Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1981 of 2509 Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK i guess im just going with the tivo Premire XL ...I found it for 50 bucks less on ebay brand new smile.gif I dont really care about losing On demand since i got netflix, and Blockbuster on the tivo...and i got Vudu on my ps3...

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2509 Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post

I was thinking about just buy my own cisco....the best model they had...in the past i saw websites who sold them but i cant find them anymore ....
Often these have turned out to be stolen. TW has a database of serial numbers of units that they have provided. Anything purchased from "outside" will not be in that database.

It used to be (may still be) that cable boxes/DVRs in Canada have to be purchased from the provider. So if someone dropped cable (and went with a dish or something) they would legitimately sell them on e-Bay. But also, there was some traffic in cable owned equipment where "customers" would cancel cable, skip town and sell the box on e-Bay. There used to be (5-6 years ago) a lot of posting in other areas of the AVS about this. The purchasers ended up "holding the bag".

It has always been the intention of Congress to give cable customers the ability to own their own equipment. There were laws passed that mandated that the FCC find a way to do this. First came CableCARDs, but it was never mandated that these have two way capability (needed for On Demand and certain other "services"). That is why most boxes these days have CableCARDs. Other than being a PIA for cable, these did not pan out. Cable's answer to the CableCARD mandate was OCAP (aka "Tru2Way"), and even some TVs incorporated the technology. But cable was slow rolling out OCAP (really it never has been fully implemented) and the few consumer devices that emerged were withdrawn years ago. Finally, in 2010 there was some talk of a different approach (called AllVid). Endgadget had a decent article on this.. All has been pretty quiet on that front since then.

Dave Hancock
post #1983 of 2509 Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
God bless you!

When I had DirecTV the first time around, I got to experience TiVo in all of it’s glory. I hated it. The whole TiVo user interface was enough to drive me up a wall. I’ll take the worst of the worst when it comes to Navigator, I’ll take SARA, but I’d go without a DVR before I ever downgrade myself back to a TiVo. Contrary to popular opinion, I think TWs Navigator is the best DVR platform around. Or at least from what I’ve used. And it’s always been rock solid for me. No complaints, about it here and just when I think it couldn’t get any better, a new update comes out and makes it better.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #1984 of 2509 Old 06-27-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

God bless you!
When I had DirecTV the first time around, I got to experience TiVo in all of it’s glory. I hated it. The whole TiVo user interface was enough to drive me up a wall. I’ll take the worst of the worst when it comes to Navigator, I’ll take SARA, but I’d go without a DVR before I ever downgrade myself back to a TiVo. Contrary to popular opinion, I think TWs Navigator is the best DVR platform around. Or at least from what I’ve used. And it’s always been rock solid for me. No complaints, about it here and just when I think it couldn’t get any better, a new update comes out and makes it better.

is it really that bad???? eek.gif i wont lie i love the guide lay out on tw...i am not complaining about that at all and i actually like the new update....i cant take the slowness/lagginess of it anymore tho(also the pix-elated skips, the channel not available messages...ect...)...their hardware is complete crap. i feel like ive been using the same STB since I first Went HD back in like early 07....and ive had like 6 or 7 "different" boxes since then that ALL look the same...mad.gif

and i have a tech come out 2 times he says my signal is more than fine ...one time he actually told me my problem was happening because i was using HDMI instead of component...uh YEAH ok..i wanted to laugh in his face...

post #1985 of 2509 Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Some people love the TiVo UI, myself I hated it, and I don’t think it’s changed much since I last used it in 2006. But good luck with yours.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #1986 of 2509 Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post

hey guys i am fed up with my cable box ....i want a new one..this one is just so slow...i have a HD DVR model 8240HDC ...is there anything out there that is faster than what i have? if not faster ..just in general better? for the amount of money i am paying i shouldnt be dealing with this much lag...and channel unavailable messages... and skipping of my shows... they say my signal is fine. OH and another thing....anyone else ever have to reboot because the screen noticeably jitters? you can tell when the info screen is up...Anyways i have been thinking about trying to get a better box for sometime but after this lastest Firmware update...things are Much Slower it seems...its the last straw. Any help appreciated...i need the best

My HD DVR is also an 8240HDC & all day thursday my box was so slow that it took 15-20 seconds for it to respond when i pushed any button on the box & remote. Last night after my box automatically rebooted it was fast again. The info screen on my box also jitters if your referring to the fact that the info screen freezes sometimes when the show changes until i hit pause then play or change the channel. I like the new navigator especially the black background. I haven't had any other problems since the reboot. If i wanted to get a faster HD DVR from TW what model would they give me?
post #1987 of 2509 Old 07-01-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got the "currently unable to record message", so the new look didn't fix my recording problems. It's like it has lost a tuner (8300hd).
post #1988 of 2509 Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

I just got the "currently unable to record message", so the new look didn't fix my recording problems. It's like it has lost a tuner (8300hd).

