2Likes

post #3211 of 3373 Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregener View Post

That's probably why 39 was not an option as it would cause interference with 40 out of the Cities.

Channel 39 wasn't an option because 3ABN got a permit in 2010 to construct a 15 kW station located at a site near Hayfield on that channel. The 3ABN station on channel 38 near Rochester interferes with this permit, but as owner of both stations, 3ABN was willing to accept that.

Whether the channel 39 permit will get built has to be in doubt at this point. 3ABN applied to move the station to a site 7 miles to the north in part to lower their tower rent, but the FCC dismissed the application for being too close to the Minneapolis-St. Paul market. Now, with WEAU back on channel 38, the proposed station has the problem of causing interference to the WEAU signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3373 Old 02-05-2012, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was talking to my Dad this afternoon (I have relayed SportsScene 13 audio of Greenwood sports over the phone to him in the past, including the coverage of them winning Division 7 football last fall) and I was bemoaning the loss of WEAU. I went to 38 to tell him what I was now getting and I saw Aaron Rodgers instead!!! Rescanned and 13-1 and 13-2 are back in the channel map! Hooray!

I didn't even have the chance to email the WEAU chief engineer yet. So they must have found out already and shut it down. Today being the Superbowl probably didn't hurt any. What a relief.

(As for previous posts I was not aware that UHF 37 was used for radio astronomy, nor did I know two adjacent ATSC stations could interfere if in different locations. Learn something new everyday.)

[Thinking about this more, why doesn't WLAX 25 on UHF 17 interfere with KYIN 24 on UHF 18 (or vice versa)?]
post #3213 of 3373 Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

K38LE is the Iowa PBS station in Lansing, IA: http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.p...=1485090&map=Y

Because of WEAU, they have sought displacement to from channel 38 to channel 39 from the FCC.

- Trip

Thanks for the response.
I did not realize that you were not talking about the Rochester
station.

I sent my email of to Ron W at WEAU.

See what happens...
post #3214 of 3373 Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachmn View Post

[Thinking about this more, why doesn't WLAX 25 on UHF 17 interfere with KYIN 24 on UHF 18 (or vice versa)?]

WLAX actually does receive 0.6% interference from somewhere (not specified in the document I have).

The answer is that there is sufficient distance between the two, and the directional pattern KYIN has probably helps.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3215 of 3373 Old 02-05-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:

WLAX actually does receive 0.6% interference from somewhere (not specified in the document I have).

Which document is that?

I spoke too soon. K38NN-D is back on the air. They must have been not transmitting for some reason earlier. Phooey.

Do you think more than one email to Ron would help (to show more than one viewer is reporting the interference), or would that be pestering him?
post #3216 of 3373 Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Which document is that?

The FCC's Appendix B allotment table. http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...CC-08-72A2.pdf

Quote:

Do you think more than one email to Ron would help (to show more than one viewer is reporting the interference), or would that be pestering him?

If you haven't e-mailed already, I would say it can't hurt. You can even say in the e-mail (if you don't need a reply) that you don't need a reply and that the purpose of the e-mail is to make known your dissatisfaction with the presence of K38NN-D. That should be sufficient for an FCC complaint, should WEAU make one.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #3217 of 3373 Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:

The FCC's Appendix B allotment table. http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...CC-08-72A2.pdf

Thanks!
Quote:
If you haven't e-mailed already, I would say it can't hurt. You can even say in the e-mail (if you don't need a reply) that you don't need a reply and that the purpose of the e-mail is to make known your dissatisfaction with the presence of K38NN-D. That should be sufficient for an FCC complaint, should WEAU make one.

I will do so, I sure hope WEAU will file a complaint.
post #3218 of 3373 Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 PM

I sent the email last night, and Ron replied today:

Thanks for the info.

Our legal council has sent a letter informing them that the interference is impermissible.

Hopefully a resolution is in sight!

WEAU was back on the air again this evening. Given what happened yesterday, I'm not holding my breath at this point.
post #3219 of 3373 Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:

I sent the email last night, and Ron replied today:

Thanks for the info.

Our legal council has sent a letter informing them that the interference is impermissible.

Hopefully a resolution is in sight!

WEAU was back on the air again this evening. Given what happened yesterday, I'm not holding my breath at this point.

