Jackson / Meridian, MS - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1898 Old 04-24-2006, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All, I'm in Vicksburg 39180 and I've been trying a lot of indoor/outdoor antenna lately. For sure I can't use any indoor antenna because I can only get 2 HD channels (12 and 29). I'm wondering where can I get a telescoping antenna mast? And when you install your outdoor antenna how deep in the ground did you put your antenna mast? Thanks for any advice that you will share to me.

New to Audio/Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1898 Old 04-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I bought my outside antenna at Hooper's (the parts store at Mart 51 -hwy 80 at terry road). They have all the other stuff you need as well.

Radio Shack should also carry all you need.

I only bought a small section of mast and mounted directly to my house. I'm considering a telescoping mast. If I do, I'll mount it beside the house and fasten it to the side of the house near the roof. Shouldn't need to dig the base too deep because all the wind torque will first be hitting the bracket that affixes it to the side of the house. If I go that high I'll also use some guy wires. The forces on the antenna ARE NOT AT THE BASE.

Enjoy.

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
post #453 of 1898 Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 AM

My plan is fasten the mast on the eave of the house next to my satellite dish. I bought this outdoor antenna from Radio Shack Model: DA-5200 and I put it in the broomstick and I stick in my old satellinte dish arm and to my suprise I got all the local channels, but I don't trust the quality of this antenna, its made of plastic and it doesnt look durable at all. Do you think I can get away using the smallest antenna that Home Depot is selling? I think its an RCA outdoor antenna with 5ft mast.
Do you mind if I ask you what kind of antenna did you get from Hooper's? Did you install it yourself? When you said you mounted it directly to your house do you mean on top of your roof? Again thanks for any info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimes View Post

I bought my outside antenna at Hooper's (the parts store at Mart 51 -hwy 80 at terry road). They have all the other stuff you need as well.

Radio Shack should also carry all you need.

I only bought a small section of mast and mounted directly to my house. I'm considering a telescoping mast. If I do, I'll mount it beside the house and fasten it to the side of the house near the roof. Shouldn't need to dig the base too deep because all the wind torque will first be hitting the bracket that affixes it to the side of the house. If I go that high I'll also use some guy wires. The forces on the antenna ARE NOT AT THE BASE.

Enjoy.

New to Audio/Video
post #454 of 1898 Old 04-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I mounted my antenna directly on the eave of my house, but it only has five feet of mast on it so there isn't much torque (from wind). I don't recall the exact model of antenna I bought. It was around forty bucks. Standard UHF/VHF antenna, (looks like RS Model: VU-75 XR. I live in Jackson and I usually just use my first antenna (five dollar indoor antenna bought from Walmart - the set-top kind with rabbit ears and a small UHF loop. I use this antenna most often now, but I do have to fiddle with it for different stations. I still have my roofmount, but I haven't installed a proper antenna jack so I have to run it into the window when I want to use it. I noticed the last time I was having trouble with my cheapo indoor antenna (It was a Saturday broadcast of the Masters a couple weeks ago) I switched to the outside antenna (installed myself), but it wasn't helping. If you follow this thread you know that these digital stations have been up and down over the course of the last year and a half that I've been doing OTA HD.

I see you spent more on your antenna than I did !!! But that's not counting the mast, mounting bracket and coax that I also had to deal with.

You're obviously the kind of person that worries about problems that don't exist since you admit your current antenna works. You are fearful that it may stop working sometime in the future, but WHY WORRY??? IF it ever conks out you can spend the money THEN. In the meantime,

Enjoy.

