post #1861 of 2509 Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_Grenadier View Post

To be clear, the remote is powering both devices up properly, just as it always has. The problem is in the DVR negotiating with/connecting to the TV. Both the TV and the DVR are powering up, it's just that the DVR is not sending output to the TV unless I power the TV up first.

Now it sounds like a HDMI problem. I would try a different HDMI Cable because the cable could be bad. If that doesn't work try a different HDMI input on your tv because it could be a bad port on the box or the tv. If that doesn't work i would switch to component or call tw & get a new box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2509 Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

Now it sounds like a HDMI problem. I would try a different HDMI Cable because the cable could be bad. If that doesn't work try a different HDMI input on your tv because it could be a bad port on the box or the tv. If that doesn't work i would switch to component or call tw & get a new box.

That's not a likely solution. The problem is pretty clearly an issue with the handshake that takes place with the cable box and the TV and is the sort of thing that crops up when the cable box software is changed.

Dave Hancock
post #1863 of 2509 Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

All TW boxes have navigator software on it & I've never had or heard of any problems with the handshake between the TV & the box until now so that's why i through it was the HDMI Cable or the HDMI port. Maybe the software on the box doesn't like your TV. I would see if the problem is the TV's software or the Navigator Software on your box by connecting the box to another tv & see what happens when you turn them on.
post #1864 of 2509 Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All TW boxes have navigator software on it & I've never had or heard of any problems with the handshake between the TV & the box until now so that's why i through it was the HDMI Cable or the HDMI port.

Actually, there are two basic types of Navigator software: MDN and ODN. MDN runs on the older boxes that don't have CableCARDs (such as the 8300HD) while ODN runs on the newer boxes that do have CableCARDS (such as the 8300HDC). The Navigator thread here on AVS are full of people (with both types of Crapigator) with handshake issues.

TW is constantly revising both types of SW and issues such as this (and the resolution change problem) constantly crop up.

Quote:

Maybe the software on the box doesn't like your TV. I would see if the problem is the TV's software or the Navigator Software on your box by connecting the box to another tv & see what happens when you turn them on.

The SW doesn't "see" the TV when the box is first powered up - so it can't "like" or "dislike" the TV. This is the way that HDCP (the handshake part of the SW) should work! (Box doesn't know if the device it is sourcing is legitimate, so it won't send the signal.)

Dave Hancock
post #1865 of 2509 Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info in your post dave. If i ever have this problem (hoping i don't) i would call TW & complain or get a new box.
post #1866 of 2509 Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
noticed a new tw HD channel in rochester...CBS SPORTS NETWORK. so far i like it. has a espn style

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #1867 of 2509 Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post

noticed a new tw HD channel in rochester...CBS SPORTS NETWORK. so far i like it. has a espn style

It's not new. We've had that channel in SD for years and years, had it in HD for 2 or 3 years now. It used to be called College Sports TV, then CBS College Sports about a year ago it simply became CBS Sports Network. The channel is typically part of the Sports Pass. If you don't subscribe to the Sports Pass, and just noticed the channel now, I'm guessing the channel is in free preview mode due to March Madness.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #1868 of 2509 Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

It’s not new. We've had that channel in SD for years and years, had it in HD for 2 or 3 years now. It used to be called College Sports TV, then CBS College Sports about a year ago it simply became CBS Sports Network. The channel is typically part of the Sports Pass. If you don't subscribe to the Sports Pass, and just noticed the channel now, I'm guessing the channel is in free preview mode due to March Madness.

ah ok thx steve! and i don't subscribe to sports pass so that must be it

post #1869 of 2509 Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's not new. We've had that channel in SD for years and years, had it in HD for 2 or 3 years now. It used to be called College Sports TV, then CBS College Sports about a year ago it simply became CBS Sports Network. The channel is typically part of the Sports Pass. If you don't subscribe to the Sports Pass, and just noticed the channel now, I'm guessing the channel is in free preview mode due to March Madness.

