2Likes

post #61 of 2505 Old 08-20-2006, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post

I live in Webster and plan to purchase an HDTV in the late summer/early fall. I'm one of the few holdouts that doesn't have cable TV. I was wondering if anyone in this area, particularly Webster, had any experience picking HD signals OTA. If so, what antenna are you using?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim, I live in West Irondequoit, so no direct correlation. Btw. I also don't have cable TV. I use a Zenith Silver Sensor with my Sony KD-34XBR960N. I don't need a tuner since one is built into the TV. Pointing my antenna directly South from my location in the attic, I receive with strong signals:

8.1 CBS Digital/HD
10.1 NBC Digital/HD
10.2 NBC Digital (weather)
13.1 ABC Digital/HD
21.1 PBS Digital/HD
21.2 PBS Digital
21.3 PBS Digital
21.4 PBS Digital
31.1 FOX Digital/HD
31.2 FOX Music Channel

As of late the FOX channels having been giving me problems with reception, I wonder if its the national feed. I plan to put in an amplifier into my attic in a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2505 Old 11-17-2006, 12:37 PM

You can add 13.2 CW-WHAM to your list. Not HD though but 1016 on TWC cable is soon. They are going through a changeover of equipment so SD for now on 1016.
post #63 of 2505 Old 12-29-2006, 06:56 PM

Rochester TWC has added 2 new HD channels:

1015 MTVHD
1037 A&EHD

They came on the same time iNHD 2 went off.
post #64 of 2505 Old 12-30-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcminute View Post

Rochester TWC has added 2 new HD channels:

1015 MTVHD
1037 A&EHD

They came on the same time iNHD 2 went off.

....and since they're SDV, it amounts to a net loss for CableCard users (who've already been getting shut out from Universal HD for a while now).
post #65 of 2505 Old 12-30-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Co View Post

....and since they're SDV, it amounts to a net loss for CableCard users (who've already been getting shut out from Universal HD for a while now).

Yes, and it is really upsetting that TW keeps doing this to us. You also didn't mention the other channel they added 438 Logo which is also SDV that we are shut out of.
post #66 of 2505 Old 01-06-2007, 05:02 AM

I live in Hilton.

I've been using a Phillips Mant510 50db amplified indoor "rabbit ears" antenna. I'm getting a solid mid 80's signal for CBS 8.1 which is the toughest one for me to pull in. I'm mid 90's to 100 on everything else. On clear days I can get a little of Buffalo's 2.1 and 4.1 but it drops in and out. I keep the antenna in the upstairs bedroom on a high shelf against the southern wall (facing the wall) and run the cable down to the TV in the family room. The key is to get the antenna as high up as possible and remove as many obstacles as possible.

I purchased a nice Winegard HD-9065P outdoor antenna a week ago for $42 assuming it'd pull in more channels without requiring amplification but was dissapointed with the results. I couldn't pull in anything stable and no channel made it above 50%. I'm sure if I added an amplifer it would work, but why bother if the indoor amplified Phillips works so well?

If anyone lives within 10 miles of the towers and wants an excellent ghost cancelling Winegard let me know and I'll sell it for half price I'm also thinking about trying the amplified Silver Senser just as an experiment just because of the rave reviews it's getting. If it's no better than the Phillips MANT510 Circuit City will happily take it back within 30 days anyway

Anyway - the picture looks very nice on my Sony KDS-50A2000 (50") Both from the TVs internal ATSC tuner as well as through the ATSC tuners on my DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR+.

.........A side note on the DirecTV HR20. It started out bumpy with this thing - a lot of screwed up recordings and freeze ups, but after a few software downloads and resets it's finally working close to flawlessly. It's hard to get used to the interface after years of using their uber-easy Tivo based SD-DVR's but I'm getting used to it. The recording quality is fantastic on both OTA and Sat channels. Now let's just hope DTV hurries the hell up and gets those new satellites on line so their HD offereings won't pale in comparison to Cable and Dish as they do at the moment.....

Joe
post #67 of 2505 Old 01-06-2007, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorossian View Post

I live in Hilton.

I've been using a Phillips Mant510 50db amplified indoor "rabbit ears" antenna. I'm getting a solid mid 80's signal for CBS 8.1 which is the toughest one for me to pull in. I'm mid 90's to 100 on everything else. On clear days I can get a little of Buffalo's 2.1 and 4.1 but it drops in and out. I keep the antenna in the upstairs bedroom on a high shelf against the southern wall (facing the wall) and run the cable down to the TV in the family room. The key is to get the antenna as high up as possible and remove as many obstacles as possible.