post #455 of 1898 Old 04-24-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

i got a couple pixellations too on each cbs show i recorded last week. bout same as you sf, hd tivo with good solid signal 92-95 usually on wjtv dt but just seems to occur no matter once or twice a show. did it on ncis, amazing race, survivor, the F1 race sunday and houston pga golf tournament. not too bad, maybe once or twice during each say 30 time frame. not getting it on programs recorded from directv sat or wapt or wlbt.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #456 of 1898 Old 04-26-2006, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Shameless promo......Remember, GMA in HD starts Tomorrow (Thursday). Stereo audio only for now!
post #457 of 1898 Old 04-27-2006, 06:34 AM

hello again, thanks for the advice. But your right I'm the kind of person that worries about problems that don't exist. The reason why is, when I buy something I keep it for a long time. So I want something that will be there for years. Anyway, what kind of mounting hardware did you get? All I have is a 5ft mast. I will pick up some mounting hardware from Radio Shack this lunch time. Any suggestion what stuff I needed? I run my wire in the attic Tuesday and its ready.
thanks

Quote:

I mounted my antenna directly on the eave of my house, but it only has five feet of mast on it so there isn't much torque (from wind). I don't recall the exact model of antenna I bought. It was around forty bucks. Standard UHF/VHF antenna, (looks like RS Model: VU-75 XR. I live in Jackson and I usually just use my first antenna (five dollar indoor antenna bought from Walmart - the set-top kind with rabbit ears and a small UHF loop. I use this antenna most often now, but I do have to fiddle with it for different stations. I still have my roofmount, but I haven't installed a proper antenna jack so I have to run it into the window when I want to use it. I noticed the last time I was having trouble with my cheapo indoor antenna (It was a Saturday broadcast of the Masters a couple weeks ago) I switched to the outside antenna (installed myself), but it wasn't helping. If you follow this thread you know that these digital stations have been up and down over the course of the last year and a half that I've been doing OTA HD.

I see you spent more on your antenna than I did !!! But that's not counting the mast, mounting bracket and coax that I also had to deal with.

You're obviously the kind of person that worries about problems that don't exist since you admit your current antenna works. You are fearful that it may stop working sometime in the future, but WHY WORRY??? IF it ever conks out you can spend the money THEN. In the meantime,

Enjoy.

New to Audio/Video
post #458 of 1898 Old 04-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

4" Antenna Mast Wall Mount
Model: 15-0883 | Catalog #: 15-883

Price is listed online as under $11.

This mount is NOT SUITABLE for long masts but should be fine for a five foot section of mast. Of course you have to screw this mount onto an eave, so be sure you use good screws/bolts.

They also have mounts for attaching to a chimney (if you have one). The chimney mount is about twice as expensive, but I would have used it if I had a brick chimney to attach to because it would be more solid (I could use more mast without worry). Also, the chimney is already one of the highest points on your roof. Something to consider if applicable.

FYI, most antenna's are 300 ohm and require a 300 ohm to 75 ohm adapter (came with my antenna). They convert the antenna from the old flat wire 300 ohm type wiring into 75 ohm coaxial cable (the kind you're probably most familiar with). The converter attaches directly to the antenna (my antenna and most I've seen use wing nut connectors at the antenna). You screw your coax on there and run it into the house/attic.

Enjoy.

post #459 of 1898 Old 04-29-2006, 07:17 AM

Hello again, I finally put up my antenna yesterday. The only thing that I haven't done is put the ground wire. I don't have the ground wire yesterday. I just bought the wire today and will clamp it on the mast and I will connect it to my ground rod. Is this the correct way of grounding it?

Quote:

4" Antenna Mast Wall Mount
Model: 15-0883 | Catalog #: 15-883

Price is listed online as under $11.

This mount is NOT SUITABLE for long masts but should be fine for a five foot section of mast. Of course you have to screw this mount onto an eave, so be sure you use good screws/bolts.

They also have mounts for attaching to a chimney (if you have one). The chimney mount is about twice as expensive, but I would have used it if I had a brick chimney to attach to because it would be more solid (I could use more mast without worry). Also, the chimney is already one of the highest points on your roof. Something to consider if applicable.

FYI, most antenna's are 300 ohm and require a 300 ohm to 75 ohm adapter (came with my antenna). They convert the antenna from the old flat wire 300 ohm type wiring into 75 ohm coaxial cable (the kind you're probably most familiar with). The converter attaches directly to the antenna (my antenna and most I've seen use wing nut connectors at the antenna). You screw your coax on there and run it into the house/attic.

