Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #2791 of 2815 Old 03-19-2017, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
You should look into Greenlight internet and see if it's available where you live. I've heard there internet is all fiber just like empire access and there website says you can get 100mbps down and 20mbps up for $50 a month. That's a better deal than time warner now spectrum.
It's been a slow go here to try to get them to build infrastructure in my town. I have been waiting 2 and a half years so far. The way they pick the next town in Rochester to build in, is by the amount of people who sign up in that area to say they would be interested in it. I have been trying to get people to sign up on the NextDoor App...I got a bunch but still not enough i think. Also i just recently found out that just because they have finished building their network in a town...it doesnt mean that entire town has GreenLight. Apparently It just means they connected a neighborhood or 3 in that town. So I have given up hope on green light. At this rate it will be a decade before i see Greenlight in my neighborhood.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2815 Old 03-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post
It's been a slow go here to try to get them to build infrastructure in my town. I have been waiting 2 and a half years so far. The way they pick the next town in Rochester to build in, is by the amount of people who sign up in that area to say they would be interested in it. I have been trying to get people to sign up on the NextDoor App...I got a bunch but still not enough i think. Also i just recently found out that just because they have finished building their network in a town...it doesnt mean that entire town has GreenLight. Apparently It just means they connected a neighborhood or 3 in that town. So I have given up hope on green light. At this rate it will be a decade before i see Greenlight in my neighborhood.
To me it sounds like greenlight may never end up in your neighborhood which sucks for people who want something better than time warner. If another fiber based internet provider showed up in rochester that would probably get greenlight to build more infrastructure alot faster. But i doubt that will happen.
post #2793 of 2815 Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Spectrum DVR - LESS Storage and tuners

I looked into the pricing on-line of moving my TWC account to Spectrum. I noticed to huge negatives

1. The Spectrum DVR has two tuners and 30 GB storage - my TWC enhanced has I believe 6 tuners and about 100GB (feel free to correct me if my numners are not accurate)
2. Spectrum does not use digital adapters OR analogue signal - you need a cable box for each TV

post #2794 of 2815 Old 03-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post
I looked into the pricing on-line of moving my TWC account to Spectrum. I noticed to huge negatives

1. The Spectrum DVR has two tuners and 30 GB storage - my TWC enhanced has I believe 6 tuners and about 100GB (feel free to correct me if my numners are not accurate)
2. Spectrum does not use digital adapters OR analogue signal - you need a cable box for each TV
All good reasons for me to leave time warner cable. Also if spectrum doesn't plan on using digital adapters or analog signals the only alternative to an expensive cable box is there spectrum tv aka twc tv app which i know can be found in the roku app store.
post #2795 of 2815 Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
All good reasons for me to leave time warner cable. Also if spectrum doesn't plan on using digital adapters or analog signals the only alternative to an expensive cable box is there spectrum tv aka twc tv app which i know can be found in the roku app store.
My understanding is that there is no need to leave TWC for Spectrum; if you currently have TWC, you can continue it.

The Spectrum app replaced the TWC app on my Roku tv and it works just the way it always did - using the same login credentials
post #2796 of 2815 Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by namragus82 View Post
Is anyone in the Rochester area having new issues with OTA reception?  I live in Penfield and had a nice set up for an indoor antenna that worked perfectly when place in the North West corner of my house but now all of a sudden the signals are shooting up and down and I am losing reception off and on.  

I have tried connecting the antenna directly to the TV and the signal is weaker and still is shooting up and down.  
Does it happen more on windy/breezy days? And especially channels like CBS and Fox Rochester, which are upper UHF frequencies?
post #2797 of 2815 Old 03-22-2017, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone70 View Post
Hello. I have recently hooked up old directional attic antenna to receive local hd broadcast. Went to antenna web to point the antenna in the right direction. On one tv, i get all 18 local channels with strong signal. On another tv, I get 15. I don't get the 3 nbc offering, but the 15 channels come in beautifully with very strong signal. It's bizarre.
I am using an amplifier. Any help would be really appreciated

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4e388a0cf18
Your antenna probably is weaker gain on the bottom end of UHF spectrum, which is where NBC is. Your one TV that picks it up fine may just do a better job with a weak signal. It would be interesting to check the signal strength of NBC on both TVs. Also, you could try swapping the TVs to see if the issue follows the TV.
post #2798 of 2815 Old 03-23-2017, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbratch View Post
Does it happen more on windy/breezy days? And especially channels like CBS and Fox Rochester, which are upper UHF frequencies?
I still utilize both TWC & OTA (TiVo) g I have problems in both configurations with 13Wham macro-blocking, pixilating & audio problems. Did an experiment where I DVR'd both sources during the same program and problem was visible in both cases. Only common among sources was TV and HDMI cable. I'm betting 13wham is not outputting a signal which is high quality so is prone to issues.
post #2799 of 2815 Old 04-06-2017, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
yea i power cycled multiple times with old modem, it wasnt giving the new speeds until i swapped out the modems.
What's the difference between the old modem and new modem?
post #2800 of 2815 Old 04-08-2017, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all, long time no see.

