are used to. I'm thrilled with the change. The HR24 responds almost instantly to button presses on the remote. The AM21 works great and seems more sensitive than the HR20s ATSC tuner. I don't know what may fix your multipath issue,perhaps a better antenna would help. I doubt you will be happy with cable. People usually are not after having DIRECTV.

Directv is rolling out a new HD interface which is supposed to speed up receiver response. Check out dbstalk.com for more information.
post #3167 of 3306 Old 11-10-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runch Machine View Post

I recently switched from an HR20 to an HR 24 with AM21 ATSC add on tuner.The tuner integrates the local channels into the guide just like you are used to..

At one point, the software would not allow you to tune to or record sub channels. Is that still the case?

I have a ClearStream 5 for channel 10. Signal strength is pretty good. Back in the analog days, flyovers caused incredible moving shadows, and I don't think any antenna is going to defeat them - they are simply too strong. Maybe if I found a 200dB gain antenna and pointed it at the ground...? Granted getting an AM21 would fix KAAL problems, since that is a tuner-specific bug.

I didn't know DirecTV was rolling out a new interface. Maybe that will make me happy enough to buy the tuner module and see how it does.
post #3168 of 3306 Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM

With the AM21 you can tune to sub channels and record them. Guide data is there as well. The issue sometimes comes with getting DIRECTV to add the sub channels, but once they do it works the same as with any other channel.

I don't know what you mean by a tuner specific bug. If you have really bad multipath caused by planes flying over, newer tuners will be better able to handle that problem but if it's bad enough, then no tuner will be able to overcome the signal issue.

Also, even without the new software, the new HD DVR Model HR24 is awesome. If you don't mind spending $200 to get one, it's well worth it. Solidsignal.com sells them.
post #3169 of 3306 Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know what you mean by a tuner specific bug. If you have really bad multipath caused by planes flying over, newer tuners will be better able to handle that problem but if it's bad enough, then no tuner will be able to overcome the signal issue.

I have two problems. Multipath on KTTC, which is dynamic. Modern tuners do really well with static Multipath, but dynamic is a beast. Someone suggested a Winegard hi-VHF antenna that just might be directional enough to work. I have to decide if it's worth sinking the money into that or not.

KAAL has something in their PSIP stream that causes my DVR to choke every 31 seconds. This is a documented firmware bug in the DTVPal DVR. Efforts to get the station to fix this problem have failed. Efforts to get more specific information on what setting exactly it is in their PSIP that is causing the problem have also failed. KSTP does not cause this problem, and the addition of ThisTV did not fix it. Dish has abandoned firmware updates, so it simply is what it is. A different tuner would fix this problem. My TV's tuner fixes this problem, but then I'd be watching live TV and I almost never do.

So basically I can :

A) stick with DirecTV until they carry HD LiL, paying $90/month, grit my teeth and bear it.
B) stick with DirecTV and add an AM21 and hope the new firmware makes my dog a cheetah
C) stick with DirecTV for 2 more years with no hope of a discount and spend $300 on new hardware (HR24+AM21)

Or

D) Put $200 into a new antenna install and hope it fixes KTTC and give up hope on KAAL.

Or

E) switch to Charter and pay about what I'm paying now, and get all my reception problems to disappear.

There is also option F, which is to buy a TiVo Premiere with a horrible OTA tuner and be out $600 and fix KAAL only, possibly losing KYIN in the process. Option G, an HTPC, is not an option.

It's almost enough to make me want to put the TV in storage. Option E doesn't look that bad to me. DirecTV really soured me by locking me into a contract with the worst DVR I've ever owned. I'd lose Qubo (kids love Magic School Bus) and would be downgraded to SD for Tennis Channel. I'd keep everything else I watch.
post #3170 of 3306 Old 11-11-2011, 10:17 AM

As far as monthly cost, I was at my uncle's home a few weeks ago and he had the same issue about the monthly cost. I called DIRECTV from his home phone and told them how much I liked the service but the cost had gotten too high especially compared to what I could save if I switched to cable. I was very nice and did not threaten to leave. I asked them what they could do to help me out. They took off $20 for 12 months and gave a year of Showtime free. Give DIRECTV a call and try this out. It usually results in a savings. Also tell them that you would like to add an HD DVR to your account preferrably the new HR24. They will likely ship you one for $99 but maybe free. You will be stuck for another two years. Also ask them about an ATSC off air tuner model AM21. You should be able to get one of those for somewhere between free and $49. If you don't mind, let me know how this works out for you.
post #3171 of 3306 Old 11-12-2011, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Give DIRECTV a call and try this out. It usually results in a savings. Also tell them that you would like to add an HD DVR to your account preferrably the new HR24. They will likely ship you one for $99 but maybe free. You will be stuck for another two years. Also ask them about an ATSC off air tuner model AM21. You should be able to get one of those for somewhere between free and $49. If you don't mind, let me know how this works out for you.

I have some problems with calling DirecTV. First, I am still under contract, so they don't give a hill of beans about making me happy. True, I can now get out of that contract for less than half a month's service, but they will merrily ignore my complaints rather than give in. Second, DirecTV has made it clear many times that "we have no control over what box you get." In other words, I can ask for an HR24, but they might send me an HR23 anyway. I still get the "locked-in" contract, but am no better off. DirecTV not guaranteeing a model is why people buy their DVRs from SolidSignal or Amazon.