That happens on my cable box (8240HDC) if i'm changing the channel when it starts recording another channel. If i change the channel after it starts recording i don't have any problems.
post #1989 of 2509 Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I have never seen that message before on any box, running any version of the firmware.

post #1990 of 2509 Old 07-02-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have never seen that message before on any box, running any version of the firmware.
I've seen it when they upgraded me to Multi-room. The basic problem was with the connection at the pole (the STB was having problems communicating with the node). My old STB (SA8300HD) apparently had a little greater tolerance for poor signals, while the new STBs (8742HDC) would give problems.

The solution is to have a tech visit for this issue.

Dave Hancock
post #1991 of 2509 Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Legal Notifications updated today. Some good stuff on deck.

On July 31:

1163 - TV Land HD
1164 - MTV 2 HD

On Aug 15:

1191 - PAC 12 Network HD (SD feed on 234)

http://www.timewarnercable.com/MediaLibrary/4/152/Content%20Management/Documents/legal_1/legal_rochester.pdf

post #1992 of 2509 Old 07-03-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

On July 31:
1163 - TV Land HD
1164 - MTV 2 HD
On Aug 15:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/MediaLibrary/4/152/Content%20Management/Documents/legal_1/legal_rochester.pdf

I know that North Texas is getting PAC12 network as well on:

196 PAC12 national Network SD feed
808 PAC12 national Network HD feed

North Texas is also to get the local Azteca America affiliate in HD soon.

TWC in Maine and Albany have announced the Basketball and Soccer HD channels for the oylmpics again this year which I am assuming will be available to most TWC areas nationwide in areas that have SDV.
post #1993 of 2509 Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On July 31:
1163 - TV Land HD
1164 - MTV 2 HD
On Aug 15:

I saw the same Legal Notice for Batavia & it didn't say what package PAC 12 Network would be in. I googled the network & it's apparently a sports network so i'm guessing it will require Digital Cable or TWC Sports Pass.
post #1994 of 2509 Old 07-04-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

I saw the same Legal Notice for Batavia & it didn't say what package PAC 12 Network would be in. I googled the network & it's apparently a sports network so i'm guessing it will require Digital Cable or TWC Sports Pass.

Sports Pass is where the PAC12 Network will be at least in non PAC12 states.
post #1995 of 2509 Old 07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post

Sports Pass is where the PAC12 Network will be at least in non PAC12 states.

New York isn't a PAC12 state so i'm glad it's going to be in Sports Pass because i don't need another sports network i don't watch or want. The only sports i watch is Olympics & Nascar Sprint Cup Races.
post #1996 of 2509 Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

It would be great if we could get all of the PAC 12 feeds, I doubt that will happen any time soon though. I'm still waiting te rest of the Big Ten channels.

post #1997 of 2509 Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry to be coming in late to the Tivo discussion, but I have been on vacation...

I have been a Tivo user for many years. I have not upgraded to the Premier line of products, because I am quite happy with my TivoHD with the 1GB HD that I added myself. I also have a Series 2 Dual Tuner unit in my basement.

I have not upgraded to the Premier line of products mostly because I am satisfied with what I already have. It would be great to have a couple Premier units, which now supportmultiroom streaming of recorded videos between units (so you can record on one unit and view on the other unit) and bypass TWC's use of the CCI flag on non-local HD channels. But my budget does not support buying new units.

Early on, TWC had a lot of problems with the Cisco SDV Tuning Adapters, but those problems appear to have been fixed by later Tuning Adapter firmware updates (installed automatically).

The Rochester TWC tech support folks have done a great job supporting customers with Tivo units. If I call with a problem and identify myself as a Tivo user, I immediately get transferred to the "HD" support team who have access to Tivo units in their office and are really great about helping to resolve problems.

Newer Tivo units can also connect to YouTube, Pandora, Amazon Video on Demand, and some other online services, so if your TV or BluRay player does not already support these services then this may be of interest to you.

The downside of Tivo is obviously the cost of the unit plus the monthly charge. But it would be interesting to compare the overall cost of two Tivo Premier units with the overall cost of multiroom viewing from TWC.

/Don
post #1998 of 2509 Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Hey NASCARsorry for the late reply.......basically all that you said is everything that i am or have experience with this model. totally stinks...and as for your question on which the faster models are...that would be 8642HDC or 8742HDC but I dont believe you can actually get one....there are others here who have tried and they dont seem to have any at the mt. hope location....the 8742's that is....um even if they did i believe the only way you can be considered for one is if you already have a 8642....which means we both would have to upgrade to the multi room dvr service.....No ty. im already given tw like 130 a month for cable to watch channel not available messages because they dont have enough bandwidth mad.gif

