AVS Forum banner

Rochester, NY - HDTV

334K views 3K replies 205 participants last post by  tshaff09 
#1 ·
TW just released their HDDVRs. Their High Def line up locally is HBO, Showtime, PBS, WB, ABC, Discovery, inHD, inHD2.

I'd really love to see CBS and ESPN sometime soon.

#9 ·
Currently you can get PBS, ABC and NBC locals in HD via TWC. FOX-HD is available OTA, but not on cable as Sinclair is making a stink about wanting money for retransmit rights. Local CBS station is dragging it's feet on switching to HD.

Obviously you need one of the HD STBs to view the HD channels.

#17 ·
I'm pretty pissed at timewarner rochester at the moment, i had an HD-DVR for 1 day on Feb 15th, it broke that night (SA8300HD). I STILL dont have an HDDVR, so i miss most of the 4 shows i bought the TV to watch, retentions dept. at TW hears from me every 3 days.

I think its rediculous that I pay $120/month to this company, and I have to download my tv shows (semi legally? illegally?) off the freakin internet to see them in HD

#18 ·
(Not much activity here in the Rochester thread, but I'll ask anyway.)

Does anyone know of an inexpensive and (if outdoor is necessary) unobtrusive antenna for OTA HDTV? I'm only looking to receive the main three networks: NBC, CBS, ABC. My own research indicates that a Channel Master 3021 might work or perhaps an indoor Zenith Silver Sensor. I'd prefer the indoor option for aesthetic reasons if possible.

I'm about 12 miles from the intended transmitters. Is anyone receiving OTA HD that can share their setup and/or experiences?

#19 ·
my friend gets all of the channels OTA from his basement in Greece with a silver sensor. He lives on Stone Road near it's intersection with Ridge Road.

Again, this is from his basement (silver sensor next to a window in the basement)

i think he picked it up at sears for a little more than internet price, but he got to play with it _right now_ instead of in a week

#21 ·
Hopefully you don't like CSI/CSI Miami/CSI NY, or anythong on CBS, super craptastic non-HD channel 8. I call about once a week to let them know I download the TV shows that they show on their channel off of the internet, bypassing their advertising stream, due to their non-broadcast in HD.

Same thing with Fox. I have cable, i wish sinclair and time warner would work out their crap, I dont even go to that channel anymore, i hope there's no good tv shows on it

#23 ·
Check your PM's for where

I view them on my modchipped xbox running XBox Media Center, however you could also output them with any video output card that does 480p. Quality is AWESOME compared to OTA analog crap i'm currently being fed by CBS. Files are 720x480 xvid (mpeg4), ~170meg for 30 min, or 350 meg for an hour long show (~45 minutes of actual show)

#24 ·
I went and bought a large combination VHF UHF antenna supposedly good for 120 miles. I have DTV satellite but wanted locals in HD. I can get PBS and Fox and they have a great picture, but ABC, NBC, and CBS nothing. even analog is real snowy. I have a Samsung Sir t360 HD receiver, Sony KP57 ws500 TV I bought diplexers for both ends so I could use the same cable, the signal meter goes from 45% to 79% on the locals but still nothing, searching for signal is all I get. The antenna is about 20' in the air but I live on top of a hill and should get a pretty clear shot to Rochester. Am I doing something wrong? In the day's when all we had were rooftop antenna's I had a smaller one and got a great picture.

#25 ·
PBS and Fox are the only channels currently doing HD at full power. CBS only has SD digital garbage. ABC and NBC are low power, many people can't even receive them OTA in Rochester itself. I don't think any antenna could pick the low power stations up from Canandaigua.

You may have better luck pointing towards Syracuse.

#26 ·
Thanks for explaining things I thought I had done something wrong. Is there a date when they will have it up to full power?