Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2491 of 2520 Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I heard back from my contact & he doesn't know how to help you so i showed your post to my dad & he recommends an outdoor setup over an attic setup because the antenna will work the best when it's on the roof. As for the preamp my dad doesn't recommend it. He says you should try a regular amplifier first & see if that helps improve the reception. If it makes things worse it will be easier to remove since it won't be on the roof. I've read a lot of good reviews about the Channel Master 4228HD so it should work just fine for you. One comment about WXXI, i've heard from a lot of people online that WXXI has bad reception the closer you get to lake ontario so it's no surprise your having the most trouble with that channel. Good luck with your antenna install & let us know how it works out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2520 Old 06-26-2014, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
I heard back from my contact & he doesn't know how to help you so i showed your post to my dad & he recommends an outdoor setup over an attic setup because the antenna will work the best when it's on the roof. As for the preamp my dad doesn't recommend it. He says you should try a regular amplifier first & see if that helps improve the reception. If it makes things worse it will be easier to remove since it won't be on the roof. I've read a lot of good reviews about the Channel Master 4228HD so it should work just fine for you. One comment about WXXI, i've heard from a lot of people online that WXXI has bad reception the closer you get to lake ontario so it's no surprise your having the most trouble with that channel. Good luck with your antenna install & let us know how it works out for you.
Yep, the outdoor set up would be optimal, but I am willing to change the parameters of the project if someone would be willing to do an indoor install but not an outdoor install

I may be forced to go with the not optimal solution. The guy that would do the omnidirectional antenna would charge $350 for parts & labor and would install above the roof line so it may be adequate....
post #2493 of 2520 Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaveyl View Post
Yep, the outdoor set up would be optimal, but I am willing to change the parameters of the project if someone would be willing to do an indoor install but not an outdoor install

I may be forced to go with the not optimal solution. The guy that would do the omnidirectional antenna would charge $350 for parts & labor and would install above the roof line so it may be adequate....
I think I found someone else in town would do it, and use better parts. He could install mine, or he could use his tested system that has worked well in the Rochester area and held up to the winters - he has been installing this since 2009.
post #2494 of 2520 Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So the Mohu ultimate was installed out in Leroy, just to the east of the Thruway exit. It pulls in all the Rochester channels, but no Buffalo, at least not from where my wife mounted it. She attached it, mounted it high on the wall and rescanned (all by herself!). This replaced another amped antenna that only got a couple of the channels as would a regular Mohu. The tv is an older Olevia so the tuner may not be that great.

This antenna would certainly work in Charlotte and should be splittable. That's what I do with mine, I had it running to the tv, fm tuner and media center pc.

The next experiment for her is attaching a w8 tablet to the tv and trying to run watchespn for the World cup games.

Last edited by gregoryperkins; 06-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.
post #2495 of 2520 Old 06-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Gregoryperkins,
My Dad lives in Leroy south of the village near the Livingston County Border & his traditional outdoors antenna with an amplifier can get all of rochester & most of buffalo so your antenna may need an adjustment if you want buffalo locals.

Last edited by MPNASCAR24; 06-30-2014 at 04:40 PM.
post #2496 of 2520 Old 06-30-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I know, I told them to put one outside, but this was easier. It only took 2 years and me ordering it! I just wasn't sure if it would get them or not. I got Buffalo one day in Irondequoit with an outdoor antenna (not very high) and that was it. She's just happy to get the roc locals.

The sad thing is their primary tv is a crappy 26" tube with dish. They still need an antenna to get the locals and this one does them no good since it is on the other side of the house. So one side of the house has HD locals, the other an ancient tv.
post #2497 of 2520 Old 07-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

All of my dad's tv's are tube tv's & he's so cheap he won't replace anything until it breaks for good. I almost forgot he also has a basic indoors antenna in his bedroom & that antenna will only get rochester locals so that may explain why the mohu antenna is only getting rochester. He says he wants to attach a splitter to his outdoor antenna so he doesn't have to get out of bed to adjust the indoor antenna whenever he changes the channel but he keeps forgetting to buy it.
gregoryperkins likes this.
post #2498 of 2520 Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Yeah I know, I told them to put one outside, but this was easier. It only took 2 years and me ordering it! I just wasn't sure if it would get them or not. I got Buffalo one day in Irondequoit with an outdoor antenna (not very high) and that was it. She's just happy to get the roc locals.

