2Likes

post #1351 of 2505 Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post

It did not add to the conversation because I never tried to state that antennas were not there, just that I hadn't observed them. I was very clear that my statement was based on just looking and talking, but it clearly was never put out as a definitive statement that no one in my hood uses OTA - even I am not that stupid.

Can we put this inane part of the discussion to bed?

OK, great. I guess the written word blurs what is behind the comment sometimes. I assumed it was still open to disucssion...didn't know it was officially closed at that point....sorry for annoying you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2505 Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Rizzo View Post

Yes, TW has exclusive rights to SU games in Rochester....... Saturday's game will be BO'ed on Full Court and SNY in Rochester. I have Dish but, I bet the same applies for DirecTV.

OK, thanks. That is definitely a downer if you are a Syracuse fan and want DirecTV or Dish.

-Tim
post #1353 of 2505 Old 01-13-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There's always something that tw has that keeps me from jumping...
post #1354 of 2505 Old 01-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim9710 View Post

OK, thanks. That is definitely a downer if you are a Syracuse fan and want DirecTV or Dish.

-Tim

Didn't check today's game, but Syracuse has not been blacked out on SNY on Dish so far this season. I live in Wayne County.
post #1355 of 2505 Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 AM

TW and Sinclair agree on fees, and the world keeps spinning....as if nothing happened, except just another business negotiation. Maybe we can still keep affiliates....keep broadcasting?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...e-dispute.html
post #1356 of 2505 Old 01-16-2011, 01:16 PM

Liked: 11
As long as TW is able to raise our rates some more. Who cares ? I am sure that any increase due to this latest agreement will filter it's way down to us.
post #1357 of 2505 Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post

As long as TW is able to raise our rates some more. Who cares ? I am sure that any increase due to this latest agreement will filter it's way down to us.

Too bad there's no way to ever really know. Makes for good drama and fodder for forums though. Either way, TW got heat put on it and either lost some customers due to fear of losing Fox, or dealt with those who took the Stop the Cap website advice of threatening to leave (because of the Fox thing) just to get better pricing. By calling attentinon to this issue, and trying to use the leverage of its customer base and public opinion as a weapon, they ulitimately cost themselves money in subsciption revenue. How much money, and if its worth whatever gains they made at the negotiation table, can only be speculated about.
post #1358 of 2505 Old 01-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Can someone in the Rochester market give me an indication of what the taxes and fees are on a Direct TV package with 4 or 5 "boxes" and the prestige package?

Also, if you also happen to have a TWC RR and phone package, what are the taxes and fees on that package?

Thx
post #1359 of 2505 Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Can someone in the Rochester market give me an indication of what the taxes and fees are on a Direct TV package with 4 or 5 "boxes" and the prestige package?

Also, if you also happen to have a TWC RR and phone package, what are the taxes and fees on that package?

Thx

I assume you mean Premier Package (top choice) which I don't have but the packages run (from lowest to highest) and they all include HD locals
  • Choice
  • Choice Extra (I have this one)
  • Choice Ultimate
  • Premier

I have:
  • Choice Extra Package 210+ digital channels with 50+ in HD = $63.99
  • DVR Service (once/house no mater how many 'boxes' = $7.00
  • Whole Home DVR Service (allows viewing any HD or SD recording in any room) -- no matter how many 'boxes' = $3.00
  • (2) HD DVR's and (1) SD receiver - 1st unit is 'free' and each additional is $5.00/month = $10.00
  • DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK Adds ~6 HD-Only channels = $4.99
  • Tax = $1.56

Total is $90.54

You could obviously drop some of he above but that's what I have.

I don't have TW phone service but I do have RoadRunner service and that's $54.95 without cable.

Not exactly what you asked for but I hope it helps.

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.
post #1360 of 2505 Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thx

Here's mine with Signature Home. Satellite TV, cable TV and cable broadband aren't taxed in NY State, surprisingly enough. When I had DirecTV I was changed 21 cents in taxes for the DVR fee, but not the actual programming.

