Rochester, MN - HDTV - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #3421 of 3454 Old 12-23-2015, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I live not too far North of you on Ridgeview Dr, although I suspect the elevation is a bit higher.

I can get CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, and FOX all with a Mohu Leaf Ultimate mounted on my south facing upstairs wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3454 Old 12-23-2015, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've attached the numbers at 30ft.

I tried out an Antennas Direct ClearStream 4V. I aimed the antenna using the compass on my phone. So no, I didn't use a compass. In the short distance, the neighbor's house sits a lot higher than ours. And all the houses up the hill we're on. Besides that, no major obstructions that I can think of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All30ft.png
Views:	29
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1138674  
post #3423 of 3454 Old 12-23-2015, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardeo View Post
I've attached the numbers at 30ft.

I tried out an Antennas Direct ClearStream 4V. I aimed the antenna using the compass on my phone. So no, I didn't use a compass. In the short distance, the neighbor's house sits a lot higher than ours. And all the houses up the hill we're on. Besides that, no major obstructions that I can think of.
There's your problem. With UHF, anything obstructing your signal path will cause significant loss in signal level. The noise margins (the important number) and power levels on Rochester stations jump like 20db going from 10ft to 30ft. Which makes KIMT and even KYIN doable. Getting up into a second story attic or onto the roof would certainly do it.

Phone compass is good enough.

Matt P.

Northern Antenna Systems (Minneapolis, MN).
post #3424 of 3454 Old 03-02-2016, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like this thread is sort of dead but going to post in here hoping someone can help me out with a new installation. This is a Pine Island install.

Here is my TVFOOL report -http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51343753e97117

So the antenna will be mounted on the roof at roughly 20 ft high. I am thinking about going with the Denny's HD Stacker antenna - would I need to pair it with the Winegard LNA-200 pre-amp? I will have a 35 ft cable run from the antenna to the 3-way splitter which will have 3 TVs hooked up to it from the basement. TV#1 will have a 15 ft run from splitter, TV #2 will have a 25 ft run ad TV # 3 will have roughly a 40 ft run to it from the splitter. Using good RG6 cable for all of the runs.

I need to get NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX - anything extra is a bonus as far as I am concerned. So I will need UHF/VHF for sure - hence thinking of going with HD Stacker and the smaller footprint would be ideal if I can get those 4 main channels.

Any reccomendations on where to point it? 175 degrees?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
post #3425 of 3454 Old 03-02-2016, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_yummies View Post
Looks like this thread is sort of dead but going to post in here hoping someone can help me out with a new installation. This is a Pine Island install.

Here is my TVFOOL report -http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51343753e97117

So the antenna will be mounted on the roof at roughly 20 ft high. I am thinking about going with the Denny's HD Stacker antenna - would I need to pair it with the Winegard LNA-200 pre-amp? I will have a 35 ft cable run from the antenna to the 3-way splitter which will have 3 TVs hooked up to it from the basement. TV#1 will have a 15 ft run from splitter, TV #2 will have a 25 ft run ad TV # 3 will have roughly a 40 ft run to it from the splitter. Using good RG6 cable for all of the runs.

I need to get NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX - anything extra is a bonus as far as I am concerned. So I will need UHF/VHF for sure - hence thinking of going with HD Stacker and the smaller footprint would be ideal if I can get those 4 main channels.

Any reccomendations on where to point it? 175 degrees?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
I don't have direct advice.

I'm straight west, and a little south, of you along I-35. I have the Winegard FlatWave Air mounted on my roof. It's perhaps 15 feet in the air. I'm in a city, but a newer development that's been here 15 years. So tree obstruction is not a problem right now.

I've got the antenna pointing at 3 degrees and I'm getting all of the Twin Cities stations. Blew me away. On a good day I also receive stations from South and Southeast of my location. It's kind of amazing.

I was pretty stoked about having such a small antenna with such an uninvolved setup. I don't have to worry about a large, heavy antenna in wind. And I probably would have had trouble self-installing a large antenna.

