Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #9061 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can anyone tell me the status on the Digital encoder at 9? M. Madness is soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's wrong with their encoder? I just turned them on and it is in HD, doesn't look too shabby.
post #9063 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThenScottSays View Post

What's wrong with their encoder? I just turned them on and it is in HD, doesn't look too shabby.

Ooops. I should have said Dolby Digital encoder. smile.gif Is it back from repairs? Sometimes the sound is good, and other times it's just left and right channel.

Yeah, the picture looks real good to me too.
post #9064 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

LOL when you said that I quickly switched it to 9.1 OTA thinking they were off the air.

I only have TVs with two built in speakers so can't help you on the Dolby front.

In other WNCT news, Suddenlink has added WNCT, TNT, TruTV, and TBS to the channel 190-200 range to put all the games in one place together. I wish they had used WRAL instead though. Slightly better pic quality.
post #9065 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound needs five speakers and a subwoofer(LFE .1). An Audio Video Receiver capable of decoding DD 5.1 is a must. That's ALL.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #9066 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound needs five speakers and a subwoofer(LFE .1). That's ALL.

Did you think I didn't know that or something?

I have no desire to place speakers and string wires everywhere just to have sound coming from behind me. The tv already has decent speakers in it.
post #9067 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I have no desire to place speakers and string wires everywhere just to have sound coming from behind me. The tv already has decent speakers in it.
Duly NOTED, Sir!

Home Theater Aficionado
post #9068 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Get a wireless system if you don't have a way to wire. Once you hear the difference, you will be blown away. Dolby DTS is amazing!
post #9069 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

Get a wireless system if you don't have a way to wire. Once you hear the difference, you will be blown away. Dolby DTS is amazing!
With ALL due respect there isn't such an animal called Dolby DTS, period. Dolby Digital 5.1 aka AC-3(Audio Code #3) and DTS known as Digital Theater Systems are different based on the bits per second just to over simplify. It goes back to 1995 or 1996 when Jurassic Park was released with DTS 5.1 on laserdisc. At the same time at least thirty DTS 5.1 CD's were also released.
I sold my laserdisc players first and then my 600 discs laserdisc collection. I have 17 DTS 5.1 CD's and they sound awesome. SACD's(Super Audio CD's) with DSD is the way to go with surround sound music. I have at least twenty SACD's. Of course a capable AVR is required.
Retspin likes this.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #9070 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

No ACC tourney HD coverage in this market or Wilmington tonight. ESPN only HD. No Dick Vital.
post #9071 of 9231 Old 03-13-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

No ACC tourney HD coverage in this market or Wilmington tonight. ESPN only HD. No Dick Vital.
Charlotte is airing the games on WMYT-55 and WBTV-3. Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg has the games on 13-WLOS and WMYA-40. All ACC Network in HD.
post #9072 of 9231 Old 03-14-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Charlotte is airing the games on WMYT-55 and WBTV-3. Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg has the games on 13-WLOS and WMYA-40. All ACC Network in HD.

Greensboro aired them on WFMY, and Raleigh of course on WRAL. I don't know about this area sometimes... The games look awful shrunk down to nothing.
post #9073 of 9231 Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Greensboro aired them on WFMY, and Raleigh of course on WRAL. I don't know about this area sometimes... The games look awful shrunk down to nothing.

WDBJ in Roanoke, VA is showing it, too. Meaning all 3 CBS stations I get are showing the ACC Tournament. I do not understand the inconsistency with the ACC Network. WFMY has their obnoxious "2" logo in the corner, which is very annoying, but better than Dick Vitale. 95% of my CBS viewing is WRAL, anyway...

The SEC TV OTA is a similar mess. Unless you have Directv's Sportspack, there is no sure-way to get those games around here either. WNCN was showing the SEC Tournament on 17-2 (in SD). WCWG shows all the SEC football games but not basketball. I can't find the rest of the SEC games now. MSG (which is the SEC TV affiliate for the NYC area) shows all the football and basketball games but I can't find them tonight. The ESPN2 alternate channel that usually shows the second ABC/ESPN2 mirror game has "SEC Men's Tournament games" on now, but there is no video or audio. Not even the Directv logo. All of the SEC stuff if moot come August, thanks to the new SEC Network.
post #9074 of 9231 Old 03-15-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night, WECT NBC 6 picked up coverage, in HD, and has it again today, along with WYDO FOX 8/14 HD. It's crazy the way they do it around here.
post #9075 of 9231 Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Last night, WECT NBC 6 picked up coverage, in HD, and has it again today, along with WYDO FOX 8/14 HD. It's crazy the way they do it around here.
A round ball bounces funny too!biggrin.gif

Home Theater Aficionado
post #9076 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With ALL due respect there isn't such an animal called Dolby DTS, period. Dolby Digital 5.1 aka AC-3(Audio Code #3) and DTS known as Digital Theater Systems are different based on the bits per second just to over simplify. It goes back to 1995 or 1996 when Jurassic Park was released with DTS 5.1 on laserdisc. At the same time at least thirty DTS 5.1 CD's were also released.
I sold my laserdisc players first and then my 600 discs laserdisc collection. I have 17 DTS 5.1 CD's and they sound awesome. SACD's(Super Audio CD's) with DSD is the way to go with surround sound music. I have at least twenty SACD's. Of course a capable AVR is required.

