Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 83 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2461 of 2505 Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Comcast has a cap of either 250 or 300 gigs a month, but everything that I have read so far states that this policy is not being enforced at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2505 Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post

. No TY. It's my internet that I PAY FOR..who the hell gets to tell me how much i can use of it? does the water company limit my usage? How about the electric company?

Really, really bad analogy if you’re arguing against caps. Water and electric are typically usage based, meaning the more you use, the more you pay. Comcast doesn’t cut you off or limit you after 250 GB or whatever it is, you just get charged extra, $10 for every $50 gigs IIRC. So the more you use, the more you pay, just like in your two examples of water and electric.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #2463 of 2505 Old 02-24-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

Really, really bad analogy if you’re arguing against caps. Water and electric are typically usage based, meaning the more you use, the more you pay. Comcast doesn’t cut you off or limit you after 250 GB or whatever it is, you just get charged extra, $10 for every $50 gigs IIRC. So the more you use, the more you pay, just like in your two examples of water and electric.

thats not so bad really...10 dollars for every 50gigs

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #2464 of 2505 Old 02-24-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

No, it's not as bad as everyone cries about. The Extreme 105 tier has a cap of 600 GB, which is really not that bad. One could always sign up for a business account and get unlimited data and Comcast's business prices are much friendlier then Time Warner's. Comcast isn't Verizon Wireless or AT&T Mobility, they don't charge you $10 per gig if you go over your tiny allotment. As long as I can get everything that I get now for roughly the same price, I do not care. As long as programming isn't dropped, as long as I can continue to get the outstanding customer service I get now, as long as advancements are being made, I do not care. I just hope many jobs aren't lost. Service tech, headend techs and similar positions shouldn't be affected, but I've met a lot of regional higher ups at Mt Hope and I hope everything works out for them.

My experience is not indicative of everyone, I get that but here's a thought. So far in the short year that 2014 has been, I've been online and more then ever, and that's saying a lot as the internet is my life. I don't believe in Netflix, Hulu or other crappy internet video streaming services. But I have downloaded the entire series so far of Shameless and House of Lies on DirecTV On Demand, along with about 10 movies. Every Saturday, and every Sunday when football is not on I stream Leo Laporte's Tech Guy in high definition and download three of his weekly videocasts in HD as well. I stream many hours of Sirius XM, Pandora along with an online radio station on Shoutcast called 'RockHard' that streams at 320k. Both my smartphone and tablet have received updates that are substantial in size. I reformatted one of my computers, had a gig worth of updates to download plus my entire music library on it from Google Music. I just bought an Xbox One which is data hungry. I often bring company laptops home from work to update them, I do work from home, VPN and remote desktop into work on a regular basis, transfer multi gigabyte files from work to home. My total data usage for the month of February thus far is 135 GB, my total for January is listed at 44 GB buts that's effective Jan 17, since I had my modem swapped out. I think I had around 80 GB prior to that. For someone like me who lives on the internet and not even being able to use the lowest cap Comcast offers in a two month span, I'm puzzled.

I'm against government interference in business, and do not want the government telling Comcast how they must run their own business, but I would be 110% in-favor of caps so long as they are waived for those of us with more services and higher levels of service.

Let the backlash begin!

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #2465 of 2505 Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 AM

Well I mean you are not the only one who "lives in the internet". I live on it too essentially...In a sense that i never leave my house and haven't since like 2003. It's rare that i leave...I won't go into details but i know countless others who are the same way as well. I have a friend who lives in iowa who does not have cable...and watches everything streamed. It's no big deal for her to go over 150gigs in a single month. Ive once seen her go over 200gigs. and she does get capped. I don't know her exact cap but there has been times when she is going to watch a movie and it just won't load for the stream. and she has no idea why...I try to explain to her but she doesnt really get it.

Point being We should all get the "no cap special services thing" smile.gif

post #2466 of 2505 Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mehs View Post

I'm against government interference in business, and do not want the government telling Comcast how they must run their own business, but I would be 110% in-favor of caps so long as they are waived for those of us with more services and higher levels of service.

I agree with you where you say the government should not tell businesses what they can & can't do. It's would be too much power for our government. With your statement about the caps I'm 200% against them because it feels like i'm being told how i can use my internet service & i don't like being told how to do things (unless i'm at work). If all my high speed internet options had a cap i would get unlimited dial up internet because the internet connection in my house will never ever have a cap on it.
post #2467 of 2505 Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the thing, you're not being told how to use the internet. Are you being told how to use your water or electricity? You can use as much data as you want, as long as you are not negatively impacting the performance of others on your node. On a rare occasion you do hear of that happening, but as long as you don't blatantly abuse your connection by maxing it out 24/7 your connection is in no way being limited, and it really isn't being capped. To me, caped means you get cut off, but you don't, you get charged more money, the more you use.