TW Sports Pass has been in free preview mode on my cable box ever since MSG was removed from our channel lineup. I'm not subscribed to sports pass & i normally don't watch any of those channels but i want to know why they would give me a free preview for 2-3 months.
post #1870 of 2509 Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

TW Sports Pass has been in free preview mode on my cable box ever since MSG was removed from our channel lineup. I'm not subscribed to sports pass & i normally don't watch any of those channels but i want to know why they would give me a free preview for 2-3 months.

They gave everyone the Sports Pass for January and February while MSG was missing, to try to mitigate the loss of MSG.
post #1871 of 2509 Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_Grenadier View Post

They gave everyone the Sports Pass for January and February while MSG was missing, to try to mitigate the loss of MSG.

I know TW gave us Sports Pass for free when we lost MSG. I want to know why TW is giving me Sports Pass in march when i'm not subscribed to it or paying for it.
post #1872 of 2509 Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 AM

Anybody know what's up with them? They don't answer email. Is it possible wroc protested when they started using channel 46, even though FCC approved? Haven't seen it on in over a week.
post #1873 of 2509 Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM

They're back on tonight... still curious what is up
post #1874 of 2509 Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaff09 View Post

They're back on tonight... still curious what is up

probably still getting all the kinks worked out

post #1875 of 2509 Old 03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Last night when i was watching Storage Wars Texas the information screen on my cable box showed the information for the 10PM Episode when the 10:30PM episode was on until i hit the pause button. When i hit play it showed the correct information again. Also when i change channels the same information screen showed 0:00 for the start & stop time for 5 seconds then it shows the correct information. I don't know why this is happening or what's causing it. I've tried rebooting my cable box more than once & the problem continues. I'll appreciate any help you can give me.
post #1876 of 2509 Old 03-28-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Question for those with DirecTV, what local channels do you guys get in HD, 8, 10, 13, 21, 31, anything else? And does the Rochester area get Pittsburgh Pirates and Cleveland Indians games in the clear like we do in the Buffalo area if you have the Sports Pak? I don't think those teams claim Rochester but I'm not sure. I'm thinking about 'moving'.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #1877 of 2509 Old 03-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Question for those with DirecTV, what local channels do you guys get in HD, 8, 10, 13, 21, 31, anything else? And does the Rochester area get Pittsburgh Pirates and Cleveland Indians games in the clear like we do in the Buffalo area if you have the Sports Pak? I don't think those teams claim Rochester but I'm not sure. I'm thinking about 'moving'.

DirecTV offers all of the locals you listed above in HD. DirecTV doesn't offer the CW network so if your interested in getting that station you would need cable or an antenna. What Station are you watching the Pittsburgh Pirates and Cleveland Indians games on because i've never heard of them?
post #1878 of 2509 Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not really interested in the CW HD. I get WNLO HD on cable on 1016 and never watch it, it's not in HD on DirecTV. I'm not sure where the team boundaries end, but in addition to the NY Yankees and NY Mets, the Cleveland Indians and Pittsburgh Pirates are also home teams' for Buffalo. I'm not sure how far it extends, but here in Erie Country, if you subscribe to DirecTV and you have the Sports Pak, you can see the Pirates games in the clear on Root Sports Pittsburgh and the Indians games in the clear on Sports Time Ohio. I'm wondering if I move' (IE change the service address on my DirecTV account to one in the Rochester area while keeping the billing address the same), if I'll still be able to get those teams in the clear. I'm not really a fan of either of those teams, I just like having baseball games to flip though. For the first time in 3 seasons, I'm not planning on subscribing to MLB Extra Innings as I'd rather get NFL ST next year.

Basically, I'd rather have Rochester locals over Buffalo locals. That's all I'm trying to accomplish here, but wondering in doing so, if I'll lose the extra baseball games. Every once in a while I used to watch the Rochester local channels via QAM and preferred them over their Buffalo counterparts. It's was fun when channel 4 was pulled, I'd just connect the cable line directly to the back of the TV, do a scan and tune to wherever WROC HD was located so I could watch the Bills and my CBS primetime shows. Having an alternative set of local channels, might make my time with DirecTV more pleasent. Buffalo locals on cable, Rochester locals on satellite. I could live with that.

