Rochester, MN - HDTV - Page 111 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #3301 of 3373 Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can anyone help me pick out an antennae solution? I live on Ridgeview Dr NW.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1dda2cba69021f

http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?Address=5361+Ridgeview+Drive+Northwest&City=Rochester&State=MN&ZIP=55901&Housing=S&Accuracy=8&Height=6&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=44.091796&Lon=-92.54583
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3373 Old 05-09-2013, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Bump
post #3303 of 3373 Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting over the air reception tonight. In Rochester, I'm receiving WTMJ, KWWL, WISN, WMTV, WKOW, and WBME from Dubuque, Madison, and Milwaukee.

Like old times !
post #3304 of 3373 Old 08-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
More tropo last night (8/28). Wausau, Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee. WAOW was overpowering KMSP. WYOW was coming in also. Even WNMU from Marquette, first time for me. Propagation map at http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ was really lit up. Hopefully WXOW from La Crosse won't be knocked off the air tonight during the last Packers pre-season game...
post #3305 of 3373 Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Newspaper Q&A article follows-up on KTTC's microwave signal issue:

Answer Man: Mayo Clinic project will keep microwave issue cooking
Post-Bulletin
Rochester, MN
December 4, 2013
Page A2

"Dear Answer Man, a while back, you wrote about KTTC having some microwave transmission issues due to the construction cranes atop Saint Marys Hospital — the signal would get a little fritzy for an instant when the cranes turned a certain way. Did that ever get resolved, and now that Mayo has decided to keep the cranes going and add more floors to the Mary Brigh East building, will that be a continuing problem?

Very good question, and this reader gets extra points for asking such a timely question. Mayo just announced its plans for Saint Marys on Monday.

KTTC News Director Noel Sederstrom responded by email and says, "As far as the microwave trouble — yes, we're still having trouble, and we have come up with no solution as of yet."

I have to say, I watch more than my share of KTTC, and I haven't seen any on-air impact."
post #3306 of 3373 Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 AM

Shades of WHO radio...when the 801 Grand building in Des Moines was topped out some 25 years ago, engineers discovered that the then new building was smack in the middle of the microwave path to the Mitchellville transmitter

www.therenegaderoadhouse.co Southern rock, pop and country favorites play here!
post #3307 of 3373 Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 PM

After yesterdays news (http://www.kttc.com/story/26539984/2...arter-contract) I heard a bit of antenna talk at work today. Some people using analog and/or clear QAM cable are not so keen on paying $8 or so dollars extra per tv per month. Wonder if this form will wake back up?

My parents live in the St. Louis area. There Charter all ready had the digital transition. My dad complained plenty to me about all the cable boxes he had to rent. When Charter goes all digital they also use the opportunity to start encription of all the clear QAM (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and PBS type channels). Pretty slick move if you are the cable company. They can pretend the encryption is forced by the digital transition when it is not. It is really just a way to force basic cable subscribers owning TVs with QAM tuners to pay a cable box rental fee per TV.

I don't have charter TV. However, I was thinking about possible money saving solutions for my dad. In the end I decided I already do too much technical support when I visit my parents. I didn't really want to add another thing to the list. However, I figure I'd mention the idea here in case anyone wants to investigate the idea themselves. Basically you make a homebrew whole house dvr. Here is some of the email I sent to my parents and my 2 uncles (that are more technically savvy). I'll should note I have personal experience with mythtv, lirc, the hdhomerun (non-prime version), and xbmc. However, I've never played with the Raspberry Pi. Maybe I should put one on my Christmas list.

For every tv buy a Raspberry Pi (Model B is probably the best bet.).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
and install xbmc. This will drive the tv picture by way of hdmi.

reading
http://lifehacker.com/raspberry-pi-x...nel-1394239600

I would go with OpenELEC or Raspbmc distribution.

You will also want usb wireless adaptors for each pi. However, if wired Ethernet is near by I would use that. I'm unsure how many simultaneous hdtv streams wireless is able to handle. That's something to research.

You could use a cell phone app for the remote or buy a ir reviver to plug into the Raspberry Pi and run lirc. Here is an example for the lirc setup.
http://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-i...enter/overview

If you go with the lirc setup, deciding on what to do for each remote might involve the most thinking.

1) If your present tv remote is a universal remote you could repurpose one of the other modes for xbmc control thru lirc. This would be very nice but it would involve a custom lirc config for every remote. You could still make the file (lircd.conf) common across all the Pi computers. Every remote in the file would would be a valid control. If some tvs are in the same ir range you might need to customize the files to prevent undesired simultaneous control of 2 Pi computers.

2) Buy a bunch of the same cheap universal remote. This might simplify the lirc remote config but assuming you also use the universal remote to turn your tv on and off you better mark the remotes so you don't get them mixed up between tvs.