Bringing up dial up is laughable. You do have a cap on it, it's called you can't download more then 50kbps real world. What would you actually do on dial up besides wait a minute for a simple webpage like Yahoo to load? You can't stream video, you can't stream anything but the lowest quality audio, sure as hell can't download updates for anything, or game, or video conference or remote desktop. I'm too lazy to do the math, but your 'unlimited' dial up, even maxing the connection out and never hanging up would equate to a fraction of a 300 GB cap. I doubt you could even use 300 GB in a month by maxing out something as slow as Verizon's or Frontier's Granny DSL. It once took me 2 months at 12 hours a day (Earthlink only allowed up to 12 hours of continuous connectivity at a time) to download a 1GB file on dial up. A few days ago I downloaded 32 GB in a single day on cable. Last year I worked for a few months at dial up internet provider, our customers averaged 12-16 megs of data transfer a day.

post #2468 of 2505 Old 02-25-2014, 03:47 PM

id rather die than use dialup eek.gif

post #2469 of 2505 Old 02-25-2014, 04:29 PM

To say that those who subscribe to higher services than us common folk should not have caps whole the rest of us do is totally ridiculous. Fortunately, we do not use a lot of data each month anyway here. I am curious if the Comcast company will raise standard internet service to 50/5 speed from it's current 15/1. This is the current plan is that Time Warner has. We certainly could handle that speed quite well.
post #2470 of 2505 Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 PM

yeah time warner is definitely behind on what is "standard" whats it been like over 5 years since they made a speed increase?

post #2471 of 2505 Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Not really. Just under two actually. I believe in was April 2012 that Standard increased from 10Mb down to 15Mb. That's completely ignoring the 10% over provisioning bump all speed tiers saw this past Summer.

post #2472 of 2505 Old 02-26-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mine went down. When I got a docsis 3 modem it went way up, close to 30 and now it is back down at 16.
post #2473 of 2505 Old 02-26-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope, your speed did not go down. Time Warner just does not do PowerBoost any more. PowerBoost was a technology developed by Comcast that they licensed to other cable companies that would allow a temporary increase in download speed if there was available bandwidth on your node, often maxing out in the 30-35Mbps range. The night channel bonding first happened in my area, minutes after it went live I spiked at just under 70Mb. After a short period of time something like 30-45 seconds, your download speed would drop back down to whatever you were provisioned for. Some people called it a gimmick, some people thought it was a way to fool speed tests, but it was just a temporarily jolt of bandwidth. If you have Road Runner Standard your sustained speed should have been just under 15Mb as there was no over provisioning at that time. Speedtests would have shown 30Mb+, if you watched the data transfer rate on an actual download, it would have started off that high, and then in less then a minute dropped down to whatever you pay for. In the end all that happened was you lost a 45 second shot of speed but gained around 1Mb on a consistent basis.

post #2474 of 2505 Old 03-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Could somebody explain to me why TW is charging $1.50 every month for each new outlet you get installed. Will this only apply to new outlets you have tw install or will they make you pay the fee if you install a new outlet yourself. If you don't pay the fee will they somehow make those outlets not work?
post #2475 of 2505 Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody who looks at TW's Programming Notices Online may notice you can no longer get to them by clicking on "Regulatory" on the bottom of TW's web site but i found them on help.twcable.com. Below is a direct link to view them online.

http://help.twcable.com/twc_programming_notices.html
post #2476 of 2505 Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Current Legal Notices from TW include the following clear qam changes.
Quote:
On or about May 15, 2014, Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted (“in the clear”) channel on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (“a ClearQAM device”): YNN SD&HD, PEG, FLTV, Local Access, Government Access, Educational Access, Community Access, WSPX. If this occurs, you will need to go into the settings menu on your ClearQAM device and perform a new channel scan in order to resume viewing this channel. Customers using digital cable set-top boxes will not notice any change. We apologize for any inconvenience.

On or about June 12, 2014, Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted (“in the clear”) channel on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (“a ClearQAM device”): HSN SD&HD, WBBZ SD&HD. If this occurs, you will need to go into the settings menu on your ClearQAM device and perform a new channel scan in order to resume viewing this channel. Customers using digital cable set-top boxes will not notice any change. We apologize for any inconvenience.

