Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #901 of 9184 Old 03-29-2005, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As I stated a few pages back, my brother lives in Kinston and picks up all the Raleigh stations just fine. WRAZ is his lowest signal, but it's stable. He's using an old antenna that was already there when he moved to Kinston. He showed me the antenna on his webcam, it's a UHF/VHF combo, though it was hard to judge the length. It looks like it was 15 feet off the ground (attached to his utility shed) and he isn't using a pre-amp.

I'll have him snap a picture of it and find out the length, though I guess I could just count the elements.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 9184 Old 03-29-2005, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I get no Raleigh Stations, but I have my antennas pointing the wrong way for those. When I tried to aim at Raleigh it fouled up all other channels. One day I will upgrade to a rotator and see what I can do.
post #903 of 9184 Old 03-29-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

PAX west is now operational again on 35.2
post #904 of 9184 Old 03-29-2005, 06:13 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks JSP---- I will try separating them some - I can get them 5 ft apart- that may be why my signal strength bounces around so much ---
post #905 of 9184 Old 03-30-2005, 03:08 PM

I separated the antennas out this afternoon made a big difference in signal strength - Thanks JSP!!!!-----
post #906 of 9184 Old 03-30-2005, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad that your signals are steady now Griff. I learned a lot of tricks just by reading the HDTV primer website!
post #907 of 9184 Old 03-30-2005, 04:53 PM

JSP- I was so excited when I got my antennas up---- but I got sick with that crud- and felt like s$#&t- for three weeks and have been sl;ammed with work----- just gotten around to being well enough and having a little extra time to fine tune the system------ made a big difference --- in signal strength
post #908 of 9184 Old 03-30-2005, 05:36 PM

Jsp after adjusting my antennas today I am able to get a good analog from FOX 26- are they at low power now on digital-?? When are they going to full power--? Do you have any idea----
post #909 of 9184 Old 03-30-2005, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

My Fox 26 analog looks like dung! WSFX is at low power on 30.1 to cover Wilmington Metro mainly. I have never picked it up. The latest info I got was towards the end of this year for full power. They have to build a new shack for the equipment and build out for more power. But it is going to be very directional towards the west, so careful aiming and amplification will be needed. I actually got WECT this morning for about five minutes for the first time. It has the exact radiation pattern as WSFX will have.
post #910 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Neighborhood Doppler is now on dt 9-2
post #911 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

You beat me to the punch, jspENC! Glad to see something on there now...

Geo
All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #912 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Now I have a Live Vipir Sweep from Newport on 9-2 with some static interference.
post #913 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I noticed that too... First, it was fine, but once they added the "sweep," it went whacko! On the flip side, at least I have a new addition to my "Technical Difficulties" page on my website! *LOL*

Geo
All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #914 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

You know, it's funny that we're witnessing the battle of the dopplers between 7 and 9. Now, both stations have their radar on digital sub-channels. I wonder which will rush to the plate with a full out weather channel?

Remember, Jamilee had told us long ago that the GM of WITN was considering some sort of 24/7 weather channel, but not WeatherPlus. I'm surprised that WNCT didn't try and beat them to the punch.

I just read recently that NBC is moving full steam ahead with WeatherPlus and is trying to sign agreements with as many station groups as possible. With the most recent deals, they are at 67% coverage of the US once the stations come online. I'm surprised they haven't gone after Gray Television, which owns WITN...

Also, this week Accu-Weather announced that they will be offering a nationwide product for stations across the country. The article referenced WRAL. After looking at the Accu-Weather channel on some affiliate up in Pensylvannia, it looks a lot like the WRAL weather channel. I wonder if this might be an option for WNCT down the road?

Let's face it, somebody around here is going to do a full fledged local weather channel. With WCTI out of the game until compression technology improves, that means it's got to be WITN or WNCT. I wonder who it's going to be?

Geo
post #915 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I think someone is working on clearing up the interference. The colors keep changing on my TV
post #916 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Now we need some storms so we can really see who's LIVE radar really is the BEST! I think VIPIR will win. The following channels all have it now... 5,6,9,11,17,50.
Now we need WCTI to get more than four sweeps to beat 9. LMAO! Come on Ken12!
post #917 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine too! I sent an e-mail to Bertie at WNCT to let him know in case he was unaware and mentioned the forum to him. Maybe he will take that as an invite to come in and talk to us!

I think we should all e-mail these guys at WNCT, WITN, and WCTI to let them know they have an audience. With Nielsen Media Research not tabulating HDTV viewing yet, the stations need to know that their efforts are not in vain. Plus, they need to know what the viewers are interested in seeing too!