Then you will need a cable card (from charter) and one hdhomerun (prime version)
http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

You will also need one computer to run mythtv (backend). I recommend a dedicated one to keep it simple. Mythbuntu is a good distribution for this.
http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Here is the main idea. The mythtv backend will record tv streams from the hd homerun to its hard drive. Then it will be able to stream the videos (live or prerecorded) to any requesting Raspberry Pi. With this setup you will no longer need to rent any cable boxes or dvrs from the cable company. You will only need to rent the cable card that will plug in to the hd homerun. You will have dvr functionality on every tv in your house.
post #3308 of 3373 Old 09-22-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This thread has been quiet for a long time now.

Questions:
1) is there a Rochester, MN thread for cable/Charter?

2) does Charter still have clear QAM channels? (Silicon Dust used to include them, but now it only lists the OTA channels).

3) I'm not a Charter customer, but am shopping for internet, and might be one in the future. My only info comes from the PB, so I don't have a thorough understanding of the upcoming changes. Are they dumping the analog only, or are they encrypting the clear QAM?
post #3309 of 3373 Old 09-22-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
1)Yes. You're on it. Rochester doesn't have separate OTA and cable threads like some big markets.

2)Last I know they did (I currently live in the Cities, with Century Link DSL and OTA). They pass local channels, unencrypted and bit-for-bit the same as the OTA feed. You could also get a few random other channels unencrypted too (C-SPAN, TBN, etc.). Last I knew (have a friend who used to work for Charter), they were looking to phase out analog completely and go with a hybrid "switched digital" system where common channels like locals would be on fixed allotments, while minor networks and on demand would be sent over empty allotments (specific to your node - neighborhood) as cable boxes requested.

3)Charter Internet is a pretty good deal. The modem is included and they run DOCSIS 3 on an 8 download ch./2 upload ch. configuration. IIRC, ping to google was like 40ms and download was darn near 40mb/s. Since they moved to DOCSIS 3, I haven't experienced any peak-usage speed variation. If you can get higher speed Century Link service (30/4 I think it is), you may want to consider that to save some $. However, I'd go cable if their higher speed level isn't available.

With the exception of KYIN 24 (PBS Mason City), all local OTA stations are pretty easy to receive. A small attic-mounted antenna is probably all you'd need to get a solid lock.

Last edited by mattdp; 09-22-2014 at 03:11 PM.
post #3310 of 3373 Old 09-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

I had always assumed this thread was OTA only, but it makes sense to include Charter since there's no other option in this market.

Plugging in my address with Century Link, the max they offer me is 7MB down, which is better than the 1.5MB I've been living with, but obviously I gain nothing in terms of (free) television.

So if I can still get any TV in the clear from Charter, I think I would start with them, at least until the rates rise after a year or two.

The PB mentioned that Charter is phasing out some aspect of their service:

Quote:
Charter's director of government affairs, LeeAnn Herrera, told the Rochester City Council members the company's digital conversion efforts will mean all customers need to rent a converter box before Oct. 14 in order to watch any channels.

A converter box will be needed for each television connected to cable, meaning sets that can pick up a limited lineup today will only see static after the switch.
So I'm still curious whether this simply means that there is NO more analog, or if the clear QAM will now be encrypted and require box rentals (even if a TV has a QAM tuner).

Thanks again for the input!
--------------------

As for OTA, I'm more familiar in that area, thanks in part to the knowledge offered here (and lots of trial/error, more of the latter). Eventually I will set something up. My main goal will be receive the LaCrosse stations -- not a Packer fan, but I like to get an extra game every now and then.
post #3311 of 3373 Old 09-22-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
When a Charter system goes "all-digital," clear QAM goes away too as everything gets encrypted. Looks like October 14 is the date of the conversion there (tomorrow is our date up here in Brainerd); after then, you will have to rent equipment from Charter to view any TV.
post #3312 of 3373 Old 09-22-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post
When a Charter system goes "all-digital," clear QAM goes away too as everything gets encrypted. Looks like October 14 is the date of the conversion there (tomorrow is our date up here in Brainerd); after then, you will have to rent equipment from Charter to view any TV.
Boooo!

Thanks for the clarification.
post #3313 of 3373 Old 09-22-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

agus0103 - thanks for the info! IIRC, the FCC dropped the requirement for clear QAM a while ago.

Just for the heck of it, do you want to post a TVFool.com report to see how practical LAX is or isn't?

Last edited by mattdp; 09-22-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #3314 of 3373 Old 09-22-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
the FCC dropped the requirement for clear QAM a while ago.
Yes, but for whatever reason Charter in Rochester maintained their clear QAM much longer than Charter in other areas. Alas, that good thing is coming to an end, just as I'm about to pay for cable. I have a feeling I will tire of that bill quickly (I have opted for Charter for now, at least to buy some time to get OTA configured.) Then, possibly, DSL.

