4Likes

post #361 of 2558 Old 02-23-2010, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1973 View Post

Wow, been a while since I've seen some of these names, back to the old RochesterHDTV page! I've moved and can't get satellite due to lots of trees so I'm going with TWC. Got a TiVoHD, truck roll scheduled for Fri. for the cable card install but they told me it could be a couple weeks for the tuning adapter. Can someone tell me what the current SDV channels are so I know what I'll be missing till then?
Thanks!

A lot, pretty much the entire HD tier 1,000 range of channels. Look on the TW Rochester site under cable cards as they provide the complete list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2558 Old 02-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim9710 View Post

I am in the Henrietta area and using a SA 3250HD box from Time Warner Cable that has been installed about 3 years.

Recently in the last few months I have noticed a couple of picture quality issues and am wondering if anyone else is seeing the same stuff.

While watching football and college basketball on WROC HD (1008) every once in a while I will see the picture kind of stutter for just a second and then it goes back to normal. I've also at times seen this on WHEC (1010) and just recently on Sunday night on MSNBC HD watching the USA vs Canada hockey game. The picture doesn't pixellate or get blurry but it just seems to stutter slightly. It doesn't happen all the time but is enough to be annoying once you notice it.

Another thing I have noticed, only seems to occur on ESPNHD (1052). Sometimes on this channel I will see the picture artifact or pixellate quite badly and then clear right up. Typically this only happens during sporting events, with regular studio shows I don't see this.

I have checked signal strength through the menus on the box and it doesn't appear to be an issue of low signal causing this. I've also viewed different HD and SD sources on my television and don't see any of these issues so I have ruled out the television being the cause.

Has anyone else experienced any of these particular issues? I am trying to narrow down the cause to either the network's broadcast itself, Time Warner's transmission or possibly the SA 3250 cable box not functioning correctly.

Thanks for any input.

Tim

I Just Upgraded to Digital Cable & i haven't seen any problems with any of the channels i get with my HD DVR.
post #363 of 2558 Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim9710 View Post

I am in the Henrietta area and using a SA 3250HD box from Time Warner Cable that has been installed about 3 years.

Recently in the last few months I have noticed a couple of picture quality issues and am wondering if anyone else is seeing the same stuff.

While watching football and college basketball on WROC HD (1008) every once in a while I will see the picture kind of stutter for just a second and then it goes back to normal. I've also at times seen this on WHEC (1010) and just recently on Sunday night on MSNBC HD watching the USA vs Canada hockey game. The picture doesn't pixellate or get blurry but it just seems to stutter slightly. It doesn't happen all the time but is enough to be annoying once you notice it.

Another thing I have noticed, only seems to occur on ESPNHD (1052). Sometimes on this channel I will see the picture artifact or pixellate quite badly and then clear right up. Typically this only happens during sporting events, with regular studio shows I don't see this.

I have checked signal strength through the menus on the box and it doesn't appear to be an issue of low signal causing this. I've also viewed different HD and SD sources on my television and don't see any of these issues so I have ruled out the television being the cause.

Has anyone else experienced any of these particular issues? I am trying to narrow down the cause to either the network's broadcast itself, Time Warner's transmission or possibly the SA 3250 cable box not functioning correctly.

Thanks for any input.

Tim

I've run into problems like this - but mostly on filmed drama programs on ABC. I found that my problems were related to the particular brand of TV (in this case Sonys) and the 3:2 pull down and motion enhancer settings. Around the same time I did see some comments somewhere on AVS about this issue on some sports programs (some of which were via satellite) and the conjecture that it was an issue with encoders for the connection between the sports venue and the network. I didn't follow the issue thoroughly though. I really felt that it was a similar issue to what I was experiencing - an interaction between encoding and the particular TV set. Not anything about either TW or the cable box.

Dave Hancock
post #364 of 2558 Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1973 View Post

Wow, been a while since I've seen some of these names, back to the old RochesterHDTV page! I've moved and can't get satellite due to lots of trees so I'm going with TWC. Got a TiVoHD, truck roll scheduled for Fri. for the cable card install but they told me it could be a couple weeks for the tuning adapter. Can someone tell me what the current SDV channels are so I know what I'll be missing till then?
Thanks!

Hello Mike, glad that you found this place. Sad that the old site is apparently gone forever.
post #365 of 2558 Old 02-25-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebob View Post

I just came here to post the same thing about the sidebars. I noticed them a couple nights ago.

Does anybody have any guesses, or better yet facts, about the sidebars?
post #366 of 2558 Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post

Does anybody have any guesses, or better yet facts, about the sidebars?

The sidebars are coming from BrandNet, which is a high def graphics inserter by Harris and is specific to ABC stations. Among other things, this box automatically inserts local time and temperature into Good Morning America graphics, as well as different forms of the station logo into network programming and promos. The sidebars are triggered locally by the same logic that controls the HD switcher.
post #367 of 2558 Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 AM

So yet another Olympics where WHEC-13 fails to deliver 5.1 surround sound.

