Greenville, NC - HDTV - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #331 of 9231 Old 12-16-2004, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are still working on it they have tried several different things but no luck yet they do believe they know what the problem is now and waiting for a programer to fix it. Sorry for the problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 08:00 AM

They Sent me a new version of the software today just installed it and it seems OK We will see how it does over the weekend

Ken
post #333 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Ken12,

Thanks for your hard work. Looks like it's broadcasting fine to my stb. Both 12.1 and 12.3 are coming through.

Geo
All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #334 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 01:39 PM

We are trying to start putting some program info in. We are doing it manually so it may take awhile.
post #335 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cool Ken,
Youll be the only station besides UNC here in the east to have titles.
WNCT did have titles at first but have since stopped.

Directv HD
Samsung UN50H6350 50" LED Smart TV

Channel Master 4228 antenna
Greenville NC, Ral-Durham NC ota market
post #336 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

According to an article I read today, per FCC guidelines, all stations have to begin broadcasting psip information as of February 1, 2005. I assume this would be program titles, etc. but you never know. A lot of times, unless it's specifically stated, there's room for wigglers. *LOL* I guess we shall see as of 2/1/2005.

Geo
All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #337 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How many want to bet that our fox will be the last on air in the US with dt? Our Pax 35 is even up and has been for a long time.
post #338 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

38 pax has not even got a assigment yet!

Directv HD

post #339 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Originally posted by easternncnewswat
According to an article I read today, per FCC guidelines, all stations have to begin broadcasting psip information as of February 1, 2005. I assume this would be program titles, etc. but you never know. A lot of times, unless it's specifically stated, there's room for wigglers. *LOL* I guess we shall see as of 2/1/2005.

The rule states that stations have to have the complete ATSC PSIP including the EPG by Feb 1, 2005. No wiggle room there.

post #340 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I figured 35 covered the whole area, and that is why they didn't apply for an allotment at 38? But when I checked the service map on tvradioworld http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT616327.html
http://www.tvradioworld.com/region1/...tion.asp?m=ggr

The signal cuts off between New Bern and Kinston. I guess Pax viewers to t
north are out of luck...
post #341 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WEPX has applied with the FCC to go digital on 51. The application has yet to be approved...

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #342 of 9231 Old 12-17-2004, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Pax 38 has at least finally applied. I thought I knew that already, but maybe I didn't. Have they been accepted or is that automatic? Nevermind, I just saw your answer! *LOL*

Glad all the stations have to integrate psip. Makes the "product" more user friendly. That's the biggest complaint in this "household." Well, that and their isn't an hdtv yet, but that's another story.

Our Fox won't be the last in the nation, but if it's not Pax 38, it'll definately be Fox.

Here are some thoughts I've had recently, not earth shattering, but this is it... What does everybody else think?

1. I'd watch Fox 8/14 News at 10 now that they've got Gary Dean. I remember him on 12 growing up and then when he returned to NC and to channel 7.

Right now, I've got the option of of News at 10 on Fox 50, WB 22, and UPN 48 (which I only check out for the live weather segments). I sometimes check out the WB 22 News just to see what the fuss is all about. It's just Fox News Lite in my opinion.

2. I'd like to see WITN do Weather Plus if it incorporated the local side. Right now, Weather Plus is easy access for current conditions for WNCN viewers but I'd like to see our areas. I think it's a nicer national version to rival The Weather Channel, but I think it's strong point will be to offer satellite viewers "local weather" 24/7. All of us that have satellite have the national feed of The Weather Channel and know what that's like.

3. Actually, my ideal situation would see Weather Plus on 7, a WRALesque weather channel on WCTI, and maybe weather radar on Fox, if they get on the air. Actually it would seem the logical choice would be WNCT but I just read recently that Media General partnered with some "US Digital" type service to lease their bandwith. So I suspect that's why we haven't seen any subchannels on WNCT. They're already partnered with Fox (for news)), so that's probably what will happen anyway.

4. Does anyone watch Pax? Or is it just nice to have it as an option? That's the only reason I'd like to have it. I've only watched it once on satellite.

Geo
post #343 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the FBI show that comes on PAX Sunday nights, other than that all they have is re-runs of family feud. I had heard a rumor a while back that PAX might be closing down soon. IF that is the case the rumors are that the WB network would take over the two PAX towers. I guess we will have to wait and see...
post #344 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

What would the US digital service be like on WNCT?
post #345 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

That would be cool if the WB started broadcasting ota around here. Interesting... Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I read about the Media General (US Digital like service) partnership over in the programming thread here on avs forum. Similar to US Digital. The company they are partnered with would use MG's unused bandwith to broadcast SD cable fare like Lifetime, Fox News, etc for something like 20 a month so people don't have to have cable or satellite. The whole thing is still in it's infancy so yet another thing we'll have to wait and see on.

Geo
post #346 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope they do it! That would be really neat, but wouldn't it cause the picture quality to go down? And how can they do it since 7 and 9 share an analog transmitter?
post #347 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Originally posted by jspENC
I hope they do it! That would be really neat, but wouldn't it cause the picture quality to go down?

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it. And that would NOT be good.

USDTV is the biggest croc of crap since the middle ages. It's like 10 cable channels for $20 a month, and they look worse than they do on satellite while degrading the free-to-air signal of the host station.

