Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 87 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
post #2581 of 2602 Old 04-14-2015, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post
Yea i got hit with offers from Frontier Last summer. about 3 in 1 month. a guy actually came knocking on my door...put flyer's in my mail box..etc. Advertising their new "ultra super lightning fast DSL" or some nonsense. Of course when i called them up they didn't offer the 50mbp in my area...highest speed they could give me was like 5mbp. I laughed and politely said no thank you...

The sales rep couldn't understand why i didn't want their great promo. They are clueless over there at frontier.
I agree shibez. They are clueless over there at Frontier. I get mail twice a month from them asking me to sign up. Surely they can't think that all of us are that stupid ? Wave a guaranteed faster speed at me such at 24/3 service and I could be tempted depending on who my TV service provider is at the time. If I find myself switching to DirecTV at some point, I would then switch my internet service to Earthlink more than likely. $16 less a month than what TW offers for stand alone internet on the 15/1 or 20/2 speed levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2602 Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any recommendations for antenna installers? Thanks!
post #2583 of 2602 Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You in Rochester? Your location says Silicon Valley.
post #2584 of 2602 Old 04-22-2015, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Where is the Weather Channel on TW basic?

Everybody,

I have cut the cord, and am using an OTA antenna for my normal viewing. I have a Channel Master DVR+ as my DVR, and all is well.

I still have TW basic for another HDTV. When I scan the cable, I have found the locals in HD, plus a few other channels, including CNN HD on channel 12-1. Can someone please tell me where The Weather Channel is?

Thank you in advance,
Ron
post #2585 of 2602 Old 04-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You can't get the weather channel with basic cable, it requires a standard cable subscription. The only reason why your getting CNN is because tw forgot to encrypt it in your area. If you only need the weather channel for the local forecast you can get that from TWC News which is a part of basic cable. In batavia the channel number is 14 but in rochester i think it's on channel 9.
post #2586 of 2602 Old 04-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Breaking News

I just found this report posted on facebook that says comcast abandoned there plans to merge with Time Warner Cable. Here's a link to the story http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/23/84...e-warner-cable
post #2587 of 2602 Old 04-27-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
You in Rochester? Your location says Silicon Valley.
Looking for Rochester area installers
post #2588 of 2602 Old 04-28-2015, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Where are you located? You may not need an outdoor antenna. We used an amped mohu out in Leroy. It gets Rochester, but not Buffalo.
post #2589 of 2602 Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmovies View Post
A guitar player returns home to make amends with her family.

Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Links: System Diagram / System Pix
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A2010, CDC-685, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo: BDP-93
Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku3, Amazon: FireTV Stick, Roomie: Roomie Remote
ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS, CinemaQuest: Ideal-Lume Std
See links for system details.
post #2590 of 2602 Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
I just found this report posted on facebook that says comcast abandoned there plans to merge with Time Warner Cable. Here's a link to the story http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/23/84...e-warner-cable
I smiled when i heard that on the news.

Now we just need some one to step up and be the savior of the Rochester Region Internet and give TW some REAL competition. Waits Patiently...

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #2591 of 2602 Old 04-30-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post
Now we just need some one to step up and be the savior of the Rochester Region Internet and give TW some REAL competition. Waits Patiently...
In batavia that'a already happening. Empire Access recently finished building there fios network & is already selling there 100MBPS internet & home phone service. That's there lowest speed & i think the price is the same or cheaper than TW's Standard Internet Package which i believe gives you a download speed of 15 MBPS. Once they get final approval from the city they can start offering there TV Service which is what i'm waiting for before i decide to leave TW.
shibez likes this.
post #2592 of 2602 Old 05-01-2015, 05:50 AM

TWC better get moving

Quote:
In batavia that'a already happening. Empire Access recently finished building there fios network & is already selling there 100MBPS internet & home phone service. That's there lowest speed & i think the price is the same or cheaper than TW's Standard Internet Package which i believe gives you a download speed of 15 MBPS. Once they get final approval from the city they can start offering there TV Service which is what i'm waiting for before i decide to leave TW.
With Cable TV already dying a predictable death due to cord-cutters moving to OTA and multiple, more-than-competitive streaming and hardware options, it would be in the TWC's best interest to get moving on being cost and speed level competitive for their internet service.

post #2593 of 2602 Old 05-01-2015, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Jeez. Batavia gets better roll out than Rochester?

