2Likes
post #2521 of 2538 Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any Reception Issues with TWC?

For the past couple of nights from exactly 9:30 to 10:30 all of my cable boxes have been showing moving pixels on all channels & i was wondering if any other TWC customer has had the same problem. Thursday Night it only happened for 30 Minutes & forced me to re-record the show i was trying to watch later that night. Tonight it lasted a full hour & forced my dvr to stop recording 2 of my favorite shows which makes me very angry so i'm currently in a bad mood thanks to TW. I rebooted my cable boxes tonight when the pixels finally stopped & set my favorite shows to re-record later tonight hopefully with no pixels. I haven't called TW yet because i want to know first if i'm the only one having this problem or is anybody else having it as well. I would appreciate some responses on this issue so i know how to resolve this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2538 Old 10-31-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
For the past couple of nights from exactly 9:30 to 10:30 all of my cable boxes have been showing moving pixels on all channels & i was wondering if any other TWC customer has had the same problem. Thursday Night it only happened for 30 Minutes & forced me to re-record the show i was trying to watch later that night. Tonight it lasted a full hour & forced my dvr to stop recording 2 of my favorite shows which makes me very angry so i'm currently in a bad mood thanks to TW. I rebooted my cable boxes tonight when the pixels finally stopped & set my favorite shows to re-record later tonight hopefully with no pixels. I haven't called TW yet because i want to know first if i'm the only one having this problem or is anybody else having it as well. I would appreciate some responses on this issue so i know how to resolve this issue.
Don't know what you mean by "moving pixels". If you mean that the image is breaking up into blocks (often incorrectly called "pixelization") - then it may well be a TWC problem. But if the actual pixels are moving on the screen, it is more likely a problem with your TV.

If it is a TWC problem, it could be a local problem.

Dave Hancock
post #2523 of 2538 Old 11-02-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
Don't know what you mean by "moving pixels". If you mean that the image is breaking up into blocks (often incorrectly called "pixelization") - then it may well be a TWC problem. But if the actual pixels are moving on the screen, it is more likely a problem with your TV.

If it is a TWC problem, it could be a local problem.
Exactly what dave said...I used to have the "pixelation" issue as well..it was do to my signal being to low. But i dont have TW anymore

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #2524 of 2538 Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Yes i was referring to pixelation. I didn't know what it was called so i referred to it as moving pixels. Saturday & sunday night the pixelation never happened on any of my cable boxes so it may have been a local problem that's now fixed. If it ever happens again i'm calling twc & complaining.
post #2525 of 2538 Old 11-03-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was over at my dad's last night and he was having problems with channel 8, losing audio and breaking up repeatedly. I just figured it was weak signal, but got up and checked the connection from the wall to the box. The 8300 connection was just a little loose and the problem went away when I tightened it.
post #2526 of 2538 Old 11-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Is there anyway i can check the signal strength on my cable box so the next time i have a pixelation issue i can figure out where the problem is before i seek help from here or TW. I have an SA 8240HDC and a Cisco Digital Transport Adapter.
post #2527 of 2538 Old 11-04-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, there's a diagnostics page you can get to. Google around for it for your box. It was some odd combination of buttons on the 8300.
post #2528 of 2538 Old 11-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

According to my research the remote combination is the same as the 8300, push ok/select button until mail light starts blinking then hit up or down arrow. Both arrows bring up a different diagnostic screen. The screen that appears when i hit arrow up has all the tuner info including signal strength. Everything else is in the other diagnostic screen which is the down arrow.
post #2529 of 2538 Old 11-25-2014, 04:39 PM

Liked: 10
bad break-up during Bills Jets game

I live in Brighton, only 2 miles from the transmitters. I have an external antenna, perhaps 15 feet off the ground.

I was trying to watch the Bills / Jets game on channel 8, and was getting terrible break-up of the picture. Then, it would get rock solid for a bit, and then break up again.

Did anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
post #2530 of 2538 Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, but channel 8s reception is shaky for me as well. West gates
post #2531 of 2538 Old 12-11-2014, 11:55 AM

Thinking about installing a TV Antenna on the roof of my house...a tad bit angry right now because my dish network has a "complete signal loss" and its going to cost me 10 bucks to have a tech come out and most likely wipe snow off my dish...thats with the service i have on my monthly bill already in case something goes wrong with my dish...