Here is an interesting piece on optical vs. HDMI.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57620266-221/hdmi-vs-optical-which-digital-audio-connection-to-use/?ttag=fbwp
post #9077 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Here is an interesting piece on optical vs. HDMI.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57620266-221/hdmi-vs-optical-which-digital-audio-connection-to-use/?ttag=fbwp
1. What is your POINT?
2. I do NOT find the referred article interesting at ALL.
3. It does NOT have any relevance to the points I made, period.
4. Only a few persons new to Home Theater find the optical cable useful.
5. The optical cable use IMHO and other Home Theater fans is highly overrated.
6. A few HD TV's have the optical cable output to route DD 5.1 to an AVR.
7. I was forced to use an optical cable in order to do a sound upgrade to my Onkyo AVR.
8. Personally if I have the option to connect with a coaxial digital cable that provides a much better and tighter connection 'll go that route like I did in the past.
9. Finally I enjoy great surround sound with My Onkyo AVR and the aggravating optical cable is the least of my concerns.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #9078 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. What is your POINT?
7. I was forced to use an optical cable in order to do a sound upgrade to my Onkyo AVR.
8. Personally if I have the option to connect with a coaxial digital cable that provides a much better and tighter connection 'll go that route like I did in the past.
9. Finally I enjoy great surround sound with My Onkyo AVR and the aggravating optical cable is the least of my concerns.

I have given up with DD 5.1 or anything. Local stations (and Fox Sports) ruin it so often that it's just not worth it. Prologic II sounds nearly the same and it actually uses all the speakers, not just the right/left front.
post #9079 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. What is your POINT?

Unbelievable. If it didn't interest you, why did you bother to reply?I happen to agree with you about the optical cable, and the article stated that HDMI is better, and I agree.

The calming act has ruined Dolby 5.1 on most stations period. FOX is horrible. ABC and CBS have the best sound on broadcast. NBC is too dull, but not as bad as FOX.
post #9080 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

I have given up with DD 5.1 or anything. Local stations (and Fox Sports) ruin it so often that it's just not worth it. Prologic II sounds nearly the same and it actually uses all the speakers, not just the right/left front.
Your key word is "nearly." We are way PAST Prologic and Prologic II. If we go back to history and basics we have come a long way from monaural to stereo to Prologic and finally to DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. The blu ray sound formats are simply AWESOME and of course superior to DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. WITN CH 7 is the only local station with DD 5.1. It makes prime time shows like The Black List, L & O SVU, Chicago Fire and Chicago PD definitely enjoyable. That's when you are satisfied and know that your nice AVR was a good investment. I leave it at that.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #9081 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Unbelievable. If it didn't interest you, why did you bother to reply?I happen to agree with you about the optical cable, and the article stated that HDMI is better, and I agree.

The calming act has ruined Dolby 5.1 on most stations period. FOX is horrible. ABC and CBS have the best sound on broadcast. NBC is too dull, but not as bad as FOX.
I read the article in order to respond objectively which I did, Sir. What local ABC and CBS stations enable you opine the way you did? What parameters make NBC DD 5.1 "too dull" in your opinion? Elaborate based on your set-up, AVR, speakers and cables.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #9082 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read the article in order to respond objectively which I did, Sir. What local ABC and CBS stations enable you opine the way you did? What parameters make NBC DD 5.1 "too dull" in your opinion? Elaborate based on your set-up, AVR, speakers and cables.

Sure.

WWAY TV, and before WNCT broke down theirs was better than WRAL's, but WRAL still has decent 5.1 -- On NBC Both WECT and WITN are too washed out, and that is due to calming to suit commercials, but WECT has the edge anyway. I wish you could hear WWAY, and you would be shocked at how rich the sound is.

I have a Yamaha, with Polk Audio speakers, and an RCA sub. I use HDMI for Time Warner, and use a coax audio for broadcast tv.
post #9083 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Sure.

WWAY TV, and before WNCT broke down theirs was better than WRAL's, but WRAL still has decent 5.1 -- On NBC Both WECT and WITN are too washed out, and that is due to calming to suit commercials, but WECT has the edge anyway. I wish you could hear WWAY, and you would be shocked at how rich the sound is.