Enjoy.

New to Audio/Video
post #460 of 1898 Old 05-01-2006, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm in Vicksburg and the only channel I don't get is WLBT, but that is because I bought the 4228 8-bay UHF antenna and WLBT is VHF. I mounted it on my roof with a 5-foot mast and immediately had all of the channels.
I went to Hooper's a while back and they told me they do not sell antennas (I went to the one in Pearl and the one by Metrocenter).
post #461 of 1898 Old 05-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by branan1 View Post

I'm in Vicksburg and the only channel I don't get is WLBT, but that is because I bought the 4228 8-bay UHF antenna and WLBT is VHF. I mounted it on my roof with a 5-foot mast and immediately had all of the channels.
I went to Hooper's a while back and they told me they do not sell antennas (I went to the one in Pearl and the one by Metrocenter).

Hooper ELECTRONIC Supply. Mart 51 (intersection of Hwy 80 at Terry Road)

Grounding. Not sure really. Don't think I grounded mine but I definitely THINK YOU SHOULD. Maybe I'll go back and run a wire from the mast to ground. Wouldn't take much. Think that's all there is to it but somebody else might have know for sure.

Enjoy.

post #462 of 1898 Old 05-01-2006, 01:40 PM

All,
Thanks for all the help and info that you shared with me.

Oh, Branan1, I got an RCA antenna from Home Depot, the smallest they have ($35.00). Got all the non HD and HD channels with no problem.

New to Audio/Video
post #463 of 1898 Old 05-03-2006, 07:57 PM

I finally gave up on ota HDTV at my N Jackson house and signed up with Time Warner. I get periodic freezing. Some nights not at all. On nights that I get it, it usually happens more than once. It is more likely to occur on WJTV; however that is the channel I watch the most. I also frequently have a lip sync problem. Is this normal? I had to add the digital package to add the HDTV package, so its not cheap. It is a great picture when everything is working right.
post #464 of 1898 Old 05-04-2006, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawggone View Post

I finally gave up on ota HDTV at my N Jackson house and signed up with Time Warner. I get periodic freezing. Some nights not at all. On nights that I get it, it usually happens more than once. It is more likely to occur on WJTV; however that is the channel I watch the most. I also frequently have a lip sync problem. Is this normal? I had to add the digital package to add the HDTV package, so its not cheap. It is a great picture when everything is working right.

Not uncommon. Matter of fact, many of the mid to high level AVS receivers have a circuit to correct this. Not sure how prevalent it is. I've noticed on a couple of ocassions. Your freezeups are also (unfortunately) not uncommon. WJTV seems to be a prime culprit but the source of this irritation is hard to pinpoint.

Welcome to the digital era.

Enjoy.

post #465 of 1898 Old 05-04-2006, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like I'm receiving program guide data on the HD-Tivo for WLBT-DT. That will help in setting up season passes. Now - if they could just fix the guide problem with 35-1 and PBS-HD.
post #466 of 1898 Old 05-04-2006, 07:30 PM

I have a Pioneer 5050HD Plasma with it's own receiver. this feeds to a Denon A/V receiver. Does it have a lip sync adjustment?
post #467 of 1898 Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 PM

Meg, I don't think the Home Depot antenna would work for me. I live downtown and there is a huge hill and a ton of trees blocking my line of sight. I might try one anyway though this weekend. I would love to have WLBT.
post #468 of 1898 Old 05-05-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFjr View Post

It looks like I'm receiving program guide data on the HD-Tivo for WLBT-DT. That will help in setting up season passes. Now - if they could just fix the guide problem with 35-1 and PBS-HD.

Good news on WLBT...I have been bugging the heck out of them. Glad they fixed it.

