Greenville, NC - HDTV - Page 305 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9121 of 9283 Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18


This map I got here... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1400112/the-official-avs-nationwide-cable-provider-lists-maps/100_50#post_24661162 Shows Beaufort co, Halifax and Wilson have 4 TV providers for cable?? Who are they?
jspENC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9122 of 9283 Old 05-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Retspin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wilson County has Time Warner, Centurylink, Greenlight and I think Charter out of Kenly.
Retspin is offline  
post #9123 of 9283 Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Time Warner dropped WNCT in Wilson and Wayne didn't they? I know Time Warner does not like out of market locals. I am surprised they haven't dropped WECT in Fayetteville and here.
jspENC is offline  
post #9124 of 9283 Old 05-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Retspin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't know about WNCT being dropped, but I do know a lot of people around here like to watch The Young and The Restless at 12:30 on WNCT instead of watching at 4 on WRAL.
Retspin is offline  
post #9125 of 9283 Old 05-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The way that map presents data is really misleading. Pitt has Suddenlink, Time Warner, and Media Cast...but none of them overlap anywhere. It's not like we have 3 choices.
AndThenScottSays is offline  
post #9126 of 9283 Old 05-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You're lucky to live in a co-op territory... they treat the customers/members better and offer service like that.

We don't have any competitor to Suddenlink here. Last I checked, CenturyLink had not even upgraded my DSLAM to go above 5 meg.
AndThenScottSays is offline  
post #9127 of 9283 Old 05-02-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The highest centurylink will give me is 3 Meg. I would like to bundle all my services with them and Directv, but I think I'll wait a while and see if they can do some upgrades first.
jspENC is offline  
post #9128 of 9283 Old 05-03-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

Time Warner dropped WNCT in Wilson and Wayne didn't they? I know Time Warner does not like out of market locals. I am surprised they haven't dropped WECT in Fayetteville and here.

WECT has legacy in Fayetteville that goes back over 60 years. Long, long time before the Raleigh stations took any active interest in Fayetteville. Most people there relate NBC to WECT, not WNCN.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is online now  
post #9129 of 9283 Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

WECT has legacy in Fayetteville that goes back over 60 years. Long, long time before the Raleigh stations took any active interest in Fayetteville. Most people there relate NBC to WECT, not WNCN.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know, but the only way you can view WECT is through Time Warner analog, unless you have a real killer antenna set-up, which is beyond what people are willing to do I think. Centurylink, Dish and Directv do not offer it. WECT does not even discuss the Lumberton, or Fayetteville area like they used to. Bladen county is as far out as they include in their news and weather now. WWAY still will include the edge counties though.
jspENC is offline  
post #9130 of 9283 Old 05-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Member
 
NewsNiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Checked with CenturyLink last week. 25 meg speed, unlimited usage for $49.95 where I live. Used that nugget of info to convince Suddenlink to up my connection to 50 meg, at a lower price than what I was paying for 30 meg. Suddenlink likes to tell you CenturyLink also has data caps, but they do not.
NewsNiner is offline  
post #9131 of 9283 Old 05-04-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamieh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington NC
Posts: 1,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have Suddenlink internet. I had the 3 mbps and was given a special price 2 years ago of $25 per month. I called recently and they had a special upgrade called $10 speed boost. It increased me to 15 mbps for $10 more. So now I pay $35 for 15 mbps service. I generally am getting around 21 mbps, every time I run a speed test in hitting 21-23 mbps. Uploads speeds 1.5 - 2.0 mbps.
On my bill it shows 3 mbps service then says $10 speed boost- 15 mbps.

I use my internet for Roku. and 2 Playstation 3 on line gaming and 3 iphones and 2 ipads and never have any buffereing .

Directv HD
Samsung UN50H6350 50" LED Smart TV


Channel Master 4228 antenna
Greenville NC, Ral-Durham NC ota market
jamieh1 is offline  
post #9132 of 9283 Old 05-09-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The atmosphere was so energized last night, I couldn't even watch our channels on the air. I ended up watching stuff like WOLO and FOX 35 from Orlando. I picked up stations I never have before.
jspENC is offline  
post #9133 of 9283 Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Zenyatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
AT&T trying to buy Directv for $50B. B as in Bravo!

Home Theater Aficionado
Zenyatto is online now  
post #9134 of 9283 Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

AT&T trying to buy Directv for $50B. B as in Bravo!