I purchased a nice Winegard HD-9065P outdoor antenna a week ago for $42 assuming it'd pull in more channels without requiring amplification but was dissapointed with the results. I couldn't pull in anything stable and no channel made it above 50%. I'm sure if I added an amplifer it would work, but why bother if the indoor amplified Phillips works so well?

If anyone lives within 10 miles of the towers and wants an excellent ghost cancelling Winegard let me know and I'll sell it for half price I'm also thinking about trying the amplified Silver Senser just as an experiment just because of the rave reviews it's getting. If it's no better than the Phillips MANT510 Circuit City will happily take it back within 30 days anyway

Anyway - the picture looks very nice on my Sony KDS-50A2000 (50") Both from the TVs internal ATSC tuner as well as through the ATSC tuners on my DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR+.

.........A side note on the DirecTV HR20. It started out bumpy with this thing - a lot of screwed up recordings and freeze ups, but after a few software downloads and resets it's finally working close to flawlessly. It's hard to get used to the interface after years of using their uber-easy Tivo based SD-DVR's but I'm getting used to it. The recording quality is fantastic on both OTA and Sat channels. Now let's just hope DTV hurries the hell up and gets those new satellites on line so their HD offereings won't pale in comparison to Cable and Dish as they do at the moment.....

Joe

Very, very interesting. I'm also in Hilton (near the High School) and a DTV user as well. Two areas of your message are of direct interest to me:
  • OTA
  • HR-20

OTA
I am using an unamplified Channel Master 4221 for OTA reception mounted inside my garage -- under the roof. I am able to receive strong (80%-93%), steady HD signals for 8.1, 10.1/2, 21.1-4 and 31.1/2. However, the signal strength for 13.1 rapidly fluctuates badly (75%-0%) making it unviewable at least half of the time. This is odd because (as you know) all of the transmitters are in the same location. It appears that I have an issue with multipath -- for just 13.1. Very odd. It appears that I will need to move the antenna to the roof -- something I was hoping to avoid. Anyway, are you experiencing anything like my multipath issue -- on any of the local channels?

HR-20
I have two Stand-Alone Series2 (Standard Definition) Tivos. I have been reading all the information I can on HD DVR's so I can eventually (ASAP actually) move to HD recording. Problem is, I really like the Tivo interface and the fact that they've been absolutely rock solid -- ALL the time. I'd love to have a Tivo Series 3 -- but as you know they won't work with DTV. From what I've read, the HR-20 has the best chance of filling my desire to move to an HD DVR. Since you're a DTV customer, live in Hilton and now are using the HR-20, I'd be interested in any insights about the Hr-20 vs the Tivos you used to have (and I still have).

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.
post #68 of 2505 Old 01-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

Very, very interesting. I'm also in Hilton (near the High School) and a DTV user as well. Two areas of your message are of direct interest to me:
  • OTA
  • HR-20

OTA
I am using an unamplified Channel Master 4221 for OTA reception mounted inside my garage -- under the roof. I am able to receive strong (80%-93%), steady HD signals for 8.1, 10.1/2, 21.1-4 and 31.1/2. However, the signal strength for 13.1 rapidly fluctuates badly (75%-0%) making it unviewable at least half of the time. This is odd because (as you know) all of the transmitters are in the same location. It appears that I have an issue with multipath -- for just 13.1. Very odd. It appears that I will need to move the antenna to the roof -- something I was hoping to avoid. Anyway, are you experiencing anything like my multipath issue -- on any of the local channels?

HR-20
I have two Stand-Alone Series2 (Standard Definition) Tivos. I have been reading all the information I can on HD DVR's so I can eventually (ASAP actually) move to HD recording. Problem is, I really like the Tivo interface and the fact that they've been absolutely rock solid -- ALL the time. I'd love to have a Tivo Series 3 -- but as you know they won't work with DTV. From what I've read, the HR-20 has the best chance of filling my desire to move to an HD DVR. Since you're a DTV customer, live in Hilton and now are using the HR-20, I'd be interested in any insights about the Hr-20 vs the Tivos you used to have (and I still have).

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Hi neighbor!