The sad thing is their primary tv is a crappy 26" tube with dish. They still need an antenna to get the locals and this one does them no good since it is on the other side of the house. So one side of the house has HD locals, the other an ancient tv.
Have you thought about getting an outdoor antenna to use indoors?

I had good luck with playing with a CM 4228HD without amplification in my bedroom. I think with a decent amp and a little more patience, I could have received all locals.

I tried putting it in my garage rafters. Too big, and I would have had issues turning it.

I returned it and ordered it's little brother, the 4221HD. Supposedly, it has almost the same gain but a wider beam width. And it is half the size. I also got two different pre-amps to try. This will be my last ditch effort before bringing in an installer. I did end up finding two locally that will install half decent antennas. The one guy will install a Antenna's Direct 91xg along with an AntennaCraft Y10-7-13. This is supposed to be a well regarded combo along with a rotor, a decent tripod rated for 70MPH winds... Unfortunately the cost is $600. I would rather do the job myself for $100 and maybe call someone to run coax.
post #2499 of 2520 Old 07-03-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Rochester, NY - HDTV

Quote:
Have you thought about getting an outdoor antenna to use indoors?

I had good luck with playing with a CM 4228HD without amplification in my bedroom. I think with a decent amp and a little more patience, I could have received all locals.

I tried putting it in my garage rafters. Too big, and I would have had issues turning it.

I returned it and ordered it's little brother, the 4221HD. Supposedly, it has almost the same gain but a wider beam width. And it is half the size. I also got two different pre-amps to try. This will be my last ditch effort before bringing in an installer. I did end up finding two locally that will install half decent antennas. The one guy will install a Antenna's Direct 91xg along with an AntennaCraft Y10-7-13. This is supposed to be a well regarded combo along with a rotor, a decent tripod rated for 70MPH winds... Unfortunately the cost is $600. I would rather do the job myself for $100 and maybe call someone to run coax.
I have a Channel Master 4221 mounted in my garage rafters and I'm also using a 7777 Pre-Amp. It's split to handle locals on my 2x TV's for the very rare times where my DirecTV signal fails - and in case I decide to drop DirecTV at some point and use my AppleTV and Roku players along with the antenna for locals. I live in Hilton and have it aimed so that it receives all of the Rochester stations very well. I don't have it on a rotor, so I don't get Buffalo stations - haven't even tried. Of course, YMMV.

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.

Last edited by lflorack; 07-26-2014 at 05:11 AM.
post #2500 of 2520 Old 07-03-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I have a Channel Master 4221 mounted in my garage rafters using a 7777 Pre-Amp. It's split to handle locals on my 2x TV's for the very rare times where my DirecTV signal fails - and in case I decide to drop DirecTV at some point and use my AppleTV and Roku players along with the antenna for locals. I live in Hilton and have it aimed so that it receives all of the Rochester stations very well. I don't have it on a rotor, so I don't get Buffalo stations - haven't even tried. Of course, YMMV.
I have a CM7777 coming as well as the RCA preamp that seems popular (handles overload more gracefully, so they say). Amazon took back the 4228HD with no problems and I'm a prime member so I'm paying very little to nothing for shipping to me. It was like $12 to ship back the 4228HD.

I am in Greece so I'm assuming you'll have weaker signals than me. Stupid question, did you have any issues getting WXXI while trying to tune for ION? It seems in my toying around, WXXI seems a bit weak, and I had more of a problem with that than WROC (which has issues getting to these parts). Maybe I need to play a bit more and I'm thinking of building a PVC stand once I know the antenna will fit and get everything reasonably well.
post #2501 of 2520 Old 07-03-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I have a CM7777 coming as well as the RCA preamp that seems popular (handles overload more gracefully, so they say). Amazon took back the 4228HD with no problems and I'm a prime member so I'm paying very little to nothing for shipping to me. It was like $12 to ship back the 4228HD.