I had Time Warner 30/5 internet on a promo deal for $50 a month. I also for various reasons was using their modem for $10 a month. So $60. Then I was paying a bill that I was told would not get as high as it did for DirecTV of $126 a month. So... $186 a month for internet and TV. And when I say TV, I mean no premium channels at all. Just two boxes for two TV's and under contract until December.

So, a decision was made to explore what Spectrum had to offer. I visited the Spectrum store here in Webster and after careful consideration, I subscribed to a package deal that gives me 60/5 (testing at 70 to 71/6) internet, their modem (that I already had) for free since there are no more modem charges, 175 channel (Silver level) TV with one DVR that does record 6 shows at a time and a standard cable box for the second TV, and phone service (which we will never use since we are in a very nice cell plan). My total is $129 a month with tax for a year. I was told that in year two that the price would go up around $30 (I expect more due to the usual cable price increases that take place). What is nice ? The 175 channel Silver level deal includes all of the HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime channels. Those channels are part of the service with no extra charges for them...ever. The Gold level includes Starz and more channels that we will never watch.

My bottom line price beats what I was paying by almost $60 a month and I am extremely happy with the service here from Spectrum. They are also paying a $80 cancel penalty for my DirecTV.

Oh, my $10 deposit for Greenlight Networks service was paid in July, 2015 and my neighborhood is slowly climbing up the list of areas that are slated to get that service.

So, one more time. The Spectrum DVR that I have records 6 shows. the modem is a 16 X 4 channel modem. My internet flies. I would like more upload speed, but until Greenlight fiber is in my home, Spectrum 60/5 is the best that it is going to be for a while. By the way, I was told that eventually 60/5 will be 100/10 and the current 100/10 service will become 300/20 in this area due to the approval of the merger requirements that NY State set forth.
shibez likes this.
post #2801 of 2815 Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
By the way, I was told that eventually 60/5 will be 100/10 and the current 100/10 service will become 300/20 in this area due to the approval of the merger requirements that NY State set forth.
I find it hard to believe that spectrum can eventually offer speeds of 100 or higher because when i signed up for empire access i was told that empire can easily give me speeds of 100/20 because there network is all fiber and as long as spectrum is using a coaxial cable network they won't be able to give there customers speeds of 100 or greater. Unless spectrum decides to build a fiber network which would be expensive to do you'll never see their promised speeds of 100/10 or 300/20.
post #2802 of 2815 Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 AM

Oh, but they are offering 100/10 here already. You have to call or stop by a local store and ask for it. It is not advertised. And there is a $199 activation fee in order to get it. $104.99 retail price per month. 60/5 is $64.99 a month. New customers get that for $44.99 a month for a year. I am talking for stand alone internet service.

Elsewhere around the country, 300/20 was and is being offered in former Time Warner markets not served by fiber. Also 200/20. this includes markets out in California, Texas, NY and others. A lot of infrastructure improvements were being made locally in preparation for the Time Warner Maxx upgrades before the merger took place and Charter put a freeze on everything. Nodes were being upgraded locally. They **Must** offer 300 Mbps download in the whole state by 2019 I do believe. 300 is indeed available in part (if not all) of the NY City area. 100/10 is the standard speed there. Also I believe that a portion of the Syracuse area has 300 Mbps service from what is now Spectrum.
post #2803 of 2815 Old 04-09-2017, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Why would spectrum be required to offer 300mbps download speed by 2019? I'm assuming the government made it part of the merger deal. My brother may be interested in the 100/10 internet if it is available at his address. I don't think he can afford to pay an activation fee so he'll probably replace his current 50mbps time warner plan with the new 60/5 plan until empire access becomes available where he lives since they offer 100/20 for $55 a month and that's the full retail price...not a promo. It also includes a free modem and free wi-fi.
post #2804 of 2815 Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 AM

What is Empire Access ?

60/5 for me is consistently delivering 70/6 speeds for me at all hours of the day. 60/5 and 100/10 is now available in all areas that do not have the even higher speeds.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...eds_lower.html
post #2805 of 2815 Old 04-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Empire access is similar to greenlight networks but they offer everything time warner has including tv. Right now there offering there double and triple play packages for $65 a month for 6 months. There retail prices are slightly cheaper than spectrum and at least here in batavia empire access is becoming very popular, more popular than time warner cable/spectrum.