As for the OTA stuff...

I've found that channels 13.1/2 and 8.1 were the hardest to "balance" for signal strength and this is always (in terms of indoor antenna reception) far more dependant on location of the antenna in relation to walls/roof rather than just aiming. I'd suggest trying a different location in your garage (preferably as far away from asphalt shingling as possible) and see if it changes your results in any way. I'm not an antenna expert by any means, this is just my experience. In the same upstairs bedroom, my MANT510 indoor worked horribly in areas where the roofline was closer compared to the area where the roof peak was highest and the antena was closest to the wall facing East. I'm absolutley inerested in trying a channelmaster 4221 now though!

As for the HR20....

I absolutely miss my old Hughes DTV Series2 DVR (with a 120gb hard drive replacing the original 40gb one) The new interface is far less dependable, user-friendly and just plain "comfortable". There are some serious issues that seem to be slowly getting resolved however losing a bowl game recording tends to make you a bit perturbed... I've found that after the latest software download everything seems to be OK as long as you avoid any "active/interactive" conent and disable the caller ID messaging. Rebooting every few days seems to be the norm to clear up small annoyances. The HR20 is FAR from being anywhere near as robust as the old Tivo based DTV DVR's were. It's a tradeoff. If you really want your HD and are "techy" enough to deal with some quirks then go for it. If you're still happy enough with standard def for most programs then you may not want to deal with the hassls of the new - and clearly flawed - HR20 reciever. With al the reboots I'm thinking there may be a problem with the amount of front end memory built into these units. They might just need more RAM as they tend to chock when confronted with too much "active" content or screwing around in the setup menus.
post #69 of 2505 Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
jorossian,

If your OTA is "hit or miss" now, the situation will become worse once leaves get back on the trees. So you might want to put antenna improvements on your schedule before spring.

Dave Hancock
post #70 of 2505 Old 01-06-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Hi neighbor!

Hi! Good to know about someone in the area that can I can share knowledge and issues with!

Quote:

As for the OTA stuff...

I've found that channels 13.1/2 and 8.1 were the hardest to "balance" for signal strength and this is always (in terms of indoor antenna reception) far more dependant on location of the antenna in relation to walls/roof rather than just aiming. I'd suggest trying a different location in your garage (preferably as far away from asphalt shingling as possible) and see if it changes your results in any way. I'm not an antenna expert by any means, this is just my experience. In the same upstairs bedroom, my MANT510 indoor worked horribly in areas where the roofline was closer compared to the area where the roof peak was highest and the antena was closest to the wall facing East. I'm absolutley inerested in trying a channelmaster 4221 now though!

You've given me hope to try the antenna in other locations in the garage. Maybe I'll try that today! I'll let you know.

If you decide to get a 4221 or something else, I got mine from Warren Electronic Distributing. They seem pretty good and the CM 4221 is under $25. BTW, I have no affiliation with them. Just a happy customer.

Quote:

As for the HR20....

I absolutely miss my old Hughes DTV Series2 DVR (with a 120gb hard drive replacing the original 40gb one) The new interface is far less dependable, user-friendly and just plain "comfortable". There are some serious issues that seem to be slowly getting resolved however losing a bowl game recording tends to make you a bit perturbed... I've found that after the latest software download everything seems to be OK as long as you avoid any "active/interactive" conent and disable the caller ID messaging. Rebooting every few days seems to be the norm to clear up small annoyances. The HR20 is FAR from being anywhere near as robust as the old Tivo based DTV DVR's were. It's a tradeoff. If you really want your HD and are "techy" enough to deal with some quirks then go for it. If you're still happy enough with standard def for most programs then you may not want to deal with the hassls of the new - and clearly flawed - HR20 reciever. With al the reboots I'm thinking there may be a problem with the amount of front end memory built into these units. They might just need more RAM as they tend to chock when confronted with too much "active" content or screwing around in the setup menus.

I'm a Systems Manager and a bit techie but the issue is that if the DVR simply screws up recording stuff, being a geek may not help a lot. I'm sure I can make it better, but perhaps not solve it to the point that it's a friendly or reliable as the current Tivos are. I'm also hesitant to give up the Home Media option, etc that the Tivos have. Plus, I'm not the only user -- if you know what I mean. I just really want to get into an HD DVR. Oh well, I'll keep reading and learning. Your information at least sounds like we're getting closer.

post #71 of 2505 Old 01-06-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

jorossian,

If your OTA is "hit or miss" now, the situation will become worse once leaves get back on the trees. So you might want to put antenna improvements on your schedule before spring.