I have a Yamaha, with Polk Audio speakers, and an RCA sub. I use HDMI for Time Warner, and use a coax audio for broadcast tv.
Thank you for sharing your set-up, Sir. My humble OTA antenna and tons of trees around my house prevent me from accessing those channels, Sir. With ALL due respect I don't have anything against Yamaha. It's brand from laserdisc players to AVR's it does NOT impress me. Finally it is IRONIC that you promote the optical cable VS HDMI just to tell us that you are using a digital coaxial cable(I assume?) for DD 5.1 audio.
Again thanks

Home Theater Aficionado
post #9084 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for sharing your set-up, Sir. My humble OTA antenna and tons of trees around my house prevent me from accessing those channels, Sir. With ALL due respect I don't have anything against Yamaha. It's brand from laserdisc players to AVR's it does NOT impress me. Finally it is IRONIC that you promote the optical cable VS HDMI just to tell us that you are using a digital coaxial cable(I assume?) for DD 5.1 audio.
Again thanks

I love the Yamaha. I had Onkyo before, and it was good, but not good enough for the money... IMO - I use coax as I said in the above post. It does fine.

NBC does not have nearly enough low frequency in it. I am not sure if they set it at the stations or from the network directly, but my difference may be picking up syndicated shows. I'll have to pay more attention to both 6 and 7 during network. With FOX shows, I have to really crank it up to hear. The bitrate on TW for WFXI is in the 400's like 448, and the bitrate for WCTI is 192 with WNCT having 384. shocking differences...
post #9085 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I love the Yamaha. I had Onkyo before, and it was good, but not good enough for the money... IMO - I use coax as I said in the above post. It does fine.

NBC does not have nearly enough low frequency in it. I am not sure if they set it at the stations or from the network directly, but my difference may be picking up syndicated shows. I'll have to pay more attention to both 6 and 7 during network. With FOX shows, I have to really crank it up to hear. The bitrate on TW for WFXI is in the 400's like 448, and the bitrate for WCTI is 192 with WNCT having 384. shocking differences...
Are you saying that WCTI CH 12 broadcasts with DD 5.1? Yes or No? BTW I am curious what brand and model is your blu ray player? Thanks

Home Theater Aficionado
post #9086 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your key word is "nearly." We are way PAST Prologic and Prologic II. If we go back to history and basics we have come a long way from monaural to stereo to Prologic and finally to DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. The blu ray sound formats are simply AWESOME and of course superior to DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. WITN CH 7 is the only local station with DD 5.1. It makes prime time shows like The Black List, L & O SVU, Chicago Fire and Chicago PD definitely enjoyable. That's when you are satisfied and know that your nice AVR was a good investment. I leave it at that.

I am trying to sort-of agree with you. I am telling you that it's a losing battle. Many broadcasts are flagged as DD 5.1 on my Denon but my ears tell me otherwise. The Hurricanes, Bobcats, anything on ACC Network, FS South, NESN, and many many many other channels show up as DD 5.1, but are not. I agree that Pro Logic is old but it's better than DD 2.0. I would like to use DD 5.1 but since the aforementioned broadcasters can't get it right, I gave up. It's not going to change anytime soon.

The quality of local broadcasters - both video and audio - is simply appalling sometimes. And it's allowed, almost encouraged, by the DMA system, for locals. For example, what motivation does a small ABC station have to upgrade to true 5.1 or even full-HD when most of its viewers are on satellite or cable and only get your station - and are only ALLOWED to get your station? Most of the DMAs around here have significant overlap with neighboring ones. If ALL locals were on satellite/cable in all the areas they are receiveable OTA - IN HD - then I think many of them would be forced to upgrade or lose many viewers.

As far as cables are concerned, I am pretty sure there is no difference between digital coax and coax. Why would you not use HDMI whever possible? As others have said, including the article, it's the best. I have optical from my TV to my Denon, only because that's the only option, but there are some that have the HDarc "two-way" HDMI audio.
post #9087 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, Fox's audio was GREATLY ruined by the CALM Act. Foxeng gave an explanation for it in one of these forums, but that doesn't change the fact that it's quiet and "not quite right."
post #9088 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you saying that WCTI CH 12 broadcasts with DD 5.1? Yes or No? BTW I am curious what brand and model is your blu ray player? Thanks

No. I am saying the bit rate that warner gives them picture wise, is low, compared to others. I don't get why... It's like it isn't even HD. They give SD the same rate.

Currently don't have blu ray. Soon though i will be, that is why I wanted an HDMI AVR.
post #9089 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:

No. I am saying the bit rate that warner gives them picture wise, is low, compared to others. I don't get why... It's like it isn't even HD. They give SD the same rate.

Currently don't have blu ray. Soon though i will be, that is why I wanted an HDMI AVR.
OK, thanks.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #9090 of 9231 Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That explains why I have to crank up the volume when I watch The Following on Fox. I have a 5.1 setup with a JVC AVR and Paradigm Monitor V6 speakers. I use HDMI for everything, it makes it so much simpler.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page