I emailed yesterday also, and got the same response.
As of 9:25pm, signal is back and looking good as of now.
post #3220 of 3373 Old 02-07-2012, 11:36 PM

Ron sent me another email on Tuesday afternoon:

Can you verify that interference from K38NN-D in Rochester has ended?

To which I replied I had no problems Monday night, early Tuesday morning, and later Tuesday night (after coming back from Caucuses).

So we should be safe with WEAU again. Whew!
post #3221 of 3373 Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
its been turned off per a note at northpine

Iowa Public Television has now turned off translator K38LE-D (Lansing) and is seeking special temporary authority to move it to channel 39 immediately
post #3222 of 3373 Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM

I'm confused. 3ABN appears to have filed something new on Monday, the 6th. See:
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...=0&facid=67018

But it looks like they're still applying to use channel 38, same power, height, etc.

Are they changing something that I'm not noticing?
post #3223 of 3373 Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They filed to cover the permit over the weekend, presumably before the interference complaint was received.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #3224 of 3373 Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

whats weird is on 2/2 they filed the emergency STA to move to 39

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...&fac_num=29112

FULL SERVICE STATION WEAU EXECUTED BROADCAST TESTS ASSOCIATED WITH ITS CONSTRUCTION PERMIT AND ITS LICENSE TO COVER APPLICATION. DURING THE TESTS, INTERFERENCE FROM K38LE-D TO WEAU VIEWERS HAS BEEN REPORTED. DUE TO THE TERRAIN FROM THE K38LE-D TRANSMITTER SITE TO THE AFFECTED AREA WITHIN THE PROTECTED CONTOUR OF WEAU, REDUCTION OF POWER AND REORIENTATION OF THE ANTENNA BY K38LE-D WILL NOT ELIMINATE THE INTERFERENCE TO WEAU. IN RESPONSE TO THE INTERFERENCE K38LE-D HAS CEASED OPERATION.

IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE SITUATION, THE LICENSEE OF K38LE HAS FILED A DISPLACEMENT APPLICATION (20120124AFK)FOR DIGITAL OPERATION ON CHANNEL 39 USING A FULL SERVICE EMISSION MASK. THIS STA PROPOSES FACILITIES THAT EXACTLY MATCH THE DISPLACEMENT APPLICATION. THE USE OF CHANNEL 39 WITH THE PROPOSED FACILITY DOES NOT CAUSE OBJECTIONABLE INTERFERENCE TO EXISTING AUTHORIZED FACILITIES AND ALLOWS K38LE TO CONTINUE SERVE IT VIEWERSHIP. SEE THE ATTACHED INTERFERENCE ANALYSIS. THE INTERFERENCE ANALYSIS INDICATES INTERFERENCE TO NEW STATION APPLICATION WITH FCC FILE NUMBER 20100201AEV. THE 20100201AEV APPLICATION FOR A NEW STATION HAS STATUS OF ACCEPTED FOR FILING BUT IS PART OF THE FREEZE ON NEW STATION APPLICATIONS. IN ADDITION, THE DISPLACEMENT APPLICATION WILL TAKE PRIORITY OVER THE NEW STATION APPLICATION. THIS STA DURATION IS EXPECTED ONLY TO BE NEEDED UNTIL THE DISPLACEMENT APPLICATION CP IS GRANTED. ALSO ATTACHED IS AN RF EXPOSURE ANALYSIS INDICATING NO RF EXPOSURE HAZARD IS CREATED. HOWEVER, K38LE WILL REDUCE POWER AND TAKE WHATEVER MEASURES ARE NECESSARY TO ELIMINATE ANY RF EXPOSURE HAZARD SHOULD ANY BE FOUND.
post #3225 of 3373 Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Folks, you are mixing up two different stations.

K38LE-D is the Iowa PBS station in Lansing, IA. That is the one that has already filed to move to 39.

K38NN-D is the Three Angels Broadcasting station in Rochester, MN.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #3226 of 3373 Old 02-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

you're right....my bad

got the 2 confused.....
post #3227 of 3373 Old 02-19-2012, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Does anyone know of some good places to get a quote to have my home wired with Cat 6?
post #3228 of 3373 Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post

Does anyone know of some good places to get a quote to have my home wired with Cat 6?