Greenlight Networks has been building out at a snails pace. If you don't live in a select neighborhood, it's been largely vaporware.

Until there is a serious competitor to TWC, I do not see them lowering prices for most of WNY.
post #2594 of 2602 Old 05-01-2015, 03:41 PM

TWC Cable Speed

Talking to a friend at dinner the other night; he had some insight that Rochester TWC will be increasing speed again this summer - the periodic updates that they do every couple of years. He indicated it would be enough that I should not be calling now to increase my RR speed tier. I know his source and it is very reliable.
post #2595 of 2602 Old 05-01-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post
Talking to a friend at dinner the other night; he had some insight that Rochester TWC will be increasing speed again this summer - the periodic updates that they do every couple of years. He indicated it would be enough that I should not be calling now to increase my RR speed tier. I know his source and it is very reliable.

I wonder what that might mean for people already above rather standard speeds (I'm at 30/5). Interesting.

post #2596 of 2602 Old 05-01-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I wonder what that might mean for people already above rather standard speeds (I'm at 30/5). Interesting.

That's a great question Lee; I was not able to glean any additional infomration
post #2597 of 2602 Old 05-07-2015, 01:10 PM

DVR changes at TWC

I know that for many of you, this will be too little too late, but TWC has a new DVR option. The DVR (increase cost of $3 per month) has 6 HD tuners and 1 terabyte of storage. The interface, which is slightly different than the one on my SA8300, has much better series record options and a much nicer 16x9 menu display.
post #2598 of 2602 Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post
I know that for many of you, this will be too little too late, but TWC has a new DVR option. The DVR (increase cost of $3 per month) has 6 HD tuners and 1 terabyte of storage. The interface, which is slightly different than the one on my SA8300, has much better series record options and a much nicer 16x9 menu display.
Larry,

The same basic DVR is used by TWC, FiOS and Comcast. The software is different on each. The box itself is made by Airris. Most applications are in a client/server setup, where the client always accesses the server (the client has no tuners). I haven't seen the TWC version, but am familiar with the FiOS version (which I have) and the Comcast version (Xfinity X1), which my son-in-law has. The Xfinity Set-up limits recording to 4 programs to keep the other two tuners available for "live" viewing on the host TV and one slave. Also, Comcast has an entirely different approach to the interface (integrates On Demand and DVR menus to be an "Entertainment Server".

BTW, I went with FiOS when I moved to Hamburg because TWC didn't seem to be interested in competing for my business (I have both available). I have been keeping up with this thread as I may well switch to TWC this July when my "deal" is up. One thing for sure, I will go with the TW version of this Arris box if I switch.

Dave Hancock
post #2599 of 2602 Old 05-07-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

A Tivo will eventually pay for itself with the hardware rental they charge and you can do so much more, with the exception of on-demand...

I got rid of my 8300 last year and have been very happy. I nearly cut the cord, but I'm too much of a sports junkie.
post #2600 of 2602 Old 05-07-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
Larry,

The same basic DVR is used by TWC, FiOS and Comcast. The software is different on each. The box itself is made by Airris. Most applications are in a client/server setup, where the client always accesses the server (the client has no tuners). I haven't seen the TWC version, but am familiar with the FiOS version (which I have) and the Comcast version (Xfinity X1), which my son-in-law has. The Xfinity Set-up limits recording to 4 programs to keep the other two tuners available for "live" viewing on the host TV and one slave. Also, Comcast has an entirely different approach to the interface (integrates On Demand and DVR menus to be an "Entertainment Server".