I am in Greece so I'm assuming you'll have weaker signals than me. Stupid question, did you have any issues getting WXXI while trying to tune for ION? It seems in my toying around, WXXI seems a bit weak, and I had more of a problem with that than WROC (which has issues getting to these parts). Maybe I need to play a bit more and I'm thinking of building a PVC stand once I know the antenna will fit and get everything reasonably well.
I didn't remember the signal strengths from when I set it up a few years ago, so I just used the signal strength meter on my DirecTV DVR and here's the %-strength readings for the Rochester stations (includes all sub-channels where applicable):
08/WROC - 83%
10/WHEC - 100%
13/WHAM - 100%
21/WXXI - 100%
31/WUHF - 95%

As you can see, the reading on 08/WROC is the lowest of them and it fluctuates more than the rest. However, it still solid while watching it.

post #2502 of 2520 Old 07-21-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally decided to get rid of the 8300 and get a Tivo with the sale they had this weekend. It should pay for itself in a couple of years. Dish and Direct made it impossible to get the channels I want without getting their biggest package.

I have a 2 year old cable card/tuning adapter on my windows PC. Should I get new equipment or has it not changed much? The TA is massive.

Thanks,

Greg
post #2503 of 2520 Old 07-26-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I got it yesterday, moved the cc and ta from the media center pc and into the tivo. After a quick call to TW, it was running properly.

Simultaneous hdmi and component, 6 tuners, 30 second skip hack, I'm pretty happy. The ipad app is pretty cool, you can watch recorded shows directly or download non copy protected shows onto it.

Too bad they fired most of their engineers earlier this year. I suppose they think the Roamio is perfect.
post #2504 of 2520 Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Good to hear you got your tivo working gregoryperkins.

I heard on WCJW this morning that a couple of big cable companies are trying to get congress to make Free Over The Air TV come to a end forever. The DJ said you can visit www.keepmytv.org for more information & to find out how you can tell congress to say no to the big cable comanies.
post #2505 of 2520 Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Good to hear you got your tivo working gregoryperkins.

I heard on WCJW this morning that a couple of big cable companies are trying to get congress to make Free Over The Air TV come to a end forever. The DJ said you can visit www.keepmytv.org for more information & to find out how you can tell congress to say no to the big cable comanies.
I'm a bit suspicious of tat website: It is run by the National Association of Broadcasters who are afraid that laws may be passed that undermine the hold that the broadcasters have on cable companies that force our cable rates to increase. It is not about your ability to put up an antenna and "cut the cord", it s about continuing the lock hold that the broadcasters have on the cable companies.
gregoryperkins likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #2506 of 2520 Old 09-05-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Finally dropped TW. Went with Dish Network

Any other Dish subscribers in the rochester area? So far I am enjoying it...just had a pretty bad thunder storm here out in Gates and the signal was out for maybe a min. Its still raining but the signal good. Um just some concerns though:
I noticed my signal levels are on average about 55 out of 100( i think)...is this normal for The rochester area?

Also the installer was very nice seemed very knowledgeable. But had a few problems when installing...First there was a mixup i guess with the amount of boxes we wanted. My brother told the woman on the phone yesterday he wanted 3 room hook-ups. and she said that we were going to get 2 HD DVR boxes and 1 standard def box. ..naturally I ws expecting to get that when the tech came..but he was explaining we were signed up for 1 DVR and 1 HD Box. and then the Bedroom TV would be mirrored from the HD DVR...so essentially the DVR function on the HD DVR was useless if someone was watching a show in the bedroom. Because if you recorded something in the livingroom HD DVR it would force the bedroom TV to watch it. (only 2 tuners on the HD DVR) This was the first thing that really was starting to make us angry...

The next thing that sent us over the edge was the fact that after he finished..we tried out the cool new remote and begun channel changing...we noticed there was NO HD channels....right away i think he knew the customer service rep effed up again...he went out to call her..came back..and told us that we were signed up for STANDARD DEF only...even though the lady on the phone told my brother we were going to get HD for free for 24 months. sigh....and then the tech said he was going to have to charge us to exchange the dish with a HD dish...Well understandably we were a little P-Oed. He called into the main office though and explained the situation to whoever...(he sounded like he lived in texas) and did not want to be cooperative at all...and was going to make the tech pretty much do 2 jobs but only getting paid for 1...but i dont know my brother was really mad and I think the guy at the texas office could sense it because finally he waived the second install fee. Also gave us he HD for free but only after we had to sign up for Auto Bill. which we didnt want to do..but whatever. So were hooked up now...been using it for about8 hours and we all seem to like it. I especially like the xm-sirius music channels. much better than Music Choice.
The picture seems to be much nicer than time warner cable for sure. Hopefully we dont run into anymore issues but i am sure we will...we do have the 8 dollar a month service protection plan though..even though we are leasing equipment which makes no sense..but whatever. I had satellite only once more in my life..which was in 2004, and that was directv. Just was finally fed up with TWC extremely high prices for crap. If rochester had another option for Broadband i would get rid of the internet as well. But frontiers UP TO 6Mbps hasnt cut it for about 5 years now.