On or about June 18, 2014, Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted (“in the clear”) channel on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (“a ClearQAM device”):YNN SD&HD, Local Access, FLTV. If this occurs, you will need to go into the settings menu on your ClearQAM device and perform a new channel scan in order to resume viewing this channel. Customers using digital cable set-top boxes will not notice any change. We apologize for any inconvenience.

On or about June 19, 2014, Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted (“in the clear”) channel on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (“a ClearQAM device”): YNN SD&HD, Local Access, FLTV, WNYO SD&HD, HSN SD&HD. If this occurs, you will need to go into the settings menu on your ClearQAM device and perform a new channel scan in order to resume viewing this channel. Customers using digital cable set-top boxes will not notice any change. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Also Showtime will have a free preview from June 27 - 29 & Fox Sports 2 will move to Variety Pass on July 1. Is the Variety Pass a part of the Digital Cable Package tw now calls Preferred TV.
post #2477 of 2505 Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 PM

Liked: 10

Is anyone in the Rochester area having new issues with OTA reception?  I live in Penfield and had a nice set up for an indoor antenna that worked perfectly when place in the North West corner of my house but now all of a sudden the signals are shooting up and down and I am losing reception off and on.  

I have tried connecting the antenna directly to the TV and the signal is weaker and still is shooting up and down.  

post #2478 of 2505 Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namragus82 View Post

Is anyone in the Rochester area having new issues with OTA reception?  I live in Penfield and had a nice set up for an indoor antenna that worked perfectly when place in the North West corner of my house but now all of a sudden the signals are shooting up and down and I am losing reception off and on.  

I have tried connecting the antenna directly to the TV and the signal is weaker and still is shooting up and down.  
Oftentimes shooting up and down indicates a reflector is causing multipath (the set's microporcessor is working at max. to decode a signal, but failing).

Common outdoor reflectors are trees, billboards, buildings, aluminum siding, metallic roofing, vehicles or airplanes

Larger objects indoors can also cause signal reflections into indoor receiving antennas, like refrigerators and door or window screens.
post #2479 of 2505 Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

To me it sounds like the signal is bouncing off of something. Has anything around the antenna or outside your house changed? (Example: New Trees, Roof, Siding or did you move anything in your house closer to the antenna) How did you have your antenna connected to your tv if it's normally not connected directly to the tv.
post #2480 of 2505 Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WUHF to get getTV on a subchannel soon:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008...tations/271009

dtv_junkie87
post #2481 of 2505 Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi all,

Does anyone know of someone locally that will install a decent antenna and do the coax run/grounding?

I found someone but he'll install a cheap multi directional antenna outdoors. I would prefer someone who'll install a decent Winegard on my roof.
post #2482 of 2505 Old 06-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post
WUHF to get getTV on a subchannel soon:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008...tations/271009

dtv_junkie87
I just read the same thing for WNYO in Buffalo. Also read getTV shows old movies just like TCM (TWC Channel 54 in Batavia Area).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaveyl View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know of someone locally that will install a decent antenna and do the coax run/grounding?

I found someone but he'll install a cheap multi directional antenna outdoors. I would prefer someone who'll install a decent Winegard on my roof.
You may get better responses if you told us your location. I recommended adding your location to your profile then it will show up on all of your current & future post.
post #2483 of 2505 Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

You may get better responses if you told us your location. I recommended adding your location to your profile then it will show up on all of your current & future post.

I am here in Rochester, NY. I live up in Greece, near Charlotte.

I would even try an indoors mount in my crawl space if that is any easier.

Last edited by bigdaveyl; 06-25-2014 at 07:08 AM.
post #2484 of 2505 Old 06-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am here in Rochester, NY. I live up in Greece, near Charlotte.

I would even try an indoors mount in my crawl space if that is any easier.
Unfortunately i don't know anything about installing an outdoors antenna but i've heard it's pretty easy to do. I sent a PM to a guy who may be able to help you, when i hear back from him i'll let you know what he says.
post #2485 of 2505 Old 06-25-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately i don't know anything about installing an outdoors antenna but i've heard it's pretty easy to do. I sent a PM to a guy who may be able to help you, when i hear back from him i'll let you know what he says.
Thanks.