I also believe my cable runs are longer than what you're dealing with. When I first installed I tried to reuse some _old_ cable from a ten-year-old DISH install. That did not work at all. I pulled quad-shield RG6 and the world opened up.

Barry
post #3426 of 3454 Old 03-02-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhess View Post
I don't have direct advice.

I'm straight west, and a little south, of you along I-35. I have the Winegard FlatWave Air mounted on my roof. It's perhaps 15 feet in the air. I'm in a city, but a newer development that's been here 15 years. So tree obstruction is not a problem right now.

I've got the antenna pointing at 3 degrees and I'm getting all of the Twin Cities stations. Blew me away. On a good day I also receive stations from South and Southeast of my location. It's kind of amazing.

I was pretty stoked about having such a small antenna with such an uninvolved setup. I don't have to worry about a large, heavy antenna in wind. And I probably would have had trouble self-installing a large antenna.

I also believe my cable runs are longer than what you're dealing with. When I first installed I tried to reuse some _old_ cable from a ten-year-old DISH install. That did not work at all. I pulled quad-shield RG6 and the world opened up.
Wow - this thread has quickly been rejuvenated. Thanks for the quick reply. Interesting that you can pull all of those channels in with just that little antenna. I'll have to look into that as another option - no assembly and much smaller footprint.
post #3427 of 3454 Old 03-02-2016, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking at the TVFool report, it looks like Rochester stations are your only option due to geography. KIMT (CBS) and KYIN (Iowa PBS) are getting rather weak, so you will need a decent antenna.

Denny's HD Stacker is a legit antenna, but it's a complete rippoff at that price. And you could get a better performing antenna for less than half the cost.

I'd go with an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp, available at Menards for $20 which is on par with an LNA-200. Set it to separate UHF/VHF inputs and keep the FM trap on. Preamp will cover your splitter and cable losses with plenty of margin to spare.

The best antenna for the money would be:
-Stellar Labs Deep Fringe UHF antenna ($39): http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2415-/30-2415

-Stellar Labs Fringe VHF-Hi antenna ($25):http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2475-/30-2475

I'd always err on the side of having too much antenna rather than too little. And I don't think a Flatwave would cut it.

Mount with a 3ft tripod and 1 1/4" EMT conduit (also available from Menards). I attached a picture of that stack on a 10ft mast. You could probably cut yours down to 5ft.

(I did a retrofit install with those same two antennas about a mile west, up the hill from P.I. Very well constructed and they got TCs very well).

Put the UHF on top and the VHF-Hi about 3ft below it. Aim the UHF at KIMT/KYIN (184) and the VHF-Hi at KTTC (167).

Your available channel lineup should be:

3.1 CBS
3.2 MyNet
3.3 ION

6.1 ABC
6.2 ThisTV

10.1 NBC
10.2 CW
10.3 Heroes & Icons

15.1 PBS
15.2 MHZ Worldview
15.3 Create
15.4 tpt MN

24.1 PBS
24.2 PBS Kids/Create
24.3 PBS World

47.1 FOX
47.2 MeTV

58.1 3ABN
58.2 3ABN Proclaim
58.3 3ABN Dare to Dream
58.4 3ABN Latino
58.5 3ABN Radio
58.6 3ABN Radio Latino
58.7 Radio 74
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150908_192557798_HDR.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	1290993  

Matt P.

Last edited by mattdp; 03-02-2016 at 08:46 PM.
post #3428 of 3454 Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 PM

Wow Matt - great stuff. Looks like that pre-amp is even at sale at Menards now. So, I had DirecTV and I was going to yank the dish off the J-pole and re-use that. Can I stick the conduit in that and secure it good enough you think? Hate to drill more holes in the roof if I don't have to. Makes sense where you have me pointing the antennas.