Any electrician worth their salt should be able to do that. But in the wireless age, why go to that expense?
post #3229 of 3373 Old 02-20-2012, 07:07 PM

It looks like K58GC (3ABN) has applied for transmitting on 25.

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...=0&facid=67018
post #3230 of 3373 Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenckb View Post

I called Charter about this last night (again) since it bothers me that such specific channels would disappear. The folks in the TV service center were pretty much clueless, especially since I didn't have TV service (as expected, and certainly with good reason). BUT, she transferred me to internet support of all things and the woman there, after talking to her supervisor, said that I should be able to get that channel and they would be sending someone out to the lines to figure it out. I really can't quite understand why they would offer to do anything of the sort unless they did something just specifically to my reception recently.

Its been a few weeks now and no fix. However, I think I have been able to determine my problem. I called an engineer at a local PBS station and asked if they knew anything about their stations not coming through in the clear. He said that he had, indeed, heard about this and suggested that it was due to interference in the junction box (probably on the pole, not on my house). I suppose this would only make sense if all of the PBS channels (both TPT and KSMQ) were moved from one channel to another (I think they used to be on 84, someone said they are now on 77 although silicondust still reports 84). At this point, I am almost seeking an explanation more than a solution. If indeed these are not being filtered there must be something like interference preventing them from reaching me. According to the engineer, only the newest QAM tuners may not be affected by this (I have an LG 50pv450).

To boot, I have a buddy with the same problem but on a different side of town. It seems odd to me that the same interference would exist in two locales, but maybe?
post #3231 of 3373 Old 02-25-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runch Machine View Post

With the AM21 you can tune to sub channels and record them. Guide data is there as well. The issue sometimes comes with getting DIRECTV to add the sub channels, but once they do it works the same as with any other channel.

Can anyone confirm that 47.2 and 6.2 are both not added to the guide? And whom do I contact to get them added?
post #3232 of 3373 Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

they are not listed per a D* spreadsheet

getting them added? Good luck. Directv kinda stopped adding stations to the list. If you have a HR34 you can scan for them but the other models you can't
post #3233 of 3373 Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this stuff, but I would like to learn. I'm tired of paying for cable and its nice out (won't spend as much time watching tv), so I figured I would give OTA a try. I live in West Salem, WI and would like to make an informed decision about how to pick out a setup that will work for me. I also posted in the La Crosse forum, but figured I would try here as well.

I don't really want to put an antenna on the roof, but may consider it in the future. So, I guess I'm looking for recommendations on indoor antennas or attic mounted antennas. I'm guessing that attic mounts would allow me to tie all of my current tv's together?

Let me know what you all think. Thanks!
post #3234 of 3373 Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM

Hey Massey16

I guess the first thing to look at is: what kind of siding do you have on your house?

Believe it or not, the siding can cause issues with digital reception for indoor antennas. Metal siding and aluminum siding can be very problematic. Got that kind of siding and the idea of an indoor antenna kinda gets squashed. At that point, house-mounted antennas are the next option to look at (IMHO) since you don't want to go on the roof.

Another very important factor is your terrain. If you're in a valley or there's a large object between you and the broadcast antenna then you're gonna have problems.

(Fellow thread users - correct me if I'm wrong?)
post #3235 of 3373 Old 03-21-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massey16 View Post

I don't really want to put an antenna on the roof, but may consider it in the future. So, I guess I'm looking for recommendations on indoor antennas or attic mounted antennas. I'm guessing that attic mounts would allow me to tie all of my current tv's together?

I think you will be disappointed with the results of anything less than an antenna on the roof. The stations in your market are spread over a large geographic area, and you would likely need a rotor as well. WKBT is on hi-VHF, which means that you're going to need a quite large antenna for that.

If you are insistent on trying an attic antenna, you could go with a Channel Master 4228 combined with an AntennasDirect ClearStream5 for VHF (last I checked, nobody had picked up the ClearStream5 I am giving away - if you want it, PM me for my address and I'll verify it's still there and you could pick it up for the cost of gas to Roch.) You'll likely need a rotor for the 4228. You may also want a preamp like the Winegard AP-8780.

