Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1915 Old 04-12-2007, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimes View Post

So I'm watching the Masters in HD this weekend. I unhook my rooftop antenna because I keep getting dropouts. I switch to a five dollar set of rabbit ears, no problems.

I have the same problem with WJTV-DT. It used to be rock solid, but over the last few months the dropouts have gotten progessively worst. It's unwatchable now - and I have tweaked my antenna every which but loose.

However, my laptop receives WJTV-DT PERFECTLY with the 5-inch antenna that came with my HP Digital TV tuner. I've been recording CBS-HD on my laptop and have had 0 dropouts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1915 Old 04-13-2007, 07:06 AM

The DBSTalk is how I found this forum. One thing that I have noticed is that every area of the country has unique issues in regards to DTV and I was glad that this forum existed in that it deals with local DTV issues. I have had the 622 for two weeks now and still no programing guide info for the OTA HD channels...I am subscribed to the sat locals that should have done it. It is just confusing why some of the OTA have programming info and other don't.
As for the drop-outs with Ch3 & Ch12 they got worse with the 622, but i added some attenuators as the channels that were dropping were all at 100% signal and FOX, which ranges from 83%-85% signal strength, never dropped. I assumed that I might have 'overload' and it helped almost immediately. We will see over time as I have only done this last night.

I am in Brandon and using a directional RS antenna....
post #723 of 1915 Old 04-13-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

sf, your right about the problem with abc tuesday night, went back and checked Boston Legal and it was SD also, looked dang good for SD 4:3.

and i got the same wlbt screw up last night with no audio and recordings shorted on My Name is Earl and 30 Rock.

They still have no audio on 3.1 so far this friday morning, i just called and the receptionists said they were getting calls and emails about it. they have audio on directv sat channel 3, the regular analog 3 and the digital channels 3.2 and 3.3, just no sound on 3.1??

wlbt also showed another HD telecast in SD last Sunday, the National Heads Up Poker Championship, no biggie but it was rebroadcast on Universal HD over directv during the week and looked so good, the SD on wlbt looked awful.

when abc had the problem tuesday night with their HD programming at least it looked dang good in SD.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #724 of 1915 Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM

WLBT has had a major failure with the Harris Flexicoder. That is the box that takes the digital streams and combines them to a transport stream that a home receiver understands. A new module is on the way. There are multiple modules in the unit, that is why 3.2 and 3.3 is not effected. Unfortunately, there is only one HD module.

WLBT understands that viewers have spent a lot of money for their sets and we are working to solve the audio issue.

Thanks to Deryll who gave me this website, I never knew it existed.

Mark
WLBT
post #725 of 1915 Old 04-13-2007, 04:34 PM

Hey guys, New to this board. I live in the Jackson, MS area and I am building a HTPC. I am wondering if you guys know if QAM is supported in our area? My provider is now Comcast. Also, for those that have a HTPC what tuner card are you using for HD?

thx.
post #726 of 1915 Old 04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

mark, welcome to the forum.

so you work at wlbt? or contacts there? what is your title?

doulbe0seven, welcome to the the forum also, yes, the local cable comapny Comcast does send its signal using QAM. i think it has a low price basic tier that has the unencrypted QAM channels, like the locals and a few other channels. but you would need to contact them to be sure about exact channel availability and pricing.

post #727 of 1915 Old 04-15-2007, 02:40 PM

I have a Philips 42 Plasma. I have been receiving QAM HDTV with direct cable to the set. the Autotune of the set grabbed 1002, 1004, 1006, 1007 and 1013. this weekend NBC audio on 1002 had quit working. I re-ran autoprogram on the set and now I don't get ANY of these channels. Has anyone using cable in the Jackson area seen issues? Time Warner has recently been overtaken by Comcast, and I think they have re-arranged. The set I have does not allow manually adding of channels.
post #728 of 1915 Old 04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

wlbt as noted earlier has equipment trouble with audio on 3.1 since thursday evening.

comcast did recently have a channel lineup change, call them monday and see what channels they are sending the unencrypted channels on now. then rescan and see if they come in, if they were there before they should be somewhere in your scanned channel lineup hopefully.

post #729 of 1915 Old 04-16-2007, 08:54 AM

I use comcast and get the local channels through my Miglia TVmini HD QAM Tuner, you can also pickup the preview channels for the on demand system and the music channels but that is all that is not encrypted at the moment.

jwade 5

I had to reprogram after the channel shift to pick the local HD back up, they are now in the lower 400's I believe 430-434, do a rescan through the entire range and you should pick them back up

Also, if you a comcast digital cable subscriber and already pay for DVR they will upgrade you to HD for free... Found that out this week, should have it hooked up thursday.
post #730 of 1915 Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Did a complete rescan sunday. Nothing in the 400's. I will try again. Called Philips to see if there was a way to manually add the channels. Morons told me my TV did not support the FREE Unencrypted QAM. After making him open a copy of the manual and showed him it DID, he just got pissed and told me it was the cable companies problem. He must have previosly been employed by CompUSA.