So how will the coax cabling work? Each antenna gets its own short piece of coax and then gets ran to the preamp? So 2 antennas feed into preamp and main coax runs from preamp to the splitter in the house? Is it that easy?
post #3429 of 3454 Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_yummies
I had DirecTV and I was going to yank the dish off the J-pole and re-use that. Can I stick the conduit in that and secure it good enough you think? Hate to drill more holes in the roof if I don't have to.
Does the mount have those stabilizing mount-arms? I guess it could work. The main thing is to make sure you've got 3ft between the antennas because if you get them closer, they interact electrically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_yummies
So how will the coax cabling work? Each antenna gets its own short piece of coax and then gets ran to the preamp? So 2 antennas feed into preamp and main coax runs from preamp to the splitter in the house? Is it that easy?
Essentially, yes. There are two switches on the preamp. Keep the FM trap on. And set the input switch to separate UHF/VHF inputs. Mount the preamp between the two antennas and run coax from the antennas into their appropriate inputs. From there, go Preamp->Ground Block->Pre-amp power supply->Splitters.

Matt P.

post #3430 of 3454 Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
Does the mount have those stabilizing mount-arms? I guess it could work. The main thing is to make sure you've got 3ft between the antennas because if you get them closer, they interact electrically.

Essentially, yes. There are two switches on the preamp. Keep the FM trap on. And set the input switch to separate UHF/VHF inputs. Mount the preamp between the two antennas and run coax from the antennas into their appropriate inputs. From there, go Preamp->Ground Block->Pre-amp power supply->Splitters.
Yes it has the stabilizers on the J pole. That setup you describe essentially mimics how my DIrectv was ran into my house so should be easy enough.
post #3431 of 3454 Old 03-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Moved antenna to roof, now getting less signal than in attic

I recently paid to have my attic mounted antenna moved up to the roof, however I'm seeing much lower signal strength on my TiVo Roamio and I'm getting RS Uncorrected on channels that I wasn't before. The installer did two things I thought were questionable. One was he mounted it directly behind a 6" wide metal stovepipe. He said that it wouldn't make any difference in signal. The second is that he turned the whole antenna about 30 degrees off axis because he said we were getting too strong a signal from one of the stations (KAAL).

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6868e146ac6

Antenna was in the attic pointing straight south. They moved the antenna to the roof and ended up pointing it to what looks like a 210 degree heading, 30 degrees or so west of straight south.

While in the attic, the Roamio was reporting all stations at 29db SNR except for KTTC, which was 26-27, and KYIN, which was 19db. It would cut out on KTTC and KXLT on occasions, usually during inversions. After they moved it, it's reporting 29db on KAAL and KSMQ, 27db on KXLT and KIMT, 23 on KTTC, and 16 on KYIN

I looked at the signals when he was still here and told him that they were lower, but he said his signal meter was showing every channel in the green, and that's all he could do and then proceeded to blame it on the cloudy weather.

So, what could be the problem here and how can I get it fixed?
post #3432 of 3454 Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The big question is: How is your reception? I think you identified the problems in your first paragraph. Is the metal stovepipe in front of the antenna in the direction of the signals? Sounds like you need to tweak the direction the antenna is pointing for your best signals.
post #3433 of 3454 Old 03-03-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
The big question is: How is your reception? I think you identified the problems in your first paragraph. Is the metal stovepipe in front of the antenna in the direction of the signals? Sounds like you need to tweak the direction the antenna is pointing for your best signals.
Yes, the stovepipe is within about 2 feet of the end of the antenna to the south of it.

The directional tweaking is what the guy did, and the direction makes no sense. It's pointing 45 degrees away from the antenna I'm having the most problems with (KTTC) and the antenna it's most closely aligned with still has a weaker signal than before. This is a Winegard 7694P. The beam half-width on channel 10 is around 38 degrees.

He said KAAL was too strong and drowning out the other signals, but I never had a problem with it before.

How likely is the stovepipe a culprit? The installer swore it wouldn't make a difference and I'll have a hard time convincing him otherwise.
post #3434 of 3454 Old 03-03-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 198
The only station you could possibly be getting too strong of a signal from is K25NK. KAAL is not that strong. A beam heading of about 170 degrees would be your best compromise direction. KYIN is 64 degrees off the main antenna lobe which is likely to put it in a null.
post #3435 of 3454 Old 03-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Since there's an active local topic, I've merged these threads.

