Jackson / Meridian, MS - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1915 Old 08-23-2006, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well congrats! I know I sure tried as hard as I could when I first moved from NE Jackson (where I got every channel with my rabbit ears) to Vicksburg (where I've had to put that huge antenna up to get anything). I emailed and called every station manager in the area and they all told me that since they were about to increase their signal strengths I wouldn't need a waiver. ABC and CBS are strong signals, but I cannot get WLBT or Fox at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1915 Old 08-25-2006, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a heads up to let those know that Comcast is sending the locals in unencrypted QAM. I decided to test it out with my Sanyo HDTV last night and several channels in the 83-x to 84-x range came in. I didn't leave it connected, but from what I remember, they had both WJTV channels, the main WAPT channel, the main WLBT channel and the HD PBS channel. Fox and WB did not show up. It's worth mentioning that I do NOT have cable TV service, only cable internet.
post #543 of 1915 Old 08-25-2006, 07:25 PM

I am switching from Comcast to Dish Network in the next week or so. Since I will not be able to get my locals in hd anymore, I guess that I will have to hook up some sort of an OTA antenna. Does anyone here have any suggestions on a type of antenna or a certain installer...I really don't think that I should do this myself. BTW--I live right off Lakeland Dr. around Northwest Rankin High. Thanks in advance for the help
post #544 of 1915 Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 PM

I live a little farther down Hwy 25 and was able to pick up every channel just using a Terk antenna clipped on to the dish. I'm actually enjoying the HD dedicated channels for the "Big 3" and PBS on Comcast. The picture and sound are much more stable than what I was getting OTA.
post #545 of 1915 Old 09-02-2006, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The antenna on the dish is a horrible excuse for an antenna , as I have said before in this forum. I would not expect anything from it and if you do get signal, would not count on it to be stable. The antennas you have seen on roofs for years had that shape for a technical reason, not just looks. The Lakeland area should have enough signal from our station, WAPT, to pick up with the very the simplist of antennas but the Terk is just not even in this category. Others please chime in and make suggestions. I am better at sending out the signal rather than receiving it. By the way, WAPT-DT has been at half power most of this week because one of our transmitters (the newest one) had a part die that we had to order. It was back to normal Friday afternoon.
Also, for all you ladies watching TV during the day, The View will move to HD beginning 9/5. No word when the soaps will be in HD from ABC.
Tom
post #546 of 1915 Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 PM

Just spoke the engineering dept. at our local Fox 35, & they say they are in final testing & everything is hooked up to go HD...got to see it before I believe it.

They said it should only be another week or 2 before they are up & going...yeah right.

Here is their contact page. Email the GM or Chief Engineer & put the heat on:
http://www.gomiss.com/contactus.html
post #547 of 1915 Old 09-08-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbondurant View Post

The antenna on the dish is a horrible excuse for an antenna , as I have said before in this forum. I would not expect anything from it and if you do get signal, would not count on it to be stable. The antennas you have seen on roofs for years had that shape for a technical reason, not just looks. The Lakeland area should have enough signal from our station, WAPT, to pick up with the very the simplist of antennas but the Terk is just not even in this category. Others please chime in and make suggestions. I am better at sending out the signal rather than receiving it. By the way, WAPT-DT has been at half power most of this week because one of our transmitters (the newest one) had a part die that we had to order. It was back to normal Friday afternoon.
Also, for all you ladies watching TV during the day, The View will move to HD beginning 9/5. No word when the soaps will be in HD from ABC.
Tom

Why? I was getting WJTV @ 98%, and WLBT and WAPT at or around 90% signal. The only complaint I had was with WAPT. Never could watch Lost last year because of the major lip synching issues.
post #548 of 1915 Old 09-09-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburnham View Post

Just spoke the engineering dept. at our local Fox 35, & they say they are in final testing & everything is hooked up to go HD...got to see it before I believe it.

They said it should only be another week or 2 before they are up & going...yeah right.

Here is their contact page. Email the GM or Chief Engineer & put the heat on:
http://www.gomiss.com/contactus.html

Thanks for the update. Let's hope they don't stretch out the 'testing'. It'll be nice to get some more local HD. Can we assume they will also be passing HD for MyNetwork-35 as well as FOX-40?
post #549 of 1915 Old 09-12-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog58 View Post

Why? I was getting WJTV @ 98%, and WLBT and WAPT at or around 90% signal. The only complaint I had was with WAPT. Never could watch Lost last year because of the major lip synching issues.

