Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #2731 of 2760 Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Well Netflix closed its local office at the end of November. All my discs are coming from Columbus now, taking twice as long. I used to be able to get about 12 discs a month, but it will probably be down to 8. I'll probably end up canceling, but now that I have Atmos! How long will it take the streaming services to send out better audio?

That's not good. I watch my share of streamed Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. stuff on my (3) Rokus and my Apple TV but when I want to watch something seriously, I continue to use BluRay because the video and audio quality are so much better. Although the video gap has been closing, the audio quality while streaming is severely lacking for the most part -when compared to the codecs available on BluRay disks. For me, audio quality and capability are at least as important as video quality. So, in spite of the longer time for Netflix discs to arrive, I'll continue using them.

Link: System Pix
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A2010, CDC-685, Oppo: BDP-93, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, SimpleControl: IP Remote, Logitech: Harmony One
ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS

Last edited by lflorack; 12-12-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2760 Old 12-10-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm all about the audio too lflorack. I think you can have a half ass movie become pretty enjoyable with GOOD sound......lol
lflorack likes this.
post #2733 of 2760 Old 12-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I agree that the sound does help make the movie more enjoyable which is why i prefer to rent movies on blu-ray. Plus i like renting the new release movies and netflix doesn't have the new release movies on there streaming service. The last time i rented a movie from my cable box i thought i was getting surround sound but time warner gave me stereo sound. I had to rent it a second time from redbox just to figure that out. I'm never renting from my cable box ever again.
lflorack likes this.

post #2734 of 2760 Old 12-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

After a number of months getting it set up, my home theater is almost completely done (although that probably never actually happens ). It's audio/visually complete, but we just need to rug-wrap the 2nd row seat riser and add some LED riser edge lights to prevent tripping in the dark. A link to the floorplan (also attached) and some pictures of the Theater and Equipment Room - along with the equipment details of the theater room are in my signature below. I haven't completed my wiring diagram yet but whenever that happens, I'll post it in the same place/link. The equipment room also holds the A/V equipment for the other two TVs in my living room and activity area.

Although I've purchased the components for and set up my previous systems by myself, this was my first with a screen and projector - which I'm much less familiar with than previous TV's. So, I chose Corey DeRue (Rochester Home Theater - http://www.RochesterHomeTheater.com) to handle the pre-wiring for the speakers and feeds to/from the equipment room - done as the house was being built. He also selected, bought and installed the speaker and IR wiring, conduits, screen, projector, projector and center 'mounts', built the risers for the second row seating, etc. Excellent to work with and very accommodating. I also had Dave Hancock (member here) to work his magic on my projector and do an ISF calibration. As always, superior work and excellent results.

Please let me know what you think. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	161029 - Home Theater Layout.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1824825  

Last edited by lflorack; 12-12-2016 at 09:09 AM.
post #2735 of 2760 Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Lee, Have your wife remove the sweaters and coats from the closet along with the luggage - it destroys the closet ambiance

PERFECT!

Please send the address, I am now done with the AMC Loews Webster movie theater, I will be frequenting your abode.

Great job.
Larry
davehancock and lflorack like this.
post #2736 of 2760 Old 12-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post
Lee, Have your wife remove the sweaters and coats from the closet along with the luggage - it destroys the closet ambiance

PERFECT!

Please send the address, I am now done with the AMC Loews Webster movie theater, I will be frequenting your abode.

Great job.
Larry
Hahaha! Good one Larry.

Thank you for the kind words.

The theater chairs do recline and I'd say that the Video and Audio quality easily rival your 'former' movie house! Also, the decision to have that closet (it's in the guest bedroom behind the Theater Room Screen) act as the equipment room for the theater and the other two TV's in the house, was made fairly late during home construction. It was actually suggested by one of the electricians as he was wiring the electric outlets and I immediately agreed. Due to the layout, the closet was huge and actually too big to just be a guest closet - but perfectly located and sized to also act as the equipment closet.

Lee

Last edited by lflorack; 12-12-2016 at 11:31 AM.
post #2737 of 2760 Old 01-31-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dave Hancock. I sent you a pm about calibration.

Thanks

ClickCardo
post #2738 of 2760 Old 02-02-2017, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Who calibrates colorimeters or spectroscopy in Rochester?

I have an x-rite i1 Display Pro (colorimeter) and Colormunki Photo (spectro). I used each one and took measurements of my display, and of course, got different results, neither of which are necessarily accurate.