See the sticky notes.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3436 of 3454 Old 03-03-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
The only station you could possibly be getting too strong of a signal from is K25NK. KAAL is not that strong. A beam heading of about 170 degrees would be your best compromise direction. KYIN is 64 degrees off the main antenna lobe which is likely to put it in a null.
The guy had a meter plugged into my coax. I'm going to try ditching my drop amp and see if there's any improvement before I do anything drastic. It might be that the additional signal strength from moving the antenna outside is causing me to over-amplify. I have an lna-200 preamp and a channel master 8 way 4.5db drop amp.
post #3437 of 3454 Old 03-04-2016, 07:14 AM

I tried disconnecting the drop amp and plugging in a splitter instead. SNR dropped 2db on a few stations, nothing else changed, so I think the drop amp is actually improving the situation, not hurting it. Given that, is it safe to assume that the pre-amp isn't overpowering the signal?

Here's a pic of how they mounted it. The big tall pipe is directly to the south of the antenna and they turned it 30 degrees to the west in order to get all the channels "in the green".

My theory, knowing next to nothing about this subject, is that the pipe is casting a shadow on the antenna. When aimed straight south, KAAL is dead on, so the shadow gets cast on the boom, not the elements. KIMT and KTTC are about 10 degrees off axis to the right and left respectively, so the shadow gets cast on the elements on one side of the antenna, cutting down on reception surface area. Turning the antenna 30 degrees increased the surface area being hit by the off axis stations and decreased the surface area being hit by KAAL.

Does that make sense or am I just throwing darts blindfolded?

Wish someone hadn't merged my thread... this is a technical question... not a local reception question...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	1293241  

Last edited by Phane; 03-05-2016 at 06:51 AM.
post #3438 of 3454 Old 03-06-2016, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phane View Post
Wish someone hadn't merged my thread... this is a technical question... not a local reception question...
All reception issues are local reception questions as no two locations have identical conditions. The reason we use these threads is that your issue sends an e-mail to people already familiar with the area. In HDTV Technical, it's only seen by those who frequent the forum. I generally let the antenna experts reply (as they have) before moving.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3439 of 3454 Old 03-06-2016, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rochester, MN. Need better antenna

I currently have a roof mounted tripod with two antennas, a VHF high for channel 10 which is fixed and a Winegard 9032 on a rotor. My Tvfool is pathetic as every station is 60 to 100 miles away. Channel 10 comes in good so the VHF antenna is not a problem.

I need a better antenna as the reception is a bit too weak on UHF.

Should I can get another 9032 and stack the two antennas or get a 91xg?

The two antennas are combined and the cable goes through the roof to an amplifier mounted just under the roof. Next is a distribution amp which connects three TVs and three PCs.

Edit to add TVfool

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134849fc52c06

Rochester, MN.

On a good day I can get all channels down to 2.1. On a bad day I get only 10.1 and 6.1.

Last edited by mjsas; 03-06-2016 at 07:57 PM.
post #3440 of 3454 Old 03-07-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
The two antennas are combined and the cable goes through the roof to an amplifier mounted just under the roof. Next is a distribution amp which connects three TVs and three PCs.
How are the two antennas combined, with a splitter in reverse or a UVSJ?

What preamp and distribution amp are you using?

How are the signals split, with the DA or a passive splitter?

How long are the coax runs?
Quote:
My Tvfool is pathetic as every station is 60 to 100 miles away.
Yup, pathetic because of the curvature of the earth and 2Edge. Also, K25NK on real channel 25 is strong enough to overload some preamps that might be needed for your weak signals.

I suggest you replace the 9032 with an Antennas Direct DB8e (not DB8) with both panels aimed in the same direction; it's the current leader in UHF gain. The next step up would be 2 stacked 91XGs like Calaveras.
http://www.aa6g.org/DTV/index.html
Quote:
On a good day I can get all channels down to 2.1. On a bad day I get only 10.1 and 6.1.
Any trees or buildings in the signal path?