Have you plugged your address into TVFool to see which directions you need to cover and how weak or strong the signals are predicted to be?
post #3236 of 3373 Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I beg to differ. According to antennaweb.org, West Salem, WI is about 17 miles from the transmitters. They are South West of that town. Though CBS is not the same same direction as the others, it's on Channel 8 and not that far off angle from the others. My recommendation is to try a Terk HDTVi indoor antenna. He's close enough that it should work or at least be worth a try. Check amazon.com. For $30 and free shipping it's worth a try. http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technolog...2333452&sr=8-1 Massey, go to antennaweb.org and put your complete address in to get the details of your specific location.
post #3237 of 3373 Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 AM

Thanks for all of the replies!

cjopp - I have vinyl siding on the house. I can put up a tower on the roof or I also have a utility shed that I can place one on. I just didn't want to do that if I wasn't going to get any more/different channels.

sregener - Thanks for the offer! We'll have to see where we end up here.

Runch Machine - That antenna looks like it might do the job. I have four (4) tvs all connected to cable right now. Would I need to get one of those for each tv?

I have attached the maps from TVFool and AntennaWeb. It looks like I will be able to get a fair number of channels without too much effort. It would be nice to be able to pick up NBC as well, but I can live without it if it will be a giant hassle. Is an indoor antenna going to do the trick?

Also, what would it take to pick up the Fox station from MN instead of WI. I'm a displaced Vikings fan from NW MN and it annoys the heck outta me that I always get the Packers instead of the Vikes!

Thanks again for all of the help! I figured it's better to do it the right way the first time!

Print - AntennaWeb - Stations.pdf 360.8583984375k . file

TVFool Map.doc 79.3994140625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: doc TVFool Map.doc (79.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf Print - AntennaWeb - Stations.pdf (360.9 KB, 22 views)
post #3238 of 3373 Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For multiple TVs, your best option is to put an antenna in the attic, on the side of the house, or on the roof and try to use the wiring that is already there for cable TV to connect the antenna with all of your TVs.

Your stations are close enough that any antenna claiming reception of at least 30 miles should work. Be sure, however, to get something that explicitly says it will work with both with UHF and VHF stations. There are a lot of so-called "digital" antennas out there that are designed only for UHF stations. I'd start out with a non-amplified antenna first. An amplifier can be purchased and added later if there is a need.

Though less powerful than the other stations a similar distance away, the station on channel 50 on your TVFool report rebroadcasts KTTC, so if you can receive this station, you will get NBC. It sounds like getting NBC by way of WEAU isn't a big concern for you, which is good, since receiving that station at your location would most likely require a large rooftop antenna.

As with essentially all of the stations listed in gray on your TVFool report, no antenna you get would give you a chance of being able to regularly tune in a Fox station from Minnesota. Those stations with the word "tropo" in their listing on the TVFool report are there, for the most part, to let you know which stations might be receivable when certain uncommon atmospheric conditions are present. In short, these stations should not be considered ones that will always come in at your location.
post #3239 of 3373 Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For 4 TVs, an outside antenna would be more reliable. There are some smaller antennas available that don't take up nearly as much room because no stations in this area broadcats below channel 7. I've had great results from this one: http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751R-Ou...2378585&sr=1-5 You can connect the output to a 4 way splitter, which may already be the way cable is split between your existing TVs. It comes with a pole that easily mounts to the side of your home or your roof.
post #3240 of 3373 Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runch Machine View Post

My recommendation is to try a Terk HDTVi indoor antenna. He's close enough that it should work or at least be worth a try. Check amazon.com. For $30 and free shipping it's worth a try.

I've used the Terk HDTVi successfully in two different installations here in Mason City, where the farthest transmitters are about 50 miles away. (It's the only workable indoor antenna that I've ever had.)

However, indoor antennas are very tricky when it comes to positioning. If it doesn't work sitting next to the TV, you may have to put it somewhere else (hopefully by a window facing the transmitters) and run a longer cable or even move furniture to find something to set it on. Also, VHF is tough with this antenna. (It would be better on an upper floor.) Even so, at $30 you won't be losing much by trying.

For multiple TVs, you may need a distribution amp and a splitter. You can get these at Wal-Mart, Target, Radio Shack, and other such stores. (This type of amp may also be useful with a roof/attic antenna.)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page