Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #721 of 9184 Old 02-23-2005, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea lets invade WFXI- LOL---- even the UN could do a better job there - LOL
Got my preamp installed today , have not had time to really play around with it but signals are coming in stronger ----
JSP I do not have sound on any analog channels ----- don,t understand that - what I have is DVI from reciever to TV plus component audio cables - plus digital fiber optic cable - I have a component cable from TV audio out to my theather system - plus the digital fiber optic ---- don,t see where I could run another cable ???? Don,t understand this ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9184 Old 02-23-2005, 05:49 PM

foxeng,

You and I might have been on the hobo show at the same time. Man I remember going on that show a few times. Heck if we heard someone was going we would tag along just to go. I got an Esso gas pump one time and played with that thing forever.
post #723 of 9184 Old 02-24-2005, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by foxeng
I really don't know but here is some history that might help explain.

Dish has been historically reluctant to pull DNS of networks if the local stations do not complain because Charlie doesn't want to loose the income. That is why he is so behind the HD DNS. He sees at as a way for extra money. He has been fined by the FCC several times for not playing by the DNS rules. If you can receive your local analog network stations with an outside antenna, then by the DNS you are not entitled for the distant stations. It is my understanding that the DNS waiver is only good for a specific location and if you move, the DNS is nullified. If that is indeed the case, when you moved, to Greenville, you should have lost the DNS stations since you are well within Grade B of all four major network stations, (WITN and WNCT at Grifton, WCTI at Trenton and WYDO in Greenville). I was born and raised in Kinston before cable came to the area and I know what TV was like the in 60's before WNCT moved over to WITN's tower and increased height and WCTI was WNBE and was on the tower behind their building in New Bern.

We had a VHF only antenna on the roof and picked up 7,9, and 12 with no problems and picked up WRAL with some noise when they were on the tower behind their building on Western Blvd in Raleigh, YEARS before the Auburn towers went up. I used to watch "Unka Paul and All His Friends" in the morning on WRAL and then watch WhITNey Hobo on WITN in the afternoons. I remember in 1964 when my father went to Greenville and bought our first color TV, an RCA console. We had had a black and white Philco which got moved to my room! He bought it in Greenville because no one in Kinston had a color TV in stock. He bought it to watch Disney's "Wonderful World of Color", the predecessor of "Wonderful World of Disney" on WITN. It was about the only color show WITN had at time except for Bonanza and it was YEARS before the WITN studio had color cameras. WNCT nor WCTI ran hardly any color programs and when they did, it was network only. In those days CBS nor ABC did color because RCA held the patent on color and they owned NBC so CBS and ABC didn't want to put money in NBC's pocket by buying color equipment. It was a very sorted affair! If I remember correctly it was years after WITN went local color that WNCT and WCTI (it was WCTI by then) went local color. I remember seeing Slim Short on "Carolina In The Morning" on WNCT and Romper Room on WNBE/WCTI in black and white long after we bought that RCA color TV.

I remember going to the WITN studios to be on the "WhITNey Hobo Show twice. Once when I was 4 and again when I was 6. (That would make it 1964 and 1966) and there were NO color cameras there then and the studio lights were so bright you couldn't see anything! When the cartoons came on, they had to turn all of the lights in the studio off so you could see the old Conrac black and white monitors. Even after they installed color studio cameras, there was a Jesse Jones Sausage with the singing pigs in a parade commercial that always ran between the last cartoon and the 6 o'clock news and it was in black and white for years after the color cameras came in.Amazing what is imprinted on a pre-teen mind!

Boy, did I get off topic! My point was that even in the 60's, Greenville had good TV coverage and that was before all the tall towers and good TV receivers so a DNS really isn't needed.