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #2507 of 2520 Old 09-06-2014, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Ya know the funny thing about Frontier DSL? My dad has never had a problem watching Netflix with it. It always ramps up faster than TW does and never seems to drop in quality.

My TW Netflix experience has been poor at best. Sometimes great, but very erratic. Lately it has been good. Maybe some back room deal with TW?

Sorry to hear about your Dish experience. It's hard to believe that they have the balls to charge for HD. What year do they think this is, 2008?

Every time I tried to switch, I could not get the price to stay down after I added the sports channels I needed. I always ended up in the top tier. The easy thing to do was stick with TW.
post #2508 of 2520 Old 09-06-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post
Any other Dish subscribers in the rochester area? So far I am enjoying it...just had a pretty bad thunder storm here out in Gates and the signal was out for maybe a min. Its still raining but the signal good. Um just some concerns though:
[snip]
The picture seems to be much nicer than time warner cable for sure. Hopefully we dont run into anymore issues but i am sure we will...we do have the 8 dollar a month service protection plan though..even though we are leasing equipment which makes no sense..but whatever. I had satellite only once more in my life..which was in 2004, and that was directv. Just was finally fed up with TWC extremely high prices for crap. If rochester had another option for Broadband i would get rid of the internet as well. But frontiers UP TO 6Mbps hasnt cut it for about 5 years now.
I can't speak to Dish as I have DirecTV and find it better than TWC in just about every way. Like most service-type organizations, the game we call CSR roulette is a given unfortunately. It's the same with TWC, DirecTV and (obviously) Dish. Who you get and how good they are is always a gamble. My experience with CSR's from TWC was they were even worse than anything I've encountered elsewhere. Once you get through that with DirecTV, and from what I hear - Dish, the product you'll get is much better in IMHO. Good luck.

post #2509 of 2520 Old 09-06-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Ya know the funny thing about Frontier DSL? My dad has never had a problem watching Netflix with it. It always ramps up faster than TW does and never seems to drop in quality.

My TW Netflix experience has been poor at best. Sometimes great, but very erratic. Lately it has been good. Maybe some back room deal with TW?

Sorry to hear about your Dish experience. It's hard to believe that they have the balls to charge for HD. What year do they think this is, 2008?

Every time I tried to switch, I could not get the price to stay down after I added the sports channels I needed. I always ended up in the top tier. The easy thing to do was stick with TW.
Funny You say that about Netflix streaming with TW...Since ive moved to this new house I have definitely experienced some erratic speeds with TWC. Usually after i call and complain or reboot the modem it is fixed. Its been fine for the last few days though.
As for frontier..it would probably be fine if it was just me..but there is 3 people here who are fairly heavy streamers..So 6 just isn't enough.

Dish has a good promo right now with the Free HD for 24months if you sign up for auto bill. Their cheap package(top 120) seems to have all the channels twc's standard has and more..but in general i don't think dish is that good for sports lovers.

While i do love sports..my main love is for the bills and thankfully i can see all their games this year with dish's cheap package. Next year i will probably have to get the next package up for the NFL network. Oh and Dish's Sport pack is regularly 11 dollars a month. and you get 35 channels of sports with it. or its free until dec. 31st right now if you get their second best package or higher.

post #2510 of 2520 Old 09-06-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I can't speak to Dish as I have DirecTV and find it better than TWC in just about every way. Like most service-type organizations, the game we call CSR roulette is a given unfortunately. It's the same with TWC, DirecTV and (obviously) Dish. Who you get and how good they are is always a gamble. My experience with CSR's from TWC was they were even worse than anything I've encountered elsewhere. Once you get through that with DirecTV, and from what I hear - Dish, the product you'll get is much better in IMHO. Good luck.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your directv. I imagine once Comcast takes over our area we will see more people switching to satellite. The horror stories i have watched on youtube about them is just nuts. Good Luck to you as well!