Never had lip sync issues on our end. Some receivers have it worse thans others. You were just lucky with that antenna is all I can say.
Tom
post #550 of 1915 Old 09-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Does anyone know when wlbt will air Wheel and Jeopardy in HD?
The Today Show looked really nice today in HD.
post #551 of 1915 Old 09-13-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obladi6703 View Post

Does anyone know when wlbt will air Wheel and Jeopardy in HD?
The Today Show looked really nice today in HD.

Well, first of all you have the wrong station. Wheel and Jeopardy are on WAPT. Have always been.
For us to receive the King World shows in HD takes a $5000 receiver, and another $25,000 or more to be able to record it and play it back. So, it could be a while. I would love to do it and if I find a way, will do so. But, for now, it is SD for these shows. Sorry. BTW, the Today's show's competitor on ABC, GMA, has been in HD for a while & looks great!
post #552 of 1915 Old 09-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Rescanned channels on my usdtv box last nite. Audio but no video on abc. Anybody else or is it just me? Maybe i should scan again?

Thanks.

Tim

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
post #553 of 1915 Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, first of all you have the wrong station. Wheel and Jeopardy are on WAPT. Have always been.
For us to receive the King World shows in HD takes a $5000 receiver, and another $25,000 or more to be able to record it and play it back. So, it could be a while. I would love to do it and if I find a way, will do so. But, for now, it is SD for these shows. Sorry. BTW, the Today's show's competitor on ABC, GMA, has been in HD for a while & looks great!

Hey Tom -

Why not just record it on a $250 HD-Tivo and then play it back and broadcast OTA?
post #554 of 1915 Old 09-13-2006, 10:41 PM

Hi I'm new to the forum has anybody heard of a new law that requires the local stations to great wavers if you have poor reception in your area, or neighborhood covenants that don't allow old style roof mount antennas?
post #555 of 1915 Old 09-14-2006, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinHD View Post

Hi I'm new to the forum has anybody heard of a new law that requires the local stations to great wavers if you have poor reception in your area, or neighborhood covenants that don't allow old style roof mount antennas?

I believe this issue is still covered by SHVERA of 2004 (Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act). I have not heard of any updates to this act - and if there were any, it would have been discussed in nauseum on the HD Programming forum here on avsforum.com.

If you cannot receive at least a grade B signal from the broadcaster, you may qualify as an "unserved household". This has more to do with distance than anything else. The fact that your neighborhood covenants do not allow roof mount antennas will not get you a waiver.

In Jackson and the surrounding areas it is next to impossible to get ANY station to grant you a waiver - poor reception or not.

You can go HERE to see what grade signal you are flagged as receiving from each of the local networks.
post #556 of 1915 Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 PM

tbondurant,

Thanks for the response. Is there any chance that your station's newsbroadcast will be in HD anytime soon? My wife and I always watch WAPT news (don't know how I screwed that up in my original post).

Thanks,
Justin
post #557 of 1915 Old 09-15-2006, 07:12 AM

FYI, if you have the HDTiVo from DirecTV, they are now rolling out the 6.3 software update that gives you folders in your now playing list....like the DirecTiVos have.
post #558 of 1915 Old 09-15-2006, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinHD View Post

it is legal for you to put up an outside antenna no matter what your convenants say. same ole they may not like it but it is legal.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #559 of 1915 Old 09-20-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

If you haven't noticed, WLBT is now broadcasting The Tube on channel 3-3 (used to be the SD digital feed). All music videos, all the time.

WLBT also failed to broadcast their season premiers in HD last night. Things had been running so smoothly...
post #560 of 1915 Old 09-21-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

that sucks. step back not good.

i recorded Kidnapped wednesday night and it started out letterbox and turn to full hd about 20+ minutes into the show.

haven't checked it but why why music videos?? is this franks idea, LOL

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #561 of 1915 Old 09-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Is it just me or is FOX still not coming in in HD??

Also, I live in the Ridgeland area and cannot get WLBT to come in in HD. I can recieve every other channel fine in HD (except FOX which is not HD yet anyway) can anyone offer any advice? I am using a Terk antenna that i purchased from bestbuy and run it through my DISH dvr.
post #562 of 1915 Old 09-24-2006, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theperks View Post

Is it just me or is FOX still not coming in in HD??

Back on 9/8, wburnham said that WUFX engineering told him it would be another week or two - but we have all heard this before. It's been 2 weeks and I wouldn't get my hopes up for HD from FOX locally any time soon. You can read back through this thread and see where FOX has given us date after date and each date passes without any change. I take that back - they did have a change - they went back to FOX-40 from FOX-35 - makes a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theperks View Post

Also, I live in the Ridgeland area and cannot get WLBT to come in in HD. I can recieve every other channel fine in HD (except FOX which is not HD yet anyway) can anyone offer any advice? I am using a Terk antenna that i purchased from bestbuy and run it through my DISH dvr.