post #1999 of 2509 Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like i'm keeping my slow cable box because i'm not getting multi room dvr service just so i can have a faster box when my bill is already $99 a month for just TV. I'll keep my internet & phone with Verizon where it's cheaper. Last Weekend my box refused to receive all channel's so i rebooted it & it still didn't work so i left it unplugged for one hour & it started working normally again after that. My TV didn't have any problems receiving Cable without a box while it was unplugged & my neighbors box was working fine that same day. When my sister got her dvr from the batavia office they would only give her the Samsung model so i'm guessing that's the model TW would give me if i had to get a new box.
post #2000 of 2509 Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Looks like i'm keeping my slow cable box because i'm not getting multi room dvr service just so i can have a faster box when my bill is already $99 a month for just TV. I'll keep my internet & phone with Verizon where it's cheaper. Last Weekend my box refused to receive all channel's so i rebooted it & it still didn't work so i left it unplugged for one hour & it started working normally again after that. My TV didn't have any problems receiving Cable without a box while it was unplugged & my neighbors box was working fine that same day. When my sister got her dvr from the batavia office they would only give her the Samsung model so i'm guessing that's the model TW would give me if i had to get a new box.

Yeah this is just ridiculous that we put up with this crap...you paying 100 just for cable tv...me 130...and we have very outdated slow STB's. Along with not being able to watch tv a good amount of the time...i would switch to sat. in a heart beat if i could but i am not allowed to get it where i live. (renter) I want tivo but the main thing that is making me not pull the trigger on it is even tho the tvio box would be much faster than what i currently have...it still wouldnt solve my "channel unavailable messages" That i constantly get.. and the cutting out on HD channels

post #2001 of 2509 Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

I've looked at the tivo premiere online & it would be faster than the boxes we have now but i don't have any extra money laying around to purchase it & the firmware looks a little bit confusing to me when i see images of it online. I hate seeing the channel unavailable message on my box even through pushing the a button a couple of times gets the channel to work.
post #2002 of 2509 Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Does WHAM simulcast all of the Yankees games that air on WWOR My 9?

post #2003 of 2509 Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 AM

Liked: 10
Usually they have them all on either 13 or the CW Channel.
post #2004 of 2509 Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

TV Land HD and MTV 2 HD added a day early. Both are live now.

post #2005 of 2509 Old 07-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TV Land HD and MTV 2 HD added a day early. Both are live now.

The Legal Notice pdf on TW's Website says it was supposed to be added today. What made you think they were added a day early?
post #2006 of 2509 Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Oops for some reason I thought they were supposed to go live on Aug 1.

post #2007 of 2509 Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Last Night i had a little difficulty receiving analog channels 8 WROC, 10 WHEC, 11 WXXI, 13 WHAM, 15 Educational Access, 25 Discovery, 26 TWCS, 27 CNN & 28 CNN Headline News because for a couple of hours after yesterday's storm my TV said No Signal on those Channels but those same channels on my box were working normally. Around 10PM last night they came back with a lot of static & the picture most of the time was black & white (No Color). Again those same channels on my box were still working normally. This morning all the analog channels were back to normal but i can't figure out what happened. If anybody else had this same problem or knows what happened please let me know. P.S. All of the analog channels i didn't mention didn't have any problems last night.
post #2008 of 2509 Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last Night i had a little difficulty receiving analog channels 8 WROC, 10 WHEC, 11 WXXI, 13 WHAM, 15 Educational Access, 25 Discovery, 26 TWCS, 27 CNN & 28 CNN Headline News because for a couple of hours after yesterday's storm my TV said No Signal on those Channels but those same channels on my box were working normally..
That's because TW does a digital simulcast on the expanded basic channels. By "digital simulcast" I mean that there are TWO SD versions of each expanded basic signal. One on analog and another on digital (plus, of course, often a third HD channel). The digital cable boxes are mapped to tune the digital SD channels, and not the analog ones. Typically, there are 12 or so such SD digital channels one one QAM (the space of a single analog channel). TW has announced that they will ultimately be switching entirely to digital - requiring at least a simple cable box (often called a "Digital Terminal Adapter")

Dave Hancock
post #2009 of 2509 Old 08-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

That's because TW does a digital simulcast on the expanded basic channels. By "digital simulcast" I mean that there are TWO SD versions of each expanded basic signal. One on analog and another on digital (plus, of course, often a third HD channel). The digital cable boxes are mapped to tune the digital SD channels, and not the analog ones. Typically, there are 12 or so such SD digital channels one one QAM (the space of a single analog channel). TW has announced that they will ultimately be switching entirely to digital - requiring at least a simple cable box (often called a "Digital Terminal Adapter")

Thanks for the info about the digital simulcast but i already knew my cable box uses a digital version of the analog channels my den TV gets. I still would like to know what made the analog channels listed in my last post stop working Sunday night. If or when TW switches our channel lineups to all digital do you know what channels the Digital Terminal Adapter would give us access to?
post #2010 of 2509 Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still would like to know what made the analog channels listed in my last post stop working Sunday night.
Ask TW - could be a lot of things (like an amp went out in your local node).
Quote:
If or when TW switches our channel lineups to all digital do you know what channels the Digital Terminal Adapter would give us access to?
Only TW knows - but from what I have seen of DTAs on a Comcast system, it would be all channels that you subscribe to - but NOT On Demand channels.

Dave Hancock
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page