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 03-07-2016 at 08:24 AM.
post #3441 of 3454 Old 03-07-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You have some strong local FM signals that might interfere with TV reception.
http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/a...e/Radar-FM.png

KNXR FM with a signal power of -15.3 dBm is 20 dB stronger than K25NK and 70 dB stronger than your average weak signals. An FM filter might be required.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #3442 of 3454 Old 03-07-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsas View Post
I currently have a roof mounted tripod with two antennas, a VHF high for channel 10 which is fixed and a Winegard 9032 on a rotor. My Tvfool is pathetic as every station is 60 to 100 miles away. Channel 10 comes in good so the VHF antenna is not a problem.

In most cases it is not possible to get receive 2 edge stations 100% of the time. Those paths are highly dependent on atmospheric conditions. The farther from the transmitters the more affected the signals are. Stations at 77 miles are essentially impossible unless you're on substantial hill. You can improve the percentage of time you can receive the stations but rarely to 100%.

I've gone to extremes to try to receive San Francisco stations on UHF that are 110 miles away. I'm using a pair of 91XGs, replaced the baluns with low loss coax baluns, replaced the combiner with a near zero loss combiner and put together a costume preamp with a noise figure of 0.6 dB. All this improved reception quite a bit but still not 100% reception. The swings in signal strength caused by changing atmospheric conditions are too large to be completely overcome by antenna improvements.

You can improve your reception by optimizing everything but you'll still have to accept less than perfect reception.
post #3443 of 3454 Old 03-07-2016, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I recently paid to have my attic mounted antenna moved up to the roof, however I'm seeing much lower signal strength on my TiVo Roamio and I'm getting RS Uncorrected on channels that I wasn't before. The installer did two things I thought were questionable. One was he mounted it directly behind a 6" wide metal stovepipe. He said that it wouldn't make any difference in signal. The second is that he turned the whole antenna about 30 degrees off axis because he said we were getting too strong a signal from one of the stations (KAAL).
First things first: Please tell me who installed the antenna there, so I know who to never hire.

Second: Are you sure that you still need the stack? If you've converted to a high efficiency furnace and water heater, the stack may just be a remnant.
DrDon likes this.

Last edited by DrDon; 03-07-2016 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added quote to differentiate
post #3444 of 3454 Old 03-07-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF8270 View Post
First things first: Please tell me who installed the antenna there, so I know who to never hire.

Second: Are you sure that you still need the stack? If you've converted to a high efficiency furnace and water heater, the stack may just be a remnant.
The company that installed it was New Dimension, based out of Austin. I called them back this morning and talked to someone who I think might have been the boss of the guy who installed it and told him about how it was installed behind the stove pipe. His response was something like, "Why in the heck did he put it there?" He said he'd talk to the guy when he got back in today and get back to me, so I'm guessing they're going to try and make it right.

Edit: They are coming back next Wednesday to move it free of charge, I'll post more info later.

I just replaced both my furnace and my water heater a few years back. I know the furnace is HE has it's own intake and exhaust and is a sealed unit. I don't think the water heater is. It's an old fashioned tank job and it has a small hood over it for what I'd assume is exhaust. Is that what the stove pipe is for? In any case, I'd rather leave well enough alone when it comes to holes in my roof that aren't leaking.

Last edited by Phane; 03-09-2016 at 07:05 AM.
post #3445 of 3454 Old 03-08-2016, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I know the furnace is HE has it's own intake and exhaust and is a sealed unit. I don't think the water heater is. It's an old fashioned tank job and it has a small hood over it for what I'd assume is exhaust. Is that what the stove pipe is for? In any case, I'd rather leave well enough alone when it comes to holes in my roof that aren't leaking.
Yes, the stove pipe would still be needed for a plain vanilla water heater. And not disturbing the stove pipe for fear of causing a leak is wise.

Please let us know how it all comes out.
post #3446 of 3454 Old 03-10-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
How are the two antennas combined, with a splitter in reverse or a UVSJ?

What preamp and distribution amp are you using?

How are the signals split, with the DA or a passive splitter?

How long are the coax runs?

Any trees or buildings in the signal path?
I use a UVSJ to combine the antennas.

I use 1975 Archer amps, they seem to work very well. I have tried other amps and nothing yet beats the Archer amps.

I do not use passive splitters.

The runs are from 20' to over 50', the long runs are not a problem.

