Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #2851 of 2858 Old 06-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
I checked out your photos, you have a nice home theater setup. The ir distribution system makes it easy for you to hide your equipment so you don't ever have to see it. Kinda wish my apartment was big enough that i could setup my own home theater. My brother in law is setting up a home theater in his man cave. It probably won't be as big as yours because his is in a spare bedroom. Maybe my brother in law will invite me over one weekend and we can see a movie together in his man cave/home theater.
Thank you for your kind words. My wife and I enjoy our time in the theater room. It feels very much like an escape. The IR distribution system definitely makes a consolidated equipment room for three different viewing areas possible. Whatever space you have for a viewing setup IMHO is well worth it. I've been playing with sound and video systems for many years (I'm old!) and have always enjoyed both the effort and the result - no matter how big or small; or how capable the system was at the time.

Enjoy your man cave experience.

Link: System Pix & Diagrams
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A2010, CDC-685, Oppo: BDP-93, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, SimpleControl: IP Remote, Logitech: Harmony One
ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2858 Old 06-10-2017, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Angry Recording Missing - "Channel was not available"

Question for all of you Time Warner/Spectrum customers.

When we moved last year, we had to move away from DirecTV - which we loved for many years, due to the lack of a line of sight to the DirecTV satellites. So now, we have a whole-home DVR (up to 6 recordings at once) with two satellite boxes hooked for another TV and a projector. In addition to other recordings, I've set up the DVR to record channel 13 news at 6:00pm and the Channel 10 national news at 6:30pm each night so we can watch them later when we have time. They're both set to keep just one recording each - wiping out the earlier shows as the new ones show up, so it's obvious when one of them is missing. Every so often (2-3 weeks?), one of them won't record. When I look in the logs, it tells me it wasn't recorded because, 'the channel was not available'. Really?

Has anyone else had this issue?

post #2853 of 2858 Old 06-18-2017, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
Question for all of you Time Warner/Spectrum customers.

When we moved last year, we had to move away from DirecTV - which we loved for many years, due to the lack of a line of sight to the DirecTV satellites. So now, we have a whole-home DVR (up to 6 recordings at once) with two satellite boxes hooked for another TV and a projector. In addition to other recordings, I've set up the DVR to record channel 13 news at 6:00pm and the Channel 10 national news at 6:30pm each night so we can watch them later when we have time. They're both set to keep just one recording each - wiping out the earlier shows as the new ones show up, so it's obvious when one of them is missing. Every so often (2-3 weeks?), one of them won't record. When I look in the logs, it tells me it wasn't recorded because, 'the channel was not available'. Really?

Has anyone else had this issue?
Lee, I have not had exactly the same issue that you describe, but for the first couple of weeks after spectrum "upgraded" the software on the DVR box, I had about a half dozen shows that did not record. I never took the time to track down why since I was able to find the shows ON Demand, but I wonder if it was the same issue. Basic shows on local networks and FXX and a couple of other basic channels. The problem seems to have gone away, but I just figured it was a glitch in the initial software upgrade

post #2854 of 2858 Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post
Lee, I have not had exactly the same issue that you describe, but for the first couple of weeks after spectrum "upgraded" the software on the DVR box, I had about a half dozen shows that did not record. I never took the time to track down why since I was able to find the shows ON Demand, but I wonder if it was the same issue. Basic shows on local networks and FXX and a couple of other basic channels. The problem seems to have gone away, but I just figured it was a glitch in the initial software upgrade

Thanks Larry. I'll wait for a while to see if it continues. It's helpful to know you experienced similar issues and it stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #2855 of 2858 Old 06-18-2017, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 182
That used to happen to me back when I had the old 8300, the Tivo seems a lot better about recording. Unfortunately the season pass for sports on multiple channels does not work for the last couple of years, it did when I first got it.
post #2856 of 2858 Old 06-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
That used to happen to me back when I had the old 8300, the Tivo seems a lot better about recording. Unfortunately the season pass for sports on multiple channels does not work for the last couple of years, it did when I first got it.
One of the aggravating things about moving from away DirecTV (due to no line of site to the satellites at our new home) to TWC/Spectrum, is that in spite of the ads from TWC/Spectrum that say their system is much more stable and reliable than satellite, that's not at all the case in my experience. Even when factoring in short (and fairly rare) outages due to weather, the overall DirecTV system (software, hardware, and infrastructure) is MUCH more reliable AND CAPABLE than the TWC/Spectrum system I have now. Although TWC/Spectrum has improved since I originally moved away from it to DirecTV in 2005, it's still nowhere near as good - in every way I can think of.

I wonder if the HOA would mind if I cut down some really tall trees.......

Last edited by lflorack; 06-19-2017 at 07:22 AM.
post #2857 of 2858 Old 06-20-2017, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

I wonder if the HOA would mind if I cut down some really tall trees.......
Too bad the March wind storm didn't take them down.
post #2858 of 2858 Old 06-20-2017, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post
Too bad the March wind storm didn't take them down.

It's kind if a double-edged sword. We love the trees and their beauty when we look out back. We dislike that they block the line-of-site to the satellites. On balance, I'll take the 'forest' view I guess. It's one of the reasons we bought where we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page