Yes. I do not like the current owner, so this would be a real plus IMO
jspENC is offline  
post #9135 of 9283 Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Zenyatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

Yes. I do not like the current owner, so this would be a real plus IMO
AT&T agrees to buy Directv for $48.5B.

Home Theater Aficionado
Zenyatto is online now  
post #9136 of 9283 Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone else noticing more difficult OTA reception this season? I am having a hard time finding a sweet spot with the height of my antenna for solid pictures and sound for what I believe to be massive tree growth in all directions. WCTI is giving me issues right now where I have my antenna from the ground. I lowered it a foot after WNCT was cutting out every few seconds, that is fixed, but it messed up a lot of other distant channels as well. I cannot watch any Raleigh channels except WRAL which is rock solid, and I also cannot watch Myrtle Beach with signal tearing up like it is doing. No matter what I do, I never lose reception of the Wilmington broadcasts, so I must have a good path there.
jspENC is offline  
post #9137 of 9283 Old 05-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Member
 
mans147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Antenna TV is now on Tutt Media WTMH 21-2??? My local OTA signals have been pretty steady, for the most part. Some very occasional interference sometimes in the early am, probably from distant stations trying to cut in.
mans147 is offline  
post #9138 of 9283 Old 05-29-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tutt 41 is off the air right now for me. 21 is green screen. I get the subs on 21 though. just second later, everything is down.
jspENC is offline  
post #9139 of 9283 Old 05-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Member
 
mans147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't get 41 here in Hubert for some unknown reason, even though I can get WECT and WWAY from Wilmington which are in the same general direction for me. I only get a moderate signal on 21, but I pull in 90% plus signal on all other Greenville - New Bern locals. I am only 13 feet above sea level and my antennas are just above my single story roof line, BTW.
mans147 is offline  
post #9140 of 9283 Old 05-30-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mans147 View Post

I can't get 41 here in Hubert for some unknown reason, even though I can get WECT and WWAY from Wilmington which are in the same general direction for me. I only get a moderate signal on 21, but I pull in 90% plus signal on all other Greenville - New Bern locals. I am only 13 feet above sea level and my antennas are just above my single story roof line, BTW.

So you don't see WSFX Fox on channel 30 / 26.1? I'm only at 20 feet myself above the sea.
jspENC is offline  
post #9141 of 9283 Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Member
 
mans147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

So you don't see WSFX Fox on channel 30 / 26.1? I'm only at 20 feet myself above the sea.
Not a solid reliable signal on WSFX. I used to live three miles from where I am now, but 18 feet higher in elevation and had no problem pulling it in with a much smaller antenna. I currently use a Winegard 9095 antenna with a CM 7777 preamp for Wilmington channels. (68 miles away)
mans147 is offline  
post #9142 of 9283 Old 05-30-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That Winegard has an extremely narrow window to where it will pick up a signal. The nose must be dead on, especially for channels that are weak, and for really strong signals to keep from seeing breakup when the wind blows. It is an excellent antenna. So you have 3 antennas? Beyond 2, it really starts to get complicated! If you join two UHF's you start to get signals out of phase if you aren't real careful about placement.
jspENC is offline  
post #9143 of 9283 Old 05-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Member
 
mans147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

That Winegard has an extremely narrow window to where it will pick up a signal. The nose must be dead on, especially for channels that are weak, and for really strong signals to keep from seeing breakup when the wind blows. It is an excellent antenna. So you have 3 antennas? Beyond 2, it really starts to get complicated! If you join two UHF's you start to get signals out of phase if you aren't real careful about placement.
My antenna setup is a little different, but it works well for me. I have 2 uhf antennas outside with a CM 7777 preamp at each. One uhf antenna for Greenville/New Bern and one for Wilmington with a remote control a/b box at my main television to switch between the two. In my attic space I have 2 high band vhf antennas, one for channel 8 and the other for channels 9 and 12. They are combined with a channel 8 jointenna, then split off two ways. Each of these lines runs to the vhf inputs outside on the cm7777 preamps. I did this so that when I choose to use the Wilmington antenna I still have some Greenville stations available. Kind of a crazy setup, I know. BTW, I had no luck at all trying to combine my uhf antennas, A lot of trial and error with no positive results.
mans147 is offline  
post #9144 of 9283 Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 4,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mans147 View Post