In talking with 35-1, I think their guide problem will go away once they put it in HD...they are sending both 35-1 & 40-1 on the same signal & D* is only picking up 1 guide (the 40-1)...when they go to HD for 35-1 it will be on a different signal...therefore we "SHOULD" get the guide. Not sure when that will happen.
post #469 of 1898 Old 05-05-2006, 09:33 AM

They carry 2 antenna's in Home Depot, I got the smallest one, may be you can try the bigger size. I live in 61 South close to the airport and I got all the locals channels. And the average signal strength on all channels is between 6 to 7 bars. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by branan1 View Post

Meg, I don't think the Home Depot antenna would work for me. I live downtown and there is a huge hill and a ton of trees blocking my line of sight. I might try one anyway though this weekend. I would love to have WLBT.

New to Audio/Video
post #470 of 1898 Old 05-14-2006, 02:25 PM

Hoep everybody is having a great Mother's Day.

watch your todo or recording list with your dvrs as the pres is doing a short speach monday night and may miss or cause problems what you want recorded.
post #471 of 1898 Old 05-15-2006, 07:33 PM

I am moving down from the Chicago burbs to Clinton.,some of these stories have me worried about OTA HDTV! Anyone know what cable company is in Clinton? Hopefully I will still be able to use my media center to record my favorite shows in HD.
post #472 of 1898 Old 05-15-2006, 07:50 PM

Not sure of the cable company in Clinton, but you should have absolutely no problem receiving all of the OTA HD signals. I think the towers are about 10 miles from Clinton. Maybe someone that lives there can chime in.
post #473 of 1898 Old 05-16-2006, 07:13 AM

I am pretty sure Clinton uses Time Warner Cable.
post #474 of 1898 Old 05-16-2006, 01:13 PM

yes, for local ota clinton should be a pretty good spot. close to towers and cable from time warner if needed that way. abc, cbs and nbc affliates are HD, Fox has a digital just not true HD yet. last claim from local fox was june time frame for true HD, ....will wait and see
But check with Time Warner to see IF they carry abc, cbs, nbc locals in HD. there was some problem previously with them not carrying the HD broadcast for all 3. not sure if they got it worked out or not yet.
post #475 of 1898 Old 05-16-2006, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Lance - welcome to Mississippi - America's best kept secret...

Time Warner Cable does carry the HD locals of the affiliates currently broadcasting in HD. TWC has ABC-HD, NBC-HD, CBS-HD, and PBS-HD. I don't have TWC, but I believe they also offer HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN-HD, Atlanta Braves-HD, INHD1, INHD2, TNT-HD, and Discovery HD. Many of those stations probably require an upgrade to a higher priced digital tier. I'm pretty sure the networks are in the standard digital tier.

As QUADHD stated - we are still waiting on FOX and WB to add HD programming. They have had a digital signal for years, but no HD. June is the latest date, but we have been down this road many times before.

I will admit, I have been pretty happy with my OTA experience lately. I can lock onto the big three with hardly any issues using a crappy indoor antenna. All of them do a great job in switching to HD programming - I would assume most are automated now. If only the picture would quit pixellating every time lightening strikes...stupid physics...
post #476 of 1898 Old 05-28-2006, 09:43 AM

Before anyone asks, The Indy 500 is not in HD today. Do not know why but ABC's choice, I am afriad.
tom
post #477 of 1898 Old 05-30-2006, 11:29 AM

hey tom, i had read a couple places that it was tony george's fault not abc. nascar can do HD from there and hopefully F1 in the future will go HD.

Seems tony goerge just told people he had contracts and he didn't want to put up any extra money on his part to go HD for the Indy 500. it turned out to be super close race, just wish tightwad tony george would have made it better with HD.
post #478 of 1898 Old 06-01-2006, 07:36 AM

thanks for the insite.
post #479 of 1898 Old 06-01-2006, 07:32 PM

Has WLBT stopped HD feeds on channel 3-1? I'm getting it OTA, and for the last several days, I've not seen any normally HD shows broadcast that way. My guess is it has something to do with their equipment, just wanted to see if anyone has any info. TIA to anyone with any knowledge.
post #480 of 1898 Old 06-02-2006, 06:33 AM

I've noticed this too. The only show that I did see in HD was the Jay Leno Show, but it was it was having bad lip-sync problems.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page