Will try to rescan again tonight.
post #731 of 1915 Old 04-16-2007, 02:56 PM

dfg
post #732 of 1915 Old 04-16-2007, 03:03 PM

I am one of the Techs at WLBT. We have the audio back up. We will be tweaking more in next few days. We have added a new version of software to the Harris box, it should handle the compression better.

I am very glad to get it back up and running, as I am sure the other DTVers are too.
post #733 of 1915 Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 PM

Progress???!!!!
Called Comcast and was again mis-informed by a person with the IQ of a #2 pencil. When I fisrt asked about unencrypted QAM, I could see the deer in headlights look over the phone. after about 10 minutes on hold she came back with an answer. "These channels are no longer free"

I rescanned and after sifting thru about 100 channels that the atuoprogram locked in that was dead air. I found all the missing "FREE HD QAM" I know my numbers may not match other receivers but this is what I got.

83.1- ABC
90.1 - Fox
109.3 - NBC
117.1 - CBS
and 0 - ETV "Go figure"

PLEA to Comcast and Philips,

PLEASE HIRE COMPETENT PEOPLE!!!!!!!
post #734 of 1915 Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wade View Post

I am one of the Techs at WLBT. We have the audio back up. We will be tweaking more in next few days. We have added a new version of software to the Harris box, it should handle the compression better.

I am very glad to get it back up and running, as I am sure the other DTVers are too.

Mark -

Thanks for getting WLBT-DT back up and running. Once you go HD, it's just not possible to watch SD anymore.

As a Tech at WLBT, you may need some thick skin reading posts in this thread.
WLBT-DT has been digital for almost a year and half, so when that 'switch' doesn't get thrown and the HD is not passed to us, we come here and vent. The honeymoon period is over...

This forum is a great way to communicate with the many local HD enthusiasts. Tom from WAPT is great about providing us with information from an insider point-of-view. I hope you take advantage of this forum and can/will do the same.

Thanks again for keeping us up-to-date.

BTW...when you say compression - are you talking video compression? Should the new software improve the quality of the picture? Less blocking on fast moving images?
post #735 of 1915 Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 AM

One thing I have learned is thick skin, it didn't come natural that is for sure. Yes, you are correct, on fast moving objects, it should respond better.

Broadcasters are having to learn the consumer end of the business, it's not like it use to be. There is a difference in TV's and receivers, not only is it looking for RF but PSIP information as well. If the box doesn't understand the PSIP, it won't pick up the digital signal. You can move the antenna all you want, it may not mean a bit of difference.

The downside of a broadcaster is that you have comments on the different digital streams to cable companies, you can't just go around flip flopping channels around. Bandwith is bandwith and you just have to work with what you got.

I am learning alot about the problems on the consumer end, it will help us address issues that we normally don't see. Thanks to this forum, I am more aware of the issues viewers face.

Mark
WLBT Tech
post #736 of 1915 Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 AM

Tbondurant, I have noticed in the past few weeks my WAPT signal strength has gone down in the 70's (& has not been very steady at all). For years it has been steady around 90-95% along with WJTV. I have not moved any of my antennas in my attic.

Just curious if you guys have been doing any work on your end or has the signal strength changed to your knowledge? I know you mentioned something about some software changes around the 21st of March...did that have anything to do with it?

Has anyone else experienced any signal drop on WAPT?

Maybe I just had some trees around my house grow over time??

Just curious. Thanks!
post #737 of 1915 Old 04-25-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

My WAPT-DT signal strength has dropped.

