Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 2508 Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So far, I have lost a couple of recordings, not sure why. I really miss the only new episodes feature. Maybe I need to cancel are re-record them?

I like the remember where you are in an episode for episodes that you pause.

I haven't gotten used to the overshoot feature of fast forward.

Is there a way to jump the guide to a day in the future? I haven't figured that out yet. Why it's 640x480 only is a mystery to me...

So if you haven't gotten it yet, you're not missing much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2508 Old 05-11-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

So far, I have lost a couple of recordings, not sure why. I really miss the only new episodes feature. Maybe I need to cancel are re-record them?

Might try that. It hasn't missed anything yet - but I was suspicious of quite a few "recordings" and did canceled and re-scheduled them. Also it does have the new episodes only option (Recode Series Options/Record: New Episodes or New & Repeat Episodes). I've also found that you should set "Air Time" from "All Showings" to the time you want (like "9 pm only").

Quote:

Is there a way to jump the guide to a day in the future?

Didn't realize that was a problem as my Harmony remote does have "Day+/Day-" functions. It wasn't till I read your comment that I realized that the standard (TWC supplied) remote does not have those buttons - looks like a MAJOR issue!

Dave Hancock
post #543 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a new episodes only feature. Also, "all showings" might be better as long as you did set "new episodes only," in case the times move around.

The Day Up/Down button on my remote still works on the guide for moving around days.

DVR space showed up somewhere on the interface for the DVR. It was towards the top of the screen and very understated. Just "48% free" in flat text.

My recording pre-sets were set to "all episodes" with a specific time slot and not "new episodes" with "any time" so people might want to check those.
post #544 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

The update occurred overnight on my SA8300HDC. It looks as though the update hasn't caused issues for my external hard drive. All of my recordings seem to be there, though I did not have time to play one. There were just a few glitches with my scheduled recordings, but those were easy to fix. To Dave Hancock or Larrude, Since you guys have had the update for a while with your DVRs, have you found a way to check on how much hard drive space there is left without having to access the diagnostic menu of the box?

It would be great Larry if your external drive works fully. Most reports that I have seen say that it doesn't (and that things work screwy).

(At least on MDN - the Navigator version the older boxes have) any of the LIST screens show the % Full just below the live video window.

Dave Hancock
post #545 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I got the new Navigator this morning on my 8240HDC & i love the new look & feel. Since my TWC Remote doesn't have Day buttons like my sisters TWC Remote i have to use the number keys to select how many days i want to jump then push the right arrow key. I also like the new timer options beceause i can finally have my favorite shows automatically extended by one minute so i can see the ending previews. If you go to the Display Menu you can Upconvert all channels to HD by setting the Aspect Resolution to 1080i. The First time you look at this screen you will see the settings from the HDTV Setup Wizard. Next you have to set the picture size to Strech so SD channels will be full screen. HD Channels do not use this setting. I was glad navigator kept all of my recorded shows and all but one timer that i put back in.

I almost forgot somebody asked where to find out how much hard drive space you had left on your DVR. Pust the list button & under the now playing it will be listed next to the clock.

Can Somebody tell me how to access the Diagnostic Menu with navigator, i tried holding Select on the box and the envelope was blinking so i pushed info like normal & the channel banner can up instead of the Diagnostic Menu.
post #546 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM

I have to look at my Hamony tonight and see if I have the day + and day - Dave was talking about. The other way is to hit the number pad with how many days forward or back and then push the forward or back button. It will move you to the correct date.

I actually have gotten to really like the overshoot feature - except when going in reverse and then I hit pause first.

Quote:

I like the remember where you are in an episode for episodes that you pause.

I haven't gotten used to the overshoot feature of fast forward.

Is there a way to jump the guide to a day in the future? I haven't figured that out yet. Why it's 640x480 only is a mystery to me...

So if you haven't gotten it yet, you're not missing much.

post #547 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 12:19 PM

Larry, when I'm in the "list" menu, in about the middle of the screen, one of the tabs shows the percentage of the drive used. Is there something else that you are asking about?

Quote:

The update occurred overnight on my SA8300HDC. It looks as though the update hasn't caused issues for my external hard drive. All of my recordings seem to be there, though I did not have time to play one. There were just a few glitches with my scheduled recordings, but those were easy to fix. To Dave Hancock or Larrude, Since you guys have had the update for a while with your DVRs, have you found a way to check on how much hard drive space there is left without having to access the diagnostic menu of the box?

post #548 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 02:41 PM

So I still have not been able to receive channels"
8-1
10-1
13-1
21-1
31-1
115-2
The people at Time Warner are telling me I have to upgrade to an HD Box and do know why I previously received any HD channels directly through the television. I swear, I am considering canceling Time Warner all together!
post #549 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedij585 View Post

So I still have not been able to receive channels"
8-1
10-1
13-1
21-1
31-1
115-2
The people at Time Warner are telling me I have to upgrade to an HD Box and do know why I previously received any HD channels directly through the television. I swear, I am considering canceling Time Warner all together!

Well yes, they are not going to officially support the QAM channels. This is why they want you to upgrade. At any rate, the QAM's are coming in fine here in Webster.
post #550 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Ok, now that I have been home and had a chance to look at the Passport update here is my experience:

My SA8300HDC with a 1 TB external eSATA Apricorn DVR Xpander had about 50 hours of HD programming stored on it when the upgrade occurred this morning.

The DVR listed all of the programs as being there. When I looked this evening, it was showing that 0% of the hard drive was being used even though it listed the shows. When I tried to watch a number of the stored shows, I essentially got a black screen and no show.

So, I rebooted the DVR to see if this would cure the problem. When the DVR started back up, it gave the error message that the hard drive was malfunctioning and consequently locked up.

I disconnected the eSATA drive and rebooted the DVR. When it came back online, it was functioning properly again.

So, what I reported this morning was partially in error. If you have an SA8300HDC, the new Passport update will preclude the use of an eSATA drive.

In the end, I am not surprised but somewhat disappointed. I am going to re-examine the possibility of switching to Directv. I need to get back on Dishpointer.com and take a look at dish positioning - I have to avoid a very large silver maple in the direct line of sight of the satellites needed for HD. Since I am an NFL fan, Directv would be the choice for me.

Good luck Larry. LOS issues can be a pain.

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

(See Links Above for Full Info)

post #551 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebob View Post

Well yes, they are not going to officially support the QAM channels. This is why they want you to upgrade. At any rate, the QAM's are coming in fine here in Webster.

They are required by the FCC to make these channels available - but the difficulty is in convincing the "front line" people of that. However, if you can observe another issue (such as a snowy picture on channel 9) you probably can get a service call and the techs are pretty good about realizing the problem (you can talk to them).

Dave Hancock
post #552 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 PM

Complaining of poor signal on one of the 'supplied' channels is my next step. At Time Warner they say that their engineers are working on the problem so I am interested to see what the next answer from the corporate office will be.
post #553 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Ok, now that I have been home and had a chance to look at the Passport update here is my experience:

My SA8300HDC with a 1 TB external eSATA Apricorn DVR Xpander had about 50 hours of HD programming stored on it when the upgrade occurred this morning.

The DVR listed all of the programs as being there. When I looked this evening, it was showing that 0% of the hard drive was being used even though it listed the shows. When I tried to watch a number of the stored shows, I essentially got a black screen and no show.

So, I rebooted the DVR to see if this would cure the problem. When the DVR started back up, it gave the error message that the hard drive was malfunctioning and consequently locked up.

I disconnected the eSATA drive and rebooted the DVR. When it came back online, it was functioning properly again.

So, what I reported this morning was partially in error. If you have an SA8300HDC, the new Passport update will preclude the use of an eSATA drive.

In the end, I am not surprised but somewhat disappointed. I am going to re-examine the possibility of switching to Directv. I need to get back on Dishpointer.com and take a look at dish positioning - I have to avoid a very large silver maple in the direct line of sight of the satellites needed for HD. Since I am an NFL fan, Directv would be the choice for me.

Larry, have you considered taking your SA8300HDC to one of the TWC stores and see if they have any 8300HD's in stock for an exchange? I've heard that they will exchange it for you with no problem if they have one in stock.

I was also curious if you have reconnected your external drive and tried to reinstall it to the box. Even though I have the 8300HD, I was concerned about the "upgrade" so I had watched and deleted all the shows and reconnected the Apricorn drive to my box after the update. It seemed to install better than it did when it was new.
post #554 of 2508 Old 05-12-2010, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry about that. As larrude suggested, you might try going to a TW office and try to get a "non-C" box that has been recycled. I have a customer in Buffalo with the same experience as you, and he was able to get a 8300HD from his local office.

BTW: We got "upgraded" to Navigator - not Passport. Passport was software that was used on systems with Motorola equipment at the head end and SA/Cisco equipment in the homes. Those TW systems were the first ones to get "Gatored".