I was either thinking of putting a Winegard 8200 outdoors or getting a Channel Master 4228 with a preamp to put in the crawl space indoors. I bet I could make a PVC stand or something and just place it up there and would need to run coax inside the outside wall or something if at all possible.
post #2486 of 2505 Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I was either thinking of putting a Winegard 8200 outdoors or getting a Channel Master 4228 with a preamp to put in the crawl space indoors. I bet I could make a PVC stand or something and just place it up there and would need to run coax inside the outside wall or something if at all possible.
You may not need a preamp with your antenna setup. I would go to tvfool.com & enter your address & it will tell you what channels you should be able to receive at your address & how strong they may be. That should be enough to determine if you need a preamp or not. My best guess would be no because the through of all the channels overloading keeps coming into my head.
post #2487 of 2505 Old 06-25-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
You may not need a preamp with your antenna setup. I would go to tvfool.com & enter your address & it will tell you what channels you should be able to receive at your address & how strong they may be. That should be enough to determine if you need a preamp or not. My best guess would be no because the through of all the channels overloading keeps coming into my head.
Well, I have done some playing with indoor antennas (unamplified) with very mixed results even though tvfool says I should be getting decent signal. That's why I was concerned.
post #2488 of 2505 Old 06-25-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, I have done some playing with indoor antennas (unamplified) with very mixed results even though tvfool says I should be getting decent signal. That's why I was concerned.
I currently use an indoors antenna in my bedroom & i can say from experience all indoors antennas are more sensitive to interference because they're so low to the ground so just about anything inside your home can weaken the signals they get. In my experience the microwave, vacuum cleaner & Window Air Conditioner easily weaken OTA signals on my antenna even when they not on the same floor. An outdoors antenna will always be superior because it's normally installed on the roof & not exposed to anything inside the house that could cause interference. The only interference an outdoors antenna can get comes from mother nature. I would try using the antenna without a preamp at first & see if you really need it. If you do need it then install it.
post #2489 of 2505 Old 06-25-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My best antenna is a mohu leaf. I have problems even though I am 4 miles from the hill north and east. I think 590 partially blocks the signal. I have to keep it high and it works quite well. I have a mohu ripoff that works well but is half as big and is not as good.

I have tried many antennas. Amped, yagi (unfotunately uhf only), amped, micro, table top. The mohu is clearly the best. I just got an ultimate for the mother in law in Leroy so we'll see if that is better than the one she has. She lived in Charlotte and I can't remember what we used to give her ota upstairs with a converter box.

If you live north, they send less signal toward the lake as there are not many viewers living in the lake.

I use the Mohu for a media center pc and it has been pretty reliable. My wife agrees that it is better than TW.

I have a cable card tuner too and that works well for recording the world cup but the darn recordings are copyrighted so I can't convert them to mp4.

Good luck!
post #2490 of 2505 Old 06-26-2014, 04:39 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
My best antenna is a mohu leaf. I have problems even though I am 4 miles from the hill north and east. I think 590 partially blocks the signal. I have to keep it high and it works quite well. I have a mohu ripoff that works well but is half as big and is not as good.

I have tried many antennas. Amped, yagi (unfotunately uhf only), amped, micro, table top. The mohu is clearly the best. I just got an ultimate for the mother in law in Leroy so we'll see if that is better than the one she has. She lived in Charlotte and I can't remember what we used to give her ota upstairs with a converter box.

If you live north, they send less signal toward the lake as there are not many viewers living in the lake.

I use the Mohu for a media center pc and it has been pretty reliable. My wife agrees that it is better than TW.

I have a cable card tuner too and that works well for recording the world cup but the darn recordings are copyrighted so I can't convert them to mp4.

Good luck!
There is a well known issue regarding WROC in these parts, specifically in NW Monroe county. 104 is the line of reported problems.

I believe a Canadian station has a re-transmitter that occupies channel 8 - I forget if it is a real or virtual station. I believe WROC sends out less power in this direction because of it.

My father lives about 2 miles from me and has an antenna on the roof with a rotor and no preamp. He can get most everything except channel 8. WXXI he can't get reliably in the summer. He has a giant tree next to the garage and the neighbor also has a giant oak tree, which is in the general direction of Pinnacle Hill. Also, I checked TV Fool and he is 2edge where I am LOS.

I have played with the cheap rabbit ears at my place, putting them in several different spots - basement, first floor, second floor.

I have found my TV's can at least pick up WHEC, enough to store it, anywhere in the house. WUHF and WHAM tend to be more finicky, but can be received. I can get ION and WBGT on the second floor no problem. WROC is finicky on the second floor. Actually, I have the most problems with WXXI.

I just ordered a Channel Master 4228HD to play with, figuring I can "hide" it somewhere for the time being. If it works on the second floor, I would assume it could work in the crawl space, if we can get it up there. If we can't, or it doesn't work well, I would assume we can either put it outside and it would most likely work there. If it doesn't, maybe I'll get one of the large Winegards then. The hard work of installing a mast, running coax and grounding would be done.

Sorry for the brain dump.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page