Thanks guys. Keep up the good work. *Fingers crossed that Fox or ESPN get the 2016 games and beyond, Rochesterians will still be no doubt waiting*
post #368 of 2558 Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgio57 View Post

Are the samsung dvr boxes better than the SA boxes. I called time warner and they said they have them but said they just pick one and what you get is what you get.

Had a friendly tech out on a call at the house a couple days ago (signal issues after I moved my cable modem) and I asked him about the Samsung boxes. He told me they're still only available to certain TW techs on a trial basis still. Someday... unless I go TiVo sooner, which I'm sorely tempted to do at this point.
post #369 of 2558 Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the explanation - the curiosity was killing me!
post #370 of 2558 Old 02-25-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srohring View Post

Had a friendly tech out on a call at the house a couple days ago (signal issues after I moved my cable modem) and I asked him about the Samsung boxes. He told me they're still only available to certain TW techs on a trial basis still. Someday... unless I go TiVo sooner, which I'm sorely tempted to do at this point.

Big question that I would have is:

Will they work with an external drive?

Dave Hancock
post #371 of 2558 Old 02-27-2010, 11:07 PM

Short answer is "maybe" from what I've seen. They've got an eSATA port but I've seen mixed reports on whether it works on another thread here. Board won't let me post the link because I don't have enough posts but search for Samsung in the DVR forum here on AVS. Just as easy to swap a larger drive in IMHO.
post #372 of 2558 Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I have noticed that the last couple of weeks, our local CW affiliate (CW WHAM on TWC 1016) has not been passing through HD programming from the network. I doubt that anyone here watches any programming on CW, but I wonder if this issue is tied into WHAM 13's changes (i.e. the sidebars). If not then I would have to assume that it's not a temporary issue while they work out the bugs and that they are no longer going to push through HD programming from CW.

Actually my wife watches "Life Unexpected" and the last episode (last Monday I think) was full HD. I know that a lot of CWs daytime programming is SD and maybe some of their prime time programs.

Dave Hancock
post #373 of 2558 Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Thanks for replying Dave. I was referring to new episodes of "Smallville". I'm assuming someone was asleep at the switch the last couple of Fridays. The show won't be back until April now, so hopefully they will have fixed the "issue" by then.

No one asleep at the switch there - it's all automated. But that doesn't mean that someone screwed up on the data input!

Dave Hancock
post #374 of 2558 Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

I upgraded to digital cable last month and I heard their Primetime on Demand Channel is Free but I would like somebody on here to confirm it for me so I don't find any extra charges on my bill.

Thank You all for your help.
post #375 of 2558 Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

I upgraded to digital cable last month and I heard their Primetime on Demand Channel is Free but I would like somebody on here to confirm it for me so I don't find any extra charges on my bill.

Thank You all for your help.

Yes, it's free. In fact, there are many free on-Demand channels. Check twondemand. com for more.

Also, TW advertises Primetime on channel 735, but there is a mirror on 1014. Also, HD Showcase on Demand (1091 in Rochester) is free HD stuff, and features most of the Primetime stuff in HD (CBS and NBC shows, primarily).
post #376 of 2558 Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_Grenadier View Post

Yes, it's free. In fact, there are many free on-Demand channels. Check twondemand. com for more.

Also, TW advertises Primetime on channel 735, but there is a mirror on 1014. Also, HD Showcase on Demand (1091 in Rochester) is free HD stuff, and features most of the Primetime stuff in HD (CBS and NBC shows, primarily).

Thank you for the information. I asumed 1014 was Primetime on Demand in HD. Guess Not. I Went to twondemand.com and found more free on demand channels but they don't tell me the channel numbers. I think they are in the 700'S but i am not sure. Can you tell me where they are? The On Demand Channel Numbers are the same in Batavia and Rochester.
post #377 of 2558 Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post

So yet another Olympics where WHEC-13 fails to deliver 5.1 surround sound.

Thanks guys. Keep up the good work. *Fingers crossed that Fox or ESPN get the 2016 games and beyond, Rochesterians will still be no doubt waiting*

That's probably because the Olympics were on nbc, channel 10!
post #378 of 2558 Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the information. I asumed 1014 was Primetime on Demand in HD. Guess Not. I Went to twondemand.com and found more free on demand channels but they don't tell me the channel numbers. I think they are in the 700'S but i am not sure. Can you tell me where they are? The On Demand Channel Numbers are the same in Batavia and Rochester.

You'll get channel numbers if you click the thing on the top menu bar that lets you specify your location.

Primetime on Demand in HD is basically buried in that Showcase HD channel I mentioned.