post #1879 of 2509 Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not really interested in the CW HD. I get WNLO HD on cable on 1016 and never watch it, it's not in HD on DirecTV. I'm not sure where the team boundaries end, but in addition to the NY Yankees and NY Mets, the Cleveland Indians and Pittsburgh Pirates are also home teams' for Buffalo. I'm not sure how far it extends, but here in Erie Country, if you subscribe to DirecTV and you have the Sports Pak, you can see the Pirates games in the clear on Root Sports Pittsburgh and the Indians games in the clear on Sports Time Ohio. I'm wondering if I move' (IE change the service address on my DirecTV account to one in the Rochester area while keeping the billing address the same), if I'll still be able to get those teams in the clear. I'm not really a fan of either of those teams, I just like having baseball games to flip though. For the first time in 3 seasons, I'm not planning on subscribing to MLB Extra Innings as I'd rather get NFL ST next year.

Basically, I'd rather have Rochester locals over Buffalo locals. That's all I'm trying to accomplish here, but wondering in doing so, if I'll lose the extra baseball games. Every once in a while I used to watch the Rochester local channels via QAM and preferred them over their Buffalo counterparts. It's was fun when channel 4 was pulled, I'd just connect the cable line directly to the back of the TV, do a scan and tune to wherever WROC HD was located so I could watch the Bills and my CBS primetime shows. Having an alternative set of local channels, might make my time with DirecTV more pleasent. Buffalo locals on cable, Rochester locals on satellite. I could live with that.

I looked at DirecTV's web site & you should be able to get Root Sports Pittsburgh & Sports Time Ohio in Rochester. Their Website also says DirecTV offers CW Network in Rochester but i read somewhere on here they don't. (Can't remember where exactly.) Just wondering why aren't you changing your Billing address? In Your last Sentence above you said
Quote:

Buffalo locals on cable, Rochester locals on satellite.

You can't get Buffalo's Locals on cable in Monroe County & DirecTV won't let anybody get Rochester Locals in Buffalo so i'm a little confused on why you said that.
post #1880 of 2509 Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't live in Monroe County, I live on the very eastern edge of Erie County in Marilla, so my cable service is out of TW Rochester, since I reside in Erie County, I am exclusive to the Buffalo market, so I only get Buffalo locals on cable using the digital cable box, I can get Rochester locals on QAM though. In Genesee County, Rochester clams significantly viewed status so you guys get Rochester locals in addition to Buffalo on cable. I have both cable and DirecTV, and instead of having two sets of Buffalo locals, I'd like to have access to Rochester locals as well as Buffalo. So that's where having Buff with cable and Roch with DirecTV comes in. This can be achieved by what, on internet message boards is referred to as moving' (notice the quotations), where you don't really move but tell DirecTV that you did. You keep your billing address the same (So your bill and any other materials get sent to your actual address) but change your service address on the account. And boom! You now have a new set of locals. The legitimate use of this can be say for example I had a cabin somewhere that is claimed by a different TV market and was planning to stay there for a while, I could call DirecTV and tell them that I'm staying somewhere else for a period of time.

The issue that comes into play is since your service address changes, so do the sports teams you are authorized to view. The Sabres are my main concern, but that's irrelevant since most of Upstate NY gets the Sabres as their home NHL team. Yes, DirecTV carries Root Sports Pitt and STO in Rochester (So long as you have the Sports Pak you can view them), and everywhere else in the country, but it's the blackout policy I'm inquiring about, if the Pirates and/or the Indians territory expands into the Rochester DMA or not.

post #1881 of 2509 Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Now i understand what your trying to do. I don't know how the Blackout Policy will affect the Pirates & Indians games but you won't have any problems watching the sabres after you move your service address. You could ask DirecTV if the Rochester DMA is part of the Pirates/Indians Territory.
post #1882 of 2509 Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM

Looks pretty good too. They aren't making a big deal about it.

update...now that im looking at it longer im not so sure its actual HD...O_O

post #1883 of 2509 Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks pretty good too. They aren't making a big deal about it.

update...now that im looking at it longer im not so sure its actual HD...O_O

That's not new. YNN has been in HD for a while now. I think YNN started broadcasting in HD sometime in 2010.
post #1884 of 2509 Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

That's not new. YNN has been in HD for a while now. I think YNN started broadcasting in HD sometime in 2010.

wow really? i cant believe its been 2 years since ive tuned in to YNN HD...and the last time I did i know i saw bars on the sides...

post #1885 of 2509 Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow really? i cant believe its been 2 years since ive tuned in to YNN HD...and the last time I did i know i saw bars on the sides...