So i pay 10 bucks for a tech to come out to wipe the snow off...and then we get another storm the next day and the same thing happens...i pay 10 bucks again? yea i'm a little pissed right now.

Anyways so does anyone know of a good TV antenna installer? Does anyone even do that anymore? I cant seem to find any installers in rochester.

post #2532 of 2538 Old 12-11-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post
...I was trying to watch the Bills / Jets game on channel 8, and was getting terrible break-up of the picture....
The NFL is the main reason I have an antenna... went HD when FOX was messing with its TW licensing, so I learned to make antennas, before the switch to ATSC for OTA broadcasts.

Which leads to my questions, what kind of antenna are you using outside? Any amps? What kind of feed lines?
How are the other Cobb's Hill stations? If all have issues, have you checked your feed lines?
Have you ever looked at your signal profile on TVFool.com?

I'm 7 miles from the transmitters, but in Bushnell's Basin, with the creek in the back yard, it's a 2-edge diffraction signal, and signal strength like line-of-sight at 35 miles. See below for my antenna. Both 8 and 31 come in fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post
Thinking about installing a TV Antenna on the roof of my house...
Outdoor antenna installations require special care, as they must be grounded properly, or a house fire from a lightening strike may not be covered by your insurance. Installation is a DIY project if you can stay indoors, like in an attic. You may need more antenna, but the benefits in peace of mind are substantial.

I built a clone of the ChannelMaster 4220 antenna, a 4-bay bowtie design, with reflector, now marketed as the Ultratenna 60. It's in the rafters of my garage, and I get all the major networks and a few of the "junk" channels. (I haven't looked at what comes in OTA lately...). This one's sibling is now hanging on my daughter's wall in Burlington VT, sans reflector, and giving her 18 channels (with subchannels).

Regardless, follow the TVFool link to see what your signal profile looks like, and decide from there.

Also be aware that there is such a thing as too much signal, resulting in "multipath" distortion (due to strong reflected signals, received out of phase) that can kill reception. Improved directional control, and rejection of off-axis signals, is one benefit of a reflector-based design, as is extension into the VHF frequency range (10 and 13 broadcast at VHF frequencies). The higher the gain, the better the directional control.

Have fun,
Frank
post #2533 of 2538 Old 12-11-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got a new tv and stuck the crappiest antenna I had on it to see how well a 2014 tuner would do. I live in a difficult area and have always had problems. To my surprise it picked up all the channels. You probably don't need much of an antenna in Gates to get Rochester, if you want Buffalo, you probably need a roof mounted directional antenna. I have had good luck with the Mohu style antennas.

It's an older version of this. The antenna arms are about 4"

http://www.meritline.com/mygica-a30-...--p-49650.aspx

Last edited by gregoryperkins; 12-11-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added link
post #2534 of 2538 Old 12-11-2014, 05:44 PM

thanks for the advice and ideas guys ...Frank i knew it had to be grounded if it was an outdoor antenna...but i didnt think much of "why" it had to be until i read your post about the house fire..etc. Kind of scary. Also as for the attic antenna..id love to put one in there but its a crawlspace attic and i do not believe id be able to fit in it at my current weight

Greg I used to have an antenna setup when i lived on the lake in North Greece..and i had actually built my own antenna that worked quite well...even though it was a bit harder to get reception out there..I was on a second floor condo unti..with the antenna in the furthest part of the condo on the lake side (in the sun room). I actually just fed the antenna into the time warner hookup with amplification. It was quite nice not having to pay for tv..Only thing that stunk tho was not being able to get all the channels at one time. Sometimes having to move the antenna slightly to get 8 instead of 13. Even tho id occasionally get a few buffalo locals at certain hours.

Anyways id imagine its much easier getting reception in gates..i might look into the antennas you guys suggested. The dish signal did eventually come back after about 2 hours but only after customer service hell with dish' "phone techs."

Here is the antenna i had built...i was so proud of that thing lol

Last edited by shibez; 12-11-2014 at 05:57 PM.
post #2535 of 2538 Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Thinking about installing a TV Antenna on the roof of my house...a tad bit angry right now because my dish network has a "complete signal loss" and its going to cost me 10 bucks to have a tech come out and most likely wipe snow off my dish...thats with the service i have on my monthly bill already in case something goes wrong with my dish...