Cable PSC Fee - $0.09
Regulatory Recovery Fee - Federal - $0.06
Regulatory Recovery Fee - State - $0.40
LNP Recovery Fee - $0.03
Cable Franchise Fee - $10.67
Cable FCC Regulatory Fee - $0.07
Telecom Sales Tax - $2.46
State Telecom Excise Tax - $0.92
Telecom Universal Service Fund - $1.29
E-911 Surcharge - $0.35
Telecom FCC Regulatory Fee - $0.03
Taxes And Fees Total - $16.37

$10.67 of that is for Video Franchise Fees and the $0.07 Cable FCC Regulatory Fee is only for video subscribers as well IIRC, which leaves you $5.63 total in taxes and fees if you have digital phone and Road Runner only and 100% of that is on digital phone. If you had RR only you're bill would be $54.90 or whatever on the dot.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #1361 of 2505 Old 01-30-2011, 01:38 PM

How many channels can I record/watch on a direct tv DVR similtaneoulsy?

Does direct TV have a channel similar to TWC where I can view recently aired shows from ABC, CBS, and NBC for the month or two after they air?
post #1362 of 2505 Old 01-30-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:

How many channels can I record/watch on a direct tv DVR similtaneoulsy?

Does direct TV have a channel similar to TWC where I can view recently aired shows from ABC, CBS, and NBC for the month or two after they air?

DirecTV HD DVRs can record two feeds at once while you watch either feed or a recorded program if you wish. If the HD DVR has OTA capability or if you have an add-on OTA tuner for those DVR's that don't have that capability built in, one or both of the two feeds can be OTA. With Whole Home DVR capability, and you have -- say two HD DVR's -- you can record four streams simultaneously and then watch any of the recorded shows on any of your DVR's or receivers -- in HD (if it was recorded in HD of course). You can even watch a show that's recording elsewhere -- while it's recording. Also, I'd like to throw in that both DirecTV's and Dish's HD DVR's are vastly superior to TWC's in every way possible.

DirecTv has Video On Demand -- both TV and Cinema but I honestly don't use it much for TV so I can't speak to how good it is -- or if it does what you asked. Having four available tuners at all times gives me the ability to record everything I'd like to watch so I have no need of relying on a service to have shows that I've missed ready for me. It's not a service I even attempt to use because I record everything, I watch nothing live (other than sports) and I don't miss recording anything I want to watch since I have no conflicts that four simultaneous tuners can't handle. If four wasn't enough, I'd lease another one and I'd have six tuners

post #1363 of 2505 Old 01-30-2011, 06:32 PM

I know you didn't ask about it specifically, but I will just add some info about Dish Network as well. My bill doesn't show any tax at all. I have TW RR, no tax there either.

I only have only one 722 box, but it's actually two boxes in one..one HD and one SD output only. Most if not all DN boxes have an OTA tuner built in, so in my case I can record 3 HD shows simulataneously (two off the bird, one OTA) while watching a previously recorded show on TV1 and a different recording on TV2. The 722k boxes allow for an additional OTA tuner, so up to 4 simultaneous HD recordings can occur. The one thing Direct TV has on Dish is the ability to share recordings across different boxes. I can share access of all recordings on the two different tuners within the box, but if I had a seperate physical box it can't see what's on another box....Direct TV can....somehow.

Dish does have some sort of VOD, but I never use it. They send shows to store on your box via broadband (if it's plugged in) and then you can just watch it when you want, but it seemed the last time I checked it was sort of a random and limited amount of content. As lflorak indicated, that's really only for something you didn't have in your recording schedule anyway, since if it was important it's probably being recorded at some point. Also, as he said, the DVR is pretty impressive.
post #1364 of 2505 Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

With Whole Home DVR capability, and you have -- say two HD DVR's -- you can record four streams simultaneously and then watch any of the recorded shows on any of your DVR's or receivers -- in HD (if it was recorded in HD of course). You can even watch a show that's recording elsewhere -- while it's recording. Also, I'd like to throw in that both DirecTV's and Dish's HD DVR's are vastly superior to TWC's in every way possible.

Not so sure about that superiority anymore (I would have previously agreed with you). You can get whole house (Signature) DVRs from TW - each has 500GB, assuming a 2 HD DVR setup, you can be recording 4 programs at once (2 on each), and can do that while watching a recording from either DVR. This is just now becoming available (at an extra cost of course - and it only comes in a package bundled with Turbo RR, and digital Phone).

Quote:

DirecTv has Video On Demand -- both TV and Cinema but I honestly don't use it much for TV so I can't speak to how good it is -- or if it does what you asked.

I think that the point he was making is that recent major network (ABC, CBS, NBC - no FOX or CW yet) programs are now available in HD On-Demand. If most of your watching is delayed network programs, then this is a plus (this is available to all TWC customers at no extra cost). It certainly reduces the "need" for additional DVRs (or any DVRs at all). I don't believe that either DirecTV nor Dish has this.

Dave Hancock
post #1365 of 2505 Old 01-30-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Not so sure about that superiority anymore (I would have previously agreed with you). You can get whole house (Signature) DVRs from TW - each has 500GB, assuming a 2 HD DVR setup, you can be recording 4 programs at once (2 on each), and can do that while watching a recording from either DVR. This is just now becoming available (at an extra cost of course - and it only comes in a package bundled with Turbo RR, and digital Phone).

That's good about the Whole Home DVR service coming to TWC. I find it to be an excellent addition to DVR abilities. But, the superiority is also the flexibility and power that allows recording shows via many criteria including keyword, actor, genre, show type, HD, 3D, etc. You can do wildcard searches for title, actors, etc. Once you get to a show, you can look up facts about the actors and entire cast and facts about the show -- as well as other shows the actors have been in. You can then search for all upcoming shows with that particular actor, etc. or set up a auto-search to record any shows meeting the criteria in the future.

Quote:

I think that the point he was making is that recent major network (ABC, CBS, NBC - no FOX or CW yet) programs are now available in HD On-Demand. If most of your watching is delayed network programs, then this is a plus (this is available to all TWC customers at no extra cost). It certainly reduces the "need" for additional DVRs (or any DVRs at all). I don't believe that either DirecTV nor Dish has this.

I think you're right about DirecTV not having that specific service. I agree it's a nice service -- and it could be a nice addition for those without DVR's. But for me, I think I still like the power of having multiple tuners and recording what I need to esnure I'll have it for later.

post #1366 of 2505 Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you're right about DirecTV not having that specific service. I agree it's a nice service -- and it could be a nice addition for those without DVR's. But for me, I think I still like the power of having multiple tuners and recording what I need to esnure I'll have it for later.

That new feature works for me. I record a lot of network programs (the major nets don't repeat programs like the cable nets do) and recently ran into a conflict Wednesday nights at 10. Can't record Law & Order: SVU, Off the Map (haven't made up my mind about that show yet) and Blue Bloods. Have to choose which 2 to record. Fortunately, Blue Bloods & Off the Map are available at On Demand (1014) in HD. So that works well for me - I watch Blue Bloods on On Demand and DVR the others. But others preferences may differ.

Dave Hancock
post #1367 of 2505 Old 01-30-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:

That new feature works for me. I record a lot of network programs (the major nets don't repeat programs like the cable nets do) and recently ran into a conflict Wednesday nights at 10. Can't record Law & Order: SVU, Off the Map (haven't made up my mind about that show yet) and Blue Bloods. Have to choose which 2 to record. Fortunately, Blue Bloods & Off the Map are available at On Demand (1014) in HD. So that works well for me - I watch Blue Bloods on On Demand and DVR the others. But others preferences may differ.

Exactly, I have been using the new feature for Monday nights at 10 PM - The Good Wife vs Parenthood vs Detroit 187.

Lee's mention of the whole house DVR's with two DVR boxes does get around this with the option to record 2 shows on each DVR; I have to way the cost of the second DVR. So far my biggest issue seems to be the cost of the extra box - I would need 5, they provide two at no charge.
post #1368 of 2505 Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Exactly, I have been using the new feature for Monday nights at 10 PM - The Good Wife vs Parenthood vs Detroit 187.

Lee's mention of the whole house DVR's with two DVR boxes does get around this with the option to record 2 shows on each DVR; I have to way the cost of the second DVR. So far my biggest issue seems to be the cost of the extra box - I would need 5, they provide two at no charge.

Just to throw this into the mix, you may be able to get way with receivers instead of DVR's at some of your locations. DVR's add two additional 'ports'of recording capacity, are obviously more powerful than receivers and are therefore a bit more expensive up front. Receivers allow viewing (only) at additional locations -- either from a live feed at that location or from DVR recordings from all household DVR locations and are a bit cheaper up front.

post #1369 of 2505 Old 02-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Noticed last night that channel 42 is running 2 subchannels now.
At least one has some entertainment on it - Amen!
What next ...will wbgt go digital? And get a subchannel? they've had their application in 6 mos..
post #1370 of 2505 Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 PM

anyone know of any updates? i have the 8300hd dvr

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #1371 of 2505 Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just read this article on Stop the Cap that discusses TWC's New Whole House DVR & I was wondering how many boxes does the standalone price listed in the article come with because it says that price includes the DVR box. I was also wondering how much the Total for Digital Cable with the Whole House DVR would be because I'm interested in it but I don't want to make my Cable Bill go up.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Here's a link to the article if you want to read it.

http://stopthecap.com/2011/02/15/rev...revolutionary/
post #1372 of 2505 Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

I just read this article on Stop the Cap that discusses TWC's New Whole House DVR & I was wondering how many boxes does the standalone price listed in the article come with because it says that price includes the DVR box. I was also wondering how much the Total for Digital Cable with the Whole House DVR would be because I'm interested in it but I don't want to make my Cable Bill go up.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Here's a link to the article if you want to read it.

http://stopthecap.com/2011/02/15/rev...revolutionary/

Why don't you contact TW and find out.

Dave Hancock
post #1373 of 2505 Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Why don't you contact TW and find out.

That's a good idea. I'll send them an e-mail tonight.
post #1374 of 2505 Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 AM

tw cable and internet was out from 12:00am to 3:24am feb. 19th

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #1375 of 2505 Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Coulda been the wind? I'd still bet multipath. I have trouble where I am with wroc, but not the others. Different frequencies bounce differently off different objects (guessing)...does point directly opposite the hill help?
post #1376 of 2505 Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 AM

Coulda been the wind? I'd still bet multipath. I have trouble where I am with wroc, but not the others. Different frequencies bounce differently off different objects (guessing)...does point directly opposite the hill help?
post #1377 of 2505 Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaff09 View Post

Say, who are you responding to? The last "problem" posted was from shibez saying:
Quote:

tw cable and internet was out from 12:00am to 3:24am feb. 19th

The wind & multipath wouldn't apply there.

Dave Hancock
post #1378 of 2505 Old 02-20-2011, 06:14 PM

Hah that's funny.. the post I was replying to is now gone
post #1379 of 2505 Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Does basic cable come with any HD channels? Would I need a TWC cable box to see them?
post #1380 of 2505 Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwnet View Post

Does basic cable come with any HD channels? Would I need a TWC cable box to see them?

Yes, it comes with the local broadcast channels and does NOT need a cable box - provided your set has a built-in QAM tuner (and virtually all HD sets made today do). These are available on even the lowest cost "basic" (about $10/month) tier. Time Warner does not really like to admit that you don't need a box, but they are required by the FCC not to encrypt them so they are "in the clear".

Once you get the cable installed, you have the set scan for channels. You are likely to find a rather large list of digital channels, many of which are "junk", encrypted, etc. You will need to sort through the junk and remove the ones that you don't want. Buried in there will be the following channels:
31.1 WUHF QAM 86-1
13.1 WHAM QAM 86-2
21.1 WXXI QAM 86-3
8.1 WROC QAM 93-8
10.1 WHEC QAM 93-10
13.2 WHAM/CW QAM 115-2

The first set of numbers (31.1, etc) is the PSIP code that will often show up on the screen of your set. The QAM numbers are the actual physical channel that TW uses for the station. Note that there are 2 or 3 HD channels on a single QAM. The actual - number that shows up may vary between sets.

Best of luck.

Dave Hancock
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page