A lot of "HD" newscasts these days feature SD material blown up to fill the 16x9 frame by cutting off the top & bottom. This includes many news shots on network shows as well as some local field items on WHEC.

Dave Hancock
post #1886 of 2509 Old 04-07-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

According to the latest Legal Notifications, TV Guide Channel HD gets launched on May 22 in Rochester on channel 1091. And on May 8th 1092 will removed. Looks like all future Sabres games will be on 1043.

post #1887 of 2509 Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

According to the latest Legal Notifications, TV Guide Channel HD gets launched on May 22 in Rochester on channel 1091. And on May 8th 1092 will removed. Looks like all future Sabres games will be on 1043.

I saw the same legal notice & was wondering why are they now moving the sabres from 1092 to 1043?
post #1888 of 2509 Old 04-08-2012, 11:01 PM

Is MLBHD on 1070 New or did they just change the logo?

post #1889 of 2509 Old 04-09-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is MLBHD on 1070 New or did they just change the logo?

MLB Network HD has been on for a few years now, ever since it launched. It was just a logo update. Last night TW updated the logos for MLB Network HD, IFC HD and TV Japan. They still need to updated the logos for Fox Movie Channel, now called FXM, again, the SD feed of TCM, they need to get a logo for TV Guide Channel, WNLO HD, and get HD logos for H2 HD, Tru TV HD and a few others.

post #1890 of 2509 Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw the same legal notice & was wondering why are they now moving the sabres from 1092 to 1043?

Okay here’s the deal. Back when MSG HD first launched on Time Warner in 2008, Sabres games were on channel 1043. Channel 1043 was the main NYC feed of MSG HD, and the Sabres games were ‘injected’ onto that channel. If you tuned in prior to the start of the game you’d actually see the feed switching over seconds before the Sabres intro started. As you probably noticed over the years, the picture quality on Sabres games has quite frankly sucked. MSG suggested to Time Warner in order to solve this problem that the Sabres games were put on their own separate channel. If you haven’t noticed, when the Sabres and Rangers didn’t play on the same night at the same time, the Rangers games used to be in the clear on 1043 and whenever the Sabres were on, we got the blue screen telling us to tune to channel 1092. The programming we got on MSG SD and MSG HD wasn’t always in sync with each other as the SD feed was the Buffalo feed and the HD feed was the NYC feed.

The picture got slightly better over time, and the audio break up issues were solved, but the PQ still sucked in comparison. Not sure what happened, but ever since the Avalanche/Sabres game last month, the picture quality of the HD Sabres games has been pristine, and now we even get the Dolby 5.1 audio feed. It looks like whatever problems have been plaguing TW and MSG over the past 3 or 4 years now are finally solved. And now, if you tune to MSG on 206 and MSG HD on 1043 the schedules are perfectly aligned, the transition between regular MSG programming and Sabres Hockey on MSG HD is now seamless. This leads me to the conclusion that the Buffalo feed of MSG, I believe the Buffalo/Rochester Zone is dubbed Zone #3, is now in HD where as before like I said it was the NYC feed with the Sabres slapped in there. Channels 1092 and 1043 are now simulcasts of each other, 1092 has the full MSG line up, and for the last handful of games, the Sabres could be seen on 1043 as well as 1092. The two channels aren’t mirrors of each other, as one channel is a second or two a head of the other, so each channel is using bandwidth. Unlike HBO HD on channels 1060 and 1100, that’s just one channel mapped and mirrored to two different channel numbers.

Now that everything is hunky dory in the land of MSG HD Zone 3 on Time Warner, there is no more need for channel 1092.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page