Quote:
Just for the heck of it, do you want to post a TVFool.com report to see how practical LAX is or isn't?
I'm moving to the eastern edge of Country Club Manor, and have very good line-of-sight both east and north (but hill to the south). I will probably put up a 91XG/YA-1713 outside, at least initially. That's what I've used at my current location, and I've been very satisfied. I'll follow up, once I've actually done some of this work. For now, my actual work demands my attention. Moving is such a pain...

Glad to see this thread is not dead.

Thanks again.
post #3315 of 3373 Old 09-22-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

That's about the best dual antenna setup there is. What are you getting now? Slap a rotor/preamp on it and you should be golden. I had good luck with the RCA TVPRAMP1 (available for <$30 at Menards or Fleet Farm), which (per actual bench testing) has the performance of the better CM/Winegard models.

I knew some people who had a Channel Master Quantum 1162, rotor and cartridge preamp on their house in Country Club Manor. Analog TC channels were perfect.
post #3316 of 3373 Old 09-27-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Could someone tell me what Charter is charging for basic cable and what their per box fee is?
post #3317 of 3373 Old 09-30-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Could someone tell me what Charter is charging for basic cable and what their per box fee is?
Since I'm a new customer, I signed up for the triple play and so can't say what the cost is for basic cable only. The per box fee is $6.99, for the basic box. Believe $10 more per month for a DVR box.
post #3318 of 3373 Old 10-09-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintyg View Post
Since I'm a new customer, I signed up for the triple play and so can't say what the cost is for basic cable only. The per box fee is $6.99, for the basic box. Believe $10 more per month for a DVR box.
The per box fee is the same, it costs $20 per month for DVR service on up to 4 boxes.
post #3319 of 3373 Old 10-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Liked: 0
Could anybody comment or recommend anyone that could install antennas in the Rochester area? I am not a super handy guy, nor good w/ ladders and running cable. I would however be able to pay somebody for that service! Would rather trust somebodies opinion in the forum than trying to use yellow pages, etc. Thanks for any and all help!
post #3320 of 3373 Old 10-17-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaka Jones View Post
Could anybody comment or recommend anyone that could install antennas in the Rochester area?
I can't recommend anyone that I know personally, but I think you've come to the right place for help and advice (despite the relative quiet on this topic page over the past year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaka Jones View Post
I am not a super handy guy, nor good w/ ladders and running cable. I would however be able to pay somebody for that service!
You don't have to be handy, necessarily, to get Over-the-air TV functioning, but some circumstances can be challenging. The channels you want to receive and your location (both broadly [how far you are from the transmitters] and more narrowly [how hills/trees affect reception in your immediate neighborhood]) can have a huge impact on whether receiving those channels is simple or challenging.

If your house has had cable, or otherwise has coax run inside the house, that more difficult part of cabling might be done already and can be re-used.

Having said all this, keep checking back for whether someone else CAN provide you a recommendation. Similarly, feel free to ask more questions about your specific situation and someone can advise about just how difficult your particular case might be.

Finally, if you don't get any good recommendations here, post the question on the MSP OTA topic page which has been more active lately.
post #3321 of 3373 Old 10-17-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

It used to be that Rochester had two antenna installers: Norman Communications (installing Delhi/Jerrod/Wade) and G & S Antenna Byron (installing Winegard). Norman went under ~10 yrs ago and I think G&S hung it up like 3yrs ago. There's now a Campion Antenna in Byron. I would assume they're somehow related to G & S, so I would presume they install Winegard equipment. http://www.campionantenna.com/

Want to post your TVFool.com results or tell us relatively where you are in town? That would give a good idea what you can get. You may be able to get by with an attic install.
post #3322 of 3373 Old 10-18-2014, 01:43 PM

Wow, thanks mattdp and clintyg for the super fast reply. I am just sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you! I guess it's the weekend. Okay, so went to tvfool and got a picture of what would work in my neck of the woods. I would think I would want a rooftop model antenna, bc it would be easier to run the coax throughout the house for me (roof mount to junction box of all cable runs in the house) If I had an attic solution it would be tougher to run lines to either the junction box that I can easily access, or to the 2 Tv's that I have been using for clear QAM stations I used to get from charter (I only have internet through them)

I am the type of person that can't take a weekend to install and tinker with an antenna system/setup, and would just rather pay somebody to install, finetune and troubleshoot an antenna solution for my particular needs. And if I did have the time, the wife could definitely find something else for me to be doing than goofing around w/ electronics! Thanks for keeping the dialogue open, and I would love to hear more about my situation. This thread might be getting more active now that charter has finally went all digital, and more and more people will be looking for antenna solutions, or just going w/ directv or something similar. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All.png
Views:	31
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	318586  
post #3323 of 3373 Old 10-19-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

KIMT and KYIN are on the weak side. I would go with a Solid Signal HDB91x UHF antenna aimed straight at 3/24 and an a Antennacraft Y-5-7-3 VHF-Hi aimed at KTTC, fed into an RCA TVPRAMP1R (separate VHF/UHF inputs of course, FM trap on).

Digital-only Charter may be a tipping point, but the overall cord cutting trend seems only to be gaining momentum. As such, I'm actively considering getting into the antenna installation field.
post #3324 of 3373 Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
KIMT and KYIN are on the weak side. I would go with a Solid Signal HDB91x UHF antenna aimed straight at 3/24 and an a Antennacraft Y-5-7-3 VHF-Hi aimed at KTTC, fed into an RCA TVPRAMP1R (separate VHF/UHF inputs of course, FM trap on).
Yeah, that quote is the main reason I am having someone install for me! I could google all that and figure out what your talking about, or I could just take your word for it mattdp! haha I probably will still google just for the heck of it if I have time. Thanks for the input.

I would probably want to pick up KIMT, since I have family in Iowa, and that was the last CBS station we had before charter switched. I have an email out to Campion Antenna, waiting for reply/call. Thanks for all the help, and anymore input or comments would still be appreciated. Thanks mattdp for the recommendation, even if I didn't know what you were talking about! (no need to explain, I will figure it out eventually)
post #3325 of 3373 Old 10-20-2014, 11:08 AM

I too am ready to cut ties with Charter TV. Currently just a Basic cable subscriber, so only really need those OTA channels. Intersted in Austin ABC, Mason City CBS, Rochester NBC and Fox as well as Austin PBS. Another big goal, is in doing this, is to pick out the right antenna to get the LaCrosse channel, 25.1 in order to watch a bit more football during the regular season.. I am in NW Rochester,. I used dennysantennaservice.com to find a decent looking Stacker HD antenna, but curious if anyone else in NW Rochester might have a different / better solution to do what I want to do. Assume roof top installation to get LaCrosse.. Antenna runs around $130. With Rotor, AMP, cables, install parts, tri pod or J bar.. runs around $400. Since I want to rotate between football and local channels.. thinking rotor is the way to go.. Too old to be climbing on the roof to move the antenna every weekend...

Installation question. Is it pretty typical, or required, to go into the attic and put in some support 2x4s to mount the antenna support in to ? or is there a trick to just hit the rafters ? I cannot imagine the antenna I want would be supported in the wind by just screwing it down to the roof top, willy nilly.

Thanks.. nervously considering doing it myself, but can easily be talked out of it by anyone who tried and failed..
post #3326 of 3373 Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

While the stacker is an ok antenna, a solid signal HDB91X and an Antennacraft Y-10-7-13 together would be a much better combo for less $. Lax would definitely require a preamp, such as the RCA TVPRAMP1. In my research, I've found that as of late, people are having nothing but issues with Channel Master and RCA rotors (DOA, plastic gears shredding, etc.).

You can string up an antennta up in the rafters, use a satelite j-pole or the like. Most ant's are pretty lightweight.

Want to post a TVFool.com report?
post #3327 of 3373 Old 10-20-2014, 12:10 PM

here is my fool report..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna info.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	321625  
post #3328 of 3373 Old 10-20-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

No way you're getting 25. Rochester ch's look good though
post #3329 of 3373 Old 10-20-2014, 01:28 PM

Interesting.. I have a friend in Oronocco who gets LAX pretty good, and another friend with an ATTIC antenna getting LAX as well. I need to punch their addresses into that fool tool and see if their chart reads anywhere near the same on the colors.. Kind of makes me not want to do this if there is NO chance of getting LAX.. and yes, i would be getting as big as an AMP as the antenna would handle.. I guess I can try it, and if it doesnt work, just send it all back.. or just give in and be happy with what I do get.. Knocking $18 a month off the charter bill might be worth it...

Thanks for your comments..
post #3330 of 3373 Old 10-20-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Up on the plains it's pretty easy to receive LAX, Eau Clare and Twin Cities. Depending where you are in Rochester, you could be 200+ ft down from "plain." You're basically guaranteed reception on all the Rochester stations though. I wouldn't guarantee anything that's not in Red.

Antenna preamplification serves one purpose: to overcome the loss of cabling, splitters and (a very small amount of) internal tuner noise. Unless you have 8+ TVs on the system, a preamplifier will put you at a higher level than what came off the antenna. Adding another amplifier practically only serves to make the signal-to-noise ratio worse (all amplifiers add noise).

Last edited by mattdp; 10-20-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page