Is your Terk antenna a UHF/VHF antenna? WLBT comes in on channel 9 - which is VHF and they are not running on very high power. I also live in Ridgeland, and for me it is the hardest channel to pick up. I have an indoor antenna and my signal strength for WLBT is in the upper 60s/low 70s - which generally provides a solid picture with the occasional dropout. Most people I have talked to with indoor antennas have had to really play with the rabbit ears and get them near a window for any chance at success.
post #563 of 1915 Old 09-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So why would anybody trust them about this? Seriously.

OT but needs to be said: I'm foursquare against torture and
will work my hardest to unseat any tyrant who supports it.
Ditto for the absolution of habeus corpus

Enjoy.

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
post #564 of 1915 Old 09-27-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFjr View Post

Hey Tom -

Why not just record it on a $250 HD-Tivo and then play it back and broadcast OTA?

I have a Tivo HD deck and it does not output the proper format to be able to broadcast it. That sure would be nice and convenient and a bunch cheaper. Plus, the TIVO box will not record from the satellite that Wheel and Jeopardy use for HD feeds to stations. We can not "swipe" it from another station. It must be from the provider.
Tom
post #565 of 1915 Old 09-27-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obladi6703 View Post

tbondurant,

Thanks for the response. Is there any chance that your station's newsbroadcast will be in HD anytime soon? My wife and I always watch WAPT news (don't know how I screwed that up in my original post).

Thanks,
Justin

Wish we could do our local news in HD but that would be another 2-3 million dollars on top of the 3 millions we have spent already tojust get network HD out to the viewers. Equipment is getting cheaper and cheaper and hopefully, we will be able to do it sooner rather than later. I really am trying to do Wheel and Jeopardy in HD. That alone will be about a $35,000 investment.
Tom
post #566 of 1915 Old 09-28-2006, 04:22 AM

FYI, an email I got from a local Fox engineer yesterday...

I got your e-mail, I'm still trying to find out where they are on the HD situation. One of the pieces we use to transmit in HD comes from the UK and I believe we had to ship that peice back and are waiting on a replacement from them. I think that's the situuation, but I'm not 100%, I'll let you know when I have a definite time-frame.
post #567 of 1915 Old 09-28-2006, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburnham View Post

FYI, an email I got from a local Fox engineer yesterday...

I got your e-mail, I'm still trying to find out where they are on the HD situation. One of the pieces we use to transmit in HD comes from the UK and I believe we had to ship that peice back and are waiting on a replacement from them. I think that's the situuation, but I'm not 100%, I'll let you know when I have a definite time-frame.

Yet another rung on the ladder of misinformation from our local affiliate.

12/22/2004 - Local FOX station manager says they will be HD sometime in 2005.

12/18/2005 - Local FOX says they should be HD by January 2006

1/4/2006 - Local FOX station manager says FOX will broadcast HD by the END of January and WB sometime in March due to equipment problems

2/22/2006 - Local FOX station manager states that the deadline for HD is June 2006

6/26/2006 - Local FOX is to begin HD on July 3

8/11/2006 - Local FOX engineer says they are waiting on a part - hope to be HD by the start of the NFL season

9/8/2006 - Local FOX is in final testing for HD. Everything is hooked up - should only be a week or two away

9/28/2006 - Local FOX is waiting on a piece of equipment from the UK...the engineer does not even know if this information is accurate (huh?)

to be continued...

10/14/2006 - Local FOX transmits in HD!!!!
post #568 of 1915 Old 10-01-2006, 10:05 AM

I bought the HD Tivo box from Tivo and love it. It works much better than the old RCA/Thomson set top box I had for HD and I can record in HD Now. Even Ch. 3 comes in with a UHF antenna! Wonders never cease. Tivo sticks you for a signicant cost but what the heck.
post #569 of 1915 Old 10-07-2006, 04:12 AM

hi, i live in brandon and am looking to get an OTA antena, according to antennaweb.com the locals are around 20miles from me, the wife dont really want an outdoor antenna so i was looking for an attic mount type, but not sure what type to get and amplified or not? any advice is appreciated, thanks.
post #570 of 1915 Old 10-07-2006, 04:13 AM

Quote:

I bought the HD Tivo box from Tivo and love it. It works much better than the old RCA/Thomson set top box I had for HD and I can record in HD Now. Even Ch. 3 comes in with a UHF antenna! Wonders never cease. Tivo sticks you for a signicant cost but what the heck.

did you buy the tivo series 3? ive been looking at it, very nice!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page