I've gone from a steady 95 to currently around 75. I first noticed it about 2-3 weeks ago. I have been receiving some dropouts - which I never had before.
post #738 of 1915 Old 04-25-2007, 05:18 PM

Glad to know I am not the only one. Maybe tbondurant can shed some light on this.
post #739 of 1915 Old 04-25-2007, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As far as I can tell, our power is going out the same as always. The only thing I can imagine is foliage growth. Tom
Update: now that I have checked the system this morning, we were on the back up "exciter" which would affect the quality of the signal but not the strength. Power bumps sometimes change this unfortunately and I had not noticed it. It is back to normal now.
Tom
post #740 of 1915 Old 04-26-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbondurant View Post

As far as I can tell, our power is going out the same as always. The only thing I can imagine is foliage growth. Tom
Update: now that I have checked the system this morning, we were on the back up "exciter" which would affect the quality of the signal but not the strength. Power bumps sometimes change this unfortunately and I had not noticed it. It is back to normal now.
Tom

tbondurant, whatever you did got my signal strength back up to the 90's & steady. Thanks for checking into this & fixing it.
post #741 of 1915 Old 04-28-2007, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
good to know. transmitter power stays the same but the ones and zeros go out cleaner. go figure.
tom
post #742 of 1915 Old 04-28-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

I'm back at 95 again, also. Thanks for checking on this...
post #743 of 1915 Old 05-05-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark Wade

sorry to bring up the problems but what happened to the telecast of the Kentucky Derby today??

7 minutes of it went SD. the crucial minutes before the race and the large majority of the race. The HD popped back on with maybe 5 seconds left out of the 2:02 of the actual race.

was this a local or NBC national problem??

post #744 of 1915 Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The nascar race was postponed due to rain last night. So Nascar reschedules the complete race and Fox is to show it today at 12 noon on Fox WDBD DT 40.1 BUT NOT IN HD???

Sad but more expected then suprised when it was postponed and rescheduled for today.

Tom or Wade I know it is not your stations but can you give us any insight as to why this happens. What is so involved with having someone in engineering to make sure the stations are putting out HD?

update: i called the wdbd number 601-922-1234 and left a message for Tim Irvine the station engineer and also on the main phone message line. They turned the HD about 20 minutes after I called in and left the messages. It came on HD about 1 hour 26 minutes into the 4 hour telecast and everything was fine from then till the end. At least someone turned it to HD whether they caught it themselves or got the phone messages and then turned it on.

post #745 of 1915 Old 05-07-2007, 02:31 PM

It is unclear what the problem was for the Kentucky Derby, once the "switch" is flipped to network, we generally don't overide it unless we are going back to local. I will contact network and see if I can get an answer.
post #746 of 1915 Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

update: i called the wdbd number 601-922-1234 and left a message for Tim Irvine the station engineer and also on the main phone message line.

Good info to have...thanks for posting this.
post #747 of 1915 Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

My mistake, Tim Irvine is the Production Manager, he emailed me and said that Robert Flanagan is the WDBD Fox station engineer.

He said it was explained to him that it was a Fox network problem. Also that it wasn't my phone call as it wouldn't have been received until Monday morning. An avs member from San Francisco said they got the entire race in HD so not sure where the network problem was with the problem. Anther avs'er said their local NBC in Nevada claimed NBC network HD was down all weekend, which certainly was not true.

post #748 of 1915 Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wade View Post

It is unclear what the problem was for the Kentucky Derby, once the "switch" is flipped to network, we generally don't overide it unless we are going back to local. I will contact network and see if I can get an answer.

Thanks for checking into it Mark. I know HD is still new and answering to one person or small group isn't so easy. Maybe more when the Harris encoder went out for a few days.........but really do appreciate you and Tom being on here and responding to the threads. makes it much easier then us on here speculating and fuming over not getting answers/reasons for the problems.

post #749 of 1915 Old 05-08-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

My mistake, Tim Irvine is the Production Manager, he emailed me and said that Robert Flanagan is the WDBD Fox station engineer.

He said it was explained to him that it was a Fox network problem.

dss - after I saw your message on Sunday about the race not being in HD locally I checked D* channel 88 and the New York feed was in HD. Doesn't sound like a network problem to me...
post #750 of 1915 Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

sf, exactly, I mean if it was a national network problem it would be much easier to blame. but if it isn't these stations need to be looking into why/what local problems they are having and work on fixing them.

I get 88 too, BUT had a tree/leaves growing in and lost Sat B slowly and then completely within the past 3 weeks. Just had that Sweet Gum tree topped yesterday late afternoon and now I'm back to 95 signal on Sat B just like Sats A and C.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page