Geo
post #918 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I think they read these boards, and just want to stay in hiding! I really like all stations in the market and hope that they keep doing the great job that they have been doing so far.
This does NOT include our Fox channel...
post #919 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I think that there might be some "lurkers" here that don't make themselves known. *LOL*

I agree that all 3 stations do a great job with their digital service. I myself would love to see a local news/weather combination station for our market. I do tend to watch WTVD 11.2 when I get the chance, but I wish they would:

#1. Brand it as the ABC 11 Eyewitness News Channel or something to that effect.

#2. Have an even mix of news, weather, and community affairs programming.

#3. Repeat some of the ABC News programs, which seems to be what they are doing now...

Off on a tangent here... I think this is what ABC News Now should have been. It should have been an even mix of national, local, and weather. Right now, ABC 11 seems to be working on doing their own version of this with repeat broadcasts of World News Tonight, Nightline, ABC 11's newscasts, and the radar plus Eyewitness News Updates.

I think they are on the right track, but it should be more like this. Eyewitness News updates at the top of every hour, rebroadcasts of the local newscasts, rebroadcasts of the ABC News broadcasts, and a Wralesque Weather wheel and have this stuff rotated every 30 minutes or so. This seems to be where they are headed, but, then again, we shall see...

Anyways, I'm glad to see WNCT on the map with 9.2! I just hope they do a full fledged weather channel. After all, the overwhelming opinion on here is that everybody loves Storm Team 9! I do too, but I still love WCTI's weather... When you grow up with something, it's hard to let it go! *LOL*

Geo
post #920 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I still watch Skip at 5 and Bobby Deskin in the Morning when I can. I watched Bobby when he was on Channel 3. They had him out on the weather deck at WWAY in a snow storm we had a couple of winters ago just before he moved over to 12.
post #921 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

No HD on 7 tonight?
post #922 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I never realized Bobby Deskins was at WWAY! I think he is an awesome meterologist and like his on air style and delivery.

Of the Noon news meterologists, I prefer Bobby to the rest. I like Gannon over at 9, but he seems like a newbie and is still trying to familiarize himself with the area. Jim Howard at 7 annoys the heck out of me! He is too animated with his crouching and waving his arms around and stuff! It really drives me up the wall!!!

Geo
post #923 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jspENC
No HD on 7 tonight?

Not network related; WNCN in RDU is running HD!

Geo
post #924 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Bobby and Colleen were both at WWAY. Bobby worked as an intern at first in the weather lab at 3. Colleen was a reporter then anchor before she moved up to 12 just before Bobby did if I remember correctly.
My favorite all time Meterologist in the area has to be David Sawyer. I like the way he knew every nook and cranny of the ENC area. It takes a while for those guys to familiarize themselves with all our little communities too I'm sure.
I admire the way these guys stay on air when we have Hurricanes come in. They really keep the area covered and prepared for anything.
Jim Howard does go crazy, but I think he really likes his job! Sometimes he is a little off on the weather forecast, but not too often.
post #925 of 9184 Old 03-31-2005, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I think Jim Howard loves his job... He just goes a little over the top sometimes! But it sure makes for an interesting forecast. *LOL*

Geo
post #926 of 9184 Old 04-01-2005, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I emaile bertie yesterday and asked when we would see a picture on 9.2 and I geuss he threw something up even if its not working properly.

My WTIN DT was not getting a signal last night, came back around 12

Directv
2 HR20-700 HD DVR
1 HR22-100 HD DVR
1 D10
Samsung 40" LN-T4042H HDTV
Samsung 22" LN22A450 HDTV
Channel Master 4228 antenna
Greenville NC, Ral-Durham NC ota market
post #927 of 9184 Old 04-01-2005, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

It was working properly last night when it came on around 6 in the evening. After they tried adding the sweeps is when it went haywire. I e-mailed Bertie last night to let him know it wasn't working right then. We should also e-mail him today to let him know. I'm sure he's working on the problem. Right now, they have it zoomed out onto the storm coming up from the Gulf. I'm pretty sure they're working on the issue.

I also e-mailed Vicki Jones at WNCT to thank her for channel 9 putting this up. We need to let them know they have an audience even if it isn't measured by Nielsen Media Research. I think that will help make them feel like their hard work isn't in vain!

Geo
post #928 of 9184 Old 04-01-2005, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I like having a radar channel, but wish there was some video.

Directv
2 HR20-700 HD DVR
1 HR22-100 HD DVR
1 D10
post #929 of 9184 Old 04-01-2005, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Me too! I mentioned that to the GM of WNCT when I e-mailed her last night. Hopefully, for WNCT, this is just the first step.

As long as it's been, it doesn't look like WITN is ever going to do anything more than RADAR on their channel.

Geo
post #930 of 9184 Old 04-01-2005, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Emailed Titan TV about WNCT 9.2 and they have added it to to line up.
WNCT WX

Directv
2 HR20-700 HD DVR
1 HR22-100 HD DVR
1 D10
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version