My antenna points into a hill to the south, that is my main problem. To get over the hill would require a 75' or higher tower. Beyond that is downtown Rochester and the Mayo clinic buildings with about 100,000 PC's and other stuff.

k25nk probably is not a problem as there is a hill to the east that mostly block it. When the antenna is pointed away from it, the reception is as weak as the other stations.

Here is a tvfool for my neighbor to the south, she gets much better reception!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134d8bdce38e9

I will get an FM filter and see if that helps.

Last edited by mjsas; 03-10-2016 at 03:41 PM.
post #3447 of 3454 Old 03-16-2016, 11:38 AM

New Dimension came back over and moved my antenna to the other side of the stove pipe. I requested that they put it at least 6 feet away from it. They pointed it south but when I requested that they 'tune' it like they did before the guy blew me off. So I'm not that happy about their service, but the signals are much better now. KYIN jumped to 22-23db SNR when it was 19 in the attic and only 17 behind the stovepipe. KIMT dropped slightly in signal quality but that station generally didn't cut out except on a single tuner downstairs. I'm a little disappointed, since I think that could have been resolved if they had just turned the antenna a little bit, but that's something I think I could do on my own if it really bugs me. KTTC has jumped to 26-27db SNR and that one WAS a problem with 24db behind the stovepipe. The rest of the stations are pegged at 29db SNR, which seems to be as good as my TiVo Roamio will report.

I'm hoping that even though the SNR hasn't improved a great deal that my signals will be more consistent with the antenna outside. I had issues with cutouts a lot of the time around sunset while it was in my attic.
post #3448 of 3454 Old 03-20-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The fundamental problem was the 210 degree aiming. That's too far off axis from 176. The stove pipe is probably electrically transparent at VHF-Hi frequencies. If you don't have a direct line of site to the tower, you're dealing with diffraction of signal which creates hot/cold spots. No competent installer should mount the antenna until that location works for all channels (with a few minutes of observation, to ensure reliability).

Matt P.

post #3449 of 3454 Old 03-20-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Edit to add TVfool

Rochester, MN.

Quote:

Edit to add TVfool

Rochester, MN.

You're in a pretty low spot there. The hills up to the north are far enough away that it looks like you can get some acceptable level from TC stations.

I'd advise adding as much height as your budget will allow. A 64ft Rohn tower would be ideal (well, 250ft would be ideal :-P ). Or even a telescoping mast.

A 91XG or 91XG clone (like the $40 MCM electronics model http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2370-/30-2370) should give 2-3db additional gain compared to a 9032. They're a good bit shorter too.

I'd try a quad stack (2 vertical + 2 horizontal), combined via identical lengths of coax into a backwards 4-way splitter.

Ancient Archer amps are bound to have 4db or more of noise. You need every ounce of S/N you can get. I'd try a Kitztech KT-200, which has a rated NF of 0.4db http://www.kitztech.com/KT200.html I believe they have actually been measured by people on the forum to have >2db (which is still really good). Combine the VHF and UHFs via a UVSJ, then feed that into the Hi side of a HLSJ and put a terminating resistor on the Lo side - that's a more effective FM trap than the inline filter Kitztech provides with their amps (I tested it with a scope).

Tilting the antennas up (to match the horizon angle) may also yield an extra db or so. The exact angle will change slightly depending on the station in question.

Here's some more technical info that may be of use: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/siting.html

Matt P.

post #3450 of 3454 Old 03-21-2016, 05:56 PM

A 60 foot tower would look out of place in my neighborhood, especially with a quad array on top. I agree it would do the job.

The problem I have is that the reception is good on channel 47 for a few seconds to several minutes and then breaks up. It sort of looks like interference.

Also the problem appears to happen when it is windy.

In the last few months I have only watched the NASCAR races on Sunday afternoon. Channel 47 (Fox) was crap for the first few races which were on windy days and the last couple of races were fine and were calm days. Also Channel 47 cleared up on the bad days when the wind went down later in the day.

If a 91XG will give 2 to 3 db over the 9032 and the Kitztech KT-200 will give a better noise ratio it probably will be enough to fix my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page