Jackson / Meridian, MS - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1915 Old 11-02-2005, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wednesday morning.........hd tivo here too out in brandon. getting 85 on an outside uhf/vhf antenna. Some uhf antenna may pick up in the high vhf range just depends if your not getting it try one with uhf/vhf. rescanned OTA and getting 9-3, 9-4 and 9-5.

9-3 seems to be regular 480i.
I get audio on 9-4 this morning and it seems to be some upconverted sd material, still looks bad strectched out, i would rather just watch sd in 480i 4:3 if they are not gonna send or have3 true HD content.

Anyone getting any guide data besides the "regular schedule" where the program info should be. We all need to contact the station, directv and zap2it.com and hopefully they will get the guide data up soon to set recording and season passes off of it. Complain about 35-1 while your doing it too, lol.

Is Ering in HD tonght on nbc? did not get to check last night but sf said earl was not .
Hope they get their engineer used to turning the hd on, lol.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1915 Old 11-02-2005, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Earl - The Office - Law & Order SVU - I checked them all and none of them were shown in HD last night.
post #273 of 1915 Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 AM

Time Warner channel 1002 is up and running, but no HD (at least not as of last night).
post #274 of 1915 Old 11-02-2005, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Remember, for those that watch GMA on ABC, they will be in HD starting Thursday morning only in the Eastern and Pacific Time zones so they will be talking about it on air. However, ABC is not supplying us with a Central time zone feed so we can not carry it. ABC sasy they will have it for us by spring 2006. At least with the signal starting out as HD, the SD camera video should look much better. tom
post #275 of 1915 Old 11-02-2005, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

WLBT-DT - no HD again tonight. The picture quality is pretty poor on the digital feed also. 9-3 has an unusual aspect ratio (audio flag shows DD5.0 - no LFE, so no .1). 9-4 appears to be their standard 4x3 picture, but the signal appears to be bandwidth starved (audio flag shows DD2.0). Lot's of compression artifacts on 9-4.

I've sent emails asking if/when HD programming will be passed on, but I've yet to get a response. If anyone hears anything - let us know.
post #276 of 1915 Old 11-03-2005, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFjr View Post

I think I am going to put an attenuator on my OTA input. I continue to have dropouts on WJTV - and it has only been happening since they went to full power. I've heard that the HD-Tivos can have problems with signal overload - and my signal strength on WJTV is in the low to mid 90s.

I finally got around to picking up an attenuator from radio shack (part #15-1257) yesterday and that did the trick for me. The problem was that my signal on WJTV-DT was too strong (after they went to full power) and my old DTV1080 receiver could not handle it. I attempted to position my antenna to reduce the signal on WJTV, which worked....but ended up killing the signal on 35-1 and 40-1. The attenuator worked like a charm. So anyone who is still experiencing breakups on WJTV and feels their signal should be strong, I recommend trying one of these.

Jeff
post #277 of 1915 Old 11-03-2005, 01:12 PM

Is WLBT currently broadcasting low power digital? I'm only getting around a 41 - 48 here in Yazoo City - not quite getting a good lock on signal.
post #278 of 1915 Old 11-03-2005, 01:27 PM

Spoke to WLBT...they are working on their automation...now someone has to manually flip the switch. They said they would talk with their programming manager to flip the switch tonight. We will see.
post #279 of 1915 Old 11-03-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post

Is WLBT currently broadcasting low power digital? I'm only getting around a 41 - 48 here in Yazoo City - not quite getting a good lock on signal.

I spoke to them a few minutes ago & apparently they are at full power. You many want to try a preamp (if you don't have one already).
post #280 of 1915 Old 11-03-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburnham View Post

Spoke to WLBT...they are working on their automation...now someone has to manually flip the switch. They said they would talk with their programming manager to flip the switch tonight. We will see.

Help me out here. The phrase from the movie "Lost In Space"?
post #281 of 1915 Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM

MADHATTER1
I have a question for you.
I noticed you were from Yazoo City and questioned your signal strength on WLBT. I am in Pickens, but have not yet gotten around to putting up my OTA antenna (have it and accessories, but just have not put it up).
What setup do you have in Yazoo City (which antenna?, rotor?, amp?, etc.), and what type signal are you getting on the Jackson stations.
Would like to know maybe what I can expect in Pickens once I get around to hooking everything up in the next couple of weeks.
I will be putting up a Channelmaster 3671 about 25 feet in the air, a rotor and a Channelmaster 7777 amp. What type of signal do you think I can expect in Pickens from WJTV, WAPT and WLBT?
Thanks for your response.
post #282 of 1915 Old 11-03-2005, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

83dawg, every ota install is different with so manyvariables. but you have some good equipment there. hope you get great signal when you get it up.

does seem full power now getting a solid 90-95 signal now here in brandon.