Does anyone know of someone who can help me get my meter(s) calibrated, or at a minimum, build a compatibility matrix so I can generate accurate readings?

Thank you in advance...be well
Ron
post #2739 of 2760 Old 02-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post
I have an x-rite i1 Display Pro (colorimeter) and Colormunki Photo (spectro). I used each one and took measurements of my display, and of course, got different results, neither of which are necessarily accurate.

Does anyone know of someone who can help me get my meter(s) calibrated, or at a minimum, build a compatibility matrix so I can generate accurate readings?

Thank you in advance...be well
Ron
The title of my previous post should be 'who calibrates colorimeters or spectro's in Rochester?'

Sorry for the error - I hate auto correct...
Ron
post #2740 of 2760 Old 02-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Time Warner Channels Pixelation Issue

Hello, Yesterday around 10AM i noticed analog cable channels 17(WPXJ), 21(TLC) & 22(Weather Channel) were pixelating really bad on my bedroom tv but all of the other analog & clear qam channels were working normally. I have a cable box on my living room tv which is receiving channels 17, 21 & 22 normally so the pixelation issue is only affecting tv's that don't have a cable box. I was able to confirm the problem was not being caused by my tv by moving the cable wire from the bedroom tv to an old vcr that still works and the affected channels were still pixelating. I also checked the analog channels in the living room by temporarily moving the cable from my cable box to the back of the tv and just like my bedroom tv analog channels 17 21 & 22 were pixelating.

As of this moment only the analog version of the channels i already mentioned are pixelating so i'm assuming the cause of the problem is somewhere at time warner's end but i would like to make sure i'm not the only one with this annoying issue before i call them. The last time i had to call time warner there crappy customer service told me our area doesn't have analog service anymore which is not true. When i told them our area still has analog service they didn't believe me.

If anybody else is having this issue or can help me resolve this issue please let me know.
post #2741 of 2760 Old 02-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to update you on my pixelation issue. I called my sister and a neighbor who told me there tv's that don't have a cable box are having the same reception issue on ch's 17, 21 & 22. I just remembered that saturday morning when i discovered the pixelating analog channels i also discovered that the clear qam channels on RF 18 were all no signal so i did a channel scan and noticed they were moved to RF 19 and 20. I suspect that this change to the qam channels may somehow be causing the pixelation issue on ch's 17, 21 & 22. Since i can't confirm or deny this theory i'll have to wait for Time Warner to notice this problem and fix it unless i wanna deal with there customer support, which i don't feel like doing right now.
post #2742 of 2760 Old 02-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
Just wanted to update you on my pixelation issue. I called my sister and a neighbor who told me there tv's that don't have a cable box are having the same reception issue on ch's 17, 21 & 22. I just remembered that saturday morning when i discovered the pixelating analog channels i also discovered that the clear qam channels on RF 18 were all no signal so i did a channel scan and noticed they were moved to RF 19 and 20. I suspect that this change to the qam channels may somehow be causing the pixelation issue on ch's 17, 21 & 22. Since i can't confirm or deny this theory i'll have to wait for Time Warner to notice this problem and fix it unless i wanna deal with there customer support, which i don't feel like doing right now.
Are you using the TWC digital adapter on this tv? I believe that there is a current special, where the digital adapter is free for 12 or 18 months. The regular cost, in the Rochester TWC market, is $2.30 per month and actually includes a fair number of stations (much improved over the digital adapter from two or three years ago. The adapter now includes most of the Standard Tier listing ( not the Starter which I believe was the limitations on the old adapter)
post #2743 of 2760 Old 02-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post
Are you using the TWC digital adapter on this tv? I believe that there is a current special, where the digital adapter is free for 12 or 18 months. The regular cost, in the Rochester TWC market, is $2.30 per month and actually includes a fair number of stations (much improved over the digital adapter from two or three years ago. The adapter now includes most of the Standard Tier listing ( not the Starter which I believe was the limitations on the old adapter)
No i'm not using a digital adapter on my bedroom tv but the laundry mat i normally go to has one and it has more channels than analog so if i can get one for free i may try it.

Last night when i was getting ready for bed i noticed the annoying pixelation on the analog channels finally stopped. I'm not sure what caused the problem but i'm glad it's fixed.
post #2744 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rochester NY Antenna question

Hello. I have recently hooked up old directional attic antenna to receive local hd broadcast. Went to antenna web to point the antenna in the right direction. On one tv, i get all 18 local channels with strong signal. On another tv, I get 15. I don't get the 3 nbc offering, but the 15 channels come in beautifully with very strong signal. It's bizarre.
I am using an amplifier. Any help would be really appreciated

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4e388a0cf18

Last edited by DrDon; Yesterday at 12:45 PM.
post #2745 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Please go to tvfool.com to get the link to your TV Fool report and then PM Dr. Don so he can add it to your first post. We need to see that in order to better help you.
post #2746 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 1741
Link added to first post.

