2Likes

post #3361 of 3373 Old 10-30-2014, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
I don't want to discourage anyone from cutting the cord. I'm just trying to be realistic here. TVFool results are usually pretty accurate. If you go and read the documentation on their site, you'll find signals below red are generally too weak to be received. Thus reading your report, you could get all Rochester/Austin/Mason City station and WKBT 8, although some of the lower signal stations in that list may require outdoor mounting.

Just for the heck of it, could you post a TVFool report for an elevation of 35ft and another at 70ft - just to see what it would do to signal levels?

According to the report, you have stronger signal from Eau Clare's WEUX (49/48.1) than you do from WLAX. But both are extremely weak.

Honestly, I would go with a single VHF antenna and a single UHF antenna (the models you posted). The RCA TVPRAMP1R is desirable because of the separate VHF and UHF inputs (it's actually a clone of the [discontinued?] Channel Master 7777). When you get everything, try aiming at WKBT, WEAU and WLAX to see what you get, then get it set up for Rochester.

Combining antennas from different direction is a little bit complex:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/ganging.html

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/merging.html

Ah, good call. I re ran the TVFOOL at 50 feet and 70 feet. Got more Green options, but couldnt get LAX out of the grey.. so probably wasting my time. Will start with one antenna and get it on the roof, and then point it at LAX just to try.. and when that fails, point it toward south to get Rochester and be happy enough with just cutting the Charter cord...

I will check that RCA pre amp you suggested.. I noticed the CM 7777 changed from having UHF and VHF input options, to having just one combined input... not sure what that affects.. Kind of liked how that older model 7777 was set up..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3373 Old 10-31-2014, 05:12 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgaskell View Post
I will check that RCA pre amp you suggested.. I noticed the CM 7777 changed from having UHF and VHF input options, to having just one combined input... not sure what that affects.. Kind of liked how that older model 7777 was set up..
Menards web page lists the RCA preamp as having separate VHF/UHF inputs. The one I got from the South side Menards a few years ago did. Currently $19.48 with the 11% rebate, not as good as last week's sale (20% off), but still a better price than anything online.
post #3363 of 3373 Old 11-01-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used a TVPRAMP1R on an install up in St. Cloud. Attic of a 1 story house a little over 60mi from TC stations and 30 from KPXM. All channels were reliable and the FM trap definitely did something (turn it off and 9/11 would have major breakups). It used to be that decent preamps cost $60+

VHF antenna: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/multibay/hivhf2bayrefl

UHF antenna: http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	344130   Click image for larger version

Name:	UHF.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	344138  
post #3364 of 3373 Old 11-02-2014, 08:09 PM

Liked: 14
Menards has 20% off RCA products again this week (11/2 - 11/8). So TVPRAMP1R is $17.51.

South side Menards was out of stock Sunday (11/2).

I don't remember 20% off sales being repeated so quickly, they are usually months apart.
post #3365 of 3373 Old 11-10-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for Some Advice

I currently have a old Winegard deep fringe UHF/VHF antenna mounted on my roof with a dead rotor and a working channel master pre-amp. (this is the set up I used years ago to pull local and occasionally Twin Cities stations). I've been on satellite for 12+ years and have recently cut the cable. Currently my old setup will pull in 42, 36, 20, 46 pretty well but 10 and 18 are pretty spotty. The listed network affiliates and the 2 PBS Stations are all I am interested in receiving. Can I just get a bow-tie antenna (such as a CM-4228HD or a Terrestrial Digital DB8) and mount it in place of my old Winegard and go without a rotor? My Winegard has gotten a little beat up over the years with snow and ice. I attach my TVfool report.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Home Antenna.png
Views:	18
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	359922  
post #3366 of 3373 Old 11-10-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

So I presume that you don't want anything but Rochester stations then.

Which direction is the antenna pointing? KYIN is a little weak, you so may need to hit it dead on. Could you get us a pic of the antenna - just to see how beat up it is?

The issue with a 4228 or a DB8 is that they're both UHF only antennas. You'd also need a VHF-Hi antenna (like an Antennacraft Y-5-7-13 or Y-10-7-13) for KTTC.
post #3367 of 3373 Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 AM

Looking for Some Advice

Hard to judge exact direction (neither the house or road are lined up in a NS or EW direction) but I started out pointing as directly South as I could judge and inched the antenna around by hand until my Channel Master DVR+ showed a strong signal on all of the Rochester stations.

I was thinking that all I could realistically expect to get for channels are the Rochester stations but if could get more I would be interested to know what I would need to do. Looking at the bow tie antennas I thought I could get away from getting a new rotor and having to fool around dialing in stations since the Rochester stations are fairly close in direction. But I did invest in a digital CM rotor controller before the heavy snow coupled with strong winds last winter twisted my antenna around for awhile and seemed to ruin my rotor and damaged my antenna. So if getting a new rotor is the best solution I will do that.

I include a photo of my Winegard. Been up for 20+ years and it was our weather last winter that damaged it. One of the UHF elements broke off, and others got bend to varying degrees. (maybe all I need is a new rotor and a little antenna repair)

So, given what I have, I just want to change what is needed to get to a solid solution for receiving the Rochester stations (plus others if possible).

thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winegard 111114.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	361194  
post #3368 of 3373 Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

After 20+ years, the outdoor connections may be getting corroded. I’d re-do all of them with compression connectors (like the Palidin Tools ones from Menards). Same with the preamp (internal components such as the electrolytic capacitors have a finite lifespan). An RCA TVPRAMP1R (a clone of the Channel Master 7777) is available for ~$20 from Menards or Fleet Farm. It’s got an FM trap and switchable separate/combined UHF/VHF inputs.

If proper aiming, new connectors and a new preamp doesn’t work, it’s probably time for a new antenna. I’d do a Solid Signal HDB91 UHF antenna aiming straight at KYIN and a an Antennacraft Y-10-7-13 pointing straight at KTTC.

It looks like TC channels are borderline. I'd point in that direction to see what happens, but you may not have super reliable reception of everything. LAX and Eau Clare are too weak to talk about.

post #3369 of 3373 Old 11-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Exactly the help and directions that I needed! thanks
post #3370 of 3373 Old 11-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Question Anyone in Rochester, MN having trouble with K25NK-D (3ABN stations) 58.1-58.7?

Although I'm not a Seventh-Day Adventist like the 3ABN stations affiliate with, I like its Christian outlook and tried to tune in yesterday and today (though I haven't tuned into it in a while prior), and K25NK-D 58.1-58.7 from my area, Rochester, MN, aren't coming in right now. Does anybody else have this problem or know what's going on?
post #3371 of 3373 Old 11-16-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the signal meter show anything? Email them - I emailed them years ago and actually got a prompt reply.
post #3372 of 3373 Old 11-16-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
Does the signal meter show anything? Email them - I emailed them years ago and actually got a prompt reply.
Sent the national 3ABN site an e-mail about the local channel issue. But I would prefer to find the contact info for my local 3ABN stations and contact them, preferably by phone. I can't find their contact info anywhere.
post #3373 of 3373 Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
3ABN's local stations are, for the most part, run by the national 3ABN. K25NK-D is owned by the national 3ABN.

- Trip
unclehonkey likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page