Hope the HD switch flipper guy gets a raise and works evening shifts, lol.

Now if we can work on directv, zap2it.com and tribune media services to get the proper Tivo guide data for wlbt and wufx digital channels.

post #283 of 1915 Old 11-03-2005, 05:25 PM

83dawg, I have an old Radio Shack antenna that came with the house when I bought it. It's about 20 ft. off the ground. It has no rotor. I bought a RS amp. a couple of years ago to bring in better signal for the old analog tv I had. It seems to work alright for digital signals out of Jackson, but I live on a hill and get a lot of multipath. Through trial and error, turning down the amp and lowering the antenna actually helped get a better lock on signal.
Here are the results...
40.1 & 35.1 86 - 89
20.1/.2 76 - 85
16.1/.2 89 - 91
12.1/.2 96 - 98
6.1/.2 67 - 70

Not too bad for crappy hardware. I will eventually upgrade all of this when I get time and stick it on that 70 ft. tower laying in my back yard.
post #284 of 1915 Old 11-03-2005, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No HD again tonight.

Do you really think they would forget to flip the switch the first 3 nights of their digital existence? I have a feeling they aren't able to pass on HD and this is yet another excuse. What a joke.
post #285 of 1915 Old 11-04-2005, 07:35 AM

Quote:

No HD again tonight.

Do you really think they would forget to flip the switch the first 3 nights of their digital existence? I have a feeling they aren't able to pass on HD and this is yet another excuse. What a joke.

When speaking with WLBT, he threw out a bunch of other projects they were also working on at the same time they were doing this. He said they were not going to officially annouce these digital channel for a few more weeks...sounds like they aren't really concerned with passing HD right now until they have all of their bugs worked out...that could take forever...
post #286 of 1915 Old 11-04-2005, 11:51 AM

Quote:

When speaking with WLBT, he threw out a bunch of other projects they were also working on at the same time they were doing this. He said they were not going to officially annouce these digital channel for a few more weeks...sounds like they aren't really concerned with passing HD right now until they have all of their bugs worked out...that could take forever...

They didn't seem to waste any time in putting the FAMED "DT" behind their logo. I've seen it on their commercials and at the start of the news
post #287 of 1915 Old 11-04-2005, 12:45 PM

Tbondurant...can you fill us in on what needs to take place with WLBT for them to start passing the guide so we can pick it up on our Tivo?

For those with TWC...do you have the guide data?
post #288 of 1915 Old 11-04-2005, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Tbondurant...can you fill us in on what needs to take place with WLBT for them to start passing the guide so we can pick it up on our Tivo?

It's my understanding that DirecTV uses the guide data from zap2it.com - and if you go there you will see their guide data looks like what we get from D*.

If you look at TitanTV's guide data (titantv.com) it already reflects WLBT-DT plus it has data for WUFX-DT and WMPN (PBS) regular and HD channels.

You can contact zap2it.com via their feedback link to request updating the digital channel guide data for Jackson, MS.
post #289 of 1915 Old 11-04-2005, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade5 View Post

They didn't seem to waste any time in putting the FAMED "DT" behind their logo. I've seen it on their commercials and at the start of the news

I've noticed that also over the last few weeks.

The email I received from TWC is kind of misleading -

"We are pleased to announce the addition of three new channels to our robust Digital Cable line-up.

Effective November 1, 2005 , Time Warner Cable will bring TV One, WLBT-DT, and WLBT WeatherPlus to our
Digital Cable customers. We hope you will enjoy these new additions!