There's a lot of other information we might need, all of which is spelled out in the sticky thread: NOTE: Put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL antenna threads & TVFOOL info in 1st post

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #2747 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 182
And estimate for various Coax Cable Lengths...and anything else that may be different between TV Drops, incl model and mfr year for each TV.
post #2748 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
And estimate for various Coax Cable Lengths...and anything else that may be different between TV Drops, incl model and mfr year for each TV.
I will try try and provide that information tonight after work. The bizarre thing is this. The ONE channel I am not receiving ,on the ONE TV but not the other, is the channel with the STRONGEST signal based on tv fool report. BIZARRE
post #2749 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone70 View Post
BIZARRE
Not really. The strongest signal can also be the one with the strongest reflection off of something.

post #2750 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Not really. The strongest signal can also be the one with the strongest reflection off of something.
Yup generally followed by the phrase "attic install"...
DrDon likes this.
post #2751 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
bizarre to me when the channel in question comes in on the tv with 50' longer drop than tv it does NOT come in on. And the other 15 channels come in on both tv's really well.
post #2752 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
bizarre to me when the channel in question comes in on the tv with 50' longer drop than tv it does NOT come in on. And the other 15 channels come in on both tv's really well.
That's actually not surprising, at all.

Have you swapped the TVs to see if the issue stays in the room or follows the TV?

We'll wait until you have that and all the other info. Otherwise, we're guessing.

Last edited by DrDon; Yesterday at 04:37 PM.
post #2753 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
That is often a symptom of overload. What amplifier are you using, and where is it located?

Quote:
Went to antenna web to point the antenna in the right direction.
what direction did you choose?

Quote:
I have recently hooked up old directional attic antenna
Tell us more about the antenna; a picture would help.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; Yesterday at 04:30 PM.
post #2754 of 2760 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One look at your TV Fool report and I can tell you that an attic antenna is not going to be good enough. All your stations are 2 edge, behind a significant hill and not all that strong. You need a good VHF/UHF outdoor antenna with a preamp. Is this something you're willing to do?
post #2755 of 2760 Old Today, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
One look at your TV Fool report and I can tell you that an attic antenna is not going to be good enough. All your stations are 2 edge, behind a significant hill and not all that strong. You need a good VHF/UHF outdoor antenna with a preamp. Is this something you're willing to do?
yes i certainly am. Perhaps I will use the mast of the directv i just cancelled and the coax from the satellite that run to the tvs already. thanks for your help
post #2756 of 2760 Old Today, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Threads merged.

post #2757 of 2760 Old Today, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yes i certainly am. Perhaps I will use the mast of the directv i just cancelled and the coax from the satellite that run to the tvs already. thanks for your help

Looking at just your top five stations, two of them are on high VHF. I'd suggest at least a Winegard HD7694P as a minimum and a HD7698P would be better. A preamp might be helpful. The inexpensive RCA TVPRAMP1R is probably good enough.

You should run your FM Fool report and post the image here so we can see if you have any very strong FM stations that might interfere with your VHF stations.

You might be able to use your existing mast if it allows a clear shot to your stations. They should not be blocked by buildings and hopefully not too many trees.
post #2758 of 2760 Old Today, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 246
dbone70;
What town are you in? It looks like you are 20+ miles from the city of Rochester according to the link DrDon provided.

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.

Last edited by videobruce; Today at 08:04 AM.
post #2759 of 2760 Old Today, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 149
TV Tuners vary a lot too. Old ones suck compared to the new ones. My LG ~2 years old will get all the channels with the crappiest of antennas. I used to have a lot of problems despite being only 3 miles from Pinnacle hill. I suspect that 590 is/was the cause or maybe the cell tower in McEvoy park...
post #2760 of 2760 Old Today, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 246
New isn't always better. New also introduces cost cutting.

Perfect example are those TiVo DVR's. Models from the series 4 on are worse than the older series 3 (multipath issues). I have read those Roamio's are as bad or worse.
I picked up a older Sharp built Insignia TV and found that tuner is better than a newer (actual) Sharp branded set.

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception