post #1831 of 2512 Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

I guess I'm not sure but I'd guess that Verizon is a only acting as a billing agent (as far as you're concerned) and technical or programming questions or issues should go through/to DirecTV.

Ok thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 2512 Old 01-26-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have been having a lot of problems with my 8300 recently. It just won't record things. I get messages in the log like this program failed to record. Luckily my alt dvr media center pc is picking them up... But since it is a windows pc, it has its own set of problems like lockups and protected content warnings for no apparent reason.

Today I noticed that Big Bang did not record on the 8300, so I tried pressing record manually while it was on and got a message like recording not allowed!

I get the daily show recorded, but colbert at 11:30 is 50/50. A manual recording at 6:30 today failed too.

I have tried rebooting the dvr. The only thing that has changed is that I moved it to a different location than it was for the last few years, but the mc pc is running off the same splitter and picking up the missed recordings. It's a mix of cc and ota tuners.

I'm baffled.
post #1833 of 2512 Old 01-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

My Aunt is having an audio problem with her 2 channel surround sound system & i don't know what's causing it so i'm hoping somebody here can help me find the problem. I was at her house over the weekend watching a DVD movie & the audio coming out of the right speaker was going up & down all buy itself & we didn't touch the volume controls or anything on the remote. Her left speaker may be dead because no audio came out of it. When she uses her satellite dish you don't hear any audio problem coming out of the right speaker. Below is her setup. Her DVD Player & Dish Network DVR is connected to her Audio/Video Receiver, it's connected to some kind of switch box that's connected to all of the speakers in her home. She has 2 speakers in the living room, 2 in the kitchen & 2 more in her home office/Family room. The speakers in her kitchen & home office/family room are turned on at the switch box their connected 2 when she has the radio or CD Player on. The only speakers having this problem are in her living room. Any help will be appreciated.
post #1834 of 2512 Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Take the switch out and see if that solves the problem.
post #1835 of 2512 Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Take the switch out and see if that solves the problem.

If she takes out the switch then she can't use her Kitchen/Family Room Speakers to listen to music from Radio or her 5 disc CD player. I think she'd rather move her satellite & DVD to the TV Speakers instead of removing the switch.
post #1836 of 2512 Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Is anybody with TW having trouble receiving A&E HD tonight because it's out on my TV tonight. Last Sunday when i got home from my aunt's house Food Network HD & HGTV HD went out & they came back after TW refreshed the signals entering my home. I rebooted my box & the problem didn't go away so i sent them an e-mail asking them to refresh the signals entering my home again. They better not tell me i should have them look at the wiring at my home because there's no problem with my wiring & all of it was installed by TW. I'll start taking another look at all the Dish Network & DirecTV Promotions again & see if i can find one that my family will like since they don't want to leave TWC.
post #1837 of 2512 Old 02-01-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

What ever happened to the prime time on demand channels that TW had?
post #1838 of 2512 Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

What ever happened to the prime time on demand channels that TW had?

They are now on channel 735 (both SD and HD) and Entertainment on Demand is now on channel 733 (again, both SD and HD). Same has happened with HBO HD on demand - merged with the HBO on Demand channel - not that easy to find as far a I'm concerned.
post #1839 of 2512 Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
TW's organization of On Demand makes no sense at all.

Wait....... their HD channel organization makes no sense at all too!!!!

Dave Hancock
post #1840 of 2512 Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

I just found an article from WHEC that says a new law may soon force TWC & MSG to make an agreement. I also heard MSG is allowing WHEC & WGRZ to show this Saturday's Sabres game. It starts at 7PM. Can't Wait.

http://www.whec.com/sports/stories/S....shtml?cat=571
post #1841 of 2512 Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

What a blessing this disagreement has been. We've missed the worst Sabre's hockey in quite some time. Let's hope they pick it up!
post #1842 of 2512 Old 02-17-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
From The New York Times
Quote:

Time Warner Cable and MSG Resolve Dispute

By HOWARD BECK and RICHARD SANDOMIR

The 48-day standoff between the MSG Network and Time Warner Cable ended Friday, according to two people aware of the resolution who were not authorized to speak publicly.

The end of the impasse will be announced Friday afternoon by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and executives of both companies. A settlement had been urged by Eric T. Schneiderman, the state’s attorney general. The governor’s intervention in the past 24 hours with James L. Dolan, executive chairman of Madison Square Garden, and Glenn Britt, chief executive of Time Warner Cable, accelerated the agreement.

The blackout deprived many Knicks fans around the state of seeing much of the rapid rise to stardom of point guard Jeremy Lin — as well as the continued success of the New York Rangers.

The impasse began Jan. 1 with the companies disagreeing angrily over what Time Warner Cable would pay to continue carrying MSG. Time Warner Cable, which serves more than two million customers, insisted that MSG reneged on a proposal for a 6.5 percent increase late last year and then demanded a 54 percent hike. MSG has never discussed figures publicly but said Time Warner’s were not accurate.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1843 of 2512 Old 02-17-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

For those with Time Warner in Rochester, what is your opinion of the picture quality of the Buffalo Sabres HD feed on channel 1092?

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #1844 of 2512 Old 02-22-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

For those with Time Warner in Rochester, what is your opinion of the picture quality of the Buffalo Sabres HD feed on channel 1092?

Compressed... looks alright stationery and with minimal movement... but as soon as that camera is swinging side to side as play goes from one side to the other and everything on screen is changing, there's ghosting artifacts and blocky looking ice. It was never like that before.
post #1845 of 2512 Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally found an antenna that works for me. I got it for around $30, currently $40.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Paper Thin Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna

I live only 4 miles from Pinnacle hill, but 590 or something blocks my first floor reception. I get reception with other antennas, but not reliably. I have it mounted at about 7 feet off the floor at the moment, up against the wall and get solid reception on my WMC tuners. It also functions as an fm antenna.

I can't say how well it would work for long distances, but it's a neat design.
post #1846 of 2512 Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I used to live by Pinnacle hill and had all kinds of problems with interference. I never expected to have so much trouble here.
post #1847 of 2512 Old 02-27-2012, 04:36 PM

http://wbgttv.com/

I can't seem to get it yet... anybody else?
post #1848 of 2512 Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM

I just checked my kitchen TV and its up and running.
Had to do a rescan.
post #1849 of 2512 Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpergo View Post

I just checked my kitchen TV and its up and running.
Had to do a rescan.

Wasn't there before.. now I got it. Cool
post #1850 of 2512 Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Does anybody with dish network know if they still charge a $5 fee if your receiver isn't connected to a phone line?
post #1851 of 2512 Old 03-03-2012, 07:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

Does anybody with dish network know if they still charge a $5 fee if your receiver isn't connected to a phone line?

was wondering the same thing my self...only for D*..had it years ago and remembered it needed to be connected to one...pretty lame if it still needs to be..considering not many use landlines these days.(i use magic jack)

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #1852 of 2512 Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaff09 View Post

http://wbgttv.com/

I can't seem to get it yet... anybody else?

alright! been waiting for 3 years for it to go digital....i emailed them about 3 years ago and they told me by the end of fall they were going live...

post #1853 of 2512 Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post

was wondering the same thing my self...only for D*..had it years ago and remembered it needed to be connected to one...pretty lame if it still needs to be..considering not many use landlines these days.(i use magic jack)

DirecTV no longer requires a landline connection. I have mine connected to my LAN so I can do whole home DVR service but even that's not required if you don't care about that. Pay-per-view, movie rentals etc. may also require a telephone or LAN connection but sine I have the LAN connection, I'm not sure.

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for details.
post #1854 of 2512 Old 03-03-2012, 01:58 PM

in greece 20mins ago...anyone else have an outage?

post #1855 of 2512 Old 03-03-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Must be specific to your area, not a system wide problem. I'm being fed off the Stafford headend and phone, internet and digital cable are all fine.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #1856 of 2512 Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

My Cable never went out today & my service also comes from the Stafford headend.
post #1857 of 2512 Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM

I've got my DVR remote set to power up both the DVR and the TV, in that order. In the last week or so though, the picture has not been coming up unless I manually turn on the TV, wait about 30 seconds, and then turn on the DVR. I'm assuming the DVR is now freaking out if the TV is not ready and waiting when it powers up. Anyone else notice this? More importantly, is there a way to fix it?
post #1858 of 2512 Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_Grenadier View Post

I've got my DVR remote set to power up both the DVR and the TV, in that order. In the last week or so though, the picture has not been coming up unless I manually turn on the TV, wait about 30 seconds, and then turn on the DVR. I'm assuming the DVR is now freaking out if the TV is not ready and waiting when it powers up. Anyone else notice this? More importantly, is there a way to fix it?

That's a little odd. It could be that TW has changed the software and this new SW has a "bug" that is causing the problem.

I normally leave the DVR on (I know, it is not the most energy efficient thing to do) and don't have this issue. I do have a different issue, though: when powering up the TV (or just changing inputs) the DVR drops the output resolution to the lowest enabled (on the DVR) resolution. I find that simply changing channels to a station with a different resolution (720p for example) will force a HDMI negotiation with the TV and all will be fine. The TW CSR (idiot) script would have me "fix" that problem by enabling only one resolution - but I find that my TV (and most TVs) do a better job of scan conversion than the TW Cable Box.

Dave Hancock
post #1859 of 2512 Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_Grenadier View Post

To me it sounds like the problem is your remote not the cable box. Try re-programming it & if that doesn't help call tw or get a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

That's a little odd. It could be that TW has changed the software and this new SW has a "bug" that is causing the problem.

I normally leave the DVR on (I know, it is not the most energy efficient thing to do) and don't have this issue. I do have a different issue, though: when powering up the TV (or just changing inputs) the DVR drops the output resolution to the lowest enabled (on the DVR) resolution. I find that simply changing channels to a station with a different resolution (720p for example) will force a HDMI negotiation with the TV and all will be fine. The TW CSR (idiot) script would have me "fix" that problem by enabling only one resolution - but I find that my TV (and most TVs) do a better job of scan conversion than the TW Cable Box.

My cable box does the same. Every time i turn on the tv my box goes to 480P before i turn it on. If i change inputs on my tv with the box on it goes to 480P then back to the resolution the channel i'm watching uses. It's not a problem for me & i'm used to it.

A friend on mines noticed yesterday my cable box is still giving me free access to TW Sports Pass because i don't subscribe to it but my box will let me access those channels & was wondering if this is the same with other TW Customers because i think the free preview they were having ended February 29th.
post #1860 of 2512 Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

To me it sounds like the problem is your remote not the cable box. Try re-programming it & if that doesn't help call tw or get a new one.

To be clear, the remote is powering both devices up properly, just as it always has. The problem is in the DVR negotiating with/connecting to the TV. Both the TV and the DVR are powering up, it's just that the DVR is not sending output to the TV unless I power the TV up first.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page