Anyway, I think that Greenville is too small/doesn't have enough stations to support USDTV. It works in Los Angeles (with its 20+ stations) and Salt Lake City and those other places (I'm confused about how it works in Vegas though), but let's look at it this way.

7- HD + Weather feed. That's all the bandwidth they have.
9- HD. They might have room for one USDTV channel.
12- HD + UPN. And Ken12 has indicated that there's no plan to compress either one.
14- Who knows. If it's SD, then it could have 5 USDTV services. If HD, then two tops.
25- PBS can't have it.
38- 4 SD streams (if they ever get the digital on the air), so maybe one service.

That's 3 to 6 out of the needed 11 or 12. Not enough room for USDTV.

Thankfully.

Now let us all hope that USDTV dies a quick death.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #348 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no problem with US Digital dying a quick death. I think they could be a viable option if - and only if - they existed on their own stick and bandwith.

The company that has partnered with Media General, WNCT's parent company, is not, to my limited knowledge, US Digital. It's a start up rival. I don't know how many channels they would offer, but they want to keep it around 20 bucks a month too. I'm sure they'll take a run at 7, 12, and 8/14's parent companies to see if they want to "make a deal." Hopefully, they'll all say, "Nope!"

I can understand Ken12's position about not adding another channel because of compromising ABC 12 and UPN 48's pq. In a perfect world ABC and UPN would exist on their own designations. I'm just glad WCTI could at least offer us UPN ota. I never thought this market would carry UPN or the WB because of it's rank, population, etc. At least we've got the option with regard to UPN.

Geo
post #349 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like to see an independent channel move into our area, we just don't have enough to watch on antenna. And it is very difficult for some locations in this market to be able to get more than 4 channels.
post #350 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll second that. Growing up in New Bern, there were about 4 channels until Fox came on in '89. My Dad was always of the notion, why pay for tv when you can get it for free. Now that I'm an adult and have been paying for cable and/or satellite for most of my life, the price just keeps going higher and higher. I'm glad I can get the networks for free now. One less thing I have to pay for. I won't get the locals on satellite when I can get them ota.

I don't think we'll get an independent station(s) any time soon. Independents are struggling to stay afloat these days with all the other programming options. It'd be nice though to get the WB ota around here though. I can get WLFL from RDU but it can be sketchy sometimes. I can say that I'm getting 9 out of 10 times now. Used to be that I could barely pick it up. And UPN from RDU is a definite no. Thanks again for UPN 48.

Geo
post #351 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can get WLFL from RDU but it can be sketchy sometimes. I can say that I'm getting 9 out of 10 times now. Used to be that I could barely pick it up. And UPN from RDU is a definite no. Thanks again for UPN 48.

When WLFL and WRDC power up, you might be able to receive them.

post #352 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you guys around Greenville get SKY 4? I can get it every now and then down here but not for very long. They have some good shows on in the evenings. As a matter of fact they have the Charlotte basketball on now!
post #353 of 9231 Old 12-18-2004, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by foxeng
When WLFL and WRDC power up, you might be able to receive them.

I sure hope so!

Sky 4 had just come on the air in the past year when I left the OBX last year. They weren't bad for a start up station. I think they have applied for digital assignment on channel 4. I doubt we would get even in Greenville. I can't get analog now. On the OBX, we couldn't get signals from here or Norfolk; that's why we had the East/West Coast affiliate feeds.

Geo
post #354 of 9231 Old 12-20-2004, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I just saw on WNCT your total snowfall in Washington was 7"! Mine down in Jacksonville was 1".
post #355 of 9231 Old 12-20-2004, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea seems like that small band of SNOW stayed on top of Washington and Beaufort County almost all night. Started snowing here at 10:30p snowed till around 6:30-7am. Pretty heavy.
In town I measured about 6.5" here north east of Washington about 8miles I got about 4.5/5"
Winds blowing 18-20mph blowing snow!!!
In Greenville about 1"

Directv HD

post #356 of 9231 Old 12-20-2004, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Woohoo! Snow Day! I was waiting all night last night. Finally, I flipped over to Witn's Radar Channel and saw where Jamie, I assume, had drawn in the freezing line and it was right on top of Greenville. I went out and looked out the window and sure enough it was snowing. About 2-3 inches this side of Greenville.

I definately wish WITN carried weather plus so we could see local inserts and temps around our area. It's cold everywhere in NC today! And it looks like there might be snow on the way for Christmas Day. Let it snow!

Geo
post #357 of 9231 Old 12-20-2004, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

We got nothing here in Greensboro. Snow to the west and snow to the east and nothing here. Oh well. At least the high today is to be 20! OH BOY! It is 16 currently.

post #358 of 9231 Old 12-20-2004, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

It's frigid all over today! Let's hope the model runs for this weekend's upcoming storm prove accurate and we can have a white christmas all across the state.

Geo
post #359 of 9231 Old 12-20-2004, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It's frigid all over today! Let's hope the model runs for this weekend's upcoming storm prove accurate and we can have a white christmas all across the state.

Let's hope NOT! That will be the ONLY thing on TV! (and NOT HD at that!)

post #360 of 9231 Old 12-20-2004, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

*LOL*

True that...

Ken12,

Btw, I noticed you have a lot of guide info updated for ABC 12; looks very good. It was a little off this weekend, but I remembered you saying you guys were just starting to key it in. It looks great and makes the product a lot more user friendly. Thanks for your efforts.

Geo
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page