My antenna setup is a little different, but it works well for me. I have 2 uhf antennas outside with a CM 7777 preamp at each. One uhf antenna for Greenville/New Bern and one for Wilmington with a remote control a/b box at my main television to switch between the two. In my attic space I have 2 high band vhf antennas, one for channel 8 and the other for channels 9 and 12. They are combined with a channel 8 jointenna, then split off two ways. Each of these lines runs to the vhf inputs outside on the cm7777 preamps. I did this so that when I choose to use the Wilmington antenna I still have some Greenville stations available. Kind of a crazy setup, I know. BTW, I had no luck at all trying to combine my uhf antennas, A lot of trial and error with no positive results.
Combining antennas can be problematic, and often causes more issues rather than more gain. But antennas being combined should be identical, with an equal length coax attached. The 9095 is a very good UHF antenna, but it is very directional. What other UHF antenna did you try to combine?
tylerSC is offline  
post #9145 of 9283 Old 05-30-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 4,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

I know, but the only way you can view WECT is through Time Warner analog, unless you have a real killer antenna set-up, which is beyond what people are willing to do I think. Centurylink, Dish and Directv do not offer it. WECT does not even discuss the Lumberton, or Fayetteville area like they used to. Bladen county is as far out as they include in their news and weather now. WWAY still will include the edge counties though.
Isn't WECT the station who moved their tower after the digital conversion? And didn't they lose coverage area as a result?
tylerSC is offline  
post #9146 of 9283 Old 05-30-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Isn't WECT the station who moved their tower after the digital conversion? And didn't they lose coverage area as a result?

Yes.

There has been a drastic change in this stations broadcast and what they consider their viewing area. I think changes in management also have been major factors. When I was growing up, WECT was local in many counties. Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, Cumberland, Duplin, Hoke, Horry SC, New Hanover, Onslow, Pender, Robeson, Scotland, and Sampson. It also could be viewed in Harnett and Wake at least, maybe even Moore county when there was no NBC affiliate in the Raleigh area.

At this time, the only viewers WECT covers are Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover and Pender. The signal can be viewed though in the border counties, but they do not consider these areas in their broadcast radius. WECT and WWAY both have dropped Horry SC.
jspENC is offline  
post #9147 of 9283 Old 05-30-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mans147 View Post

My antenna setup is a little different, but it works well for me. I have 2 uhf antennas outside with a CM 7777 preamp at each. One uhf antenna for Greenville/New Bern and one for Wilmington with a remote control a/b box at my main television to switch between the two. In my attic space I have 2 high band vhf antennas, one for channel 8 and the other for channels 9 and 12. They are combined with a channel 8 jointenna, then split off two ways. Each of these lines runs to the vhf inputs outside on the cm7777 preamps. I did this so that when I choose to use the Wilmington antenna I still have some Greenville stations available. Kind of a crazy setup, I know. BTW, I had no luck at all trying to combine my uhf antennas, A lot of trial and error with no positive results.

A little bit complicated, but if it works for you, don't go back! I found that a rotor was the easiest way for me. So you get both Fox 8 and 14?
jspENC is offline  
post #9148 of 9283 Old 05-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Member
 
mans147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Combining antennas can be problematic, and often causes more issues rather than more gain. But antennas being combined should be identical, with an equal length coax attached. The 9095 is a very good UHF antenna, but it is very directional. What other UHF antenna did you try to combine?
My other uhf antenna is the 8 bay channel master. I found a good deal a couple of years ago on the old original model, brand new.
mans147 is offline  
post #9149 of 9283 Old 05-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Member
 
mans147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

A little bit complicated, but if it works for you, don't go back! I found that a rotor was the easiest way for me. So you get both Fox 8 and 14?
I do get a very solid signal on both. Channel 14 (47) WYDO is a little bit stronger. I installed the channel 8 antenna before 14 (47) was up and running on the channel 12 WCTI tower. I used to have a rotor. I got tired of constantly having to adjust for different channels. I got lazy I guess.
mans147 is offline  
post #9150 of 9283 Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Zenyatto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'd wish WNCT TV Mr. Bailey pronounce Nadal correctly. It's just a simple two syllables name with a pure flat sound: NAH-DAHL NOT nedal, 99% of sports personalities and analysts pronounce Nadal correctly.

Home Theater Aficionado
Zenyatto is online now  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off