Rochester, MN - HDTV - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 3336 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My elevation is 1,104 feet... a bit higher than LaCrosse, WI.. but dont really see anywhere, where it tells me if that elevation will pick up certain channels. I get the feeling I really need to just try it.. and see.. to find out one way or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3336 Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

My elevation is 1,014 feet... a bit higher than LaCrosse, WI.. but dont really see anywhere, where it tells me if that elevation will pick up certain channels. I get the feeling I really need to just try it.. and see.. to find out one way or the other.
post #3333 of 3336 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Liked: 10
Elevation of your location and the intervening terrain matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgaskell View Post
My elevation is 1,014 feet... a bit higher than LaCrosse, WI.. but dont really see anywhere, where it tells me if that elevation will pick up certain channels. I get the feeling I really need to just try it.. and see.. to find out one way or the other.
My home is in west Rochester up on the hill (1,130 feet) above the gravel pit you pass when you approach town from the west. TVFool says I'm 1.7 miles farther from the LAX Fox transmitter than you, and my signal strength of the LAX Fox (channel 17) is shown to be 24 dB stronger than yours. No doubt the 116 ft difference in elevation makes the difference. 'sorry to say this, but don't get your hopes up too much.
post #3334 of 3336 Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF8270 View Post
My home is in west Rochester up on the hill (1,130 feet) above the gravel pit you pass when you approach town from the west. TVFool says I'm 1.7 miles farther from the LAX Fox transmitter than you, and my signal strength of the LAX Fox (channel 17) is shown to be 24 dB stronger than yours. No doubt the 116 ft difference in elevation makes the difference. 'sorry to say this, but don't get your hopes up too much.
May I ask what kind of antenna you have ?
how it is mounted - tri pod vs J bar ?
where it is mounted ? roof top vs attic..
use of AMP, pre AMP or whatever else might affect reception..

THanks for sharing and the heads up on lowering my expectations.. unfortunately, bleakness is setting in...
post #3335 of 3336 Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What matters is not really your elevation, but local obstructions blocking the signal. I would assume the Assisi Heights ridge is in line with LaCrosse.

In case you wanted to know the gory technical details of diffraction:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/siting.html

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/sizing.html
post #3336 of 3336 Old Today, 06:18 AM

Thanks Mattdp.. a lot of interesting reading there. I will start researching rotators and the type of base I want.. tri pod vs j bar.. etc , best deals on RG6 cable..how much I need.. amps and splitters... and form a plan. I have watched enough DIY install videos that "maybe" I am willing to tackle this thing myself.. I may call a local place for an estimate.. just to compare. Glad ai happened across this forum, and should i venture into the land of antenna owner, I will be sure to post my results... but will continue to gather data from anyone willing to share..
Thanks
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page