Rochester, MN - HDTV - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3391 of 3400 Old 12-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 28
interesting. Wonder why they are doing that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3400 Old 12-13-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have been reading about outdoor antennas the last couple of days and I am completely confused. I recently moved to Rochester and the house I bought does not have an antenna already installed. If someone is willing to recommend an antenna I would really appreciate it.

My house has a directv dish on the roof that I figured I can remove and use the mounting to setup my new antenna. I am also perfectly fine with buying a rotor and preamp if I need to. I will attach my TVFool report because I saw that it was requested of others in this thread but I really don't understand what it all means.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All.png
Views:	134
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	419969  
post #3393 of 3400 Old 02-12-2015, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
KTTC adding Heroes and Icons as 10-3

Post Bulletin reported that KTTC will add Heroes and Icons to 10-3 on March 1.

Currently shown in the Twin Cities on 5-7, UHF 35, subchannel to KSTP 5-1. (Other 5-x's are KSTC UHF 45)

Ugh. 10-2 going HDTV was bad enough.

10-1 will now be even more bit-starved, sports will be more artifact plagued than they already are.
post #3394 of 3400 Old 02-12-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcards View Post
I have been reading about outdoor antennas the last couple of days and I am completely confused. I recently moved to Rochester and the house I bought does not have an antenna already installed. If someone is willing to recommend an antenna I would really appreciate it.

My house has a directv dish on the roof that I figured I can remove and use the mounting to setup my new antenna. I am also perfectly fine with buying a rotor and preamp if I need to. I will attach my TVFool report because I saw that it was requested of others in this thread but I really don't understand what it all means.
How to read a TVFool report: http://tvfool.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=57

In short - you've got strong signal on all the major networks with the exception of CBS (KIMT).

My equipment recommendations are basically the same as always:
-RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamplifier (~$30 at Fleet Farm, Menards or Amazon)
-Antennacraft Y-5-7-13 VHF-Hi antenna (aimed directly at KTTC) (~$25 on Amazon or Solid Signal)
-Xtreme Signal HDB91X UHF Antenna (aimed directly at KIMT/KYIN) (~$50 Amazon or Solid Signal)

You'll need a compass to properly aim the antennas. Leave about 3ft between VHF-Hi and UHF antennas (UHF on top). Set up the preamp for separate VHF and UHF inputs (also ensure that the FM trap is in).
post #3395 of 3400 Old 02-14-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
My equipment recommendations are basically the same as always:
-RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamplifier (~$30 at Fleet Farm, Menards or Amazon)
On sale at Menards for $18.60 through 2/22. 1 at South store, 4 at North store at the time of this post.
post #3396 of 3400 Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to cut the cord. I live in NE Rochester, just south of Kellogg Middle School. My TVfools report is attached. Hoping to get KTTC, KXLT, KAAL, KSMQ, KIMT, and KYIN. Looking for antenna recommendations. HDB91X and Antennacraft Y-10-7-13 still the way to go? I would like to run to three TVs (TiVo series 3 at each). I don't think any of the runs would be more than 50'. Therefore, would I need the RCA tvpramp1r from menards? Any chance i could get away with an attic install in a two- story? Any assistance would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All_1434073382122.png
Views:	56
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	770945  

Last edited by cpalcott; 06-11-2015 at 07:13 PM.
post #3397 of 3400 Old 06-15-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalcott View Post
Looking to cut the cord. I live in NE Rochester, just south of Kellogg Middle School. My TVfools report is attached. Hoping to get KTTC, KXLT, KAAL, KSMQ, KIMT, and KYIN. Looking for antenna recommendations. HDB91X and Antennacraft Y-10-7-13 still the way to go? I would like to run to three TVs (TiVo series 3 at each). I don't think any of the runs would be more than 50'. Therefore, would I need the RCA tvpramp1r from menards? Any chance i could get away with an attic install in a two- story? Any assistance would be appreciated.
I noticed on the local craigslist http://rmn.craigslist.org/ele/5046098316.html someone is selling what appears to be an HD Stacker antenna. Including the RCA rotor. It appears to be this: http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...enna-html.html

I don't have any experience with the Stacker, but I mention it as it has a UHF and VHF antenna. The rotor alone is normally around $70 at Menards. It looks like it has been discontinued though: Unfortunately, the vendor is unable to supply this item at this time. Please check back again in the future.
post #3398 of 3400 Old 06-15-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unfortunately Antennacraft was a subsidiary of Radio Shack. They liquidated a month or two ago and thus the Y-10-7-13 is no longer in production (and nobody else on the market makes a substitute product at a reasonable price point). You've got strong enough signals that I would grab the stacker off of CL and mount that in an attic (or roof) pointed right at KIMT/KYIN. Pretty sure you don't need amplification.
post #3399 of 3400 Old 07-06-2015, 12:55 PM

Antenna rotor back at Menards

An earlier post of mine mentioned the VH126R rotor was unavailable at Menards. But I was in the south Menards on Sunday and it is back. And on sale for $60 through 7/18/2015.

The TVPRAMP1R preamp is also on sale for $18 through 7/18/2015.
post #3400 of 3400 Old Today, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Would one of you fine folks in the Rochester area mind running a channel scan and see if K15JM and K28LW are on the air, channels 15 and 28 respectively? The operator of both has recently filed "License to Cover" applications with the FCC indicating the construction authorized by the original construction permit has been completed.

I'm working with a local customer to see why he's just recently (May) begun having reception issues and, if these two signals are now on the air, they may be causing an amplifier overload at his location which is only a few miles from the transmitter site for these two stations.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception