Greenville, NC - HDTV - Page 314 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9391 of 9414 Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Maybe for hurricane season?

- Trip
Possibly, but the vast majority of the time, our rain comes from the west or southwest, not from well east of the outer banks. I think the new maps look very pro though, compared to the old ones. The old radar graphic they had was the same brand WITn uses, and appears to have a mind of it's own when someone tries to move it by touching it.
jspENC is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9392 of 9414 Old 04-22-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
I don't know why they have the radar map configured where they show so much "ocean" though.
It is the way WSI does MAX. We have a MAX system and it shows more than it should, IMHO even though they can customize it anyway you need it. My guess it is based off the Havelock radar and that would have a lot of ocean.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is offline  
post #9393 of 9414 Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
It is the way WSI does MAX. We have a MAX system and it shows more than it should, IMHO even though they can customize it anyway you need it. My guess it is based off the Havelock radar and that would have a lot of ocean.
That could be it. I did notice the 3 surrounding radar beams in action as well as the Newport feed, the same as they used to do with the Weather central radar map. I haven't watched all the newscasts, so I don't know if it's a permanent placement yet or not. I have noticed they use different temperature backgrounds on about every segment I have tuned into though. I don't think they are using the RAWS or CWOP flows like they would sometimes do on the old stuff. WECT is the only one who is doing that right now I think still.
jspENC is online now  
post #9394 of 9414 Old 04-22-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
That could be it. I did notice the 3 surrounding radar beams in action as well as the Newport feed, the same as they used to do with the Weather central radar map. I haven't watched all the newscasts, so I don't know if it's a permanent placement yet or not. I have noticed they use different temperature backgrounds on about every segment I have tuned into though. I don't think they are using the RAWS or CWOP flows like they would sometimes do on the old stuff. WECT is the only one who is doing that right now I think still.
When we have our radar in an active mode, you can see the sweeps of the radars on our system as well.

This is what our radar graphic looks like in our "home" mode on WSI MAX.



All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.

Last edited by foxeng; 04-22-2015 at 02:14 PM.
foxeng is offline  
post #9395 of 9414 Old 04-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I hope the title graphics in the weather system is not a sign of things to come in WCTI news overall. Good heavens that's ugly.
AndThenScottSays is online now  
post #9396 of 9414 Old 04-22-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThenScottSays View Post
I hope the title graphics in the weather system is not a sign of things to come in WCTI news overall. Good heavens that's ugly.
It's like the titles they use at WWAY on their graphics. I think the version WECT uses and what Foxeng is showing are different than WWAY's and WCTI's. I like the smooth edged graphic myself, and not the pointed ones.

Foxeng, yours is like WRAL's. WCTI's looks much different.
jspENC is online now  
post #9397 of 9414 Old 04-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
WWAY's graphics are some of the worst I've ever seen, or at least used to be. It's been a while.

WITN has nice graphics. They are also very WRALish.
AndThenScottSays is online now  
post #9398 of 9414 Old 04-23-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
It's like the titles they use at WWAY on their graphics. I think the version WECT uses and what Foxeng is showing are different than WWAY's and WCTI's. I like the smooth edged graphic myself, and not the pointed ones.

Foxeng, yours is like WRAL's. WCTI's looks much different.
If you notice, even though it is moved to the left somewhat, that is to allow the weather person to stand on the extreme right of the picture without covering the graphic in a normal presentation, it is not 4:3 safe titled. We have been doing 16:9 framing on everything for over two years now.

You can have whatever graphics you want on it. We do all our graphics in house and our current package we built in early 2013 and debuted it mid 2013.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is offline  
post #9399 of 9414 Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
On WCTI, I've noticed that the ocean provides a good place for the met to stand without blocking view of anything. That may be why they panned the map so far east.
AndThenScottSays is online now  
post #9400 of 9414 Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamieh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington NC
Posts: 1,522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WCTI's new weather graphics remind me of graphics from 20 years ago.