The other thing to do is go here:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/north...tml?menu=36615

and print out your local lineup. The onDemand channels that are not marked premium (the star) or Pay Per View (triangle) should all be free. If you're on the Rochester lineup, that should include channels 702-719 and 723-736. There are a few others scattered elsewhere on the lineup too, including BBC America on Demand (325), Free Movies (810), Time Warner Sports (214), and News on Demand (104, 108). Printing out that page is the best thing you can do to find out what's out there if you just upgraded to digital. It helped me find what I needed, and I still refer to it on occasion. They update the PDF file whenever there is a channel change, too.
post #379 of 2558 Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

I just found a List of Free On Demand Channels in the Access Menu on my Cable Box. To Access it push the A Button on your Remote and select Free Now.

gregoryperkins WHEC is 10 not 13. If your not getting surround sound on the local channels the station may be using stereo sound. It's not TWC fault. NBC probably won't give up the olympics without a fight so don't get your hopes up.
post #380 of 2558 Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

As I understand it from talking to technical personel at one of the stations, WUHF has 5.1 because that is the way that FOX distributes the HD. WHAM & WHEC did not get 5.1 encoders because they were trying to get into HD at minimum cost. Further, WHAM has a complex infrastructure (automated switching done in Syracuse and all) that makes incorporation of 5.1 more difficult. WROC was the last to do HD, and had the opportunity to do things in a more straightforward manner (incorporating 5.1). The lack of 5.1 is one of the penalties of being early with HD.

Dave Hancock
post #381 of 2558 Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I just found a List of Free On Demand Channels in the Access Menu on my Cable Box. To Access it push the A Button on your Remote and select Free Now.

gregoryperkins WHEC is 10 not 13. If your not getting surround sound on the local channels the station may be using stereo sound. It's not TWC fault. NBC probably won't give up the olympics without a fight so don't get your hopes up.

He had 13 in his post... Didn't check the station...
post #382 of 2558 Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
TWC Rochester will be getting Navigator starting April 5th. Your recordings should be fine. They'll do this box type by box type, so 1 box can have SARA and another will have Navigator during this transition.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Media...ator_guide.pdf

Some documentation on it. Rochester is testing the Samsung SMT-H3260 HD-STB and SMT-H3270 HD-DVR. The 3270 has a 320 GB HDD which is twice the space as the current DVR boxes. Both run Navigator instead of SARA. This is your 1 month notice for Navigator. There might be a phone call telling you about this upgrade.
post #383 of 2558 Old 03-05-2010, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srohring View Post

Short answer is "maybe" from what I've seen. They've got an eSATA port but I've seen mixed reports on whether it works on another thread here. Board won't let me post the link because I don't have enough posts but search for Samsung in the DVR forum here on AVS. Just as easy to swap a larger drive in IMHO.

You cant swap the 3270's internal drive as it's limited to 320 GB. The Samsung firmware only supports up to 320 GB Seagate Pipeline HD HDD's.
post #384 of 2558 Old 03-05-2010, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The 3270 already comes with a 320 GB HDD. The Samsung and the HDC boxes running ODN have no eSATA support though some people claim it works with a few drives. The legacy boxes such as the 8300HD have awesome eSATA support.
post #385 of 2558 Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

TWC Rochester will be getting Navigator starting April 5th. Your recordings should be fine. They'll do this box type by box type, so 1 box can have SARA and another will have Navigator during this transition.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Media...ator_guide.pdf

Some documentation on it. Rochester is testing the Samsung SMT-H3260 HD-STB and SMT-H3270 HD-DVR. The 3270 has a 320 GB HDD which is twice the space as the current DVR boxes. Both run Navigator instead of SARA. This is your 1 month notice for Navigator. There might be a phone call telling you about this upgrade.

Could you provide a link to TW Rochester's specific plans. The link that you provided was generic (Northeast TW).

Dave Hancock
post #386 of 2558 Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

It appears that the April 5th date isn't accurate for Navigator. It might have been postponed to a later date.
post #387 of 2558 Old 03-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

I went to TWC Rochester Site and it says they allready have navigator here is the link to the information i found.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/north...r/default.html
post #388 of 2558 Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Looks like they either took that down, or the site is broken. The above link is bad, and searching on the site provides links to pages that don't currently work.
post #389 of 2558 Old 03-05-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

It appears that the April 5th date isn't accurate for Navigator. It might have been postponed to a later date.

Again, could you please post a specific link to this information?

Dave Hancock
post #390 of 2558 Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I went to TWC Rochester Site and it says they allready have navigator here is the link to the information i found.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/north...r/default.html

Again, that is a generic TW Northeast posting. It's not specific to Rochester.

That being said (and lacking any more concrete information from hdtvfan2005) I suspect that the story is that TW has installed Tru2Way on their servers so they can deploy the Samsung boxes (which use Navigator). That DOES NOT MEAN that TW will be doing a wholesale conversion from SARA to Navigator for the legacy SA/Cisco boxes.

Dave Hancock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page