BTW, I went with FiOS when I moved to Hamburg because TWC didn't seem to be interested in competing for my business (I have both available). I have been keeping up with this thread as I may well switch to TWC this July when my "deal" is up. One thing for sure, I will go with the TW version of this Arris box if I switch.
Dave, you are correct, as usual. It is the Airris box. When I went to pick it up, they handed me the box and said that they also decreased my monthly bill by $30 and upgraded my broadband to 30 Mbps. I did not go in to complain about the price today ( I was waiting until I had some numbers from the sat companies to make my usual phone call, but they were very forthcoming and easy to deal with. I checked the sign as I left and it still said Time Warner Cable
post #2601 of 2602 Old 05-07-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
A Tivo will eventually pay for itself with the hardware rental they charge and you can do so much more, with the exception of on-demand...

I got rid of my 8300 last year and have been very happy. I nearly cut the cord, but I'm too much of a sports junkie.
I also hated the 8300, but it was the only box that TWC had that still supported the Esata external drive from Apricon (sp?)
post #2602 of 2602 Unread Today, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yep Enhanced DVR was released in WNY about a month ago. Currently it’s just the Arris DCX3600M, the Cisco Explorer 9865HDC and a Samsung model, who’s model number escapes me at the moment will be coming to the area eventually, sooner than later from what I understand, but no ETA. I’ve had the 3600M since a few days after it was released here and I love it! It is lightning fast! What was interesting is when I first plugged the DVR in, all it had on it was the Arris/Motorola factory firmware. I had to wait for ODN Navigator to download and install. After the download and install was complete, my channel banner/info banner was at the top of the screen instead of the bottom, then the box rebooted again and it was back on the bottom where it normally is. The first Wednesday I had it, it got quite the work out at 10PM. Recorded Broadchurch, The American’s, The Ultimate Fighter, Shipping Wars and CSI:Cyber at the same time all while channel surfing random baseball games. The thing didn’t even flinch.

Two things to note:

1) You cannot do whole house DVR with multiple DVRs with Enhanced DVR. You can get a single tuner non DVR or what they call a ‘playback box’ and I believe that works, so you can view recorded content on a second or third TV, but you can’t record anything. It is highly recommended that if you go that route get boxes from the same manufacture. I’m not too familiar with Moto cable boxes but the DCX3200 P2 I’m thinking would be the one needed. In a Cisco environment, the 4642 or 4742 should work fine. This is kind of a bummer. I really have no need for WH DVR anymore, but I would rather have it then not have it. Since Whole House DVR with two WH DVRs are included in Signature Home, I had to be taken off of Signature Home to get Enhanced DVR due to billing code reasons. But I am now paying about $60 less for all of the same stuff as I was with Signature Home

2) If you have an A/V receiver, this box breaks ARC and CEC for all devices. Just by having it plugged in to an HDMI input on an A/V receiver will wreak havoc. I always preferred switching stuff manually, so it’s not a big deal to me. The biggest thing I miss is when playing media from my phone or tablet having the TV and A/V receiver sync up automatically.

I turned in the Cisco 8642 so I’m now running the Cisco 8742 and Arris 3600. The front display on my Cisco DVR is starting to die. The power indicator and when I still had it, the Whole House indicator LEDs were completely dead and the time/channel display is lighter then what it used to be. When it completely goes I’m going to see if I can get my hands on an Arris DCX3510-M two tuner DVR to replace it, so that way I will be already incase WH DVR is ever supported. Another side note, my Arris DVR got the two week guide 4 or 5 days before the Cisco DVR did.

Interesting about the internet speeds. Rochester isn't on the list for Maxx, and typically the only thing Time Warner has been doing in non Maxx markets, or as a precursor to Maxx has been increasing Ultimate from 50Mb to 100Mb.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.3.0_29
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0972, HR24-200 Running 0802
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page