So i pay 10 bucks for a tech to come out to wipe the snow off...and then we get another storm the next day and the same thing happens...i pay 10 bucks again? yea i'm a little pissed right now.
It's interesting that you're having snow buildup on your dish. I've been with DirecTV for about 10 years and have had ice or snow buildup only twice. (I know there are dish and satellite location differences between Dish and DirecTV which may account for some differences in snow/ice buildup.) In the ice case, the lack of signal resolved itself in under 10 hours. I just watched DVR'd shows, my antenna and my Roku and Apple TV devices to fill the gap. The snow case was due to blowing snow aimed right at the front of the dish making it stick. I have a roof snow 'shovel' with about 20' - 25' of handle that allowed me to clean the dish sufficiently from the ground to eliminate the issue.

My antenna is a Channel Master 4221 with a 7777 Channel Master Pre-Amp. I live in Hilton and I mounted the antenna in the rafters of my garage to keep it inside. I get strong signals all year from all of the Rochester stations and their subs. The most difficult part of this (although not very difficult) was running the cables from the antenna through the pre-amp and a splitter and on to the two TV locations.. One of my DVR's is antenna capable so I connected the antenna there. This allows me to even record OTA shows to the DVR. The other TV has a DVR that isn't able to handle an OTA antenna so I connected that one directly to the TV. This antenna/pre-amp setup allows access during the few times satellite signal degradation occurs and it has worked very well.

Good luck!

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

Last edited by lflorack; Yesterday at 07:42 AM.
post #2536 of 2538 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
...Frank i knew it had to be grounded if it was an outdoor antenna...
Here is the antenna i had built...
What I found scary about grounding was the several version of "the right way" I found in my research...

That's the same antenna linked in post #1 of the How-to... thread. It's a fine design, but too small for today's broadcast spectrum... peak gain is at 899 MHz, ch. 85, which is gone with the digital transition and sale of 700MHz bands. I stretched everything to 1.125-times the dimensions of the 4221, driving peak gain lower, to 699MHz, then added an oversized reflector, to enhance VHF reception. There's nothing wrong with that design that a 9" wisker length and separation couldn't cure, especially now that 10 and 13 are back at their original VHF frequencies (they were ch. 58 and 59 when I was experimenting with antenna sizes).

Have fun,
Frank
post #2537 of 2538 Unread Yesterday, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
It's interesting that you're having snow buildup on your dish. I've been with DirecTV for about 10 years and have had ice or snow buildup only twice. (I know there are dish and satellite location differences between Dish and DirecTV which may account for some differences in snow/ice buildup.) In the ice case, the lack of signal resolved itself in under 10 hours. I just watched DVR'd shows, my antenna and my Roku and Apple TV devices to fill the gap. The snow case was due to blowing snow aimed right at the front of the dish making it stick. I have a roof snow 'shovel' with about 20' - 25' of handle that allowed me to clean the dish sufficiently from the ground to eliminate the issue.
Yeah i should have never put the dish on my roof to begin with..when i had direct in 2003 i had the dish in my back yard on a pole. so that way if there was any build-up i could easily wipe it off...even though i never had any issues with snow build-up then. I figured it would be the same thing for dish so i didn't think twice when the installer said he would put it on my roof...boy was i wrong. here i am day 2 and most of the channels do not work. And let me tell you dish networks customer service is HORRIBLE.

post #2538 of 2538 Unread Today, 07:21 AM

Update to my Dish Issue..

So After customer service hell on thursday..they had set me up for a tech appointment and waived the 10 dollar fee (after a lot of yelling on my part) and the earliest they could get me in was saturday (today) at 8am.

He was just supposed to come to wipe snow off of it but i asked him if he could just take the dish down and do a pole mount in my yard...and he said that it wouldn't be a problem..Now heres the best part. I asked him how much it would cost..and he said no charge... i was very much anticipating him to say at least 150bucks like it cost me back in 2003 for direc to do it...this made me like dish again .
Now if there is any snow build up i can easily wipe it myself.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page