post #2511 of 2520 Old 09-06-2014, 02:43 PM

We are getting ready to play the silly switch service game because my promo is coming to an end soon. I must keep TW as an internet service provider, but TV is down to either DirecTV or staying with TW IF they give me a deal that causes me to want to stay with them. I will not consider DISH because they do not have the MSG network and with no MSG we will not see many of the Sabres games.
post #2512 of 2520 Old 09-06-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
We are getting ready to play the silly switch service game because my promo is coming to an end soon. I must keep TW as an internet service provider, but TV is down to either DirecTV or staying with TW IF they give me a deal that causes me to want to stay with them. I will not consider DISH because they do not have the MSG network and with no MSG we will not see many of the Sabres games.
Yea they don't have the YES network either..which is probably the most popular regional sports network. I knew this going in though, I haven't watched the yanks as religiously as in years past any how. If it wasnt for Sirus/XM music channels on Dish i probably would have just went with Directv. I used to have Sat. radio and really enjoy it. Its nice getting it "for free" with my TV provider.

post #2513 of 2520 Old 09-07-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone else with an outdoor antenna having issues with NBC, channel 10? My signal strength is showing strong but it pixelates, breaks up the audio, and drives me bonkers. This has been going on for a while now. Channels 8, 13, 31, and all of the others come in perfectly.

I have a 4-bay antennas direct brand antenna on my roof pointed right to downtown rochester with nothing in the way. I just dont think its my setup.... it cant be. Every other channel, including FOX in freegin Syracuse comes in mint!

Im in churchville, BTW.

???????
post #2514 of 2520 Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 AM

Sounds like interference from something. Try unplugging all electronic devices in your house, hopefully it is not a close neighbor.
I once had an issue with 13, it would not come in at all while all the other stations were still solid. Turned out it was ice on my antenna.
So it possible there is something wrong with your antenna... perhaps a bad coax connector or a spider nest in bad spot. Visually check it.
Also a 4 bay antenna is not good at all for VHF.... though you are so close to the transmitter.
Channel 10 signal here on the other side of Lake Ontario is good.
post #2515 of 2520 Old 09-09-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiptydoer View Post
Sounds like interference from something. Try unplugging all electronic devices in your house, hopefully it is not a close neighbor.
I once had an issue with 13, it would not come in at all while all the other stations were still solid. Turned out it was ice on my antenna.
So it possible there is something wrong with your antenna... perhaps a bad coax connector or a spider nest in bad spot. Visually check it.
Also a 4 bay antenna is not good at all for VHF.... though you are so close to the transmitter.
Channel 10 signal here on the other side of Lake Ontario is good.
K - thanks. Ill have a look to see if there is something obvious going on.
post #2516 of 2520 Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

For the past couple of weeks i've been getting Encore West Channel 609 for free on my cable box. At first i thought Encore was doing a free preview but all of the other encore channels say i'm not subscribed to them. Is this only happening on my cable box or is it happening to everybody.
post #2517 of 2520 Old 09-19-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
For the past couple of weeks i've been getting Encore West Channel 609 for free on my cable box. At first i thought Encore was doing a free preview but all of the other encore channels say i'm not subscribed to them. Is this only happening on my cable box or is it happening to everybody.
I dont have cable anymore but from what i remember If you subscribed to the Digital Tier, Encore was included...as well as PLEX and Retro Plex

post #2518 of 2520 Old 09-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Encore is not a part of the digital tier. The only way to get encore is to subscribe to their movie pass tier. IndiePlex & RetroPlex is a part of the digital tier. Did somebody accidently move only one of the encore channels to the digital tier or is it some kind of mistake. If anybody with cable reads this are you receiving Encore West Ch. 609.
post #2519 of 2520 Old 10-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Has anybody noticed that time warner changed their recording icons yesterday so now you'll see a red dot next to the title of all your scheduled recordings. If your recording an entire series you'll see next to the title 1 red dot with two more sticking out from underneath it. I think Directv uses the same recording icons.
post #2520 of 2520 Old 10-16-2014, 05:23 AM

Liked: 39
Any issues with channel 31 OTA reception?

Is anyone else having issues with channel 31 reception? I have a large roof top & live in Leicester (near Letchworth park), I don't seem to have many problems with the other channels (8,10,13,&21) but have issues with 31 on and off.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page