I'll admit spectrum does have some new offers which would be a good deal for some people but since spectrum isn't advertising most of their new plans around here most of the people i speak too don't know about them. In my case i didn't know about the new spectrum plans until people started talking about them on here and that was after i switched to empire access. Spectrum needs to start making people more aware of there new plans if they want to keep customers, at least around here in the batavia area where there's now a 2nd option besides satellite tv.
post #2806 of 2815 Old 04-09-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Empire access is similar to greenlight networks but they offer everything time warner has including tv. Right now there offering there double and triple play packages for $65 a month for 6 months. There retail prices are slightly cheaper than spectrum and at least here in batavia empire access is becoming very popular, more popular than time warner cable/spectrum.

I'll admit spectrum does have some new offers which would be a good deal for some people but since spectrum isn't advertising most of their new plans around here most of the people i speak too don't know about them. In my case i didn't know about the new spectrum plans until people started talking about them on here and that was after i switched to empire access. Spectrum needs to start making people more aware of there new plans if they want to keep customers, at least around here in the batavia area where there's now a 2nd option besides satellite tv.
I looked up empire Access. Looks pretty nice. Greenlight, of course, is internet only. We are getting a little bit frustrated waiting for Greenlight to start running fiber in our district, but more of my neighbors need to sign up for this to happen. They do not have an advertising budget and will not even send out a simple flyer in the mail to each home that is eligible to sign up for service and pay the $10 deposit. Instead, they want us to do their work for them and spread the word.
post #2807 of 2815 Old 04-12-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Hi all, long time no see.

I had Time Warner 30/5 internet on a promo deal for $50 a month. I also for various reasons was using their modem for $10 a month. So $60. Then I was paying a bill that I was told would not get as high as it did for DirecTV of $126 a month. So... $186 a month for internet and TV. And when I say TV, I mean no premium channels at all. Just two boxes for two TV's and under contract until December.

So, a decision was made to explore what Spectrum had to offer. I visited the Spectrum store here in Webster and after careful consideration, I subscribed to a package deal that gives me 60/5 (testing at 70 to 71/6) internet, their modem (that I already had) for free since there are no more modem charges, 175 channel (Silver level) TV with one DVR that does record 6 shows at a time and a standard cable box for the second TV, and phone service (which we will never use since we are in a very nice cell plan). My total is $129 a month with tax for a year. I was told that in year two that the price would go up around $30 (I expect more due to the usual cable price increases that take place). What is nice ? The 175 channel Silver level deal includes all of the HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime channels. Those channels are part of the service with no extra charges for them...ever. The Gold level includes Starz and more channels that we will never watch.

My bottom line price beats what I was paying by almost $60 a month and I am extremely happy with the service here from Spectrum. They are also paying a $80 cancel penalty for my DirecTV.

Oh, my $10 deposit for Greenlight Networks service was paid in July, 2015 and my neighborhood is slowly climbing up the list of areas that are slated to get that service.

So, one more time. The Spectrum DVR that I have records 6 shows. the modem is a 16 X 4 channel modem. My internet flies. I would like more upload speed, but until Greenlight fiber is in my home, Spectrum 60/5 is the best that it is going to be for a while. By the way, I was told that eventually 60/5 will be 100/10 and the current 100/10 service will become 300/20 in this area due to the approval of the merger requirements that NY State set forth.
The SPECTRUM web site shows a DVR that will record one show will you watch another and has 30+ hours of storage. I have avoided talking to them since it looks like that box does not equal my current enhanced DVR from TWC/Spectrum. Obvioulsy they have some upgrades that they have not put on their website
post #2808 of 2815 Old 04-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post
The SPECTRUM web site shows a DVR that will record one show will you watch another and has 30+ hours of storage. I have avoided talking to them since it looks like that box does not equal my current enhanced DVR from TWC/Spectrum. Obvioulsy they have some upgrades that they have not put on their website
To me that sounds like one of there older DVR's boxes which are basically crap compared to their newer boxes which are normally reserved for there whole house DVR service. If i was you i would keep the DVR service you already have because it sounds better than what spectrum is currently offering.
post #2809 of 2815 Old 04-12-2017, 02:54 PM