Directv HD
Samsung UN50H6350 50" LED Smart TV


Channel Master 4228 antenna
Greenville NC, Ral-Durham NC ota market
jamieh1 is offline  
post #9401 of 9414 Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieh1 View Post
WCTI's new weather graphics remind me of graphics from 20 years ago.
What is old is new again!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is offline  
post #9402 of 9414 Old 04-23-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
What is old is new again!
That must be why I'd rather watch shows from 20 yrs ago often times instead of the modern stuff.
foxeng likes this.
jspENC is online now  
post #9403 of 9414 Old 04-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Member
 
timhk63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know what is up with Tutt Media channel WTMQ 41.1 ?
timhk63 is offline  
post #9404 of 9414 Old 04-25-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhk63 View Post
Anyone know what is up with Tutt Media channel WTMQ 41.1 ?
Not coming in for you either? Probably a STL issue. The other channels work. Try WTMH by turning your antenna north.

Edit. I just turned to 41.1 and my TV went to channel 1.1 What's up with that? The channel works fine there.

Last edited by jspENC; 04-25-2015 at 01:13 PM.
jspENC is online now  
post #9405 of 9414 Old 04-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Member
 
timhk63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
Not coming in for you either? Probably a STL issue. The other channels work. Try WTMH by turning your antenna north.

Edit. I just turned to 41.1 and my TV went to channel 1.1 What's up with that? The channel works fine there.
I messaged their FB page and was told to contact George ( owner ?) by phone, so I talked with him. He called someone and they reset a switch or something. After that it is 1.1 I told him this but he didn't seem overly concerned with it and that they would fix later . I can get the 21.1 feed but the .3 channel is now a different network. I was just trying to inform them they had a problem, which they should have known it already,but he did take the time to take my call and to call me back to see if the issue was repaired so I give him props for that

Last edited by timhk63; 04-25-2015 at 02:00 PM.
timhk63 is offline  
post #9406 of 9414 Old 04-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Member
 
timhk63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhk63 View Post
I messaged their FB page and was told to contact George ( owner ?) by phone, so I talked with him. He called someone and they reset a switch or something. After that it is 1.1 I told him this but he didn't seem overly concerned with it and that they would fix later . I can get the 21.1 feed but the .3 channel is now a different network. I was just trying to inform them they had a problem, which they should have known it already,but he did take the time to take my call and to call me back to see if the issue was repaired so I give him props for that
He just called me back again to see if was corrected and showing on 41.1 which it is now
timhk63 is offline  
post #9407 of 9414 Old 05-14-2015, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Last night I saw where WCTI had zoomed out their radar, and took away the curving 3-D tilt. It looked much better. The other way looked terrible.
jspENC is online now  
post #9408 of 9414 Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Member
 
stparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When is WNCT going to get a new lead anchor? It seems like it is taking forever. Varner was gone in September and Angela has been flying solo ever since.
stparker is offline  
post #9409 of 9414 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stparker View Post
When is WNCT going to get a new lead anchor? It seems like it is taking forever. Varner was gone in September and Angela has been flying solo ever since.
Though I agree they need a co-anchor, to be fair to Angela she is actually really good at going it alone.

I read somewhere that Varner is returning to next season's Survivor.
AndThenScottSays is online now  
post #9410 of 9414 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stparker View Post
When is WNCT going to get a new lead anchor? It seems like it is taking forever. Varner was gone in September and Angela has been flying solo ever since.
What happened to the "Coming Soon" with the desk shot and teleprompter? Did I miss something?

I don't think it looks good for there to be one anchor on there for this long. Maybe the ratings show something else though.
jspENC is online now  
post #9411 of 9414 Old Today, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jamieh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington NC
Posts: 1,522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was wondering the same thing, guess it never happened.



Suddenlink has added CW HD on channel 106

Also BOUNCE was added a few weeks ago to channel 150

Directv HD
Samsung UN50H6350 50" LED Smart TV


Channel Master 4228 antenna
Greenville NC, Ral-Durham NC ota market
jamieh1 is offline  
post #9412 of 9414 Old Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieh1 View Post
I was wondering the same thing, guess it never happened.



Suddenlink has added CW HD on channel 106

Also BOUNCE was added a few weeks ago to channel 150
Should we e-mail and ask?

Suddenlink didn't carry CW HD??? Unbelievable. A lot of people must have been on satellite or antenna.
jspENC is online now  
post #9413 of 9414 Old Today, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dish doesn't carry CW9.2 in HD. They never have. Does Direct?
AndThenScottSays is online now  
post #9414 of 9414 Old Today, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThenScottSays View Post
Dish doesn't carry CW9.2 in HD. They never have. Does Direct?
Directv has had it for almost 2 years I think... Maybe more.
jspENC is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off