Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 9231 Old 12-20-2004, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I took a look at WWAY and WCTI's digital pic. quality and sound yesterday (both abc stations) and they both look sharp, and not as red in the face as the analog signal. The sound on WWAY was not quite as full as WCTI's signal, at least on Cable. They still do not have WNCT dt on cable down here. WITN and their radar are up and look better than directv's satellite signal quality, probably because the bandwidth is not stretched with just 2 signals.
The only difference in WWAY and WCTI is WWAY went full screen while WCTI was cropped off on both sides.
Ken 12,
Was this the cable companies manipulating or was it your stations choice? Also WITN was cropped off on their 7.1 but not on the radar channel.
Also no PAX 35.1 or WECT 6.1 are on cable, but all of the PBS stations on 19 are on and look great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9231 Old 12-20-2004, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
jspENC,

I've seen that on WWAY before; i've gotten the signal a couple of times up here in Greenville. Are you talking about the fact that WCTI and WITN have the black bars on the side during non network programming. I thought all stations did that if they're upconverting their 4:3 to 16:9. I think WWAY does a widescreen upconvert.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've seen this on WWAY too and wondered why other stations don't do this during news, local, etc. programs.

Geo
All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #363 of 9231 Old 12-21-2004, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the black bars easternncnewswat,
I thought it was a good idea that WWAY eliminated them. THis was during ABC news at 6:30 and AFV at 7:00 on Sunday evening.
But the sound would drop off on WWAY occasionally, and it's probably because of a bad antenna at the cable plant.
post #364 of 9231 Old 12-21-2004, 08:00 AM

Is WWAY switching back to 480i during local programming or are they stretching their 4x3 image to 16x9? I know people hate the black bars, but distorting the picture in the signal isn't the answer. If someone hates the bars, they should have the option of manipulating the display of it on their TV.

Greg Jones
post #365 of 9231 Old 12-21-2004, 08:01 AM

With our Fox signal problems in Greenville, what is the likelihood that we could get waivers from the local station so we could see the Fox HD feed now available on DirecTV?

Anyone run through the waiver process with Fox locally?

Greg Jones
post #366 of 9231 Old 12-21-2004, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I can't speak to the Fox HD feed, but I can tell you that my East/West feeds of Fox were cancelled by Dish Network because of complaints by our local Fox affiliate. That's what the letter from Dish said anyway. I doubt our local Fox affiliate would even allow the HD feed though. They want you to watch their station(s). Which is funny and pathetic when you think about it; they don't even have a digital signal broadcasting yet!

Geo
All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #367 of 9231 Old 12-21-2004, 08:16 AM

Given the choice to watch the OTA HD signal or the satellite HD signal, I would gladly support them. Since they've not made it an option, I cannot support them.

Greg Jones
post #368 of 9231 Old 12-21-2004, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

So true.

Geo
post #369 of 9231 Old 12-21-2004, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I will not ever support our Fox because you can hardly pick it up! I have to go with WSFX in Wilmington for fox if I watch it OTA. On satellite is the only way WYDO looks decent.
post #370 of 9231 Old 12-22-2004, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ken12 any chance that youll add titles to UPN?

Directv HD
Samsung UN50H6350 50" LED Smart TV

Channel Master 4228 antenna
Greenville NC, Ral-Durham NC ota market
post #371 of 9231 Old 12-22-2004, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm in shock! Channel 8 and 14 are both coming in today. The color on 8 is MUCH better than 14. 8 is in Stereo and 14 isn't? They used to both broadcast Stereo. I bet they won't stay clear for long, the weather is probably responsible...
post #372 of 9231 Old 12-22-2004, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, UPN48, as of Monday night, had programming information showing up in the guide. Didn't check it last night. As of today, it is shoing No Data. It looks like ABC 12 has it's programming info up and running for the entire day. Remember, Ken12 said that they were going to have to enter it manually. I'm sure this is why UPN 48 is not showing the information right now.

Fox 14, analog, is coming in worse than normal for me. Just goes to show that what works for one doesn't always work for another. Typical! *LOL*

Geo
post #373 of 9231 Old 12-22-2004, 09:50 AM

We are still having some issues with the PSIP Generator for UPN It has lost the data that we had already put in for UPN. I'm going to wait to make sure the problem is fixed before I have someone reenter the data. Probably after the first of the year.

Ken
post #374 of 9231 Old 12-22-2004, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanx for letting us know what happened, Ken12. Now that you've updated your psip information it's gotten me to do something I've been wanting to do for a while. I did some screen captures and am building a page about dtv offerings here in Eastern NC. I hope to have it online in a few days.
LL

Geo
post #375 of 9231 Old 12-22-2004, 01:18 PM

I missed reply to the post about the black bars. I upconvert our SD to a letter box I could just as easely stretch it to fill the screen actually I've had quite a few calls wanting me to do just that. But I'm sure I would get twice as many calls if I did complaining about it. I personally do not like a stretched picture and most peoples sets have the capability to stretch if they want to.

Ken
post #376 of 9231 Old 12-22-2004, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I think WWAY has 3 channels going, one is stretched, one isn't and the other was used for ABC NEWS NOW.
post #377 of 9231 Old 12-23-2004, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I missed reply to the post about the black bars. I upconvert our SD to a letter box I could just as easely stretch it to fill the screen actually I've had quite a few calls wanting me to do just that. But I'm sure I would get twice as many calls if I did complaining about it. I personally do not like a stretched picture and most peoples sets have the capability to stretch if they want to.

I agree, Ken. I prefer to have the signal come in its original aspect ratio. The worst situation is getting a program that has been stretched, but was originally letterboxed. That leaves the viewer with no opportunity to get it back to its right state even though its original format would have looked great on a 16x9 screen.

Greg Jones
post #378 of 9231 Old 12-23-2004, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Channel 9 is OFF for cable viewers in Jacksonville this AM. I wonder why?
post #379 of 9231 Old 12-23-2004, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure why Channel 9 isn't on cable in Jacksonville. Weird. Maybe the weather caused a problem.

If anyone is interested, I've resurrected my old home page I did a while ago and added a dtv screen capture page. It's still under construction but I've got all the caps from the other day uploaded. Just go here:

home.earthlink.net/~gvillegeo/index2.HTM

and then click GeoTv for my DTV screen capture page. All commentary/criticism is welcome. Btw, I'm using an analog tv and capture device so the quality isn't as good as what you guys see on your hdtv's. However, I think on the WCTI page, you can see the better quality of HDTV broadcasts even on analog tv.

Geo
post #380 of 9231 Old 12-23-2004, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally posted by easternncnewswat
If anyone is interested, I've resurrected my old home page I did a while ago and added a dtv screen capture page. It's still under construction but I've got all the caps from the other day uploaded.

Nice screen caps. Good picture of Jami Turner of WCTI. I know Jami and her husband real well. Both of them use to work with me here in Greensboro. I hear she is expecting with her second child.

post #381 of 9231 Old 12-23-2004, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanx, foxeng... Jami Turner is very pleasant to listen to while watching the news. Seems very level headed; at least that's what translates on screen. I was hoping to meet her at this year's Share Your Christmas food drive here in Greenville, but it was a mad house. *LOL*

Oh well, maybe next year!

Geo
post #382 of 9231 Old 12-23-2004, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by easternncnewswat
Thanx, foxeng... Jami Turner is very pleasant to listen to while watching the news. Seems very level headed; at least that's what translates on screen. I was hoping to meet her at this year's Share Your Christmas food drive here in Greenville, but it was a mad house. *LOL*

Oh well, maybe next year!

Some of her work when she was here wound up on FOX News Channel. She did some hurricane coverage at Kitty Hawk back during Bertha I think it was and she was on FOX News Channel, CNN and MSNBC as well as a host of local stations (and ours of course!).

Jami is a good person, but don't get on her bad side! WHOO!

post #383 of 9231 Old 12-23-2004, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been a tv news junkie since I was a kid! I lived on the outer banks for 7 years beginning in 1997. I loved hurricane season when all the news crews would come from everywhere and set up shop at the Holiday Inn where I worked or next door at the Ramada. And considering the pressure you guys work under in a situation like that, I was lucky enough that all the tv people who I got to meet were very warm and friendly even while we had water flowing through our lobby! *LOL*

Geo
post #384 of 9231 Old 12-24-2004, 01:52 PM

foxeng,
Have you heard anything concerning wfxi/wydo digital/HD upgrades or if Fox is putting any pressure on the affiliates to get the upgrades done?

Our Fox affiliate seems to not be very concerned about getting it done or letting concerned viewers know what is going on.

Do you have an email addy at FOX hq's where we can send our concerns to someone who would be interested?

I wish I could get the Raleigh feed and they would never have to worry about me watching their station again.
post #385 of 9231 Old 12-25-2004, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by 2Scoops
foxeng,
Have you heard anything concerning wfxi/wydo digital/HD upgrades or if Fox is putting any pressure on the affiliates to get the upgrades done?

I have heard that the network is putting pressure on stations that are on the air to get things up in HD before the Super Bowl, but when it comes to stations not on the air, I have no info.

Quote:

Do you have an email addy at FOX hq's where we can send our concerns to someone who would be interested?

askfox@foxinc.com is the only one I know of. All of the others I have are the technical people who make things work and not the ones who deal with the stations in such matters.

post #386 of 9231 Old 12-26-2004, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the reply foxeng. Unfortunately, they probably don't have the financial resources and will probably not do anything as long as they can get extensions from the FCC.

Hopefully, Fox in Raleigh or Norfolk will kick up their power before long and I can get their signal
post #387 of 9231 Old 12-26-2004, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Hopefully, Fox in Raleigh or Norfolk will kick up their power before long and I can get their signal

Uhh... Norfolk's Fox is already at full power. 1000 kW DA on channel 29.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #388 of 9231 Old 12-29-2004, 04:38 PM

I copied the following off of another site. Foxeng or Ken12 have you guys heard anything about this?

Per the new legislation passed in congress recently folks who's local stations do not broadcast OTA HD will be labelled a "digital white area". As a result D and E will be allowed to send these folks the national HD feeds for the broadcasters they cannot receive (CBS/NBC/Fox and hopefully ABC).

The question is when this will happen. I've seen 60 days to 1 year....

This would certainly help us with the local fox circus....
post #389 of 9231 Old 01-03-2005, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

WRAl's feed from CBS is way behind WNCT's feed today.
post #390 of 9231 Old 01-03-2005, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I copied the following off of another site. Foxeng or Ken12 have you guys heard anything about this?

Per the new legislation passed in congress recently folks who's local stations do not broadcast OTA HD will be labelled a "digital white area". As a result D and E will be allowed to send these folks the national HD feeds for the broadcasters they cannot receive (CBS/NBC/Fox and hopefully ABC).

The question is when this will happen. I've seen 60 days to 1 year....

This would certainly help us with the local fox circus....

I will admit I haven't had time to really read the law, with the holidays and I have been traveling for work, but I will try and explain what I know or rather, what I think I know. YMMV.

The digital white area thing is a work in progress. The law doesn't require it for 18 months, this is to give D* and E* time to get the info together from the stations so they can make a decision on who is eligible. Sad part about this is the people it is suppose to help with have full power DTV signals by the time D* and E* start to implement this. Obviously, those who are indeed too far from the transmitters will get relief and I guess that is the silver lining of this cloud.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page