Truthfully, the DVR capability is not all that important to me personally because we do not have a great need to record much of anything. The occasional show that the wife might be missing ... or an occasional show that I may wish to record. But we are not all that wrapped up in what is on the tube on any given day. Many times the TV is just background noise for me. All I know is that the unit I have will record six shows at a time, but I know that this feature is something that I will never, ever use. Sooner or later, Spectrum will find a way to assimilate all current Time Warner legacy customers. LOL Just remains to be seen how they are going to go about doing that.
post #2810 of 2815 Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sooner or later, Spectrum will find a way to assimilate all current Time Warner legacy customers. LOL Just remains to be seen how they are going to go about doing that.
Since time warner likes to increase everybody's bill every 12 months they could tell all of the legacy time warner customers at that time it would be cheaper to get one of the new spectrum plans. They may not do it that way but it is an option for them.
post #2811 of 2815 Old 04-13-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Since time warner likes to increase everybody's bill every 12 months they could tell all of the legacy time warner customers at that time it would be cheaper to get one of the new spectrum plans. They may not do it that way but it is an option for them.
Yes, well sooner or later the Time Warner promo deals will be over. I am not defending the service providers, but in some respects they are being held hostage by the networks that keep demanding more and more money for the broadcast rights. I keep thinking that something has to give somewhere, but it never does.
post #2812 of 2815 Old 04-14-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, but they are offering 100/10 here already. You have to call or stop by a local store and ask for it. It is not advertised. And there is a $199 activation fee in order to get it. $104.99 retail price per month. 60/5 is $64.99 a month. New customers get that for $44.99 a month for a year. I am talking for stand alone internet service.

Elsewhere around the country, 300/20 was and is being offered in former Time Warner markets not served by fiber. Also 200/20. this includes markets out in California, Texas, NY and others. A lot of infrastructure improvements were being made locally in preparation for the Time Warner Maxx upgrades before the merger took place and Charter put a freeze on everything. Nodes were being upgraded locally. They **Must** offer 300 Mbps download in the whole state by 2019 I do believe. 300 is indeed available in part (if not all) of the NY City area. 100/10 is the standard speed there. Also I believe that a portion of the Syracuse area has 300 Mbps service from what is now Spectrum.
Man, at one time i really thought rochester was progressive in their speed offerings for internet..way ahead of the "standard". We sure have fallen behind in what the "standard" is thought to be these days. So sad.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2813 of 2815 Old 04-14-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Man, at one time i really thought rochester was progressive in their speed offerings for internet..way ahead of the "standard". We sure have fallen behind in what the "standard" is thought to be these days. So sad.
Ah, no. Rochester has not been progressive in a long time when it comes to internet speeds. Time Warner upgraded other parts of the country to 300 Mbps offerings a long time ago. Parts of California, Texas, heck...even North Carolina. We have Greenlight, but they are a small time player and I am not so sure that they wish to get any bigger than what they are. I signed up for 100/20 service back in 2015 with them and I was considering the 500/50 level. But they still have my $10 deposit and we still do not have them in our neighborhood. Charter is not known for being progressive. I do not look for great things to happen with them unless they do honor the terms of the approval and upgrade us to 100/10 and 300/20 speeds by 2019.
post #2814 of 2815 Old 04-14-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Ah, no. Rochester has not been progressive in a long time when it comes to internet speeds. Time Warner upgraded other parts of the country to 300 Mbps offerings a long time ago. Parts of California, Texas, heck...even North Carolina. We have Greenlight, but they are a small time player and I am not so sure that they wish to get any bigger than what they are. I signed up for 100/20 service back in 2015 with them and I was considering the 500/50 level. But they still have my $10 deposit and we still do not have them in our neighborhood. Charter is not known for being progressive. I do not look for great things to happen with them unless they do honor the terms of the approval and upgrade us to 100/10 and 300/20 speeds by 2019.
Yeah i meant progressive around the 99-2008 years lol But yeah i signed up for greenlight as well 2 and a half years ago...recently i have been trying hard to get people to sign up on the nextdoor app...A bunch signed up but i doubt its anywhere enough to get them to come to my area(gates)
Also when i learned that when they hooked up a town, it meant they hooked up a neighborhood in that town...I pretty much gave up hope in Green light.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2815 of 2815 Old Today, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thank you for getting people to sign up for green light through the next door app. I use that app and saw your post about a week ago

Ive been time warner free since moving into gates in August 2012. It's not that hard. The frontier dsl in west gates is adaquate for me. It's $35/month and typically offers about 10 Mbps download speed and I don't know the upload speed. However, I play online games like halo 5 through my Xbox One and don't have any issues. For tv, which I watch maybe one night a week on average, I hooked up a large HDTV antenna on the roof. The reception is great, and I get between 15-20 channels. I pipe it to my pc and viola, free DVR, no monthly fees. My home phone, important since I have kids, is through magic jack, $99 for five years of voip service.

Cheers,
Rudy

Yeah i meant progressive around the 99-2008 years lol But yeah i signed up for greenlight as well 2 and a half years ago...recently i have been trying hard to get people to sign up on the nextdoor app...A bunch signed up but i doubt its anywhere enough to get them to come to my area(gates)
Also when i learned that when they hooked up a town, it meant they hooked up a neighborhood in that town...I pretty much gave up hope in Green light.[/QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception