AVS Forum banner

Rochester, NY - HDTV

334K views 3K replies 205 participants last post by  tshaff09 
#1 ·
TW just released their HDDVRs. Their High Def line up locally is HBO, Showtime, PBS, WB, ABC, Discovery, inHD, inHD2.

I'd really love to see CBS and ESPN sometime soon.

#52 ·
Hello fellow TWC customers, the following is info gathered from emails to TWC Executive Fred Dressler. These are his quotes.

Future HD channel update

ESPN2-HD - hopeful to have espn2hd in time for baseball.

STARZ-HD - End of the year at the earliest

CINEMAX-HD - is almost done

TMC-HD - is done

Wealth TV-HD - are not in the works

Outdoor Channel 2-HD - are not in the works

MHD (MTV) - will take many months to conclude.

National Geographic-HD - No Word

Food Network-HD - Scripps has not yet made us a proposal.

HGTV-HD - Scripps has not yet made us a proposal.

#54 ·
cprovo,

Please add your location Greece, Fairport, etc.) to your profile, as it helps to allow us to answer your question that is relevant to your location. This is particularly true when talking about over the air reception.

RE: TW basic cable. You should also be able to receive a limited number of HD channels if your set has a built in QAM tuner - in all likelihood it does. TW does not really publicize this, cause they would rather sell you their digital service, etc. However, TW does not currently have WROC-HD (CBS) and WUHF-HD (Fox) because the owners of these stations are attempting to extort payments from TW.

Here is a link to a posting I made on that specific subject:
http://www.rochesterhdtv.com/viewtop...ighlight=#9436

RE: OTA - what antennas work are highly dependent on where you are. The site above has lots of specific info on OTA around Rochester.

Depending on the TV you have, you might be able to set it up for both cable and an antenna. TW has a few HD channels on their basic service that are not otherwise available (INHD1, INHD2, TNT HD, Discovery HD and WB-HD, there are reports of a bad picture on QAM on this one)

#55 ·
I just updated my profile and added my location. I live in Webster.

I do not believe that my TV has a built in QAM tuner. The TV I have is the Syntax Olevia lt42hvi. I'm not all that familiar with the QAM tuner but I just read the specs and it is not listed. What does this mean - am I able to purchase an external QAM tuner to receive the HD OTA channels through cable? I guess the other option is to plug the antenna into the DTV slot and receive them this way.

#56 ·
Well, you could purchase an external tuner that has a QAM tuner - but most any that you buy will also have an ATSC tuner - so you are paying for both. I know that the LG-LST 3510a has both (and is an upconverting DVD player as well). You can find refurbushed ones on the internet for around $200. This unit can only be set-up for OTA HD OR cable QAM, not both. Further, it does not have a CableCARD slot, so if you want to get some premium cable channels in the future, you are out of luck. So that one is probably not a good choice.

But remember, WUHF HD and WROC HD are not on TW. So you may well want to get an antenna. While some indoor antennas may work in Webster, you are probably better off with an outdoor antenna. Check out the RochesterHDTV site.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV /forum/post/0

Hello fellow TWC customers, the following is info gathered from emails to TWC Executive Fred Dressler. These are his quotes.

Future HD channel update

ESPN2-HD - hopeful to have espn2hd in time for baseball.

STARZ-HD - End of the year at the earliest

CINEMAX-HD - is almost done

TMC-HD - is done

Wealth TV-HD - are not in the works

Outdoor Channel 2-HD - are not in the works

MHD (MTV) - will take many months to conclude.

National Geographic-HD - No Word

Food Network-HD - Scripps has not yet made us a proposal.

HGTV-HD - Scripps has not yet made us a proposal.

That is great news! Hopefully the TWC Rochester system has the bandwidth to support potentially three new HD channels in the short future. Between just adding Universal HD and the digital simulcast and the fact they have to carry locals from three markets I hope they can stay consistent on picture quality. HD picture quality is superb, SD digital picture quality is better then DirecTV IMO.

For SD, are you guys in Rochester experiencing the full digital simulcast or is it supposed to be a few channels at a time? In Erie (aka Area 6) the following analog channels are being simulcast in digital. Lifetime Movie Network, Outdoor Life Network, YES, Oxygen, FX, Hallmark Channel and ESPN was on test channel 1174 for a while.

BTW - I live in a small little town that most of you have never heard of that's located 60some miles west of Rochester. I live in the Buffalo market, 12 miles away from the city line, but live right on the Adelphia/TWC cable border and am lucky enough to get my cable service from Time Warner Rochester. We get most of the same content as those that actually live in Rochester except for locals and we're lacking a few channels, no PBS Kids, no WGN, no NBC 10 Weather Now and no CSPAN 2 on 117. Digital Phone isn't offered here yet either.

#59 ·
#60 ·
I live in Webster and plan to purchase an HDTV in the late summer/early fall. I'm one of the few holdouts that doesn't have cable TV. I was wondering if anyone in this area, particularly Webster, had any experience picking HD signals OTA. If so, what antenna are you using?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin /forum/post/0

I live in Webster and plan to purchase an HDTV in the late summer/early fall. I'm one of the few holdouts that doesn't have cable TV. I was wondering if anyone in this area, particularly Webster, had any experience picking HD signals OTA. If so, what antenna are you using?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, I live in West Irondequoit, so no direct correlation. Btw. I also don't have cable TV. I use a Zenith Silver Sensor with my Sony KD-34XBR960N. I don't need a tuner since one is built into the TV. Pointing my antenna directly South from my location in the attic, I receive with strong signals:

8.1 CBS Digital/HD

10.1 NBC Digital/HD

10.2 NBC Digital (weather)

13.1 ABC Digital/HD

21.1 PBS Digital/HD

21.2 PBS Digital

21.3 PBS Digital

21.4 PBS Digital

31.1 FOX Digital/HD

31.2 FOX Music Channel

As of late the FOX channels having been giving me problems with reception, I wonder if its the national feed. I plan to put in an amplifier into my attic in a few weeks.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Co /forum/post/0

....and since they're SDV, it amounts to a net loss for CableCard users (who've already been getting shut out from Universal HD for a while now).

Yes, and it is really upsetting that TW keeps doing this to us. You also didn't mention the other channel they added 438 Logo which is also SDV that we are shut out of.

#66 ·
I live in Hilton.

I've been using a Phillips Mant510 50db amplified indoor "rabbit ears" antenna. I'm getting a solid mid 80's signal for CBS 8.1 which is the toughest one for me to pull in. I'm mid 90's to 100 on everything else. On clear days I can get a little of Buffalo's 2.1 and 4.1 but it drops in and out. I keep the antenna in the upstairs bedroom on a high shelf against the southern wall (facing the wall) and run the cable down to the TV in the family room. The key is to get the antenna as high up as possible and remove as many obstacles as possible.

I purchased a nice Winegard HD-9065P outdoor antenna a week ago for $42 assuming it'd pull in more channels without requiring amplification but was dissapointed with the results. I couldn't pull in anything stable and no channel made it above 50%. I'm sure if I added an amplifer it would work, but why bother if the indoor amplified Phillips works so well?

If anyone lives within 10 miles of the towers and wants an excellent ghost cancelling Winegard let me know and I'll sell it for half price
I'm also thinking about trying the amplified Silver Senser just as an experiment just because of the rave reviews it's getting. If it's no better than the Phillips MANT510 Circuit City will happily take it back within 30 days anyway

Anyway - the picture looks very nice on my Sony KDS-50A2000 (50") Both from the TVs internal ATSC tuner as well as through the ATSC tuners on my DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR+.

.........A side note on the DirecTV HR20. It started out bumpy with this thing - a lot of screwed up recordings and freeze ups, but after a few software downloads and resets it's finally working close to flawlessly. It's hard to get used to the interface after years of using their uber-easy Tivo based SD-DVR's but I'm getting used to it. The recording quality is fantastic on both OTA and Sat channels. Now let's just hope DTV hurries the hell up and gets those new satellites on line so their HD offereings won't pale in comparison to Cable and Dish as they do at the moment.....

Joe

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorossian /forum/post/0

I live in Hilton.

I've been using a Phillips Mant510 50db amplified indoor "rabbit ears" antenna. I'm getting a solid mid 80's signal for CBS 8.1 which is the toughest one for me to pull in. I'm mid 90's to 100 on everything else. On clear days I can get a little of Buffalo's 2.1 and 4.1 but it drops in and out. I keep the antenna in the upstairs bedroom on a high shelf against the southern wall (facing the wall) and run the cable down to the TV in the family room. The key is to get the antenna as high up as possible and remove as many obstacles as possible.

I purchased a nice Winegard HD-9065P outdoor antenna a week ago for $42 assuming it'd pull in more channels without requiring amplification but was dissapointed with the results. I couldn't pull in anything stable and no channel made it above 50%. I'm sure if I added an amplifer it would work, but why bother if the indoor amplified Phillips works so well?

If anyone lives within 10 miles of the towers and wants an excellent ghost cancelling Winegard let me know and I'll sell it for half price
I'm also thinking about trying the amplified Silver Senser just as an experiment just because of the rave reviews it's getting. If it's no better than the Phillips MANT510 Circuit City will happily take it back within 30 days anyway

Anyway - the picture looks very nice on my Sony KDS-50A2000 (50") Both from the TVs internal ATSC tuner as well as through the ATSC tuners on my DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR+.

.........A side note on the DirecTV HR20. It started out bumpy with this thing - a lot of screwed up recordings and freeze ups, but after a few software downloads and resets it's finally working close to flawlessly. It's hard to get used to the interface after years of using their uber-easy Tivo based SD-DVR's but I'm getting used to it. The recording quality is fantastic on both OTA and Sat channels. Now let's just hope DTV hurries the hell up and gets those new satellites on line so their HD offereings won't pale in comparison to Cable and Dish as they do at the moment.....

Joe

Very, very interesting. I'm also in Hilton (near the High School) and a DTV user as well. Two areas of your message are of direct interest to me:
  • OTA
  • HR-20

OTA

I am using an unamplified Channel Master 4221 for OTA reception mounted inside my garage -- under the roof. I am able to receive strong (80%-93%), steady HD signals for 8.1, 10.1/2, 21.1-4 and 31.1/2. However, the signal strength for 13.1 rapidly fluctuates badly (75%-0%) making it unviewable at least half of the time. This is odd because (as you know) all of the transmitters are in the same location. It appears that I have an issue with multipath -- for just 13.1. Very odd. It appears that I will need to move the antenna to the roof -- something I was hoping to avoid. Anyway, are you experiencing anything like my multipath issue -- on any of the local channels?

HR-20

I have two Stand-Alone Series2 (Standard Definition) Tivos. I have been reading all the information I can on HD DVR's so I can eventually (ASAP actually) move to HD recording. Problem is, I really like the Tivo interface and the fact that they've been absolutely rock solid -- ALL the time. I'd love to have a Tivo Series 3 -- but as you know they won't work with DTV. From what I've read, the HR-20 has the best chance of filling my desire to move to an HD DVR. Since you're a DTV customer, live in Hilton and now are using the HR-20, I'd be interested in any insights about the Hr-20 vs the Tivos you used to have (and I still have).

Thanks in advance.

Lee

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack /forum/post/0

Very, very interesting. I'm also in Hilton (near the High School) and a DTV user as well. Two areas of your message are of direct interest to me:
  • OTA
  • HR-20

OTA

I am using an unamplified Channel Master 4221 for OTA reception mounted inside my garage -- under the roof. I am able to receive strong (80%-93%), steady HD signals for 8.1, 10.1/2, 21.1-4 and 31.1/2. However, the signal strength for 13.1 rapidly fluctuates badly (75%-0%) making it unviewable at least half of the time. This is odd because (as you know) all of the transmitters are in the same location. It appears that I have an issue with multipath -- for just 13.1. Very odd. It appears that I will need to move the antenna to the roof -- something I was hoping to avoid. Anyway, are you experiencing anything like my multipath issue -- on any of the local channels?

HR-20

I have two Stand-Alone Series2 (Standard Definition) Tivos. I have been reading all the information I can on HD DVR's so I can eventually (ASAP actually) move to HD recording. Problem is, I really like the Tivo interface and the fact that they've been absolutely rock solid -- ALL the time. I'd love to have a Tivo Series 3 -- but as you know they won't work with DTV. From what I've read, the HR-20 has the best chance of filling my desire to move to an HD DVR. Since you're a DTV customer, live in Hilton and now are using the HR-20, I'd be interested in any insights about the Hr-20 vs the Tivos you used to have (and I still have).

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Hi neighbor!

As for the OTA stuff...

I've found that channels 13.1/2 and 8.1 were the hardest to "balance" for signal strength and this is always (in terms of indoor antenna reception) far more dependant on location of the antenna in relation to walls/roof rather than just aiming. I'd suggest trying a different location in your garage (preferably as far away from asphalt shingling as possible) and see if it changes your results in any way. I'm not an antenna expert by any means, this is just my experience. In the same upstairs bedroom, my MANT510 indoor worked horribly in areas where the roofline was closer compared to the area where the roof peak was highest and the antena was closest to the wall facing East. I'm absolutley inerested in trying a channelmaster 4221 now though!

As for the HR20....

I absolutely miss my old Hughes DTV Series2 DVR (with a 120gb hard drive replacing the original 40gb one) The new interface is far less dependable, user-friendly and just plain "comfortable". There are some serious issues that seem to be slowly getting resolved however losing a bowl game recording tends to make you a bit perturbed... I've found that after the latest software download everything seems to be OK as long as you avoid any "active/interactive" conent and disable the caller ID messaging. Rebooting every few days seems to be the norm to clear up small annoyances. The HR20 is FAR from being anywhere near as robust as the old Tivo based DTV DVR's were. It's a tradeoff. If you really want your HD and are "techy" enough to deal with some quirks then go for it. If you're still happy enough with standard def for most programs then you may not want to deal with the hassls of the new - and clearly flawed - HR20 reciever. With al the reboots I'm thinking there may be a problem with the amount of front end memory built into these units. They might just need more RAM as they tend to chock when confronted with too much "active" content or screwing around in the setup menus.

#69 ·
jorossian,

If your OTA is "hit or miss" now, the situation will become worse once leaves get back on the trees. So you might want to put antenna improvements on your schedule before spring.

#70 ·

Quote:

Hi neighbor!

Hi! Good to know about someone in the area that can I can share knowledge and issues with!

Quote:

As for the OTA stuff...

I've found that channels 13.1/2 and 8.1 were the hardest to "balance" for signal strength and this is always (in terms of indoor antenna reception) far more dependant on location of the antenna in relation to walls/roof rather than just aiming. I'd suggest trying a different location in your garage (preferably as far away from asphalt shingling as possible) and see if it changes your results in any way. I'm not an antenna expert by any means, this is just my experience. In the same upstairs bedroom, my MANT510 indoor worked horribly in areas where the roofline was closer compared to the area where the roof peak was highest and the antena was closest to the wall facing East. I'm absolutley inerested in trying a channelmaster 4221 now though!

You've given me hope to try the antenna in other locations in the garage. Maybe I'll try that today! I'll let you know.

If you decide to get a 4221 or something else, I got mine from Warren Electronic Distributing . They seem pretty good and the CM 4221 is under $25. BTW, I have no affiliation with them. Just a happy customer.

Quote:
As for the HR20....