Ch. 1002 - Now all of your favorite programming from NBC and WLBT will be available in crystal clear High Definition programming. You can tune to The Today Show, Primetime programming, and even college and professional sporting events. Tune in on your favorite HD Television . "
post #290 of 1915 Old 11-05-2005, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
don't get me started on that TWC ad...& WLBT....I could fill up a page. Any how. An update on GMA HD. I did not realize until this morning that the weekend GMA is only one hour of live material so ABC is able to repeat it in HD. So, my observant operator noticed this morning that the HD feed was the same material so we did carry GMA weekend in HD this morning and should do so again tomorrow. At least we can do this on the weekends!
thanks for watching! tom
post #291 of 1915 Old 11-05-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Yes, channel 1002 has data just no HD.
post #292 of 1915 Old 11-05-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc View Post

I finally got around to picking up an attenuator from radio shack (part #15-1257) yesterday and that did the trick for me. The problem was that my signal on WJTV-DT was too strong (after they went to full power) and my old DTV1080 receiver could not handle it. I attempted to position my antenna to reduce the signal on WJTV, which worked....but ended up killing the signal on 35-1 and 40-1. The attenuator worked like a charm. So anyone who is still experiencing breakups on WJTV and feels their signal should be strong, I recommend trying one of these.

Jeff

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried this today and it made NO difference. All of my other channels are great and WJTV continues to go from 44% to 0% to 90% and back to 40% etc. etc. etc. etc. It was much better before they screwed with it. I live in the area of Hwy 471 and Value Rd. in Brandon. COME ON WJTV! What's the best email address for them?
post #293 of 1915 Old 11-05-2005, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

I continue to have dropouts on WJTV - but my signal strength stays constant (high 80s-low 90s).

I usually have a couple every hour, lasting anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds. I have not tried an attenuator as of yet.
post #294 of 1915 Old 11-05-2005, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

sf, i am getting the dropouts too like you, usually short 1 second blips, not the 5 second complete breakups. can't pin it to the hr10-250 or just ota. i get a 90-95 signal but it definately goes through some trees, so just a little movement in the leaves could be doing it here. don't watch much hd through directv. gonna watch the maimi-vt game tonight and see how it goes.
Sad guess wlbt is just happy they have the digital signal up and running. REALLY wishing like all of us on here they could turn on the true HD for shows that are in HD, no ND-Tenn in HD. Comon WLBT give us Nascar from Texas in HD on Sunday,,,,, please.......

tried to call them today but no answers on any of their numbers.

post #295 of 1915 Old 11-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Same here. I tried to watch the recording of Threshold from last night and it was unwatchable. I prefer WJTV-DT on low power. We're down to one good HD channel in Jackson. Keep it going Tom...

For all those folks who like to bash public television, I can only say that their HD signal has ALWAYS been perfect. What's up with the 'commercial side' where they supposedly make all the money and have to keep their clients happy?

Survivor a mess again last week on WJTV. They used to have a good station.

Enjoy.

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
post #296 of 1915 Old 11-09-2005, 06:19 PM

Looks like WLBT is finally showing something in HD...E Ring

About Time
post #297 of 1915 Old 11-09-2005, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I caught just the tail end of it and it was switching from HD to SD to HD to SD. Did it do this the entire program or just at the end? I only saw the last 5-10 minutes. Just curious...
post #298 of 1915 Old 11-09-2005, 07:10 PM

You all might as well quit making comments.. WDAM NBC down in Hattiesburg has been up for way over a year (maybe two) and still goes in and out, glitches when the signal's stable, and then when everything's working great they forget to flip the switch.

WLOX ABC on the coast has an occasional glitch, but for the most part they're great. Hell, they were back in HD with half the studio destroyed before we even got our radio stations back. And PBS (both that I can get) have been perfect since day one.

Kevin D.

AVS
Hattiesburg, MS
post #299 of 1915 Old 11-11-2005, 02:58 PM

Just seeing if those who are picking up WLBT are still getting a consistent signal (or is it dropping out on anyone)?

I am getting around 85% on my HD TiVo, however after 30 seconds or so, it will drop down to maybe 40% for 1-2 seconds...then back up to 85%. Will do the same thing after another 20 seconds. Just trying to rule out WLBT as my problem.

I am using a radio shack uhf/vhf antenna in my attic (for my VHF channels) with a channel master 7777 preamp.

Curious...
post #300 of 1915 Old 11-11-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Just seeing if those who are picking up WLBT are still getting a consistent signal (or is it dropping out on anyone)?

I am getting around 85% on my HD TiVo, however after 30 seconds or so, it will drop down to maybe 40% for 1-2 seconds...then back up to 85%. Will do the same thing after another 20 seconds. Just trying to rule out WLBT as my problem.

I am using a radio shack uhf/vhf antenna in my attic (for my VHF channels) with a channel master 7777 preamp.

Curious...

I get that same problem here also. It will go from 65 to 41 every few seconds or so. From what people are saying, WLBT is broadcasting full power. I reckoned they're still in the testing stage or I'm catching a lot of multipath.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page