I ordered a Winegard YA-1713 yesterday in hopes of fixing KTTC. Ironically, last night was a good one and I got a complete hour of programming without a glitch (I didn't check during commercials.) I hope having a more directional antenna will resolve that problem.

As for KAAL, I think I'll video the glitch and send it to their engineering department. Maybe that will get some action.

And for DirecTV, I'm going to drop it in a few weeks. I might get cable (no contract, no contract, no contract) when NASCAR heats up next year, or maybe not. There's nothing else on it that I need anymore. I can buy the few programs I care about on Amazon's Instant Video service and save, oh, about $1000/year. Goodbye to the monthly bills.
post #3172 of 3306 Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The new Winegard YA-1713 is installed. My local roofer did the swap for me dirt cheap. If anyone wants someone to do the install work and doesn't need the antenna expertise, I can PM you a recommendation.

If anyone wants a free used Clearstream 5 antenna (includes only 1 u-bolt), PM me for pickup info.

The initial results look promising. With the Clearstream, my signal was jumping around constantly and significantly. The Winegard added 10 pts to the meter, and jumps are down to a very low level (2-3 pts instead of the former 10-15). I don't entirely blame the Clearstream, as it was not installed at he proper angle - it had to be tilted up because my mast didn't have enough room to clear the chimney, and that also caused it to aim about 5 degrees off in azimuth. The new one fits perfectly.
post #3173 of 3306 Old 11-19-2011, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

First test of the 1713 went well. One very minor audio glitch in a full hour program. Hard to describe, but the single glitch was much less obtrusive than what I was seeing before. Very pleased with my $80 upgrade (installation included in price.)
post #3174 of 3306 Old 11-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post

The clear QAM trick (where you hook the TV up to cable and get un-encrypted local channels, music choice and some other misc.)

Is anybody tracking Clear QAM channels on Charter in Rochester?

How often is Charter shuffling the Clear QAMs, or changing virtual mappings? In other words, when was the last time you had to re-scan?

Are they using any Clear QAM for switched digital in Rochester?

I just set up a TV in Rochester on Charter. 55906 right near the old Charter office. The silicondust channel listings seem outdated, or just inaccurate. They're not completely off, but there are plenty of variations from the QAM channels I am getting.

Most of the clear QAM that doesn't have virtual mapping assigned is garbage programming. But I'm not sure, for example, if the CW on Clear QAM 99.10 is much better than the CW on analog NTSC channel 7.
post #3175 of 3306 Old 11-28-2011, 12:58 PM

I try to track them but the last month or two has seen at least a few changes.

The biggest change was the Music Choice channels leaving Clear-QAM.

virt._______actual
2.1 KTCAHD 84.1
2.2 KTCA-MN 84.2
2.3 KTCA-Life 84.3
3.1 KIMTHD 82.2
3.2 KIMT-My 82.3
5.1 KSTP2 83.3
6.1 KAALHD 83.2
6.2 KAAL-This ?
10.1 KTTCHD 82.1
15.1 KSMQ 84.4
15.2 KSMQ-WV 84.5
15.3 KSMQ-CR 84.6
15.4 KSMQ-MN 84.7
24.3 INSP
24.7 TBN
24.11 EWTN
24.16 SHOPNBC
47.1 KXLTHD 83.1
47.2 KXLT-Me 83.4
76.1 PUBAC1 pa
76.2 PUBAC2 rctc
76.3 PUBAC3 wea
76.4 PUBAC4 rst
76.5 PUBAC5 byr
76.6 PUBAC6 do.co.
76.7 PUBAC7 stew
76.8 PUBAC8 eyo
76.9 PUBAC9 zum
76.10 PUBAC10 rps
76.11 HSN
88.49 ION
88.50 CSPAN2
88.51 CSPAN3
98.1 CHARCH
98.3 CSPAN
98.5 QVC
98.7 TVGN
98.10 WGN
98.12 CHAREX
99.1 KAAL
99.2 KSMQ
99.3 KIMT
99.4 KYIN
99.5 WCCO
99.6 KMSP
99.7 KXLT
99.8 KSTP
99.9 KTTC
99.10 KTTC-CW
99.12 KTCA
107 ONDEM1
post #3176 of 3306 Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 PM

TPT and KSMQ are missing from my QAM lineup now. These were on 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 and 15-1 through 15-4 for the last year, and I just noticed they are completely gone.

Any idea why? Charter is, of course, no help as they don't officially support QAM channels.

I'm a bit of a newbie with QAM I guess, so I don't really understand what could have happened for these to be lost.

Thanks!
post #3177 of 3306 Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 AM

Rescan, and get used to doing it.
post #3178 of 3306 Old 12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Charter had better support QAM or the FCC will have their hide.

If what you mean is that Charter does not support your stealing of QAM channels, you would be correct, and posting such on a public forum would be most unwise.
post #3179 of 3306 Old 12-04-2011, 12:00 PM

Those stations are part of Charter's most basic TV package. Whether charter expects you to view them only via one of their tuners or DVRs, as opposed to via your own tuner's QAM ability, I don't know.

But Charter is free to reassign their channel layout whenever and in whatever way suits them, so get used to needing to rescan from time to time.
post #3180 of 3306 Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregener View Post

Charter had better support QAM or the FCC will have their hide.

If what you mean is that Charter does not support your stealing of QAM channels, you would be correct, and posting such on a public forum would be most unwise.

If the following follows through -- don't expect the FCC to come to your rescue regarding QAM anymore.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/vie...d9f02eab2f9049
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page