Dave Hancock
post #555 of 2508 Old 05-13-2010, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Last Night all of the SDV Channels in Batavia had an error message saying the channel was not available & try againg later. Around 11:30PM all of the SDV Channels were back to normal. Did anybody else have the same problem last night.
post #556 of 2508 Old 05-13-2010, 07:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

Last Night all of the SDV Channels in Batavia had an error message saying the channel was not available & try againg later. Around 11:30PM all of the SDV Channels were back to normal. Did anybody else have the same problem last night.

last night all through out night all the HD channels were giving me the same error.

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #557 of 2508 Old 05-13-2010, 08:09 AM

Ditto here in Chili. HDTV channels were freezing or blacking out and then the message appeared. Went to bed after 11:15, so I don't know what happened after that.
post #558 of 2508 Old 05-13-2010, 02:34 PM

This was not an issue here with the channel the wife was watching all night, but it was an issue with other friends that I talked to today.
post #559 of 2508 Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:

2nd update:

When I got home tonight, I unplugged my DVR (SA8300HDC), hooked my eSATA drive back up and rebooted the DVR (plugged it back in). While it was booting up, I noticed that it received another update, as is evidenced by the alpha-numeric code that flashes across the LED display on the front of the box. When I started it back up, it recognized my eSATA drive. I lost all of the recorded shows that resided on the eSATA drive, but it now shows the proper amount of storage space left on the DVR.

I'll update more on this when I have more shows recorded.

Sorry that you lost your recorded shows; hopeful that it is working correctly now and you will be able to use your 1TB Apricon drive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
post #560 of 2508 Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

2nd update:

When I got home tonight, I unplugged my DVR (SA8300HDC), hooked my eSATA drive back up and rebooted the DVR (plugged it back in). While it was booting up, I noticed that it received another update, as is evidenced by the alpha-numeric code that flashes across the LED display on the front of the box. When I started it back up, it recognized my eSATA drive. I lost all of the recorded shows that resided on the eSATA drive, but it now shows the proper amount of storage space left on the DVR.

I'll update more on this when I have more shows recorded.

Sorry that you lost all of your recorded shows. Hope they were all watched allready. If you have any more problems with your eSATA Drive you can allways get a TiVo & recorded your shows on their. It even says on their website they support eSATA drives but they recommend using Western Digital.
post #561 of 2508 Old 05-15-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
DirectTV is now selling the whole house dvr. I'm just not sure that I'd be able to get a signal with the trees I have. It comes out to around $80 a month after the discounts expire, one dvr, one hd box and hd service.

Not much of a savings over TW. Any experience with the hd-lite, 1440x1080 res they use?

Greg
post #562 of 2508 Old 05-15-2010, 03:50 PM

TW is having issues today with messages to "please wait" as I surf the HD channels. A bit annoying.
post #563 of 2508 Old 05-15-2010, 08:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

TW is having issues today with messages to "please wait" as I surf the HD channels. A bit annoying.

experienced this as well here in greece.

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #564 of 2508 Old 05-16-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post

experienced this as well here in greece.

I am no technical expert, but seems to me that TW has to create more bandwidth somehow ? I read here or elsewhere that by 2012 the analog signal will go away ? But 2012 is still a couple years from now. I imagine that if they dump the analog channels that there will be a lot of pissed off people out there .
post #565 of 2508 Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:

DirectTV is now selling the whole house dvr. I'm just not sure that I'd be able to get a signal with the trees I have. It comes out to around $80 a month after the discounts expire, one dvr, one hd box and hd service.

Not much of a savings over TW. Any experience with the hd-lite, 1440x1080 res they use?

Greg

Hi Greg,

The Whole Home DVR Service just went live on May 13th after a number of months in beta. I've been testing it even before that using my home network for connectivity between my two HD-DVR's. Works great and allows me to have four available tuners that I can then watch, delete, etc., recorded shows wherever I want -- all in full HD (not SD). BTW, thier HD-DVR's and current software are all capable of thier Whole Home DVR Service. it's the connectivity -- and the $3/month fee -- that make it work.

The released and supported version uses the existing coax cables for DVR connectivity and includes some DECA hardware and a 'bridge' to connect this all into your existing home network -- if you have one -- for extra functions available via the Internet. DIERCTV calls this DECA. See more here. I am not currently planning to change to DECA and will continue to use the unsupported home network connectivity. If I didn't already have it working very well with my two hardwired HD-DVR's (wireless and power-line networking isn't sufficiently robust), I'd definitely move to the DECA version.

As for 'hd-lite', I really don't know if they even do that much -- if at all -- anymore. If they do, I really don't notice ANY issues on my 55" Samsung for the channels and shows I watch. In fact, some of their pay-per-view channels are HD/24fps. Anyway, I've tried to see any difference between the local OTA channels and DIRECTV's normal MPEG4 version (I have both available). I can't see any difference.

Lee

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

post #566 of 2508 Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I am no technical expert, but seems to me that TW has to create more bandwidth somehow ? I read here or elsewhere that by 2012 the analog signal will go away ? But 2012 is still a couple years from now. I imagine that if they dump the analog channels that there will be a lot of pissed off people out there .

Hey Bob,

Cable's answer to their lack bandwidth is SDV. Each provider has their own technical 'issues' and this is cable's biggest. Their 'pipe' and infrastructure is severely limiting their current capacity -- and further growth. SDV is their current answer -- and it gets around the issue most of the time but not always. There's only so much capacity and switching the available channels on and off based on specific demand in a particular area works only as long as (well, it works technically correctly and) lots of customers in your area don't decide to watch something different from everybody else. The system cannot keep up with that. If it could, SDV wouldn't be needed in the first place.

Analog elimination would certainly help. Even though TW can do this, it would force customers to use set-top boxes -- just like most other providers do. Not having to use them seems to be a big selling point for TW customers. Other provider's customers seem to have gotten past it, but I'm sure you're right -- there would be lots of pissed off [TW] people.

Lee

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

post #567 of 2508 Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am no technical expert, but seems to me that TW has to create more bandwidth somehow ?

I don't know what is going on here (though I suspect that there was some system software update that went bad - but I doubt that it is bandwidth alone that is the reason. I had a similar problem about 3 weeks ago. It went away in a couple of hours.
Quote:

I read here or elsewhere that by 2012 the analog signal will go away ? But 2012 is still a couple years from now. I imagine that if they dump the analog channels that there will be a lot of pissed off people out there .

I am sure that what you read is that cable is required to provide qualified local stations to legacy sets till at least 2012 (subject to extension). This was associated with shutting down analog broadcast TV. In Rochester (I'm not sure about Batavia) this means only 5 analog channels mandated by the FCC. The rest of the expanded basic analog channels (60 or so) are not required - but there would certainly be a lot of pissed off people if they suddenly did that (however, Comcast has done just that in several cities).

Dave Hancock
post #568 of 2508 Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 AM

Hi Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

I don't know what is going on here (though I suspect that there was some system software update that went bad - but I doubt that it is bandwidth alone that is the reason. I had a similar problem about 3 weeks ago. It went away in a couple of hours.

A very reasonable assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

I am sure that what you read is that cable is required to provide qualified local stations to legacy sets till at least 2012 (subject to extension). This was associated with shutting down analog broadcast TV. In Rochester (I'm not sure about Batavia) this means only 5 analog channels mandated by the FCC. The rest of the expanded basic analog channels (60 or so) are not required - but there would certainly be a lot of pissed off people if they suddenly did that (however, Comcast has done just that in several cities).

Correct me if I'm wrong but eliminating analog channels would 'only' require STB's for those with analog TVs. Although I understand that's a huge deal for some, I'm just confirming it.

Lee

(1) Yamaha RX-A2010

(2) Klipsch RF-83

(1) Klipsch RC-64

(1) Klipsch RSW-10d

(2) Klipsch RVX-54

(2) Klipsch RSX-5

post #569 of 2508 Old 05-16-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but eliminating analog channels would 'only' require STB's for those with analog TVs. Although I understand that's a huge deal for some, I'm just confirming it.

Lee

Lee, you are absolutely correct. That (providing no cost STBs) is one way to comply with the requirement. And, as I pointed out, Comcast is doing exactly that in certain cities. Our daughter, in St. Paul, MN, just went through that last fall - Comcrap provided them with 2 DTAs (Digital Terminal Adaptors) for those sets previously connected directly to cable. I might add that FiOS provides a very similar DTA (our other daughter in Maryland has FiOS - largely because Comcrap was so lousy).

Dave Hancock
post #570 of 2508 Old 05-16-2010, 09:01 AM

This is all very interesting guys. Thanks for the info. Dave, do you predict that Time Warner will provide these DTA's in this area ?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page