Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #2821 of 2840 Old 05-14-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Well I finally got the bump. 23+ down, 2+up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I thought this was a OTA sub-forum?

You should be more concerned with the changes in a couple of years with channel assignments and worse yet ATSC 3!

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rochester - Rabbit Ears.png
Views:	12
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2137434  

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2823 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
I thought this was a OTA sub-forum?
That may have been the original intent but it has broadened over time to be not just OTA, but anything to do with AV and connectivity-type subjects related to and of interest to, the Rochester and immediately surrounding areas. Are you objecting to the broadening of acceptable topics?

Link: System Pix & Diagrams
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A2010, CDC-685, Oppo: BDP-93, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, SimpleControl: IP Remote, Logitech: Harmony One
ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS

post #2824 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

Just though it was odd.

What happened to TWC/Spectrum's plan to completely drop analog that I was told (by them) was suppose to be either last years or this??

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2825 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just though it was odd.

What happened to TWC/Spectrum's plan to completely drop analog that I was told (by them) was suppose to be either last years or this??
Maybe it cause too many complaints for those who don't want to change. Personally, I think it's way past time to drop all analog signals on cable.

Last edited by lflorack; Yesterday at 07:32 AM.
post #2826 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM

It's also time to drop SDV!! Dropping sixty some analog channels would double their bandwidth available, more than enough for faster Internet w/o using SDV for everything.

But, you do have to consider, not everyone has or cares to have a new TV, or for that matter wants another 'box' connected to watch TV.

post #2827 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's also time to drop SDV!! Dropping sixty some analog channels would double their bandwidth available, more than enough for faster Internet w/o using SDV for everything.

But, you do have to consider, not everyone has or cares to have a new TV, or for that matter wants another 'box' connected to watch TV.
I agree the need for a box per TV makes some people unhappy. I've never understood that issue but there are enough that do care, so it's an issue. I came from TWC originally and hated their DVR's and service reps fairly quickly. So, I moved to DirecTV. DirecTV is sooo much better in just about every way - and they required a box for each TV too. So it's not a big deal to me. I wish I could have stayed with DirecTV when we moved last July but I now have very tall trees in my back yard now so I have no line of sight to the satellites. Oh well. Anyway, digital is the way to go for many, many reasons. Eventually, the choice will be made for those resisting - even those with very old TV's can still make it work.

Last edited by lflorack; Yesterday at 07:42 AM.
post #2828 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The reason why some people don't want to loose the analog channels is because spectrum charges at least $10 for each cable box and for some people that can get very expensive so they save money by using the analog channels on some of their tv's. I believe dish and directv charge around $5 for each box which is more affordable than spectrum. I've also read on here somewhere that spectrum won't be using digital adapters so if they get rid of all the analog channels there tv customers will be forced to pay for a cable box on all their tv's which some people won't want to do. The only alternative to a cable box is the spectrum tv app which could be used on a roku.
post #2829 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
The reason why some people don't want to loose the analog channels is because spectrum charges at least $10 for each cable box and for some people that can get very expensive so they save money by using the analog channels on some of their tv's. I believe dish and directv charge around $5 for each box which is more affordable than spectrum. I've also read on here somewhere that spectrum won't be using digital adapters so if they get rid of all the analog channels there tv customers will be forced to pay for a cable box on all their tv's which some people won't want to do. The only alternative to a cable box is the spectrum tv app which could be used on a roku.
I figured it was something like that and I guess I understand to an certain extent. However, for me, there is no way I'd watch SD TV at all - let alone to save the cost of a cable box. I'd rather be without that particular TV. Added to that, HD and even 4K TV's are very cheap now that it seems like almost a minor issue. However, I guess if the extra box cost is an issue, then so is a new TV.

Having said all that, eventually, the switch to all digital will have to be made (as I p*ss off all those who do not want to switch.)

post #2830 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

I know that eventually spectrum will go all digital and when that time comes maybe they'll decide to offer digital adapters to people still using analog which would be a good alternative to people that either don't want a cable box or can't afford to have a cable box on all there TV's.

Spectrum should also think about lowering there cable box rates because if satellite TV can offer additional boxes for about $5 a month while spectrum charges $10 then spectrum should be able to match the rates already offered by there competition. But that may not happen because the top of the corporate ladder is probably full of people who are money greedy.
post #2831 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Quote:
because the top of the corporate ladder is probably full of people who are money greedy.
Nah, come on, not a chance.
I'm surprised you posted that with all these corporate fan boys here.

Anyway, have you see this new (to them) flyer and ad on TV for their 'triple play', or whatever they are calling it this month? The one with the $29.95 spread all over the ad talking about the three services (TV, Phone & Internet)??
When I first saw it, it naturally appeared to mean $30 each that one could but separately which I found real hard to believe. It took two visual pases to see the tricky worded con job that the $30 was each but you had to buy all three for the package. Which comes to $90 which is want they have been offering that package for in the past two or three years (at least in the WNY market).
The only real difference is the broadband is 50Mbps, not 30M.

Then there are their other flyer's claiming they are a better company (forgot the exact 'con' phase). Sorry, that misleading triple play ad tells me otherwise.

post #2832 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know that eventually spectrum will go all digital and when that time comes maybe they'll decide to offer digital adapters to people still using analog which would be a good alternative to people that either don't want a cable box or can't afford to have a cable box on all there TV's.
Offering adaptors would be nice to alleviate the cost of a new TV or TV's. However, wouldn't that mean they'd still have a box or some device at each TV and wouldn't they still probably have to pay for it?