I know you're right about leaves potentially causing issues. In my current set up, my issues with channel 13.1 actually got worse! In any case, you're correct that the leaves on trees will affect your signal -- one way or the other.

post #72 of 2505 Old 01-07-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

HR-20

Thanks in advance.

Lee

You should have picked up a HR10-250. I have been recording HD for around 2 years now and loving it, FOX and all.
post #73 of 2505 Old 01-07-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocto4 View Post

You should have picked up a HR10-250. I have been recording HD for around 2 years now and loving it, FOX and all.

I've had the two Series2 SA Tivos for over 5 years. So, I've had them well before I moved to DTV -- let alone HD. Anyway, I still have the HD DVR choice in front of me.

I've seriously considered the HR10-250. If the timing of my Tivo purchases, my conversion to DTV and subsequent upgrade to HD were all different, I'd probably have one or two of them already. The first issue now is getting one. I know they're still available (for instance at Weaknees and on eBay) but they have the second and future issue of DTV's future change to MPG4. How much in the future is a question, but if the HR-20 is either already or soon to be stable and friendly, that's perhaps a better future choice. I may still end up with an HR10-250, but learning about the current state of the HR-20's is why I'm asking about them.

post #74 of 2505 Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 AM

The HR20 seems unstable for most, great for some. Friend of mine has one and is close to getting rid of it due to lockups and other issues. If you haven't already, check out the below forum to get a feel for how it's working.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112
post #75 of 2505 Old 01-07-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:

I'd love to go with the same Tivo format, but the problem is the HR10-250 will be obsolete in a few months as it's not capable of providing the MPEG-4 content that will soon be the bulk of DTV's HD programming.

Anyway - What happened to The Tube on channel 31.2? looks like it's kaput.

iflorack -

thanks for the tip in the channelmaster 4221. I'm now wrestling with the idea of picking up the 4228. I guess I'd rather err on the side of overkill and get it over with. Who knows - Maybe I'll be able to get blacked out Bills games out of Syracuse if I mount it outside and amplify it? For 50 bucks it's a modest investment to try.
post #76 of 2505 Old 01-07-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:

The HR20 seems unstable for most, great for some. Friend of mine has one and is close to getting rid of it due to lockups and other issues. If you haven't already, check out the below forum to get a feel for how it's working.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Thanks. I have been reading DBSTalk for information about the HR-20. Although it appears to still have issues, the latest reports about newer software upgrades have been getting better reviews. I'll probably wait a while longer as I've been spoiled by the Tivo's I have so I'm worried about that. Plus, I've had very bad experiences with TWC's DVRs and would rather not endure anything like that again. I'll keep looking for a while.

post #77 of 2505 Old 01-07-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:

iflorack -

thanks for the tip in the channelmaster 4221. I'm now wrestling with the idea of picking up the 4228. I guess I'd rather err on the side of overkill and get it over with. Who knows - Maybe I'll be able to get blacked out Bills games out of Syracuse if I mount it outside and amplify it? For 50 bucks it's a modest investment to try.

You're welcome. Hope it works out for you!

If I had been sure that I was going to put my antenna on the roof in the first place, I'd have gone with the CM4228 too. However, since it's 2x the size of the CM4221 and I wanted to try to get it under the roof of the attic or garage, the 4221 was a better fit.

BTW, I tried a number of additional locations in the garage on Saturday without success. The place I had/have it was the best I can do -- without moving it outside. That'll be next.

post #78 of 2505 Old 01-13-2007, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Anyone here with HD service from Time Warner subscribe to NHL Center Ice or MLB Extra Innings? I'm thinking about doing either a second half of the season subscription to NHL CI or a full season sub of MLB EI this year and I was wondering how many games a week are broadcast in high def on channel 842.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #79 of 2505 Old 01-16-2007, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Anyone know who at Fox/Sinclair we can call at and basically yell at that Time Warner isn't carrying their HD signal. I know the basic saga - Fox is trying to get paid, TW won't pay to carry OTA stations (and I don't blame TW) I figure if Fox starting getting people calling and complaining, it might have a little effect.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #80 of 2505 Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

Anyone know who at Fox/Sinclair we can call at and basically yell at that Time Warner isn't carrying their HD signal. I know the basic saga - Fox is trying to get paid, TW won't pay to carry OTA stations (and I don't blame TW) I figure if Fox starting getting people calling and complaining, it might have a little effect.

But it is NOT FOX that doing this - it is Sinclair. They (Sinclair) are doing this on a national scale - and are moving the battle to SD as well. I do know some local business people that refuse to advertise on WUHF because of this. You might be more effective by calling companies who do advertise there and complaining to them.

Dave Hancock
post #81 of 2505 Old 01-22-2007, 01:33 PM

I just was setting my DVR to record Prison Break and I saw WUHF HD listed!!! Time Warner may be getting FOX in HD!!! Now I can see every pore of Jack Bauer's face as he blows the terrorists to kingdom come!
post #82 of 2505 Old 01-22-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikAmi View Post

I just was setting my DVR to record Prison Break and I saw WUHF HD listed!!! Time Warner may be getting FOX in HD!!! Now I can see every pore of Jack Bauer's face as he blows the terrorists to kingdom come!

I noticed yesterday during the Bears game.

Its about time!
post #83 of 2505 Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Wow, that's cool. I was actually going to post I saw on WUHF that their license is up for renewal - this means the FCC is taking comments on if it should be renewed or not

However, me and a friend both just scanned all our channels and neither of us found the HD fox - where is it for those of us without the set top boxes?

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #84 of 2505 Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 AM

I am just finishing installing a home theater and need some HD advice. I did purchase an HD-DVD but would also like to received HD content via either:

Dish
Direct-TV
Time Warner Cable
Over the air

I have been a Dish subscriber for many years but right not Dish and DirectTV do not carry the locals (ABS, NBC, CBS, Fox, and PBS) in HD. I have been told it might happen in the fall.

If I want to watch the upcoming NCAA tournament, that leaves me either getting it over the air or becoming a cable subscriber. I already get Road Runner so becoming a cable TV subscriber (maybe even there all in one package) could save me some money.

I live in Mendon right at the south end of Mendon Ponds Park. I am not sure how easy or hard it would be to pick up HD channels over the air. I would also need an HD tuner since me home theater uses a projector.

Any help would be much appreciated
post #85 of 2505 Old 02-22-2007, 07:39 AM

Has anyone in Rochester, NY figured out the right subchannel designation for FOX-HD, I heard rumor that it was recently made available by Time-Warner. I have an HD-TV w/QAM tuner and no cable box, and have found the unencrypted subchannels for the other major networks, and the W-B.
Thanks,
Dave
post #86 of 2505 Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 AM

WUHF Channel 31 (Fox) should be on either 83.1 or perhaps more recently on 81.1
post #87 of 2505 Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 AM

Henderson: If you just want the locals, you can always get the "lifeline" cable package from TWC, It should be about $7-$8 bucks more per month, and you will be able to get all the locals in HD via unencrypted QAM. The "all-in-one" packages can be attractive for the intro pricing, but usually it's cheaper to go with Vonage or ATT or another vendor for VOIP.
post #88 of 2505 Old 02-24-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Not really. I've figured this out plenty of times. All The Best Premium is $155.95 for Video (includes 1 digital terminal and all the movie channels), Data and Phone. Equal Video and Data service from TW would run $143.65.

Digital Cable - $55.95
HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/The Movie Channel/Starz/Encore - $39.80
Digital Terminal and Remote - $7.95
Road Runner - $39.95
Total $143.65

Phone service only adds $12.30, plus tax. Franchise fees, DVR fees and other options will negate themselves between the two pricing comparisons.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #89 of 2505 Old 02-24-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post

Henderson: If you just want the locals, you can always get the "lifeline" cable package from TWC, It should be about $7-$8 bucks more per month, and you will be able to get all the locals in HD via unencrypted QAM. The "all-in-one" packages can be attractive for the intro pricing, but usually it's cheaper to go with Vonage or ATT or another vendor for VOIP.

Though this is a good point, I believe that his projector does not have any sort of tuner. Finding a separate QAM tuner these days is not easy.

Dave Hancock
post #90 of 2505 Old 02-25-2007, 06:39 AM

How are you getting 15mbit down/1mbit up with RoadRunner? You wouldn't have FIOS available in your area by any chance?

I don't think that cheap a pricing is available in Rochester.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page