I storngly dissagree with no DNS needed anymore. I have no problem here at my location in TN. May I add however if it wasn't for digital signals then my pix here, in analog, is nothing to brag about either. My brother however in Huntington WV has problems a plenty. He has 2 transmitters within 10 miles and can't get a a watchable pix from either. He upgraded to the best ghost killer antenna and still has 16 legged horses etc.. He's within 30 miles of most transmitters and and gets maybe 1 channel watchable. There are many areas in the US for location problems may be in a grade A or grade B areas and still can't get a good signal. Digital is helping some but not all. Networks want a monopoly on their coverage area then they should make sure their coverage area is covered 100% which is almost impossible. If not then they should be allowed DNS or locals any way then can get it. It's bad enough they have to pay for it when we get it free. Waivers for DNS should be on a case by case basis. I'm not sure of what the locals are scared of. Everyone I know would much rather watch local network feeds if they can get them. I'm sure an occasional game not covered by local network isn't going to make the station bankrupt if they watch a DNS signal.

I also lived in Richmond VA with transmitters within 30 miles. This is a large city where you think there be no OTA problems. You could get most very well (did need and outdoor antenna) but the local FOX and UPN were very difficult to get a good pix even this close in. Almost all where multipath problems and with digital these problems have almost been eliminated but some do still exist.

Almost forgot from the hills of Cumberland MD where I was brought up. You still can't get a watchable network signal OTA. Some places no cable. So if not for sat DNS then there would be nothing. Sorry but DNS is needed and will be needed in some areas forever. Unless of course the local networks want to go to the expense of building a transmitter on every hill top.

The new local network protection law (I call it) should be repealed for this reason. It does not effect me now but I've been there and no what having no network TV is like. It leaves the little man without networks legally.
post #724 of 9184 Old 02-24-2005, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I totally agree Jimc.
post #725 of 9184 Old 02-24-2005, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Griff, I cannot understand it either. I guess you will just have to play around until you can hear something... LOL!
post #726 of 9184 Old 02-24-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Originally posted by jimc705
I storngly dissagree with no DNS needed anymore.

If you need a satellite to receive a DNS station because you can't (for whatever reason) not receive your local stations OTA, and your sat provider has your local stations available to you on their sat, you don't need DNS. The current rules reflect that in the SD world (HD is still being worked out with the digital white area stuff).

D* is moving very fast to complete all 210 markets with SD LIL and is about to start offering HD LIL. E* is trying to keep up. When that happens, you don't need DNS because you will have your local station available to you on the same sat system as a DNS. The days of DNS as we know them are very quickly coming to an end.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #727 of 9184 Old 02-24-2005, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

And I hope the high prices that people are paying for CATV are going to end! I hope that once people realize they can get HDTV OTA with smaller UHF antennas that cable will lose a lot of customers. Then maybe the prices will change... Higher or lower is another ?
I also hear TW is going up in May again after just going up this past December!
post #728 of 9184 Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hey guys, foxeng said someone here may be able to help me out.

My brother lives in Kinston and I just sent him my old MDP-120 in hopes of him picking up some HDTV ota. Since he's a big time Nascar fanatic, what are the chances of him picking up a Fox affiliate broadcasting in HD, using an outdoor antenna of course?

Also, what are his other options regarding OTA reception (sorry I don't know the area that well, I was only 2 when I lived there).

foxeng said he needed to shoot for Raleigh regarding Fox, anyone in Kinston able to get them?

Many thanks!

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #729 of 9184 Old 02-24-2005, 04:43 PM

Fox out of Raliegh is the only station in eastern NC broadcasting in HD---- I am a big Nascar fan living on the coast and I can,t get it in HD--- Some guys in Greenville can get it should be able with a good antenna get fox 50 out of Raleigh - especially when they go to full power---
post #730 of 9184 Old 02-24-2005, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jamielee
I was reading over at tivocommunity forum under the HD DVR thread and they were talking about a ATTENUATOR at Radioshack, they showed a adjustable attenuator for $9.99, I went to radioshack they didnt have it but they had a inline one for $3.99, I got it and added it, All signal remained the same , however WCTI was at at 65-72 signal, it jumped to 85-88.
A attenuator helps with multipath issues, dropped signals, caused by to strong of a signal.
One guy over there said he added the adjustable one and turned the knob and watched his signals rise.
I was worried about loosing RDU, but they were showing last night. Im going to try the Greenville Radioshack friday for the adjustable one.