I absolutely miss my old Hughes DTV Series2 DVR (with a 120gb hard drive replacing the original 40gb one) The new interface is far less dependable, user-friendly and just plain "comfortable". There are some serious issues that seem to be slowly getting resolved however losing a bowl game recording tends to make you a bit perturbed... I've found that after the latest software download everything seems to be OK as long as you avoid any "active/interactive" conent and disable the caller ID messaging. Rebooting every few days seems to be the norm to clear up small annoyances. The HR20 is FAR from being anywhere near as robust as the old Tivo based DTV DVR's were. It's a tradeoff. If you really want your HD and are "techy" enough to deal with some quirks then go for it. If you're still happy enough with standard def for most programs then you may not want to deal with the hassls of the new - and clearly flawed - HR20 reciever. With al the reboots I'm thinking there may be a problem with the amount of front end memory built into these units. They might just need more RAM as they tend to chock when confronted with too much "active" content or screwing around in the setup menus.

I'm a Systems Manager and a bit techie
but the issue is that if the DVR simply screws up recording stuff, being a geek may not help a lot. I'm sure I can make it better, but perhaps not solve it to the point that it's a friendly or reliable as the current Tivos are. I'm also hesitant to give up the Home Media option, etc that the Tivos have. Plus, I'm not the only user -- if you know what I mean. I just really want to get into an HD DVR. Oh well, I'll keep reading and learning. Your information at least sounds like we're getting closer.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock /forum/post/0

jorossian,

If your OTA is "hit or miss" now, the situation will become worse once leaves get back on the trees. So you might want to put antenna improvements on your schedule before spring.

I know you're right about leaves potentially causing issues. In my current set up, my issues with channel 13.1 actually got worse! In any case, you're correct that the leaves on trees will affect your signal -- one way or the other.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack /forum/post/0

HR-20

Thanks in advance.

Lee

You should have picked up a HR10-250. I have been recording HD for around 2 years now and loving it, FOX and all.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocto4 /forum/post/0

You should have picked up a HR10-250. I have been recording HD for around 2 years now and loving it, FOX and all.

I've had the two Series2 SA Tivos for over 5 years. So, I've had them well before I moved to DTV -- let alone HD. Anyway, I still have the HD DVR choice in front of me.

I've seriously considered the HR10-250. If the timing of my Tivo purchases, my conversion to DTV and subsequent upgrade to HD were all different, I'd probably have one or two of them already. The first issue now is getting one. I know they're still available (for instance at Weaknees and on eBay) but they have the second and future issue of DTV's future change to MPG4. How much in the future is a question, but if the HR-20 is either already or soon to be stable and friendly, that's perhaps a better future choice. I may still end up with an HR10-250, but learning about the current state of the HR-20's is why I'm asking about them.

#75 ·

Quote:

I'd love to go with the same Tivo format, but the problem is the HR10-250 will be obsolete in a few months as it's not capable of providing the MPEG-4 content that will soon be the bulk of DTV's HD programming.

Anyway - What happened to The Tube on channel 31.2? looks like it's kaput.

iflorack -

thanks for the tip in the channelmaster 4221. I'm now wrestling with the idea of picking up the 4228. I guess I'd rather err on the side of overkill and get it over with. Who knows - Maybe I'll be able to get blacked out Bills games out of Syracuse if I mount it outside and amplify it? For 50 bucks it's a modest investment to try.

#76 ·

Quote:

The HR20 seems unstable for most, great for some. Friend of mine has one and is close to getting rid of it due to lockups and other issues. If you haven't already, check out the below forum to get a feel for how it's working.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Thanks. I have been reading DBSTalk for information about the HR-20. Although it appears to still have issues, the latest reports about newer software upgrades have been getting better reviews. I'll probably wait a while longer as I've been spoiled by the Tivo's I have so I'm worried about that. Plus, I've had very bad experiences with TWC's DVRs and would rather not endure anything like that again. I'll keep looking for a while.