Quote:
Spectrum should also think about lowering there cable box rates because if satellite TV can offer additional boxes for about $5 a month while spectrum charges $10 then spectrum should be able to match the rates already offered by there competition. But that may not happen because the top of the corporate ladder is probably full of people who are money greedy.
If I'm a consumer-only minded person, I want the absolutely lowest cost no matter what. As a Spectrum stockholder (I'm not), I'd like to see the company make as much profit as possible without being unreasonable for the services offered. If I charge too much (or provide poor service levels), people will make other choices. What's unreasonable is, of course, a matter of opinion and leaves a wide-range of 'reasonable' choices. I'm not defending Spectrum at all - I'd much rather be with DirecTV (and they charge similar or even higher prices). I guess I just don't see them as 'greedy' because they charge $10/box/month. Again, there's a wide range of opinion regarding what's reasonable or not and what's greedy or not.

post #2833 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyway, have you see this new (to them) flyer and ad on TV for their 'triple play', or whatever they are calling it this month? The one with the $29.95 spread all over the ad talking about the three services (TV, Phone & Internet)??
I've heard about this package after switching to empire access. I did look into it and read somewhere that the price advertised is only for 12 months. After that who knows how much higher it will be. You can try getting a new promotion after the first 12 months but in my experience they make it difficult to get a new promotion because when i was still with time warner aka spectrum i tried getting a new promotion more than once and each time i called i was rudely told by the rep that i can't get a new promotion. It wasn't until i threatened to cancel that they gave me what i wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
Offering adaptors would be nice to alleviate the cost of a new TV or TV's. However, wouldn't that mean they'd still have a box or some device at each TV and wouldn't they still probably have to pay for it?
You'd still have to pay for the digital adapters but they only charge about $3.50 for each adapter which is a better price especially if you don't need features like on demand and the on screen tv guide. The adapters do have a hdmi out and it comes with the hdmi cable so you can use it on a hdtv.
post #2834 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You'd still have to pay for the digital adapters but they only charge about $3.50 for each adapter which is a better price especially if you don't need features like on demand and the on screen tv guide. The adapters do have a hdmi out and it comes with the hdmi cable so you can use it on a hdtv.
The cheaper part I get - although the difference isn't too much unless you've got lots of SD TV's to worry about. Having the HDMI out is nice too - but why in the world would I buy an HDTV and hook it to an SD source? Different strokes I guess.

post #2835 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The cheaper part I get - although the difference isn't too much unless you've got lots of SD TV's to worry about. Having the HDMI out is nice too - but why in the world would I buy an HDTV and hook it to an SD source? Different strokes I guess.
The digital adapters will show hd channels. The laundry mat I go to has a digital adapter on there tv and every channel on it is in hd.
post #2836 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The digital adapters will show hd channels. The laundry mat I go to has a digital adapter on there tv and every channel on it is in hd.
HD Boxes cost $10/month and the adapters cost $3.50. That $6.50/ month difference is sufficient to keep from getting an HD box to watch HD TV now - even though they've already paid appreciably more than a full year of digital box rental, for an HDTV on which they currently watch SD TV? Also, why not get an adapter now - like the laundromat? I guess I'm not getting the logic or reasoning. Sorry for being stuck on this.

post #2837 of 2840 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

The reason why a lot of people are watching SD on a HDTV is because they think all they need to get hd is a hdtv. They don't realize they also need a hd programing source like a digital box or digital adapter. Spectrum doesn't advertize their digital adapters so most people probably don't know they exist but anybody can get one by request. When you compare the digital box to the digital adapter the digital box has more features like on demand, SDV and the on screen tv guide so if you only need standard cable channels and don't wanna pay much for a box then get the adapter, If you need more than standard cable or aren't concerned about the price then get the digital box.
post #2838 of 2840 Old Today, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The reason why a lot of people are watching SD on a HDTV is because they think all they need to get hd is a hdtv. They don't realize they also need a hd programing source like a digital box or digital adapter. Spectrum doesn't advertize their digital adapters so most people probably don't know they exist but anybody can get one by request. When you compare the digital box to the digital adapter the digital box has more features like on demand, SDV and the on screen tv guide so if you only need standard cable channels and don't wanna pay much for a box then get the adapter, If you need more than standard cable or aren't concerned about the price then get the digital box.

Thanks for your response. In a nutshell, 'technical' ignorance and being as cheap as possible, no matter what, are the drivers. That's too bad all around.

post #2839 of 2840 Old Today, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your response. So, in a nutshell, 'technical' ignorance and always going for the cheapest 'solution' no matter what are the drivers. In my experience, the cheapest solution usually produces pretty bad results. Likewise, the most expensive solution produces little more than the most expensive solution (but at least it actually works).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #2840 of 2840 Old Today, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In my experience, the cheapest solution usually produces pretty bad results. Likewise, the most expensive solution produces little more than the most expensive solution (but at least it actually works).
That's true. The cheaper products aren't always the better option. When you apply that statement to spectrum's cable boxes the digital adapters may not be the best option which is probably why i keep hearing spectrum may stop offering there adapters (Don't know if it's true or not).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception