Rochester, MN - HDTV - Page 111 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3301 of 3316 Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can anyone help me pick out an antennae solution? I live on Ridgeview Dr NW.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1dda2cba69021f

http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?Address=5361+Ridgeview+Drive+Northwest&City=Rochester&State=MN&ZIP=55901&Housing=S&Accuracy=8&Height=6&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=44.091796&Lon=-92.54583
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3316 Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Bump
post #3303 of 3316 Old 07-13-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting over the air reception tonight. In Rochester, I'm receiving WTMJ, KWWL, WISN, WMTV, WKOW, and WBME from Dubuque, Madison, and Milwaukee.

Like old times !
post #3304 of 3316 Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
More tropo last night (8/28). Wausau, Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee. WAOW was overpowering KMSP. WYOW was coming in also. Even WNMU from Marquette, first time for me. Propagation map at http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ was really lit up. Hopefully WXOW from La Crosse won't be knocked off the air tonight during the last Packers pre-season game...
post #3305 of 3316 Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 AM

Newspaper Q&A article follows-up on KTTC's microwave signal issue:

Answer Man: Mayo Clinic project will keep microwave issue cooking
Post-Bulletin
Rochester, MN
December 4, 2013
Page A2

"Dear Answer Man, a while back, you wrote about KTTC having some microwave transmission issues due to the construction cranes atop Saint Marys Hospital — the signal would get a little fritzy for an instant when the cranes turned a certain way. Did that ever get resolved, and now that Mayo has decided to keep the cranes going and add more floors to the Mary Brigh East building, will that be a continuing problem?

Very good question, and this reader gets extra points for asking such a timely question. Mayo just announced its plans for Saint Marys on Monday.

KTTC News Director Noel Sederstrom responded by email and says, "As far as the microwave trouble — yes, we're still having trouble, and we have come up with no solution as of yet."

I have to say, I watch more than my share of KTTC, and I haven't seen any on-air impact."
post #3306 of 3316 Old 12-10-2013, 12:21 AM

Shades of WHO radio...when the 801 Grand building in Des Moines was topped out some 25 years ago, engineers discovered that the then new building was smack in the middle of the microwave path to the Mitchellville transmitter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Southern rock, pop and country favorites play here!
post #3307 of 3316 Old 09-22-2014, 11:34 AM

This thread has been quiet for a long time now.

Questions:
1) is there a Rochester, MN thread for cable/Charter?

2) does Charter still have clear QAM channels? (Silicon Dust used to include them, but now it only lists the OTA channels).

3) I'm not a Charter customer, but am shopping for internet, and might be one in the future. My only info comes from the PB, so I don't have a thorough understanding of the upcoming changes. Are they dumping the analog only, or are they encrypting the clear QAM?
post #3308 of 3316 Old 09-22-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
1)Yes. You're on it. Rochester doesn't have separate OTA and cable threads like some big markets.

2)Last I know they did (I currently live in the Cities, with Century Link DSL and OTA). They pass local channels, unencrypted and bit-for-bit the same as the OTA feed. You could also get a few random other channels unencrypted too (C-SPAN, TBN, etc.). Last I knew (have a friend who used to work for Charter), they were looking to phase out analog completely and go with a hybrid "switched digital" system where common channels like locals would be on fixed allotments, while minor networks and on demand would be sent over empty allotments (specific to your node - neighborhood) as cable boxes requested.

3)Charter Internet is a pretty good deal. The modem is included and they run DOCSIS 3 on an 8 download ch./2 upload ch. configuration. IIRC, ping to google was like 40ms and download was darn near 40mb/s. Since they moved to DOCSIS 3, I haven't experienced any peak-usage speed variation. If you can get higher speed Century Link service (30/4 I think it is), you may want to consider that to save some $. However, I'd go cable if their higher speed level isn't available.

With the exception of KYIN 24 (PBS Mason City), all local OTA stations are pretty easy to receive. A small attic-mounted antenna is probably all you'd need to get a solid lock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tech 55901. Tech news for Rochester. Authored by mattdp and gjvrieze.

Last edited by mattdp; 09-22-2014 at 02:11 PM.
post #3309 of 3316 Old 09-22-2014, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

I had always assumed this thread was OTA only, but it makes sense to include Charter since there's no other option in this market.

Plugging in my address with Century Link, the max they offer me is 7MB down, which is better than the 1.5MB I've been living with, but obviously I gain nothing in terms of (free) television.

So if I can still get any TV in the clear from Charter, I think I would start with them, at least until the rates rise after a year or two.

The PB mentioned that Charter is phasing out some aspect of their service:

Quote:
Charter's director of government affairs, LeeAnn Herrera, told the Rochester City Council members the company's digital conversion efforts will mean all customers need to rent a converter box before Oct. 14 in order to watch any channels.

A converter box will be needed for each television connected to cable, meaning sets that can pick up a limited lineup today will only see static after the switch.
So I'm still curious whether this simply means that there is NO more analog, or if the clear QAM will now be encrypted and require box rentals (even if a TV has a QAM tuner).

Thanks again for the input!
--------------------

As for OTA, I'm more familiar in that area, thanks in part to the knowledge offered here (and lots of trial/error, more of the latter). Eventually I will set something up. My main goal will be receive the LaCrosse stations -- not a Packer fan, but I like to get an extra game every now and then.
post #3310 of 3316 Old 09-22-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
When a Charter system goes "all-digital," clear QAM goes away too as everything gets encrypted. Looks like October 14 is the date of the conversion there (tomorrow is our date up here in Brainerd); after then, you will have to rent equipment from Charter to view any TV.
post #3311 of 3316 Old 09-22-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post
When a Charter system goes "all-digital," clear QAM goes away too as everything gets encrypted. Looks like October 14 is the date of the conversion there (tomorrow is our date up here in Brainerd); after then, you will have to rent equipment from Charter to view any TV.
Boooo!

Thanks for the clarification.
post #3312 of 3316 Old 09-22-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

agus0103 - thanks for the info! IIRC, the FCC dropped the requirement for clear QAM a while ago.

Just for the heck of it, do you want to post a TVFool.com report to see how practical LAX is or isn't?

Last edited by mattdp; 09-22-2014 at 03:57 PM.
post #3313 of 3316 Old 09-22-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
the FCC dropped the requirement for clear QAM a while ago.
Yes, but for whatever reason Charter in Rochester maintained their clear QAM much longer than Charter in other areas. Alas, that good thing is coming to an end, just as I'm about to pay for cable. I have a feeling I will tire of that bill quickly (I have opted for Charter for now, at least to buy some time to get OTA configured.) Then, possibly, DSL.

Quote:
Just for the heck of it, do you want to post a TVFool.com report to see how practical LAX is or isn't?
I'm moving to the eastern edge of Country Club Manor, and have very good line-of-sight both east and north (but hill to the south). I will probably put up a 91XG/YA-1713 outside, at least initially. That's what I've used at my current location, and I've been very satisfied. I'll follow up, once I've actually done some of this work. For now, my actual work demands my attention. Moving is such a pain...

Glad to see this thread is not dead.

Thanks again.
post #3314 of 3316 Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

That's about the best dual antenna setup there is. What are you getting now? Slap a rotor/preamp on it and you should be golden. I had good luck with the RCA TVPRAMP1 (available for <$30 at Menards or Fleet Farm), which (per actual bench testing) has the performance of the better CM/Winegard models.

I knew some people who had a Channel Master Quantum 1162, rotor and cartridge preamp on their house in Country Club Manor. Analog TC channels were perfect.

post #3315 of 3316 Old 09-27-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Could someone tell me what Charter is charging for basic cable and what their per box fee is?

post #3316 of 3316 Old Today, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
Could someone tell me what Charter is charging for basic cable and what their per box fee is?
Since I'm a new customer, I signed up for the triple play and so can't say what the cost is for basic cable only. The per box fee is $6.99, for the basic box. Believe $10 more per month for a DVR box.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page