I got an adjustable attenuator at the Radio Shack by Wal-Mart on Thursday for around six bucks. It didn't really work for me, but I'm doing the indoor antenna thing; might work better for an outdoor antenna. It really squashed all my signals to the point of them being unwatchable. May try it with the antenna in some other areas of the house, but I'm not holding out much hope. Darn it!

Geo
All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #731 of 9184 Old 02-24-2005, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you need a satellite to receive a DNS station because you can't (for whatever reason) not receive your local stations OTA, and your sat provider has your local stations available to you on their sat, you don't need DNS. The current rules reflect that in the SD world (HD is still being worked out with the digital white area stuff).

D* is moving very fast to complete all 210 markets with SD LIL and is about to start offering HD LIL. E* is trying to keep up. When that happens, you don't need DNS because you will have your local station available to you on the same sat system as a DNS. The days of DNS as we know them are very quickly coming to an end.

I think it's a shame that DNS is coming to an end. Not just because I've had access to them in the past, but it's a matter of conveinence for me.

A lot of times I work second shift and it's nice to be able to come home and watch something on the West coast feed. Yeah, I know there are vcr's and pvr's and all that, but it's just nice to turn on the tv, hit the grid, and see that show that you wanted to see earlier in the evening already in progress. Too, I'm a sucker for news around the nation and like seeing what other markets are doing. But that's just me...

After all, I still watch my locals for news, info, and prime viewing when I'm at home. Personally, locals ota look better than satellite. It's just nice to have the option of catching something at a later time.

That's really the only thing I like about what Pax is doing with their digital bandwith; East/West feeds. I'd love for other networks to latch on to that kind of idea. That's just an idea that I find appealing; utilize your bandwith for compelling reasons and to serve an unserved audience. There are a lot of people out there that work 2nd and 3rd shifts.

Anyways, just my opinion.

Geo
post #732 of 9184 Old 02-25-2005, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Eyewitness HD went down during first part of Y&R and then came back up... LOL!
They scared me for a minute, I would have been irate if I missed it in HD!
post #733 of 9184 Old 02-25-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Just curious, how far out does the WITN-WNCT signals carry clearly on a daily basis? If you visit the forums and are a good ways from Greenville fill me in! I am wondering how many tune in to WNCT at lunch for Y&R, particularlly towards the West. I know they come in strong out in Sampson County seeing it for myself. Also dt comes in strong down in Wilmington.
post #734 of 9184 Old 02-25-2005, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WRAL 5.3 is now active with a CBS mega march madness multicast slide.

Directv
2 HR20-700 HD DVR
1 HR22-100 HD DVR
1 D10
Samsung 40" LN-T4042H HDTV
Samsung 22" LN22A450 HDTV
Channel Master 4228 antenna
Greenville NC, Ral-Durham NC ota market
post #735 of 9184 Old 02-25-2005, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw that too jamielee! Got a pic of it posted on my website. TitanTV is advertising 5.3 and 5.4. Wonder if they're going to bring it online too for the games? I can't wait to see their multicast. The one thing that seems to be a consensus on is that WRAL is one of the best stations when it comes to pq and multicasting! Should be interesting to see.

Geo
post #736 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 04:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Originally posted by easternncnewswat
I saw that too jamielee! Got a pic of it posted on my website. TitanTV is advertising 5.3 and 5.4. Wonder if they're going to bring it online too for the games? I can't wait to see their multicast. The one thing that seems to be a consensus on is that WRAL is one of the best stations when it comes to pq and multicasting! Should be interesting to see.

