Rochester, MN - HDTV - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3391 of 3398 Old 12-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 28
interesting. Wonder why they are doing that?
unclehonkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3392 of 3398 Old 12-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Rochester MN
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have been reading about outdoor antennas the last couple of days and I am completely confused. I recently moved to Rochester and the house I bought does not have an antenna already installed. If someone is willing to recommend an antenna I would really appreciate it.

My house has a directv dish on the roof that I figured I can remove and use the mounting to setup my new antenna. I am also perfectly fine with buying a rotor and preamp if I need to. I will attach my TVFool report because I saw that it was requested of others in this thread but I really don't understand what it all means.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All.png
Views:	124
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	419969  
bcards is offline  
post #3393 of 3398 Old 02-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Member
 
tachmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
KTTC adding Heroes and Icons as 10-3

Post Bulletin reported that KTTC will add Heroes and Icons to 10-3 on March 1.

Currently shown in the Twin Cities on 5-7, UHF 35, subchannel to KSTP 5-1. (Other 5-x's are KSTC UHF 45)

Ugh. 10-2 going HDTV was bad enough.

10-1 will now be even more bit-starved, sports will be more artifact plagued than they already are.
tachmn is offline  
post #3394 of 3398 Old 02-12-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mattdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Hope, MN
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcards View Post
I have been reading about outdoor antennas the last couple of days and I am completely confused. I recently moved to Rochester and the house I bought does not have an antenna already installed. If someone is willing to recommend an antenna I would really appreciate it.

My house has a directv dish on the roof that I figured I can remove and use the mounting to setup my new antenna. I am also perfectly fine with buying a rotor and preamp if I need to. I will attach my TVFool report because I saw that it was requested of others in this thread but I really don't understand what it all means.
How to read a TVFool report: http://tvfool.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=57

In short - you've got strong signal on all the major networks with the exception of CBS (KIMT).


My equipment recommendations are basically the same as always:
-RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamplifier (~$30 at Fleet Farm, Menards or Amazon)
-Antennacraft Y-5-7-13 VHF-Hi antenna (aimed directly at KTTC) (~$25 on Amazon or Solid Signal)
-Xtreme Signal HDB91X UHF Antenna (aimed directly at KIMT/KYIN) (~$50 Amazon or Solid Signal)

You'll need a compass to properly aim the antennas. Leave about 3ft between VHF-Hi and UHF antennas (UHF on top). Set up the preamp for separate VHF and UHF inputs (also ensure that the FM trap is in).
mattdp is offline  
post #3395 of 3398 Old 02-14-2015, 12:51 AM
Member
 
tachmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
My equipment recommendations are basically the same as always:
-RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamplifier (~$30 at Fleet Farm, Menards or Amazon)
On sale at Menards for $18.60 through 2/22. 1 at South store, 4 at North store at the time of this post.
tachmn is offline  
post #3396 of 3398 Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Member
 
cpalcott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to cut the cord. I live in NE Rochester, just south of Kellogg Middle School. My TVfools report is attached. Hoping to get KTTC, KXLT, KAAL, KSMQ, KIMT, and KYIN. Looking for antenna recommendations. HDB91X and Antennacraft Y-10-7-13 still the way to go? I would like to run to three TVs (TiVo series 3 at each). I don't think any of the runs would be more than 50'. Therefore, would I need the RCA tvpramp1r from menards? Any chance i could get away with an attic install in a two- story? Any assistance would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All_1434073382122.png
Views:	51
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	770945  

Last edited by cpalcott; 06-11-2015 at 07:13 PM.
cpalcott is offline  
post #3397 of 3398 Old 06-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Member
 
tachmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalcott View Post
Looking to cut the cord. I live in NE Rochester, just south of Kellogg Middle School. My TVfools report is attached. Hoping to get KTTC, KXLT, KAAL, KSMQ, KIMT, and KYIN. Looking for antenna recommendations. HDB91X and Antennacraft Y-10-7-13 still the way to go? I would like to run to three TVs (TiVo series 3 at each). I don't think any of the runs would be more than 50'. Therefore, would I need the RCA tvpramp1r from menards? Any chance i could get away with an attic install in a two- story? Any assistance would be appreciated.
I noticed on the local craigslist http://rmn.craigslist.org/ele/5046098316.html someone is selling what appears to be an HD Stacker antenna. Including the RCA rotor. It appears to be this: http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...enna-html.html

I don't have any experience with the Stacker, but I mention it as it has a UHF and VHF antenna. The rotor alone is normally around $70 at Menards. It looks like it has been discontinued though: Unfortunately, the vendor is unable to supply this item at this time. Please check back again in the future.
tachmn is offline  
post #3398 of 3398 Old 06-15-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mattdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Hope, MN
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unfortunately Antennacraft was a subsidiary of Radio Shack. They liquidated a month or two ago and thus the Y-10-7-13 is no longer in production (and nobody else on the market makes a substitute product at a reasonable price point). You've got strong enough signals that I would grab the stacker off of CL and mount that in an attic (or roof) pointed right at KIMT/KYIN. Pretty sure you don't need amplification.
mattdp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off