In the past, WRAL has run alternate 4 regional games in SD on WRAL-DT and the "local" regional game on WRAL-TV and the and ran the HD game on their fiber feed to TWC in Raleigh. I don't know if they will do that again this year or not. WFMY here in Greensboro just last week put up two more subchannels (for a total of four) and the bet is they are going to do the same thing for the first time.

post #737 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In the past, WRAL has run alternate 4 regional games in SD on WRAL-DT and the "local" regional game on WRAL-TV and the and ran the HD game on their fiber feed to TWC in Raleigh. I don't know if they will do that again this year or not. WFMY here in Greensboro just last week put up two more subchannels (for a total of four) and the bet is they are going to do the same thing for the first time.

Well, maybe that explains why WRAL HD is now broadcasting in Standard Definition. They must be going to add another channel for March Madness. It's kind of a bummer though; it was strange watching the morning news and it wasn't in High Definition. I hadn't realized how much I'd gotten used to their HD newscast.

Geo
post #738 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 12:13 PM

[edit] oops nevermind...
post #739 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 12:52 PM

i'm having trouble with 5.3

picture would only show for like 3 seconds then freezes
post #740 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I dont get any Raleigh Durham channels, but I am going to get a channel Master outdoor amp. If anyone can recomend a good one please do! Griff, what amp are you using? I had a RS mast amp, but lightning took care of it, and it was a piece of crap to start with........
post #741 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

They must be having some issues with 5.3; I'm not getting any audio currently.

Geo
post #742 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder why eywitness 9 has not prepared to multi-cast the games, they should have the equipment to do it ready to go right? Half there viewing area is towards the west, so I'm sure people will be watching WRAL first over WNCT if they dont turn the games on....
post #743 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know why WNCT isn't multicasting March Madness. I always assumed WCTI was our ACC station. They seem to be the one's that show the games the same time WRAL does; WCTI shows ACC games on UPN 48.

Maybe there is some contractual obligation/stipulation that is preventing WNCT from multicasting. I can't see what, but I'm not in the biz either, so who knows, right?

Ken12 has let us know WCTI isn't going to do anymore multicasting until encoding software gets better, if even then. The FCC kinda put a "end" to multicasting opportunities with the vote just recently. At the very least, they delayed or stymied it.

I'm surprised, though, that WNCT hasn't made some move to mulitcast something. Kinda odd in my opinion. Or good depending on your preference.

Geo
post #744 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

foxeng or Ken12, I got a question for you if you happen to drop in...

Now that WRAL is going into multicast mode for March Madness, I noticed their primary channel 5.1 is now broadcasting in SD. Why don't stations, or your stations from your perspective, broadcast SD shows in SD mode and HD shows in HD mode. Does that require a lot of rebooting of equipment, programming, reconfiguring, etc? Is that why stations upconvert SD shows with the black/grey slides on the side?

Thanx for the info... Just curious.

Geo
post #745 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Eastenncnewswat, CBS stations have exclusive rights to March Madness, no other stations can carry them but 5 and 9 in this area.
Raycom stations can carry basketball games that are covered by JP sports, or can pass it off to another ACC station if they choose to in a particular market. Like in Wilmington Raycom owns WECT 6 and carries games, but if they choose they can pass it off to WWAY 3 which also carries games, and WSFX 26 carries games too. I'm not quite sure who gets the option first, but thats generally how it works.
Also CBS does carry some ACC teams on the weekend during the regular season.
I guess WCTI is the only station in this market who choose to offer games! Thanks WCTI for letting us watch some b-ball!
post #746 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

YUP!

Geo
post #747 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 06:54 PM

ok i went to the ecu game tonight and i was on the big lcd screen like three times because i was standing at midcourt, ground level with the mingie maniacs. WCTI, WITN and WNCT were among the cameras that we were cheering in front of.
post #748 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll check out the footage banshee!
post #749 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool, banshee! Have you had any luck acquiring better signal reception since you first posted a few nights ago?

Geo
post #750 of 9184 Old 02-26-2005, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Fox 8/14 are watchable tonight but poor. It makes me sick to go from a dt signal that is so good to a piss poor analog!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page